test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Argg!!!!!!! Why does blazing speed use ninja run still?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited November 2011 in Champions Online Discussion
Why? not once have we ever asked for another ninja run animation travel power.

While its nice you finally gave us a new SS its not what we have asked for literally since beta.

Its the durn run animation. That silly arms back like a kid being a jet plane we hate. The ninja run thing is what most of us dislike and wanted an alternative to.

I mean this can't come as a suprise to you guys, every ask cryptic have questions asking when we would get a new run animation for SS/acro. Reusing the same run animation with a new trail FX doesn't count.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2011
    It uses the crappy Naruto-wannabe ninjarun? Well, that just killed any anticipation I had for the new power.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Yep, same here. Not gonna buy another running animation that looks so childish and out of place.

It's super annoying that acrobatics uses it too.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Because only ninjas can run.

And because only ninjas can burn things when they walk.

And because... well....

Ninjas killed every other pose. They're evil, sneaky *******s like that.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I'm with you guys. I haven't used superspeed since the first time I tried it during the Open Beta.

I was looking forward to this one.

They do have a new animation in the works though, but how it gets implemented (as a choice for any superspeed travel power, or its own thing) is still unknown. I thought this was gonna be it. :\
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I really want superspeed animations similar to speedsters in smallville, pumping arms and legs.

Actually, hell just a superspeed animation that isnt a ninja run :/
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I don't actually mind it at all, to be honest. It's silly. It fits the rest of the game by being silly. This is a truth: Champions Online is an entirely silly game, I like that.

I'd love to see alternatives, sure, but I don't want to see that run animation go quietly into the night. And I have a friend that absolutely adores that animation, and he's not a kid or an anime fan, he's a robotics engineer. He's just amused by the cheesy hyperactivity of it. Not everything has to be completely serious.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    While I agree the run animation can be better, the animation on newer travel powers suggest it could also be WORSE. So until they can bring up an option where you can choose wether to keep ninja run or the new one - I'd rather stick with the devil I know.

Besides, it's not THAT terrible. I sort of grows on you.

Like fungus.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I don't actually mind it at all, to be honest. It's silly. It fits the rest of the game by being silly. This is a truth: Champions Online is an entirely silly game, I like that.

I'd love to see alternatives, sure, but I don't want to see that run animation go quietly into the night. And I have a friend that absolutely adores that animation, and he's not a kid or an anime fan, he's a robotics engineer. He's just amused by the cheesy hyperactivity of it. Not everything has to be completely serious.

It's not about being serious or not, it's about the theme of it. That kind of running pose started (at least I think it did) with anime. This game is based on western comic books. Nobody in western comic books run with their arms out to their sides while daintily super-tiptoeing along.

Imagine if you were playing a Naruto game and all the little ninjas ran like real-world marathon runners. Don't you think that would feel out of place?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    DejahYeah wrote:
    While I agree the run animation can be better, the animation on newer travel powers suggest it could also be WORSE. So until they can bring up an option where you can choose wether to keep ninja run or the new one - I'd rather stick with the devil I know....

Bah NO NO NO.

There are a bunch of us who have hated the current/wanted a new animation since beta.

Waiting for new tech they don't have and possibly might never have for a new run animation is just too long and to much of a gamble.

This sentiment thats crept up as of late that people might prefer the old stuff likes keep it no mater how hated it is is rather backwards in logic. You can't please everyone I suppose.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

But when, as you say, everything in general is silly - some seriousness can be most welcome.

Some would like to play more of a hero, not always a parody of one. You know, just to break the routine.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Inertial wrote:
    Bah NO NO NO.

There are a bunch of us who have hated the current/wanted a new animation since beta.

Waiting for new tech they don't have and possibly might never have for a new run animation is just too long and to much of a gamble.

This sentiment thats crept up as of late that people might prefer the old stuff likes keep it no mater how hated it is is rather backwards in logic. You can't please everyone I suppose.

Meh. We'll just have to be in disagreement on this one I suppose.
    Could you imagine if our flight pose was replaced completely by the pose in heroic flight? Everyone in town flying about like stretched out bubble gum or squashed pancake?

