test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upcoming player power changes.

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited June 2012 in PTS - The Archive
Champions! We have some big changes coming with some powers you know and love, as well as some new powers to round out some builds and add missing elements that players have been asking for!
If we go through with these changes all affected players will receive a Retcon.

Since On Alert! went live we have been looking at the state of powers and want to offer a sneak peak at some of the changes that will be making their way to the PTS soon!
First up, we are making some adjustments to Forms, as well as adding 3 brand new forms to choose from!

Below are the patch notes relating to Forms.

Enrage:
  • Enrage is now a toggled form. Toggling on Enrage allows you to build more than 1 stack of Enraged! at a time. This power counts as a Form.
  • This power now affects Melee damage for its full amount, and ranged damage for half that amount.
  • Effectiveness reduced by 30%
  • Advantage: Endorphin Rush: This advantage has been removed because it no longer fits the intended function of the power.

Focus:
  • Now scales only on Dexterity, instead of Half of Strength and Dexterity
  • This power now affects Melee damage for its full amount, and ranged damage for half that amount.
  • Effectiveness reduced by 30%

*New Power* Concentration: Toggle - Form
  • Concentration grants you bonus ranged damage and a lesser amount of bonus melee damage. This bonus scales with your Ego or Intelligence, whichever is higher.
  • Concentration grants you bonus energy when you gain a stack of it. This bonus energy scales with your Ego or Intelligence, whichever is higher.
  • You gain a stack of Concentration whenever you fully charge or maintain a power.
  • This buff lasts 20 seconds.
  • This power can be found in the "Technology" Tree (along with Power Armor, Gadgeteering, Archery, and Munitions).

*New Power* Compassion: Toggle - Form
  • Compassion grants you bonus healing and a lesser amount of bonus damage. This bonus scales with your Presence or Recovery, whichever is higher.
  • Compassion grants you bonus energy when you gain a stack of it. This bonus energy scales with your Presence or Recovery, whichever is higher.
  • You gain a stack of Compassion whenever you heal an ally.
  • This buff lasts 20 seconds.
  • This power can be found in the "Mystic" Tree (with Sorcery and Supernatural).

*New Power* Manipulator: Toggle - Form
  • Manipulator grants you bonus Hold Magnitude and a lesser amount of bonus damage. This bonus scales with your Presence or Recovery, whichever is higher.
    • *NOTE* This will allow you to hold Super Villains and Legendaries (for very short amounts of time).
  • Manipulator grants you bonus energy when you gain a stack of it. This bonus energy scales with your Presence or Recovery, whichever is higher.
  • You gain a stack of Manipulator whenever you fully charge or maintain a Control power.
  • This buff lasts 60 seconds.
  • This power can be found in the "Mind" Tree (with Telepathy and Telekinetics).

These are some huge changes, and we would like to give more players more options for toggleable stacking buffs.

In relation to this, we have taken a look at the Aura passives in the Mystic Tree and a few changes will be made to these powers.
We would like Auras to better fill their role as support powers which greatly strengthen the team of the player who is using them. Below are the notes relating to Auras.

Aura of Primal Majesty:
  • The self portion of this passive has been reduced by 30% while in Hybrid.
  • The ally portion of this passive has been reduced by 30% while in Hybrid.
  • The self portion of this passive has been reduced by 40% while in Support.
  • The ally portion of this passive has been increased by 60% while in Support.
  • This passive is now functions differently depending on your selected role (either Hybrid or Support).

Aura of Arcane Clarity:
  • The self portion of this passive has been increased by 30% while in Hybrid.
  • The ally portion of this passive has been increased by 15% while in Hybrid.
  • The self portion of this passive has been increased by 10% while in Support.
  • The ally portion of this passive has been increased by 200% while in Support.
  • This passive is now functions differently depending on your selected role (either Hybrid or Support).

Aura of Radiant Protection:
  • The self portion of this passive has been increased by 25% while in Hybrid.
  • The ally portion of this passive has been reduced by 15% while in Hybrid.
  • The self portion of this passive has been reduced by 20% while in Support.
  • The ally portion of this passive has been increased by 50% while in Support.

