test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PTS Update FC.28.20120515.0

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Honestly Sentinel Aura really needed that nerf. I knew of a lot of people that would just take sentinel spec just for the Aura alone... it was that good. It was outperforming any other similar powers, and heck... even without any +healing did better than most regens on the game.

I am glad that Cryptic had the.... courage (to not use other word) to nerf this OP power that shouldn't had been this powerful to begin with.
    edited May 2012
    Dr.Sage wrote:
    That'd make it damn-near useless for bubble builds, not "make their lives easier". Leave it as a heal over time, please.

Few problems with that.

First, most obviously: so have it affect received bubbles too. All of the other Sentinel/Support skills I can think of offhand treat bubbles and heals the same for % increases. And above all else, this would buff PFF (almost perceptibly)! Woo!

Second, fridge logic: if you're using an HoT, you aren't a strictly bubble build. Hey, what's your passive? Besides, there's only one ally bubble power that isn't also a heal.

Third: By "make their lives easier," a large part of what I mean is, "not force them to respec every time it's discovered Sentinel Aura is still OP."

Also, this would allow for an IDF-like stacking, as opposed to the now-produced nonstacking behavior.
    edited May 2012
    A lot of balance has been needed. It's like people proclaiming that might was nerfed before it got aggressor (it wasn't, some powers that rooted lost the root and lost a little damage as a result of the root being removed).

There are still some glaring issues floating around, and the elephants look like they are finally being addressed as they should have been.
    edited May 2012
    1.) Forms may need different trigger sources (ex: crit for Concentration; be hit for enrage). Like Form of the Tempest vs Form of the Tiger.

2.) Nerf the sentinel aura is good. However, please also remove the heal bouns applied on it. 'Cause no other spec aura skill accept extra bouns. Compare with other spec auras, some standard amount should be fair enough.
    edited May 2012
    Has Medical Nanites' passive healing (and Seraphim's, though it's much more pronounced on Nanites) producing healing aggro when (as several devs have stated) this is a bug and it should not be doing so been fixed? Especially with the big boost in Support role, as it will be much much harder to deal with. Before, if you had a tank who knew what they were doing it was only rarely a problem, now... it could seriously be hard to out-tank.
    edited May 2012
    Silverspar wrote:
    A lot of balance has been needed. It's like people proclaiming that might was nerfed before it got aggressor (it wasn't, some powers that rooted lost the root and lost a little damage as a result of the root being removed).

There are still some glaring issues floating around, and the elephants look like they are finally being addressed as they should have been.

Might powers did have their damage reduced when aggressor came out and it had nothing to do with roots.
    edited May 2012
    The change to enrage still makes Beastial supernatural very weak. Enrage for them is 1/3 of their damage, anyone knows beast uses rage. Without enrage they can only generate 1 stack of it on their own and they don't have any knocks even if we were to pick up the toggle.
    edited May 2012
    Argh, I'm so confused. Cryptic is denying that such a nerf ever happened, does anyone have any reliable documentation? :confused:
    edited May 2012
    Arafelis wrote:
    Few problems with that.

First, most obviously: so have it affect received bubbles too. All of the other Sentinel/Support skills I can think of offhand treat bubbles and heals the same for % increases. And above all else, this would buff PFF (almost perceptibly)! Woo!

Second, fridge logic: if you're using an HoT, you aren't a strictly bubble build. Hey, what's your passive? Besides, there's only one ally bubble power that isn't also a heal.

Third: By "make their lives easier," a large part of what I mean is, "not force them to respec every time it's discovered Sentinel Aura is still OP."

I'm pretty sure Beacon of Hope doesn't buff shields applied. Now, if instead you meant a general buff to "things that benefit from +% healing", that's not quite as horrible. But at the moment, a lot of "healing" buffs don't actually affect shields. Nothing with the crit-based healing specs, nothing with Illumination, nothing with Seraphim, nothing with the heal buff from Presence Mastery that gets applied after a shield. Last I checked, Fortify doesn't benefit it either, but that was several patches ago.

Your choices are Pre, +% healing, the specs in a couple of the support trees that specifically mention "shields" (tied to either a Blast or Combo in Overseer/Arbiter) or Offense (when using Repurpose). Oh, and Repurpose only benefits from gear +Offense, not from specs or anything else (unlike every other +Offense-related spec in the game).

AoPM's the passive I'm currently using (because nothing else buffs shields), and Sentinel Aura frees me up from having to spam a heal under the shield as much. Now, you want to make a team-affecting version of PFF? I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. But until then, AoPM's about the only game in town.