*shudders*
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    It doesn't have to replace it though.

Since they are adding new TPs just have the animation be attached to one of them.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Still what ive seen it does look very nice indeed.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Splosions wrote:
    We certainly heard this message with Heroic Flight, with a lot of people loving the new stance, some not liking it, and some upset that they couldn't use it on the other flight powers. I think we'd like to do dynamic animation switching, if we had the tech to allow it. But I wouldn't want to speculate publicly on when we might be able to make something like that happen.

^^^^That^^^^
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Inertial wrote:
    It doesn't have to replace it though.

Since they are adding new TPs just have the animation be attached to one of them.

Fair alternative. Pretty much what was done with heroic flight.
    But gosh wouldn't it suck if the effect was glorious and the animation was a Flintstones run?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I don't know. The traditional "Flash/Quicksilver/Superman" superspeed pose(s) are every bit as silly as the "Naruto" pose. Just a matter of preference.

So, the only solution is: options, options, options.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Why would you guys expect this to have the new running animation when it's still on the UNTIL Field Report, and not finished yet?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Why would you guys expect this to have the new running animation when it's still on the UNTIL Field Report, and not finished yet?

Because hope.

Deep down most of us are Blue Lanterns.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Because clearly the animation team are not finished with the alternative animation.
    Splosions has answered on the Blazing Speed? thread as to their hopeful intentions with animations going forward.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Hi Guys,
    I was actually going to buy this travel device few hrs back, while I was online! But hearing so many negative feed backs I guess i better put on hold first!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    AngelSim wrote:
    Hi Guys,
    I was actually going to buy this travel device few hrs back, while I was online! But hearing so many negative feed backs I guess i better put on hold first!

The only real concern is if you don't like the default super speed animation. If you have no problem with it, no reason not to buy it.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Because hope.

Deep down most of us are Blue Lanterns.

I'm a red lantern: vomits blood!
  • Options
    edited November 2011

This is pretty much the question that crossed by mind when I saw this thread. It's not like they haven't been telling us they haven't gotten around making a new run animation yet. And once they do, how are they going to apply it for us to use it in the game? Dropdown list? The same dropdown list they don't have the tech yet to allow us to pick travel power skins from?

Somehow, I get the feeling adding a new run animation might not be that simple.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I have 2 concerns:
    1. Why give us a new running travel power with Ninja animation when the community have been so vocal about how they dislike it and crave a new animation? They could have released something else and saved this for when the new animation was ready.
    2. Why give us yet another fire themed CS travel power when other power sets, such as electricity, don't have any? There are 3 fire options now, I believe.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Ellri wrote:
    I have 2 concerns:
    1. Why give us a new running travel power with Ninja animation when the community have been so vocal about how they dislike it and crave a new animation? They could have released something else and saved this for when the new animation was ready.
    2. Why give us yet another fire themed CS travel power when other power sets, such as electricity, don't have any? There are 3 fire options now, I believe.

One of the regulars on these forums (sorry, I dont remember who) has a quote by Heinlein in their signature that answers your question perfectly.

It essentially says that whenever you ask a question such as, "why do they," or, "why dont they," the answer is almost always money.

What are the odds that they did it because, as much as forumites complain, the C-Store SS TP's sell ?

Probably pretty good odds if you ask me.

Add to that the fact that the devs have already worked out the tech to add an energy trail to SS so it might not be all that expensive to produce variations on the theme.

In other words, this sort of thing is making money for PW/Cryptic/CO so its not a bad thing. We dont have to buy it, and they will get around to other options (a completely new animation will just take more effort and time to produce than a seemingly relatively minor reskin of an existing one).
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Ellri wrote:

I get the impression they may have felt presured to provide a non-flight skin, since the community (myself included) has been so vocal before about wanting to see something non-flight for a change. They've also stated that the reasons they do so many flight skins include (supposed) popularity and flight skins being easier to make than some other powers (such as Swinging), since they're usually just an aura effect.

