test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gods and Demigods

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
I know there are the Kings of Edom and Nama, but what other dieties are there besides them and what are their roles in the Champions Universe

Kings of Edom - Just straight up destruction from what I can tell, each one has a role specifically, but I forgot their names and roles.

Nama - The Patron God of VIPER and a bit of a trickster that is neither good nor evil

Dragon - Evil from all of man formed into one entity, but can never fully manifest, but has many avatars with a tiny fraction of it's true power I.E. Death Dragon that is worshipped by the cult of the Red Banner, but also has many different avatars and is worshipped by many groups.

What else is there and what are their roles? If anyone can help it would be appreciated, even if they are dieties from different planets or dimensions, i would like to know more please, this game has me hooked!

(Also a gigantic thanks to the creators of the PNP game as well as Cryptic for giving me so much enojoyment this past year and a half and making me even go LTS a long time ago :) )
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    If I'm not mistaken, all of the Gods of the older religions (Greek, Mayan, Egyptian etc), exist in the Faerie realm, also known as the Land of Legends, one of the four mystic dimensions of existence. Additionally, Elysium, one of the four realms, is more-or-less Heaven, while the Netherworld, another, serves as "Hell" (home to demons, devils, eternal torment etc.)

Also, among the Kings of Edom are the following: Vulshoth, Deizzhorath, Mgatrroar and Esleggua. There are several other "lesser" kings, but the names escape me at the moment.
    edited December 2011
    MGoblin, sean_raiko, you are essentially correct. :) Just to follow up on your points:

The Kings of Edom are comparable to the "Old Ones" of H.P. Lovecraft's horror fiction -- immensely ancient and powerful entities who are totally alien in every way compared to life forms in our reality. They apparently desire to enslave or devour all other life, and even rewrite the nature of our reality to suit themselves, but their motivations are otherwise unfathomable. They were defeated and imprisoned by other, mysterious great powers before life even arose on planet Earth.

There are other similar entities in the alien Qliphothic universes from whence the Kings and their Edomite followers originated, such as Shadow Destroyer's patrons or the gods of the Elder Worm, who may or may not be related to the Kings of Edom. None of these entities are "evil" as we define it, they're just higher up on the food chain. ;)

OTOH the Dragon IS Evil in the purest sense. The Dragon exists in the collective subconsciousness of all mankind -- in fact it's imprisoned there, although when and how that happened is unknown today (or if anyone knows they're not talking). It prompts humans toward committing the vilest, most unspeakable acts of evil. It and its followers also scheme to free it to work its malice in the physical world, either in its entirety or as an avatar with a fraction of its near-limitless power.The Dragon or its avatars have been known under the names of many terrible draconian or ophidian monsters in the legends of cultures around the world, and some cults still worship them. Tiamat, Apep, Vritra, Typhon, Ahriman, Jormungandr, Satan... it's all of them and more.

You can find more details about Nama by following the "VIPER's Tribal God" thread elsewhere on this forum. ;)

The Astral dimensions of Faerie, the Netherworld, Elysium, and their inhabitants were created and sustained out of the collective imagination and belief of the human race. For this reason they're referred to as the "Imaginal Realms." Faerie is the abode of all the gods, races, and creatures of myth and folklore than mankind still remembers. The Netherworld is a mosaic of all the Hells humanity has conceived of, with their resident demons or dark gods. Elysium manifests as the Heavens of the "ethical" religions (which emphasize codes of conduct rather than propitiating the whims of fallible gods), such as the Abrahamic religions and Buddhism.

It should be noted that the gods, angels, etc. of Elysium are not the "true" entities of their faiths. They're products of the belief of their worshippers, appearing as most of their followers imagine them, e.g. Yahweh/ Jehovah/ Allah as a stern, bearded patriarch.

There are many other entities in the Champions Universe who could be considered gods or godlike. Many dimensions exist beyond Earth and its Imaginal Realms, some ruled by magical "dimension lords" of great power who may be worshipped by their subjects. Tyrannon the Conqueror and Skarn the Shaper are two examples well-detailed in the lore.

There are entities who embody fundamental concepts of existence, such as Order, Chaos, Death, Time, and Nature. These range up to the ultimate Creator of all things, and its opposite the Solipsist, which wants to unmake all that exists that's not itself. They rarely interact directly with humans or the like, but may act through proxies.

The CU also includes "space gods," beings of vast cosmic rather than magic power, inhabiting our own universe -- analogues to Galactus, Darkseid, or the Elders of the Universe from comics. The various Galaxars with their unique obsessions, the Progenitors who influenced the evolution of many sapient races, and the awesome planetary tyrant Xarriel, all fall into this category.

Should you wish to know more about the mystic cosmology of the Champions Universe and its many inhabitants, the PnP book The Mystic World would be your most thorough guide. As for "space gods," they're dealt with in Champions Beyond which describes outer space in the CU (although the cosmic entities are only a small fraction of what that book covers).
    edited December 2011
    Nobody could ever describe it in more detail than Lord_Liaden of course, but I'd like to add that besides the Faerie Realm, Elysium and the Netherworld there's also Babylon, the City of Men.

Basically it's a vast city and it's own plane of existence at the same time. Every city of humanity and every 'modern' entity humanity believes in would exist there too. Examples would be Bloody Mary, Jack the Ripper or even (to suit your question) 'modern' gods and godlike entities like Slender Man or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
    edited December 2011
    Absolutely right, KK, thank you. :) I avoided bringing up Babylon because "gods" aren't really a major emphasis of that dimension; but since you mentioned it, I should add that the mysterious Emperor of Babylon, ruler of the city/dimension, is also a being of great power, although he rarely concerns himself with matters beyond Babylon. A few other gods have residences in the City of Man, including Marduk, appropriately enough.
    edited December 2011
    There's also the Ein Sof, the wellspring of all forms of creation, which is limitless and indefinable but which sometimes manifests something like intentionality. This is properly the counterpart to both the Solipsist, as mentioned be Liadain, which may be connected to the Qliphothic deities, and to the Dragon. It may be the idea of the Ein Sof which monotheistic and henotheistic creator gods such as Brahman and YHWH, which reside in the Parterres, try to emulate. But those entities are *not* themselves the Ein Sof, at least as described in the cosmology of Champions, even if they are intended to be representations of it.
    edited December 2011
    As a lot of the mystic cosmology of the Champions Universe is inspired by the Kabbalah, the Ein Sof, Adam Kadmon, etc. are all names by which the Creator I mentioned above is known. I just chose a designation that would be readily understandable by folks who don't happen to be mystically versed. ;)
    edited December 2011
    If you want to see a mythological god written up in full for Champions, check out Tezcatlipoca on page 226 of Champions Villians, Vol. 1.
    edited January 2012
    HeroSteve wrote:
    If you want to see a mythological god written up in full for Champions, check out Tezcatlipoca on page 226 of Champions Villians, Vol. 1.

Quite a few mythological gods, demons from various traditions, and the like are active on Champions Earth. There's no shortage of superheroes and villains on Earth who are such entities, or were empowered by them, and who are mentioned or even fully written up in various Hero Games source books.