test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Returning players Re-gearing your old 40s mark 2

forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
edited July 2012 in Power Discussion
I was kinda hoping somebody more coherent than I would re do this but here goes (again) in a slightly more organised way. (I hope)

Welcome back returning players (to be known henceforth as returners - holds up fingers in sign of cross) and here goes...

You will have lost 60 -120 from your stats because of the removal of 3 x secondaries but thanks to the new Stat Trees and gear this will not make a big deal of difference.
Mods, moddable gear and modifying:
Mods are Enhancements, Armors, Gems and Cores. These can be obtained as drops from mobs or the old crafting nodes. You can not get better than R4 mods from the highest level nodes but you may also get a catalyst. They are a pretty common drop from mobs mostly rank 4s but sometimes rank 5s.
Enhancements and Armors give stat bonuses depending on rank and level. A rank 5 recovery enhancement will give +55 Recovery at level 40 a rank 4 will give +51.
Cores give secondary bonuses like Crit Severity, Crit Chance, Dodge, Avodance etc. They are tied to a specific kind or upgrade. Cores do not drop AFAICT but can be awarded for some missions Gems are much better.
Gems are like cores but more flexible and give a different kind of bonus depending on which upgrade they are slotted into. Example Gamblers Lucky Gem Rank 5 at level 40 will give the following bonuses if slotted into...
Primary Defence +127 Dodge chance
Primary Offence +85 Crit chance
Primary Utility +85 Power Cost Discount
Fusion.. You can fuse stacks of 5 mods to create a single higher level mod e,g, 5 x R4 mods can be fused into 1 x R5 mod. Your current skill level has an effect on your chances of successful fusion esp when fusing higher rank mods. If you fail you will lose one of the mods you tried to fuse.
Very Important.. Avoidance Cores are very very rare It is Highly recommended that if you want dodge/avoidance on your primary defence you should get Heroic Breastplate of Agility and slot a Gamblers Lucky gem to get the dodge.
the wiki entry on mods/fusion
Follow the links in wiki to get a good idea of whats going on.

New Upgrades
The best easily available primary gear is the Silver Recognition Gear which costs 35 Silver Recog for one primary upgrade. The vendors for this are in the back of the Mysticism Crafting bit of the Ren Centre.

Heroic Breastplate of +29 defence unless otherwise stated
defense +49 defence
agility +139 avoidance
freedom +46 crowd control resist
elusiveness +139 dodge
greater health +676 health
All have 2 x armor slots, 1 x core/gem slot

Heroic gloves of +68 offence +19 defence unless otherwise stated
Precision +95 critical strike
Healing +28% healing
Offence +135 Offense
Piercing +4.6 crit severity
Growth +23 primary stat
All have 2 x enhancements, 1 x core/gem slot

Heroic helmet of +19 defence unless otherwise stated
Speed +186 cooldown reduction +93 cost discount
Efficiency +93 cooldown reduction +186 cost discount
Energy +14 maximum energy +93 cooldown reduction +93 cost discount
Topography +139 minimap radius +93 cooldown reduction +93 cost discount
Utility +139 cooldown reduction +139 cost discount
All have 1 x armor, 1 x enhancement, 1 x core/gem slots

Gaining Silver Recognition can best be done by doing Unity and Unity 2 missions these give 18 Silver Recog each as you go through the missions.
http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/UNITY_Missions
http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/UNITY_2_Missions
Silver Recog can also be gotten from some of the big lairs but doing Therakiels temple is kinda time consuming and the Unity/Unity 2 missions are much better suited for the kind of grind you need to do.

As you do these missions you will pick up Primary and Secondary upgrades (much better than the old ones) and Mods usually R4 and R5 ones. Experiment a little with the modding process using the Blue and green primary upgrades that you collect and some of your R4 mods. New Secondary upgrades will also have a secondary effect less than primary obviously but this makes em way better than the old stuff. Purple secondaries are fairly common pickups and not that expensive on the AH except for Dex/Int ones obviously.
My advice is to wait until you have enough to buy 3 x spanking new primary upgrades from the Silver Recog vendors before fully re-gearing, the new upgrades are very flexible and only limited by the availabilty of your mods.
Having got a stack of mods and nice new Purple Primaries I suggest using only R5 mods on these items. As I said you should have a stack of the things floating around by now anyway but any small shortage can be made up for at the AH. Having sold off most of your gear you should be fairly rich now anyhow.

V Important If you mouse over an old material or stack of materials you will get the option to convert all your old materials into mods although these are level 1 mods you also get a bunch of catalysts including SAFEGUARD CATALYSTS. Safeguard Catalysts ensure that if your modding attempt fails you will not lose any of mods. Safeguards can also be purchased from the C-Store. Other catalysts give a bonus to the chance of successful fusion.
In theory you can fuse your way up to R9 Mods, but it is not recommended unless you have acquired a massive stack of R5s which if you keep playing may well happen.
If you happen to have a shared account bank then you're laughing coz you can stick all your R5 mods in there and centralise your collection of mods so that any of your toons can mod up they're shiny new upgrades.