Going by the aura effect thing as the easy option, that basically leaves them Super Speed, Acrobatics and Super Jump as their only non-flight alternatives for quick release. Acro has the same animation issue as Super Speed, but (I assume), both of these powers are more popular than Super Jump (popularity being one of the factors they've mentioned before for so many flight skins). So that left them with either Super Speed or Acro for quick aura TP skin product and release, and either one of those would have gotten these complains about run animations.
    Ellri wrote:
    • Why give us yet another fire themed CS travel power when other power sets, such as electricity, don't have any? There are 3 fire options now, I believe.

Hmm, maybe they should have done Lighting Jump instead (for an electric alternative, with no complains about run animations :D).
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    10 Chars...
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    This is pretty much the question that crossed by mind when I saw this thread. It's not like they haven't been telling us they haven't gotten around making a new run animation yet. And once they do, how are they going to apply it for us to use it in the game? Dropdown list? The same dropdown list they don't have the tech yet to allow us to pick travel power skins from?

Somehow, I get the feeling adding a new run animation might not be that simple.

You know, inclined as I am to agree... based on dev feedback it would seem absolutely EVERYTHING is a major technological undertaking of Biblical proportions involving game-code altering time, effort and manpower. Maybe I'm in a bit of a jaded mood but let me be Devil's advocate simply to provide more angles to the discussion.

From altering movement poses, standing on moving platforms, running up walls (sorry!!!! I know you hate this topic), costume pieces on both sexes, increased range of power color tinting (black to be specific), sitting in a frikin' chair ... all those and many more that elude me are major code altering changes that require resources not currently at their disposal or which will have to wait till fiscal year 2013.

Meanwhile they do have financial and manpower resources to currently develop 2, maybe even 3 games. That's what gets me.

However - that does not mean they are not major undertakings, I know the Cryptonauts care for CO and it shows. I just felt it should be brought up in any new discussion bringing up the term "not as simple as it sounds" or "major undertaking."

I still love y'all. Hey! I wasted mo time in purchasing my Fire Flip-Flops!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    One thing really irritates me about "Blazing Speed". They added another running travel power, but after two years we've still got the bug where the running animation gets glitched.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    DejahYeah wrote:
    You know, inclined as I am to agree... based on dev feedback it would seem absolutely EVERYTHING is a major technological undertaking of game-code altering time effort and manpower. Maybe I'm in a bit of a jaded mood but let me be Devil's advocate simply to provide more angles to the discussion.

From altering movement poses, standing on moving platforms, running up walls (sorry!!!! I know you hate this topic), costume pieces on both sexes, increased range of power tinting (black to be specific), sitting in a frikin' chair ... all those and many more that elude me are major code altering changes that require resources not currently at their disposal.

Meanwhile the do have financial and manpower resources to currently develop 2, maybe even 3 games. That's what gets me.

However - that does not mean they are not major undertakings, I know the Cryptonauts care for CO and it shows. I just felt it should be brought up in any new discussion bringing up the term "not as simple as it sounds" or "major undertaking."

I still love y'all. Hey! I wasted mo time in purchasing my Fire Flip-Flops!!!!

ROFL, this made me laugh, but it's SO true. It seems like every other change we'd ask/hope for involves a total lock down in production for half a year while they develop the magic tech that would get us through whatever problem or game issue we're currently facing and allow them to add just one more dropdown menu to the mix, give us pure white or dark/black color shadings or allow both sexes to wear a leg strap or something.

Like Kenpo mentions above, I've learned to lower my expectations to nothing just so I won't be disappointed(much) once patches go through and I see they could get the changes I've been hoping for, yet one more time.

Still my point remains, that people shouldn't be surprised we didn't get a new run animation to go with the new Super Speed skin, when they've been telling us they don't have the new run animations ready yet.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    10 Chars...
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Which is amusing considering how many things get changed seemingly by accident. I remember being recently annoyed enough at the effects for Pestilence being changed (among other things) that I stopped playing. Later it was stated that the change in effects was a bug.

So let me get this straight. When players ask for changes to FX it's a massive undertaking...but the bugs can do them in the span of a single patch with little effort...