Aura of Ebon Destruction:
  • The self portion of this passive has been increased by 15% when in Hybrid.
  • The ally portion of this passive has been reduced 20% when in Hybrid.
  • The self portion of this passive has been reduced 5% when in Support.
  • The ally portion of this passive has been increased by 200% when in Support.

These are some really big changes, and player feedback is important at the different stages of adjusting and balancing these powers, and your feedback is greatly appreciated! Keep your eyes on the PTS for your chance to test these new changes in the next few days!
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    This is the big question.

Now that might can no longer have Enrage and Aggressor both at once active, are you going to reverse the net-nerf of all of might's powers that occured in melee pass years ago, necessitating the purchase of aggressor to "buy back" the damage of those powers?
    edited May 2012
    Very interesting news.
    edited May 2012
    Wait.. so enrage would then be the only 'form' power that doesn't itself include a way of building its own stacks? This is inconsistent with all other 'form' powers, and now penalizes sets like heavy weapon and might which had ways of building multiple stacks of enrage w/o having to take the enrage power itself.

Would I be correct in assuming that the 'compassion' form won't build stacks for healing yourself? Would pets be counted as allies? Would you build stacks if you heal an ally, even if they're at full health?

I'm really surprised you guys haven't learned how undesirable form powers are that require a full maintain. Drop them to only require like a 33% or 50% maintain instead.
    edited May 2012
    This... is... so...huge...
    I know now might not be the right time to ask, but I seriously hope you plan of offering a new round of free retcons, cause holy cow, the number of builds you just put in the ground...
    edited May 2012
    Since with Enrage, we're losing Endorphin Rush (yes, I used it, it helped having 300 ticks in addition to other stuff) and Giant Growth, can we use this opportunity to give Brick and Activated Offense power and incorporate these two advantages in it?
    edited May 2012
    Um, wow. This is going to necessitate a LOT of build replanning.

::EDIT::

And now that I have time to think of it, it's not going to affect PvP the way we'd like it to. Ranged will still dominate because the tools melee relies on to close in (CC and so forth) are STILL useless because of gear/spec trees. Any chance those will be looked at as well (Protector's snare invulnerability, for example).
    edited May 2012
    I know now might not be the right time to ask, but I seriously hope you plan of offering a new round of free retcons, cause holy cow, the number of builds you just put in the ground...

They said they would in the initial post...
    edited May 2012
    whelp, this is interesting to say the least
    edited May 2012
    Sekimen wrote:
    Since with Enrage, we're losing Endorphin Rush (yes, I used it, it helped having 300 ticks in addition to other stuff) and Giant Growth, can we use this opportunity to give Brick and Activated Offense power and incorporate these two advantages in it?

^ That would be awesome. Hulk out!
    edited May 2012
    Sekimen wrote:

I second this - make it function like intensity, but w/ STR + CON instead, and have the endorphin rush as an advantage, (perhaps upping the heal a bit as it'd now have a 90 sec cooldown).
    edited May 2012
    Sekimen wrote:

100% Agree with this. Turn Aggressor into the active offense.
    edited May 2012
    biostem wrote:
    They said they would in the initial post...
    Must have missed it under the shock...
    Sowwy.
    edited May 2012
    Don't you dare touch my ****ing Auras (aside from Primal, I give no craps about that one, change it as you like).

Hands. Off.
    edited May 2012
    I can't help but feel like none of the auras aside from Primal Majesty needed a nerf to the player using them. It seems like that is being done to them to cover the dirtiness that has been AoPM since FtP launch.

Does anyone use AoAC? Is anyone going to take it now? Doubtful.
    edited May 2012
    Why the heck would I want my aura of primal to buff others that much I take aura of primal so my toon can solo stuff...heck I PAID so I can have AOPM on my toons whatever way I want..thats how pay to win works that how FTP works...do I care that I can steamroll over silvers at pvp..not really not my problem if they want to be on a level playing field then pay up or shut up...nerfing things because people are screaming HE BEAT ME AT PVP is stupid in a game that more or less has no pvp.

wow just wow.
    edited May 2012
    Ok...LOVE the Enrage change...HATE the focus change...well, Actually, I will find it fair if you tack that 30% onto all offensive passives.
    edited May 2012
    Nepht wrote:
    Why the heck would I want my aura of primal to buff others that much I take aura of primal so my toon can solo stuff...heck I PAID so I can have AOPM on my toons whatever way I want..thats how pay to win works that how FTP works...do I care that I can steamroll over silvers at pvp..not really not my problem if they want to be on a level playing field then pay up or shut up...nerfing things because people are screaming HE BEAT ME AT PVP is stupid in a game that more or less has no pvp.

wow just wow.

