test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Who the heck is John Devil?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
So I was joining in on a fellow SG member's first Nemesis encounter and after completing it I noticed a strange fellow in the crowd by the name of John Devil. He was a lv40 Supervillian whom I was able to target but couldn't attack. He just stood there with his arms crossed looking into the distance...

It really creeped me out.
His description was even creepy...something about don't make deals with him because he always wins or something like that.

I tried to take a screenie, but it didnt save for some reason. Afterwards, I began searching around for forum posts to see if anyone else encountered him. I found a few dating back from 09.' Some people say that he also appears during a Lemurian mission. Its just weird to me because I've made numerous nemesis before and never once had seen him until now.

Anyone else spotted his CO urban legend?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I remember this guy. The person who mentioned him back in '09 had taken a picture as well, but it was horribly corrupted and resulted in this horrible looking blend of colors. I'll try to recall the picture for this post.

What's more interesting is that said player apparently had disappeared 5 days after posting the picture. At least, that was his last post on the forums. Let's just hope this doesn't mean anything bad for others who might spot him...
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Crap, Bluh, don't start some creepypasta! ._.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I just did some research and came up with some interesting findings.

Technically, John Devil is the world's first Super Villain.
    From Wikipedia:
    "The definition of a supervillain is a villain who can defeat other villains. By some definitions, the first supervillain was John Devil, a proto-Fant
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I find it interesting that he doesn't appear in the Champion online wikipedia. Sounds like something straight out of .hack if you ask me. Guess we'll have to wait for some coma reports. :P

edit: Using the search function I found three threads that talk about him from like... 2009. One had a url to a pic, but it has gone missing.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    You mean the dude whos talkin to Poe in 1st nemesis mission in the Museum?

The Brigades.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Congratz Dude, looks like you just ran into one of the Games' Uber Rare Easter Eggs.
    I've managed to find two others myself.
    The Bridge Troll
    And The Happy Fun Ball
    There is also an Actress from several "B" grade horror and ScyFye movies that tends to be seen very rarely in Crowd scenes.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    You did spot Superm...Clark Kent there?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Bluhman wrote:
    I remember this guy. The person who mentioned him back in '09 had taken a picture as well, but it was horribly corrupted and resulted in this horrible looking blend of colors. I'll try to recall the picture for this post.

What's more interesting is that said player apparently had disappeared 5 days after posting the picture. At least, that was his last post on the forums. Let's just hope this doesn't mean anything bad for others who might spot him...

Ok Bluhman, I'm already freaked out,don't make it worse. lol. Whats weird about what you posted is that I tried taking a pic of him and his bio and it didn't save. I swear I pressed the Prtsc button like 5-6 times to make sure I got the pic and it DID NOT SAVE! And then I find the post from that guy in 09' and his pic doesnt exist. :confused:

BDragon4 wrote:
    I just did some research and came up with some interesting findings.

Technically, John Devil is the world's first Super Villain.
    From Wikipedia:
    "The definition of a supervillain is a villain who can defeat other villains. By some definitions, the first supervillain was John Devil, a proto-Fant
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Shysta118 wrote:
    Ok Bluhman, I'm already freaked out,don't make it worse. lol. Whats weird about what you posted is that I tried taking a pic of him and his bio and it didn't save. I swear I pressed the Prtsc button like 5-6 times to make sure I got the pic and it DID NOT SAVE! And then I find the post from that guy in 09' and his pic doesnt exist. :confused:

For the sake of my mortal soul, I'm just going to pretend he isn't there.

At all.

Yup, in full denial.

He's still staring at me isn't he? ISN'T HE?