Ummm, OK...

Hire the bugs? :eek: :D:D:D

Bugs: "Hey! We're here for the job!"

Attachment not found.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Bugs: "Hey! We're here for the job!"

Attachment not found.

Twice as funny is you read it as being said with a squeaky little bug voice
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Hey, if you want the run animation to be totally frakked, and maybe crash the chat again to boot, then by all means, bug away!

For myself, I'd rather wait on the run animation until they can make it work without freezing up, booting my character, or turning everything on the screen purple; make enough fuss when they announce its release, and if it can't be made a dropdown but has to be a separate power like Heroic Flight, you could probably convince them to do the same as they did with Jetpack Flight and make it a free TP. (That would be my preferred option anyway - people who like to run like anime characters would still be free to do so, and I wouldn't have to mess about with changing options so I can run like a grownup.)
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    10 Chars...
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Honestly, when I take a look at the game engine limitations I often can't help but think to myself, "wow, that's an incredible display of an absolute lack of foresight."

But thinking about it, it's not a surprise.

I love Champs, and Cryptic, but it's quite clear that the amazing engine they created was built to create a slew of clever niche MMOs in a short period of time. That means a lot of pazzaz, but in a lot of those areas, not a lot of depth, bucause quite simply, they wouldn't have the time in the year between conception and creation to really get all that in depth. It's adaptable to a theme, but not very versitile within that theme. Power Replacers? Yeah they're there. Do they replace powers? No. Nemesis? Yup. It exists. Pick up and throw? Totally there. But not there totally. Destructible environs? There's stuff you can break. Crafting? Oh yeah, 400 points of it. And all 3 bags you'll need.

Anyway, I'm not knocking it. This was the plan; the point was pumping out as many as quickly as possible to make money. Visually impressive with a lot of neat little features. Everybody knew this, it was expected, and I'm not upset or disappointed, it's the boat we all boarded. But it can be incredibly frustrating at times, and fortunately Cryptic is doing what they can to correct a lot of it.

My point is, yeah, "huge technological feat" sounds silly at times, but really, it makes sense. Champs wasn't meant to do a lot of what we want it to do. For all the love on it, in it and around it, it's a rather superficial game. That's just how the engine was designed. It's a house with 4 walls a door and a roof. Now we want a basement, and window it shouldn't be a big undertaking, but you have to tear up the floor and cut a whole in the wall while praying to god it can still support the roof.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    DejahYeah wrote:
    Twice as funny is you read it as being said with a squeaky little bug voice

LOL that reminded me of THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk97Oil2qnc

:D
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    10 Chars...
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Ellri wrote:

There's people that like it. And if they like it, they're unlikely to get on the forums and start new threads about how much they like the running animation.

So I can understand why they want to keep it around, but yeah, I was hoping that Blazing was going to be when they put out the new running animation.

To those who are wondering why anyone would think that the new animation would go along with the new travel power skin, it's probably because we were told in around the same time that a new run animation was in development, and that a new super speed travel power was coming soon.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Inertial wrote:
    Why? not once have we ever asked for another ninja run animation travel power.

While its nice you finally gave us a new SS its not what we have asked for literally since beta.

Its the durn run animation. That silly arms back like a kid being a jet plane we hate. The ninja run thing is what most of us dislike and wanted an alternative to.

I mean this can't come as a suprise to you guys, every ask cryptic have questions asking when we would get a new run animation for SS/acro. Reusing the same run animation with a new trail FX doesn't count.

This is probably the closest thing to a unanimous request from a player base that any MMO has ever had.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Nightrod wrote:
    LOL that reminded me of THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk97Oil2qnc

:D

Aaaaaannnddddd, there goes lunch ...
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Smackwell wrote:
    There's people that like it. And if they like it, they're unlikely to get on the forums and start new threads about how much they like the running animation.

So I can understand why they want to keep it around, but yeah, I was hoping that Blazing was going to be when they put out the new running animation.

To those who are wondering why anyone would think that the new animation would go along with the new travel power skin, it's probably because we were told in around the same time that a new run animation was in development, and that a new super speed travel power was coming soon.