Um...why are you blaming PvP? Maybe they don't want you to be able to solo everything so easily? Maybe THEY WANT SOME GAME BALANCE?
    edited May 2012
    Sekimen wrote:

Yes, yes yes yes! Since Enrage being a toggle will pretty much make aggressor useless, it neeeeeds to be changed into an active offense so it doesn't get fully shafted by this patch.
    edited May 2012
    Aopm got gutted spaded hammer and nuked into a fine paste of u mad bro? ^^" Glad i only had 1 enrage toon and 2 aompm toons out of all my 40's @+@.
    edited May 2012
    Making passives only usable in one stance? Not just changing the function or benefit, but limiting them flat out?

You must be able to do some crazy party tricks with that gaping hole in your head.
    edited May 2012
    Looks like ol' Duratok is going to be taking one hell of a hit.

Also, what happened to my forum avatar?
    edited May 2012
    Brou wrote:

Now that might can no longer have Enrage and Aggressor both at once active, are you going to reverse the net-nerf of all of might's powers that occured in melee pass years ago, necessitating the purchase of aggressor to "buy back" the damage of those powers?

This! Not only for might, but just remove all toggles\aspects now please, and buff base damages of melle powers
    Also enrage... don't you think it's kinda underpowered now, since it doesn't give energy when you stack it AND is huch harder to stack, making it useless compared to focus\concentration damage-wise?
    And why we even NEED that concentration buff? Ranged was overpowered before, and now you make it even better by giving them it's own toggle that scales with stats that don't punish rangeds for overstacking them, unlike STR did for enrage... And it also gives energy on stack now... /faceclaw
    Everyone asks to nerfs rangeds, cryptic buffs them instead lol.
    Oh, and i see you've done nothing to fix horrible melle role, that makes catching someone virtually impossible with that horrible -20% cc debuff,
    edited May 2012
    The aura changes kinda annoy me because *you*, as the aura provider, need a way to keep yourself alive, too. If the benefit it grants you is dropped, then *you* are more vulnerable, and that decision to take a passive that also helps your team seems like a poor investment.

Suggestion: Lower the base benefit the aura gives to yourself, but have it apply stacks of the same buff to yourself for each teammate or ally in range that it affects.
    edited May 2012
    Ranged damage form, though.......

why charges? archery, guns, PA, most magic, are either clicks or maintains, right? any way to have it on, either half charge and half maintain or.....something
    edited May 2012
    Aggressor damage needs to be fully or partially integrated into brick powers then just removed from the game. Of the most uncalled for toggles ever created, I'd vote for aggressor as a strong contender.
    edited May 2012
    Um...why are you blaming PvP? Maybe they don't want you to be able to solo everything so easily? Maybe THEY WANT SOME GAME BALANCE?

Game balance whut u kidding right if everyone is in the same sodding side whut does it matter >_> Whut should I be on a level playing field as say a behemoth or an Unleashed.

No my toon should be far more powerfull...fairs fair you pay a little extra you get a slightly better service...
    edited May 2012
    P0t3mk1n wrote:
    Um, wow. This is going to necessitate a LOT of build replanning.

::EDIT::

And now that I have time to think of it, it's not going to affect PvP the way we'd like it to. Ranged will still dominate because the tools melee relies on to close in (CC and so forth) are STILL useless because of gear/spec trees. Any chance those will be looked at as well (Protector's snare invulnerability, for example).

Then again, it effects PvP to a degree, its a step in the right direction, AoPM enrage got a bigtime hammer.
    edited May 2012
    im with brou on this, enraged + forms / specs were always the same damage as forms.
    Tho what im waiting to test is Old enraged vs new ranged forms . If new ranged form is ~30% less, then i gues its kinds balanced.
    edited May 2012
    Hey party people. Obviously these are some pretty crazy changes and we may have overdone it in a few spots, but we wanted to get these ideas out to you guys ASAP so we have the most time possible to iterate on them. So keep that constructive feedback coming!