And I'd rather they get the Sentinel Aura nerf out of the way now. I even stated in my Spec tree guide that I was expecting it to get a nerf. I just wasn't expecting a 70% decrease.
    edited May 2012
    Gonna agree that 70% is a bit much, i hope that number is still subjective till we can further test it. I can understand the nerf being need but that is just...a bit over the top...can some of the other abilities in the sentinel tree be buffed to compensate for it at least.?
    edited May 2012
    You know folks, if you want to passively heal your entire team, Nanites is a thing. And it just got a buff. I do still want to know about the aggro bug though.
    edited May 2012
    I imagine stacking Sent Aura with Medical Nanites would be pretty cool.
    edited May 2012
    Gonna agree that 70% is a bit much, i hope that number is still subjective till we can further test it. I can understand the nerf being need but that is just...a bit over the top...can some of the other abilities in the sentinel tree be buffed to compensate for it at least.?

Making the presumably-intended interaction between Eternal Spring, Moment of Need and Rejuvenated actually work on both self and others would be a good start.

(HoT-bestowed on crit heal + higher heal crit chance + energy-over-time buff chance per tick of a heal-over-time)
    edited May 2012
    With roughly 300 Pre and Seraphim passive, I was getting about 900 HP per 3 seconds with Sentinal Aura before. Seraphim was only give me about 110 HP per 3 seconds.

Honestly, I expected this nerf. It feels harsh cuz 70% is a big number. But it was just too good.
    edited May 2012
    Might powers did have their damage reduced when aggressor came out and it had nothing to do with roots.

Might didn't have it's damage reduced. I remember cause when aggressor got added everyone knew it would be an OP set. What people remember is when the rooting was removed from several powers the damage scaler went down, but they pumped the damage back up anyways to appease those who were upset over losing that damage. So no, might didn't get a net nerf to settle for aggressor.
    edited May 2012
    Hum. what a marvellous patch.
    - Support auras who are always better for the hybrid role self part than for the support role self part.
    -And a nerf really important, 70%, to the sentinel aura. Then i will drop this specialization to take another one with +15% severity which will boost my heals. Since this support specialization won't have any interest anymore (Tics of 300-400 are really an incentive to take this specialization, seriously ?)

It is always planned to change my support role to the hybrid role when this patch goes live.
    edited May 2012
    Dr.Sage wrote:
    Making the presumably-intended interaction between Eternal Spring, Moment of Need and Rejuvenated actually work on both self and others would be a good start.

(HoT-bestowed on crit heal + higher heal crit chance + energy-over-time buff chance per tick of a heal-over-time)

That would indeed be a good start considering that way it's the "Player's" healing skills rather than the aura. Though the aura will still be there to add minor healing over time i think that would bring a lot to the spec outside of the bubble buff and sent aura.
    edited May 2012
    Sekimen wrote:
    70% nerf for Sentinel Aura? Wouldn't 50% max been enough?

No, not really. I wouldn't be surprised if it still outhealed Medical Nanites in many circumstances still. Anyone done a side-by-side?

Now maybe my healers can take something else in good conscience... eh, maybe not still.
    edited May 2012
    Gaelyn wrote:
    Hum. what a marvellous patch.
    - Support auras who are always better for the hybrid role self part than for the support role self part.
    -And a nerf really important, 70%, to the sentinel aura. Then i will drop this specialization to take another one with +15% severity which will boost my heals. Since this support specialization won't have any interest anymore (Tics of 300-400 are really an incentive to take this specialization, seriously ?)

It is always planned to change my support role to the hybrid role when this patch goes live.

For AoED and AoRP, having a reduced self effect in Support role just plays into the other ways stat-emphases shift in Support role. AoAC and AoPM being less self-useful in Support role also weakens the character as a supporter, though, so I think doing it to those two is kinda counterproductive.
    edited May 2012
    @Dr. Sage - I am as suprised as you that they listened to anyone's (esp my) "tantrums" and etc.. but I can be fair when fair is due.

They needed to look at their hold system since the game was released. The manipulator toggle is really just one version of them doing this but it has me excited enough to prompt a return to their game (even if just to test it). IF they finally accept that stealth, pets and controllers are as much a playstyle as healer, tank and DPS then I definately want to support them in their epiphany.

The fact that I'm willing to support them after buying 3 GW2 accounts for myself and 2 friends.. that IS saying alot. I really was prepared to leave this game entirely because of its lack of balance. I never once played the "my build should be the best build - don't nerf my powers because i'm awesome" card. All I ever wanted was for them to ballz up and do what needed to be done with a freeform system. Frankly I like having a balanced freeform system MUCH more than the weapon necessary archetype given in GW2 but I am/was willing to accept it because the gameplay was much more balanced.