Q. Is all the old gear now totally useless?
A. Mostly except for costume unlock pieces like the Nephilim wings for example, some of the Power Replacer items (That fancy sniper rifle can't remember the name of it). Also Health on kill secondaries (preferably elite quality) maybe Energy on kill, these types of power no longer exist on the new gear/mods. Having said that the Rush of Battle option on the Vindicator skill tree gives health on kill and the Power Swell option in Dex tree gives cost reduction on Crit.
Q. Will I be able to get along with just my old obsolete gear.
A. Yep there is no longer any diff in the drop rate between Normal and Elite so just do your Unity/Unity 2s on Normal if you're having a hard time.
Q. Do the Unities have a cooldown?
A. Yes (can't remember how long) but you can do both the Unity and Unity 2 then switch to another 40 and keep grinding.
Q. Is there any other kind of gear grind?
A. Oh Yes
1. Nemesis Tokens can now get you Heirloom Gear. Heirloom gear can be great for a levelling up toon it provides a good boost to your stats and an XP bonus but will not bonus any other stat up. Heirloom gear also unlocks account wide.
http://i47.tinypic.com/1j2p0o.jpg
Notice also the glowing eyes effect from wearing 3+ pieces of heirloom gear.
2. Questionite Grinding will (eventually) give you some nice primary and secondary gear but it's not as easy as Silver Recog Grinding.
Q. So what about PVP gear?
A. At this time there is little PVP gear to be had but the stuff that is available is quite tasty. Also the missing top tier of Secondaries comes back for PVP specific Gear which has things like Defense Penetration on it.
Q. Some of these gems have stuff like CC Resist on them does this matter?
A. Thanks to changes in hold mechanics PVP is now Snipers(ranged damage) on line, melee is heavily impacted by CC resist and the changes AFAIK. As far as PVE is concerned I haven't bothered slotting any CC resist and have seen no ill effects because of this.
Q. Is there any way to get R6 or better mods other than Fusion?
A. I heard that Telieosaurus drops R6s occaisionally but I don't know for sure. Also if you want to waste a lot of real money you can get some fancy catalysts from the C-Store but you'd be spending real money man!

This was prompted by a talk I had with an old friend, If somebody wants to correct any of this or perhaps do the whole thing better (and get it stickied) feel free to do so Mentioning no names Kenpo! And reprompted by a new friend who happened to have been away for a bit.

Other places on Forums to visit.
fast info on the spec trees
Info on spec trees
Doc Sages guide and analysis to spec trees
A guide with build recommendations to spec trees.

One additional thing...
Using heroic gloves of precision with an R5 Gamblers lucky gem and a crit chance secondary gives 96 + 85 +46 bonus crit chance, along with Moment of Glory from Pre tree gave my otherwise non dex healer a 37% crit probability.
Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
Post edited by forrksakesexco on

Comments

• Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Having got a stack of mods and nice new Purple Primaries I suggest using only R5 mods on these items...
    Q. Is there any way to get R6 or better mods other than Fusion?...
    In theory you can fuse your way up to R9 Mods, but it is not recommended unless you have acquired a massive stack of R5s which if you keep playing may well happen...
    /agreed (anything else is overkill UNLESS you're a min/maxer to the Nth degree :wink: )
    As I said you should have a stack of the things floating around by now anyway but any small shortage can be made up for at the AH.
    Having sold off most of your gear you should be fairly rich now anyhow.
    Somewhere in the range of 500G after farming for 3 pieces of Primary Sivler recog gear.
    Important If you mouse over an old material or stack of materials you will get the option to convert all your old materials (CTRL+R.Click>on character and/or IN BANK) into mods although these are level 1 mods you also get a bunch of catalysts including SAFEGUARD CATALYSTS...
    I personally emptied a SG bank of old gear and ended up with 396 Safeguard C's.
    Your milage may vary :cool:
    Safeguard Catalysts ensure that if your modding attempt fails you will not lose any of mods.
    Safeguards can also be purchased from the C-Store.
    Other catalysts give a bonus to the chance of successful fusion...
    From my experience, fuse naked (no % or safeguards) to 3, use a SG Catalyst on fusing 4-5, and call it a day :biggrin:
    Q. Is there any other kind of gear grind?
    A. Oh Yes

Nemesis Tokens can now get you Heirloom Gear.
    Heirloom gear can be great for a levelling up toon it provides a good boost to your stats and an XP bonus but will not bonus any other stat up. Heirloom gear also unlocks account wide.
    http://i47.tinypic.com/1j2p0o.jpg
    Notice also the glowing eyes effect from wearing 3+ pieces of heirloom gear...
    For shame :redface: You forgot the wiki link to NEM/heirloom gear!
    ...Questionite Grinding will (eventually) give you some nice primary and secondary gear but it's not as easy as Silver Recog Grinding...
    Q Secondaries may out "stat" random/dropped Purple Secondaries.
    But IMhO, they're less important to the average players gear.
    For one, they're REALLY expensive Q wise (100kQ).
    For another, they restrict your stat spread by only boosting your Primart/Secondary stats.
    Yes, they go to 44 (random drops stop at 40), and they give a TINY more "Def/Off/etc".
    But IMhO, they're really not worth it (again unless you're a min/maxer to the Nth degree).

'Caine
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?