Trolling/insulting feedback will be ignored entirely. :)
    edited May 2012
    Nepht wrote:
    Game balance whut u kidding right if everyone is in the same sodding side whut does it matter >_> Whut should I be on a level playing field as say a behemoth or an Unleashed.

No my toon should be far more powerfull...fairs fair you pay a little extra you get a slightly better service...

Your toon is far more powerful? Then you don't need AoPM to do that. -cough cough- Offensive Passive -cough cough-
    edited May 2012
    Holy cow, the changes to support passives is downright ghastly. So really the only use for hybrid will be for tanks to solo with. blargh.

So much for a viable support class. Suffer the damage reduction for being in support. Or live without a passive. Yea!
    edited May 2012
    Well, then I do offer serious criticism. Do not constrict those passives to support only. Instead, that huge boost you just gave them, have them be available if we take support role.
    edited May 2012
    Ok, got some things I just gotta point out here:

The nerfing to Aura of arcane clarity and Aura of Ebon Destruction's self-buff; These powers were never really worthwile passives to begin with, as they offer little in the ways of defense overall. Especially Aura of Ebon Destruction will become lackluster, since it will now be limited to a supportive passive with a very meager self-buff to damage. If you look at viable options, such as Seraphim, Medical nanites and Aura of Radiant Protection, these offer either a high buff to damage, a self-heal or extra defense to simply survive fighting off enemies. While this might not be a problem while teaming, bear in mind that most people do missions on their own (Freeforms more so than others and as of yet, Ebon aura is a freeform only passive).
    Most of this applies to Aura of Arcane Clarity as well.

Another thing is about Aggressor. With enrage always having been the primary source of damage buffing for Might and Heavy weapons, what'll you do with this form to make it just as viable a choice for these powersets as enrage? Also, how will this affect AT's such as The Behemoth and The Devastator?

Martial arts forms stacks to 8, other forms to 5. Will there be some sort of balancing here, or will different forms simply yield a different amount of stacks?

As mentioned before, charging or maintaing powers completely isn't always the best course of action, especially when teaming. Could Concentration and similar powers have their requirement reduced to 50% like Form of the Tiger?

And that was all for this time. I will return with more.
    edited May 2012
    Just like all that constructive feedback for the melee pass, I'm sure.

See you after this mess sorts itself out, hopefully it's measured in months and not "never".
    edited May 2012
    NisDiddums wrote:
    This passive is now a support only passive.

Does this mean these powers can no longer be used in hybrid? I only play in hybrid role, I don't use the other roles for various reasons and it's been that way since the game launched. I'd like to know if I'm effectively locked out of 4 powers now, despite paying for full freefrom, unless I lock myself to one role the way free silver players are locked into.
    edited May 2012
    I guess i need to really leave my characters alone for a half a year atleast....
    edited May 2012
    Does this mean these powers can no longer be used in hybrid? I only play in hybrid role, I don't use the other roles for various reasons and it's been that way since the game launched. I'd like to know if I'm effectively locked out of 4 powers now, despite paying for full freefrom, unless I lock myself to one role like free silver players are locked into.

Like I said, the big bonus to teammates should come from CHOOSING the support role. We should not have to be forced into a role to use the power.
    edited May 2012
    Hey party people. Obviously these are some pretty crazy changes and we may have overdone it in a few spots, but we wanted to get these ideas out to you guys ASAP so we have the most time possible to iterate on them. So keep that constructive feedback coming!

Trolling/insulting feedback will be ignored entirely. :)

Nerfing AoPM by 40% and the 40% buff on the team members would make a lot more sense.
    edited May 2012
    Your toon is far more powerful? Then you don't need AoPM to do that. -cough cough- Offensive Passive -cough cough-

Good thinking I think ill do that :D
    edited May 2012
    I can't help but feel like none of the auras aside from Primal Majesty needed a nerf to the player using them. It seems like that is being done to them to cover the dirtiness that has been AoPM since FtP launch.