I know that even with these buffs my toon will likely be one-shotted from 100ft. That's just life.. but at least I can't say they aren't doing anything to support the playstyle.

- -

Now to Sentinel Aura - I look at the other auras and none of them directly change your health or energy. Why should Sentinel Aura? Again.. people may not agree with Bezzy Balance, but it's something I hold dear to gaming (tabletop esp). If it's good for the goose it must also work the same for the gander.

You're asking for an infinite amount of healing that costs 0 energy. That to me will never make sense (outside of a passive).

Arbitor Aura doesn't give infinite dps with no cost just for being around the caster. Sentry aura doesn't give infinite shields just for being aroung the caster. They give the POTENTIAL for those mechanics to be buffed. Not the buff itself. Sentinel Aura should do the same.

Devs, every-time you release a power that's severely under or overpowered, just balance it. People will be mad in some way that you've taken something they liked, but you have to keep doing what's right for the world you spent so much time creating. Don't be afraid to close pandora's box.. because inside there's still hope.
    edited May 2012
    Dr.Sage wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Beacon of Hope doesn't buff shields applied. Now, if instead you meant a general buff to "things that benefit from +% healing", that's not quite as horrible.

Yeah, I don't think Hope Bacon affects self-shielding. (I did specify Sentinel/Support; Tank Bacon is off in a tank tree. Just wait till you see what I call this spec in a week or so.) But for its many problems, I have fond memories of CoX's Defenders; I don't like "support" being synonymous with "healer." So I'm all for %heal being shorthand for %support-health-related-things.
    nothing with Seraphim

Yeah, what's up with that? Illumination needs some love.
    AoPM's the passive I'm currently using (because nothing else buffs shields), and Sentinel Aura frees me up from having to spam a heal under the shield as much. Now, you want to make a team-affecting version of PFF? I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. But until then, AoPM's about the only game in town.

At some point, maybe when Invincible has gone live but before the Form and Aura changes do -- because Invincible is going live first by itself, right, devs? -- I'd like to have an open thread on AoAC. I have some thoughts... Related, but longer term, I'd like a Mist support passive in Air that improves ally hold resistance and avoidance, and ideally, debuffs those things for hostiles.

Edit : Ooh, or, buffs dodge/avoid/severity for allies, but then a "Gravity" Earth support passive that snares hostiles, debuffs their hold resist and avoidance (so they can still dodge but for less/a LOT less mitigation), and partially converts Knocks on enemies into bonus damage. Oh, this would be the most awesome passive ever please can we have this? Also, Earth powers should have their own 1-point PvE-only version of Nailed to the Ground.
    And I'd rather they get the Sentinel Aura nerf out of the way now. I even stated in my Spec tree guide that I was expecting it to get a nerf. I just wasn't expecting a 70% decrease.

I don't think it's the last change to Sentiheal Aura. It's very different from the functionality of the other Skills/Specializations. I don't know what the %heal curve is like, exactly, but I'm pretty sure I can still pull regen-like numbers out of it with Compassion and other abuse.

(Side note : I'm pretty sure the 70% number is largely because of the effect of Compassion, which... is exactly what I was complaining about in my 'role-mandatory toggles' thread.)

And it's still just flatly broken with Selfless Ally (Presence tree, and MOST MISNAMED SPEC EVER. It's more like "Incredibly Selfish Healer") and a few pets. Seriously. Run this with Live numbers and *try* to die.
    edited May 2012
    Please add bubbles to compassion and reduce the sentinel aura nerf to 50%.

The rest of sentinel could use a buff too, because the primary reason to even use it is the aura.
    edited May 2012
    Arafelis wrote:

I don't think it's the last change to Sent Aura. It's very different from the functionality of the other Skills/Specializations. I don't know what the %heal curve is like, exactly, but I'm pretty sure I can still pull regen-like numbers out of it with Compassion and other abuse.

Please call it Sentinel Aura - I'd hate to see a change/nerf in sentry aura for lack of communication
    edited May 2012
    Jaybezz wrote:
    Please call it Sentinel Aura - I'd hate to see a change/nerf in sentry aura for lack of communication

Updated.

.... :D
    edited May 2012
    Silverspar wrote:
    Might didn't have it's damage reduced. I remember cause when aggressor got added everyone knew it would be an OP set. What people remember is when the rooting was removed from several powers the damage scaler went down, but they pumped the damage back up anyways to appease those who were upset over losing that damage. So no, might didn't get a net nerf to settle for aggressor.