GET ME OUTTA HERE! :eek:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I'll see you all in five days... If you still exist <.< >.> bwahahahaha *evil laughy arm pumping upside down handy thing!*
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    He's in the Museum Heist nemesis starter-mission every time, and says something akin to "You wont regret this deal. Trust me.", sometimes even has voice over for it, though it seems random. Also present in the cut scene is the Drifter, who more commonly has his voice over present. Both disappear when the cut scene ends, but if you scroll waaaaaaaaaaaay up through the nemesis' rambling dialogue you can find their lines in the npc chat. I just figured both were there because it's supposed to be a rather auspicious event, given that it's the first time X nemesis makes their appearance and all that jazz.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    This is both creepy and awesome.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Well this game became more interesting. I'll be on the look out for this "John Devil" and bring more proof! Now where is my trusty Devil-Catching Net?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Shysta118 wrote:
    So I was joining in on a fellow SG member's first Nemesis encounter and after completing it I noticed a strange fellow in the crowd by the name of John Devil. He was a lv40 Supervillian whom I was able to target but couldn't attack. He just stood there with his arms crossed looking into the distance...

It really creeped me out.
    His description was even creepy...something about don't make deals with him because he always wins or something like that.

I tried to take a screenie, but it didnt save for some reason. Afterwards, I began searching around for forum posts to see if anyone else encountered him. I found a few dating back from 09.' Some people say that he also appears during a Lemurian mission. Its just weird to me because I've made numerous nemesis before and never once had seen him until now.

Anyone else spotted his CO urban legend?

For those who say villains in CO arnt evil enough ..we have FREAKING SATAN!!...ya Marvel Super Hero Squad doesnt have that :P
  • Options
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Nepht wrote:
    For those who say villains in CO arnt evil enough ..we have FREAKING SATAN!!...ya Marvel Super Hero Squad doesnt have that :P

Um, Marvel has Satan too - most infamously, Joey Quesadilla wrote it so Peter Parker sacrified his marriage and about forty or so years of comic canon to the guy to save his auntie.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Um, Marvel has Satan too - most infamously, Joey Quesadilla wrote it so Peter Parker sacrified his marriage and about forty or so years of comic canon to the guy to save his auntie.

But does Marvel's Satan stand off in the distance, eerily watching the superheroes as a villain that no one knew existed?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Nope, not exactly.
    Mephisto is an extra-dimensional demon whose origin is unknown. He rules a fiery pocket dimension that he calls "Hell" or "Hades" although it is neither the hell of the Christian religion nor the Hades ruled by Pluto, the Olympian god of the dead. Mephisto calls his extra-dimensional realm "hell" in order to exploit Earth human beings' belief in a single being of absolute evil, who is often referred to as Satan, who rules such a realm. Mephisto resembles the traditional visual conception of the devil. (It is not known whether this is Mephisto's true appearance, or one that he has adopted in order to resemble the devil). He also allows himself to be called names that human beings give to their conceptions of devils, such as Mephisto, a shortened form of Mephistopheles, the name given to the devil in the Faust legends. Indeed, Mephisto has allowed people to believe him to be Satan himself. However, Mephisto is not the Biblical Satan, nor is he an actual devil such as those depicted by Judaism and Christianity. The "real" Satan has yet to be seen in any account
    Source.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Nope, not exactly.

Source.

<tinfoilhat> That's obviously just what they WANT you to think. </tinfoilhat>
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Arktonyel wrote:
    Well this game became more interesting. I'll be on the look out for this "John Devil" and bring more proof! Now where is my trusty Devil-Catching Net?
    I think its cool how CO has it own type of Urban Legend now. But seriously...We should make "John Devil sighting" thread. :D

And for those who have stated that he's always there...Maybe I could have just over-looked him...But I swear I've never seen him there before.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I've done the mission before and not seen John Devil. Only seen him there once or twice. Maybe he's just supposed to be there for the cutscene, and a glitch sometimes makes him stay there?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Obligatory Quote from 'The Usual Suspects' -

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

:cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Marvel has lots of demons running around as seen here. Also: I now have extra incentive towards playing my alt, I'll be on the lookout for this John Devil character. IMO great pop culture reference there as shown by BDragon4.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! *insert James earl Jones here * dont remind us that was awful nearly as bad as DC's Harley reboot :P

Na I was pok'ing fun at the kiddy MHS I dont think Mephistopheles is in that one :3
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Woah...

