test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AT Suggestion - "The Laser Knight"

bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Suggestions Box
Here's my idea for a new AT which uses the various laser sword powers. The basic concept is a sci-fi swordsman. I wanted to go for something that's *not* a Jedi. It will use a defensive passive, but I was thinking it would be in the Hybrid role. I'd give it the Protector and Brawler Specializations, so one can focus more on the tanking or DPS angle.

Primary Super Stat: CON
Secondary Super Stats: DEX, INT

Power progression:

1. Laser Edge
1. Laser Sword
6. Lightspeed Dash
8. Defiance
11. Lightwave Slash
14. Form of the Tempest
17. Sparkstorm or Mini-Mines
21: Energy Shield
25: Plasma Cutter
30: Molecular Self Assembly
35: Unbreakable or Electric Sheath
40: Energy Wave
<::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
"Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Any thoughts or input on this AT?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • cyberruckcyberruck Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Any thoughts or input on this AT?
    good idea.
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It will use a defensive passive, but I was thinking it would be in the Hybrid role. I'd give it the Protector and Brawler Specializations, so one can focus more on the tanking or DPS angle.

Power progression:

1. Laser Edge
    1. Laser Sword
    6. Lightspeed Dash
    8. Defiance
    11. Lightwave Slash
    14. Form of the Tempest

Sounds like it would work, but I think there are a few problems left in the concept.

1) I know you chose Defiance because you considered it the best passive power. But this is an archetype, so it would rather have a power to fit the theme: Invulnerability or Electric Form.
    2) Dexterity doesn't do much for this build, as it is not build for either critical hits or dodging. It may help building stacks of Focus, but...
    3) lets be honest: Form of the Tempest is at best a substitute, because there is no other Form that really works with this build.
    3) Mini-Mines is completely unnecessary. It is weak and deals Fire damage insted of Particle or Electricity.
    3) Molecular Self Assembly works only with cooldowns. But this build doesn't have any, aside from the active offense/defense.

I think we need a few more powers; at least a Form and another strong Laser Sword power, to make this archetype truly complete.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't get what the OP was going for. Defiance makes little sense in the set, even as a hybrid. A melee set, and it isn't using strength either, and dex was chosen of course for critical rate, even though you don't need dex anymore to get a decent critical rate. over all, the build looks like it was meant as some sort of pseudo PvP idea with bizarre renditions for powers that have no synergy and being absolutely worthless to the set, such as molecular self assembly.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Powers in the AT that have cooldowns:

Lightspeed dash
    Mini-mines
    Unbreakable or Electric Sheath
    Energy wave

Reason for choosing defiance:

It is a defensive passive but provides energy on hits in order to fuel your further attacks.

I admit mini-mines isn't a strong power, but they deploy right where you are and thus can be quickly released for a little more damage, or they can be placed ahead of time and enemies can be drawn to where they are. It also would allow the player to choose to be more "energy based" or a little more "gadget based". Since the passive has nothing to do w/ boosting a particular damage type, this works just fine.

Dexterity has no real influence on dodge, (unless it was your primary super stat), so it's really there for the crits. Again, since this AT would be in the Hybrid role, one could focus on those crits to make it more of a melee DPS or could instead focus on the CON aspect for better tanking. By taking the specialization in the Protector tree that improves threat while in the hybrid role, they can accomplish the latter. By focusing on the offensive specs in the Brawler tree, they could improve the melee DPS aspect.

STR was purposely left out of the AT as its main way of dealing damage would be through plasma burns and crits.

PvP was not a concern as to this build at all - I was thinking what would be fun.

Other thoughts:

Sparkstorm was included because it can be advantaged to be a toggle, meaning you could activate it as you go into combat and simply use your regular attacks, while getting the extra damage and some control via its periodic knocks.

Unbreakable and Electric Sheath were chosen because one provides much better defense, but the other can actually be advantaged to provide a *little* defense as well, (via the matter-energy union advantage). SO a player would have to decide if they want better defense for tanking or better damage w/ perhaps a little defense for DPS-ing.
  • tharkantharkan Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Here's my idea for a new AT which uses the various laser sword powers. The basic concept is a sci-fi swordsman. I wanted to go for something that's *not* a Jedi. It will use a defensive passive, but I was thinking it would be in the Hybrid role. I'd give it the Protector and Brawler Specializations, so one can focus more on the tanking or DPS angle.

Power progression:

1. Laser Edge
    1. Laser Sword
    6. Lightspeed Dash
    8. Defiance
    11. Lightwave Slash
    14. Form of the Tempest
    Didn't they already (kinda) do this with The Unleashed?
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tharkan wrote: »
    Didn't they already (kinda) do this with The Unleashed?

The Unleashed is nowhere near that. It's a Dual Blades/Force build that knocks lot. And it doesn't even use laser swords. Those are VIBRO swords.