My parsing said otherwise. Several of the powers had their damage reduced (not all of them) in the 5-20% range depending on the power. This damage was never returned as those numbers are still the same.
    edited May 2012
    The new enrage healing factor is a bit TOO good IMO.
    Edit: Endorphin rush stacks up as you keep refreshing enrage stacks. Pretty sure it should only refresh Endorphin Rush rather then keep adding stacks of it, that or stack up to a certain point. Was able to get over 20 stacks and tank all 4 of Kiga's frost hounds without my health even dropping 10%.
    edited May 2012
    wrote:
    No, not really. I wouldn't be surprised if it still outhealed Medical Nanites in many circumstances still. Anyone done a side-by-side?

Now maybe my healers can take something else in good conscience... eh, maybe not still.
    While I haven't done hard numbers with the new patch, if you take a look at my previous post I said my Sentinal Aura (with 3 points spent in it, Seraphim bonus, and approx. 300 Pre, and some healing bonus on my gear) gave just under 900 HP per tick. Seraphim's aura gave approx 110 HP per tick. Assuming the 70% reduction, I will expect that Sentinal aura will give approx. 270 HP per tick. That's still more than double what Seraphim's doing.
    edited May 2012
    70% Nerf WTF?

Well not using that ever again. Guess I'll have to Retcon AGAIN.

Why? Well 70% off of 1200 leaves 360 a pulse

But my basic regen on a Secondary Presence character? I had around 436 every 3 seconds. Which means I now have 131 health every 3 seconds.

P
    O
    I
    N
    T
    L
    E
    S
    S

The heal reduces enough in Alerts as it is, now I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS?!

Fine, lower, it, but on the low end of the Percents, not the high end.
    20% reduction would be fair.

Honestly, this is exactly the same as the AoPM nerfs. You guys are nerfing with the Extreme in mind and forgetting about the people are not trying to abuse the system to the maximum. Those people are getting screwed over by these changes.
    edited May 2012
    kallethen wrote:
    While I haven't done hard numbers with the new patch, if you take a look at my previous post I said my Sentinal Aura (with 3 points spent in it, Seraphim bonus, and approx. 300 Pre, and some healing bonus on my gear) gave just under 900 HP per tick. Seraphim's aura gave approx 110 HP per tick. Assuming the 70% reduction, I will expect that Sentinal aura will give approx. 270 HP per tick. That's still more than double what Seraphim's doing.

Seraphim does a lot more than its heal ticks. Medical nanites only does heal ticks, and it's always been utter **** because the amount of heal has been negligible. Its new numbers are what I'm interested in.
    edited May 2012
    Jaybezz wrote:
    @Dr. Sage - I am as suprised as you that they listened to anyone's (esp my) "tantrums" and etc.. but I can be fair when fair is due.

They needed to look at their hold system since the game was released. The manipulator toggle is really just one version of them doing this but it has me excited enough to prompt a return to their game (even if just to test it). IF they finally accept that stealth, pets and controllers are as much a playstyle as healer, tank and DPS then I definately want to support them in their epiphany.

You're in luck here, Pets are already awesome on focused pet builds, and if the new AoPM goes live then Pets will be king of the mountain. :D
    edited May 2012
    Whoever made the animation for Fire All Weapons:
    Bravo Good Sir or Ma'am. Bravo.
    edited May 2012
    As for the ebon aura needing a buff, why not make it work in offensive stances as well, buff the self damage by a hefty amount, nerf the ally damage by a hefty amount while in those roles?
    edited May 2012
    Roadwulf wrote:
    70% Nerf WTF?

Well not using that ever again. Guess I'll have to Retcon AGAIN.

Let me guess - you took it on everyone, right?

Keep in mind that they're balancing this for the 10-man raids, which will no doubt be using the level 30 code we're using now. And also, in level 40 content, that much HP every 3 seconds was absurdly overpowered. Think about it.

And thankfully everyone will get a free retcon with this patch.
    edited May 2012
    Bug?
    Your Enraged! gives 103 Health Points to you.
    Five times over, by way of Fault Line. Haven't tested it, but I wonder if Roomsweeper super-stacking alongside the knock granting enraged stacks will do the same...10 times over.

edited May 2012
    We will? I know they'd be mad not to but I haven't seen a 'yes' anywhere for retcons.
    edited May 2012
    Kliffoth wrote:
    Bug?
    Five times over, by way of Fault Line. Haven't tested it, but I wonder if Roomsweeper super-stacking alongside the knock granting enraged stacks will do the same...10 times over.