I just realized that I've also seen John Devil one or two times in that mission but never realized it. I always overlooked him because of his plain outfit and thought it was actually Kevin Poe offering some random guy a deal!

Well, I gues now we know where Kevin got his new Darkness powers from... And now speak it with me and feel the evil: John Devil ALERT!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    And now speak it with me and feel the evil: John Devil ALERT!

Dude... FUND IT.

Though I can't help but wonder why, if this guy is who we all seem to think he is, why he picked such an obvious giveaway surname. No effort at all...
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Dude... FUND IT.

Though I can't help but wonder why, if this guy is who we all seem to think he is, why he picked such an obvious giveaway surname. No effort at all...

Well, considering the fact that so few people seem to notice him, he seems to be quite good at his thing. And if he really is the Old Scratch, it's not like he needs to hide anyway.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Well, considering the fact that so few people seem to notice him, he seems to be quite good at his thing. And if he really is the Old Scratch, it's not like he needs to hide anyway.

The greatest trick, etc. etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Shysta118 wrote:
    I think its cool how CO has it own type of Urban Legend now. But seriously...We should make "John Devil sighting" thread. :D.

I'll get right on that. As soon as I find my Devil-Net!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    This is a really cool find. Well done everyone!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Nepht wrote:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! *insert James earl Jones here * dont remind us that was awful nearly as bad as DC's Harley reboot :P

Na I was pok'ing fun at the kiddy MHS I dont think Mephistopheles is in that one :3

Joe Quesadilla's meddling in Spider-man had a lot more overall impact than DC giving Harley pretty much the same origin process as the Joker.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Joe Quesadilla's meddling in Spider-man had a lot more overall impact than DC giving Harley pretty much the same origin process as the Joker.

Very true but Spider-Man doesnt look like a bum ..Spidey still looks like Spidey :P
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    For those of you that want to see him.

Attachment not found.

Btw he was also chatting with Kevin Poe at the time.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I had no idea people were interested in him. Here's an old picture of him, don't know if he's had any costume updates in... two years.

I also saw someone mention The Drifter, so here's an old picture of him as well!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I had no idea people were interested in him. Here's an old picture of him, don't know if he's had any costume updates in... two years.

I also saw someone mention The Drifter, so here's an old picture of him as well!

Well Nephthys fears not the devil..been looking for that little runt. Now I knows were he has been hiding. He owes me like 5000 years worth of alimony. My lawyers have been informed of his whereabouts.

You ever see manimal rat lawyers not pretty sight.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Nepht wrote:
    My lawyers have been informed of his whereabouts.

You ever see manimal rat lawyers not pretty sight.

Does he accept Cheesia or Master Cheddar as a form of payment?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I'm still eager to see if he shows up in Lemuria as someone said. If anyone can get a confirmation of that (if I don't first) that'd be much appreciated as well.
    Well, I gues now we know where Kevin got his new Darkness powers from... And now speak it with me and feel the evil: John Devil ALERT!

Heeeeey, I never thought about that. I did find it odd how Poe weent from TK/Force to Dark/Muni. And I definitely /sign for a JD alert....This would be freakin' EPIC!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Screw a JD alert. He needs his own quest line for people level 40 with dailies that unlock cool costume pieces and gear!

edit: This being instead of something like a one minute grab alert for example. I mean he looks to be pulling a lot of strings, so to speak.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    The John Devil alert should be one of moral dilemma and consequences.

He's captured The Drifter and it's up to the heroes whether or not Mr. Devil kills him.

The Drifter can die a second time as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    The John Devil alert should be one of moral dilemma and consequences.

He's captured The Drifter and it's up to the heroes whether or not Mr. Devil kills him.

The Drifter can die a second time as far as I'm concerned.