Does anyone use AoAC? Is anyone going to take it now? Doubtful.
    Anxiety wrote:
    Making passives only usable in one stance? Not just changing the function or benefit, but limiting them flat out?

The combination of these two changes is more then a little bit crazy, IMO. I suppose I can see why AoPM got a bit of a hit (though I think the net overall hit is a bit too much), but exactly what part of AoAC and AoED were overperforming at the values they were capable of putting out? And why was the self-defense portion of AoRP (which was already somewhat low to begin with) hit as hard as it was?

I suppose I can guess that some of this had to do with Mastery auras, but unless stacking of those is being looked at as well, I don't think it's necessarily including a fair amount of actual, real choice if just to get the same personal-defensive bonus on myself I'm forced to pick up an Aura from masteries as well. Especially since now, I'm already putting out a larger defensive bonus to my team (compounding the problem there).

It's a hit to solo-play with a buff to team-play. Were any of them doing all that bad in a team situation to necessitate this?

Not sure how I feel about the Enrage change, though I echo Brou's statement: What about Might and Aggressor?

EDIT:
    Like I said, the big bonus to teammates should come from CHOOSING the support role. We should not have to be forced into a role to use the power.

That, I could deal with, if they want to go that route. Just don't kneecap my ability to solo with characters where I make the decision to pick up these auras. It's already somewhat of a chore for me to work with them as it is, and this would most certainly not help that situation any at all.
    edited May 2012

As the dev said...

"If we go through with these changes all affected players will receive a Retcon."

I don't know about you guys, but I kind of like the way this all looks.
    edited May 2012
    I'll echo what others are saying, requiring a full maintain of a power is unreasonable.

My munitions toon cannot fully maintain two gun mojo on a henchman without it dying, and it's only at rank 1 (with crippling challenge). That's to say nothing of much higher damage maintains.

Speaking of Two Gun Mojo. What about it granting a stack of Enrage, and the advantage on Bullet Beatdown and Lead Tempest which synergize with that single stack of Enraged.

Are you guys looking at these things and making adjustments? Keep in mind that currently you can have one stack of Enraged without it conflicting with other forms (my munitions character, for example, uses Form of the Tempest and is essentially a Bullet Beatdown centric build, I rely on FotT for damage, but the stack of Enraged for defense and aoe with its synergies with Bullet Beatdown and Lead Tempest).
    edited May 2012
    Brou wrote:

I'd like to know this too.
    edited May 2012
    Alright, here's my less-rage-filled-feedback.

Auras:
    1. Don't limit them to support stance, it murders their versatility.
    2. AoRP is the sweet spot you *want* the other Auras to match. Useful, but not overwhelming.
    3. AoPM could stand a reduction, but not 60%.
    4. AoED and AoAC were already somewhere between poor and absolutely horrible. They needed up, not down.
    edited May 2012
    As a question, does this mean the old forms, like Aspects and Aggressor, will be removed then?
    edited May 2012
    Alright, here's my less-rage-filled-feedback.

Auras:
    1. Don't limit them to support stance, it murders their versatility.
    2. AoRP is the sweet spot you *want* the other Auras to match. Useful, but not overwhelming.
    3. AoPM could stand a reduction, but not 60%.
    4. AoED and AoAC were already somewhere between poor and absolutely horrible. They needed up, not down.

I'm in full agreement with this statement. AoRP is just usable enough without breaking things too hard (in my opinion). Get the rest to that level (push AoPM down, and AoED/AoAC up) and then see what else needs to be done once we get there.

AoAC could probably use a full, complete review and re-design, but that's an entirely different conversation I assume.
    edited May 2012
    Silverspar wrote:
    As a question, does this mean the old forms, like Aspects and Aggressor, will be removed then?

That is kind of a good question. This change definitely looks to be kicking the other forms in the nads.
    edited May 2012
    I can only assume all other toggles will be removed?
    edited May 2012
    With this change, it looks like there would be a form easily usable with just about any build under the sun.

Do your plans include amending the archetypes to add these new forms in?

If not, it seems like it would make the already massive gap between most of the ATs and proper builds even larger.
    edited May 2012
    heh, what about a pet form? :P