So it turned out I was right and they don't have an internal CD on that blasted return? Good Job Cryptic.
    edited May 2012
    Ryko_Nailo wrote:
    We will? I know they'd be mad not to but I haven't seen a 'yes' anywhere for retcons.
    It's on literally the third line of the opening post of the first thread about these changes.
    edited May 2012
    Isn't this the second time we've had to point that out today?
    edited May 2012
    So it turned out I was right and they don't have an internal CD on that blasted return? Good Job Cryptic.

Let's freak out over work in progress why don't we? It will obviously have an internal cooldown before it goes live. Take a chill pill.
    edited May 2012
    Here's some Internet Valium, it's like real Valium, except it only exists in the minds of forum goers.
    edited May 2012
    Aha was looking in the wrong patch note section for it, thought it'd be in the offical patch thread.
    edited May 2012

Keep in mind that they're balancing this for the 10-man raids, which will no doubt be using the level 30 code we're using now. And also, in level 40 content, that much HP every 3 seconds was absurdly overpowered. Think about it.

People suggested that the aura have a diminishing return the more people affected by it when it first came out.
    edited May 2012
    Now see I can kinda live with that. At least some percentage of somebody with the same aura would be taken into account.
    Edit : Also Cryptic small note: 70% reduction on sentinel aura? That's pretty extreme. Like alot of other peeps have voiced a reduction between 30-50% would be far more fair.
    I do love the fact that you guys finally gave Medical Nanites some love. Now Aura of Ebon Destruction needs an extra oomph as well to make it more seductive of a selection. Might I suggest it also debuffs enemy resistance be a percentage depending on if you're running hybrid or support roles?

I recommended a percentage to absorb a percentage of an incoming attack with a chance to splash but this is nice. I like this ^
    edited May 2012

Actually I used it on a grand total of 2 characters.

One of which who was using it in conjunction with Med Nan to heal the team alot while still being able to do damage in Hybrid.

And exactly how as 400 health ever 3 second OP in Level 40 content? 1200, yeah sure. BUT AGAIN, not everyone builds to the god damn maximum.

Stop screwing over everyone else.

If its gonna get nerfed so hard, then it should be changed to tick every 1.5 instead. Otherwise, still pointless unless you have like 400 Presence.
    edited May 2012
    Kliffoth wrote:
    Bug?

Addendum: RS is accounting for extra stacks. This is even more hilarious with Endorphin Rush.
    edited May 2012
    Roadwulf wrote:
    Actually I used it on a grand total of 2 characters.

One of which who was using it in conjunction with Med Nan to heal the team alot while still being able to do damage in Hybrid.

And exactly how as 400 health ever 3 second OP in Level 40 content? 1200, yeah sure. BUT AGAIN, not everyone builds to the god damn maximum.

Stop screwing over everyone else.

Sentry Aura provides max 6% resist for 3 point investment. It only provides 1/10 of AoRP (or even less).

The other 2 spec auras provide max 5% damage for 3 point investment. Both of them don't provide overall damage strength and have less than a half of Sentry Aura's influence.

From how they design above 3 auras, the sentinel aura should just provide about 40 healing per 3 seconds.

70% sounds a lot, but it's based on a terriblely overvalued base. I personally don't even think this nerf is enough.
    edited May 2012
    Player Powers:
    Enrage:
    Enrage is now a toggled form. Toggling on Enrage allows you to build more than 1 stack of Enraged! at a time. This power counts as a Form.
    Enrage now grants a stack when you attempt to knock a foe.
    You now gain 1.25% of your max health back when you gain a stack of Enraged!
    This power now affects Melee damage for its full amount, and ranged damage for half that amount.
    Effectiveness reduced by 30%
    Advantage: Endorphin Rush: This advantage has returned, and now triggers whenever you gain a stack of Enraged!.

So does this mean that Enrage stacking happens only on knock attempts? What of moves like Cleave and such in the HW tree. Will it still give its same mechanic or will it be reworked because of this? Can anybody clarify?
    edited May 2012
    Endorphine Rush is way too powerful as is. I can turn it into a healing shield by just spamming uppercut. Got up to 18 stacks.
    edited May 2012
    lol, both enrage % heal and endorphin rush need a 3 sec cooldown on proc, otherwise it's just complete immortality for anyone who uses it xD
    edited May 2012
    Kien. wrote:
    lol, both enrage % heal and endorphin rush need a 3 sec cooldown on proc, otherwise it's just complete immortality for anyone who uses it xD

This is sick.

I'd rather them to create another heal power for brick framework and build endorphin rush in that heal power.