Just because he's immortal doesn't mean it's okay to hurl him under a bus. His powerset (talking about PnP here) puts him on par with the DC heavy hitters. Why make someone like that angry at you?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Tabouli wrote:
    Screw a JD alert. He needs his own quest line for people level 40 with dailies that unlock cool costume pieces and gear!

edit: This being instead of something like a one minute grab alert for example. I mean he looks to be pulling a lot of strings, so to speak.

Fighting the Devil?

...so are we going to get Georgia as a zone in the next content patch?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    John Devil actually showing the Kings of Edom or DEMON a thing or two about true evil would be cool... Let's face it, that guy needs his own quest line/Alert/whatever!

BTW, fun fact: In the PnP lore there isn't one single devil. The Netherworld is ruled by several archdemons who also plot and scheme against each other for dominance and influence, so John Devil could actually be some kind of... envoy?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    John Devil actually showing the Kings of Edom or DEMON a thing or two about true evil would be cool... Let's face it, that guy needs his own quest line/Alert/whatever!

I just pictured the end of the Aftershock mission, where the Champions face the Kings of Edom (or rather, the player in the role of one of their Avatars)...

...and John casually strolling through the middle of the fight, looking at the Kings, and flippantly going "Okay, that's enough, this is just sad. Go home and stop embarassing yourselves." like a cross between a disappointed father and Graham Chapman playing the soldier in the Monty Python skits (you know, the "this is too silly" guy).

And they do.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

BTW, fun fact: In the PnP lore there isn't one single devil. The Netherworld is ruled by several archdemons who also plot and scheme against each other for dominance and influence, so John Devil could actually be some kind of... envoy?

In Champions Lore, the Dragon is the ultimate in Evil. The Dragon is the evil in all mankind made manifest.

I think John Devil would work best is to keep him a total mystery. Just have him show up in various time and locations with some quote. It may have everything to do with the evil afoot or noting at all. And it may be that John Devil is an incarnation of The Dragon, or not. :confused::)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    fuzun wrote:
    In Champions Lore, the Dragon is the ultimate in Evil in Champions Lore. The Dragon is the evil in all mankind made manifest.

I think John Devil would work best is to keep him a total mystery. Just have him show up in various time and locations with some quote. It may have everything to do with the evil afoot or noting at all. And it may be that John Devil is an incarnation of The Dragon, or not. :confused::)

Good point, it could go either way: An incarnation of the Dragon or a spawn of the Netherworld, even though I'd go for the second, simply because almost every incarnation of the Dragon was well... a dragon. Or at least somehow related to reptiles (Tiamat, Jormungand, the Death Dragon etc.)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    fuzun wrote:
    In Champions Lore, the Dragon is the ultimate in Evil. The Dragon is the evil in all mankind made manifest.

I'd imagine they could use him like Plokta from the last Captain Britain series; as someone who can grant you your hearts desire.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Shysta118 wrote:
    I think its cool how CO has it own type of Urban Legend now. But seriously...We should make "John Devil sighting" thread. :D

And for those who have stated that he's always there...Maybe I could have just over-looked him...But I swear I've never seen him there before.

My cousin's friend that he went to camp with saw him and I heard that no one ever went back to that camp again.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    pYOZH.jpg

Caught a pic just as his words were fading out. Funny...I don't recall seeing the words there when I first took the pic.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

why is Kevin Poe at an art exhibit, with armed guards, just to talk to this guy?

They HAVE to be up to something.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    The next thing I knew...my nemesis appeared...while both John and Kevin were nowhere to be found.

Were they in on it? Was it coincidence?
    My nemesis never mentioned their involvement in her scheme...then again, she was never the type to share credit.
    At any rate, after wading through piles of henchmen, I was about to put the final nail in her coffin when she vanished into a cloud of smoke.
    I helped the remaining museum patrons to their feet and dashed to the exit.

As I headed back to Rencen to talk to Defender about it, I did hear what might have been laughter coming from the west.