That's the boat I'm in. As I said in another thread, some peopel want to run like The Flash, others want to run like Shinobi. I want both. Don't change it, but add to it. If Acro's only animation was changed to a "regular run" like when the animation breaks, I would be ****ed - Calsetes wouldn't run like that. If it were changed to a sprinting-like run more akin to DC, it'd be doable. But the ninja run is tolerable for him, because even though he's not a ninja, it's a very dramatic run that shows he's moving towards his prey - fast.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ROFL, this made me laugh, but it's SO true. It seems like every other change we'd ask/hope for involves a total lock down in production for half a year while they develop the magic tech that would get us through whatever problem or game issue we're currently facing and allow them to add just one more dropdown menu to the mix, give us pure white or dark/black color shadings or allow both sexes to wear a leg strap or something.

I think we've suggested that about white/black FX, and wall-running. Not sure what else? Lots of other stuff falls in the category of things that aren't impossible amounts of work but can't be done overnight, either. To you it might be just one more dropdown menu, but it actually needs to be hooked up to something in a way that doesn't currently exist-- which means changes on the back end.

We're pretty up-front about the sort of stuff we're doing, and even where it is in our production cycle. We're not standing out here telling you we can't or won't make a new run animation, we're telling you it's in development, and roughly where it is in development. Same deal with slotted auras, earth powers, 90s costumes and a whole bunch of other stuff people want.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Splosions wrote:
    I think we've suggested that about white/black FX, and wall-running. Not sure what else? Lots of other stuff falls in the category of things that aren't impossible amounts of work but can't be done overnight, either. To you it might be just one more dropdown menu, but it actually needs to be hooked up to something in a way that doesn't currently exist-- which means changes on the back end.

We're pretty up-front about the sort of stuff we're doing, and even where it is in our production cycle. We're not standing out here telling you we can't or won't make a new run animation, we're telling you it's in development, and roughly where it is in development. Same deal with slotted auras, earth powers, 90s costumes and a whole bunch of other stuff people want.

Would it be possible to get some artwork for the future SS animation? We could give some feedback on how it looks so threads like this won't appear after it's launched.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Splosions wrote:

All we have to do is hit a button - why can't you??!!!?? Hit teh button!!!

<.<

>.>

o_0
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Splosions wrote:

Ok, now I feel bad for making those comments :o

I was mostly kidding (mostly) and got caught up in the heat of the moment. The leg strap for both sexes portion was a reference to how it took a long time to equalize costume pieces across both genders (adding existing pieces to either gender that could apply to both), and I noticed that after this was done, the left leg tribal strap was finally added to females (I think it used to be available to male characters only).

But I blame DejahYeah for bringing it up... that way I don't have to accept full responsibility for the comments myself :D

EDIT/PS: Also, lookit the left leg female tribal strap on my new sig! I hadn't noticed I had screeny evidence of that strap in my own sig till now. That's the strap I was talking about right there.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Splosions wrote:

And that is amazing of you guys. Highly respect and appreciate the communication and effort. I'm sure most people understand things are not straight simple. It just FEELS that way.

A perfect example would be the Retrain Token. I remember thinking "why would that take so long.?" Experience taught me that it would be prudent to let RobBo make the call on when it would be ready. I rather it came out bug free than soon. But yea, I'm not gonna lie and say I didn't think "what could be so complex about that?"

And lo and behold, after much testing it had epic bugs complete with drama, social activism and bedlam.

I think most people understand "it's not that easy."

Just wish High Command allocated more resources in USS C.O. To make that process faster.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Ok, now I feel bad for making those comments :o

I was mostly kidding (mostly) and got caught up in the heat of the moment. The leg strap for both sexes portion was a reference to how it took a long time to equalize costume pieces across both genders (adding existing pieces to either gender that could apply to both), and I noticed that after this was done, the left leg tribal strap was finally added to females (I think it used to be available to male characters only).

But I blame DejahYeah for bringing it up... that way I don't have to accept full responsibility for the comments myself :D

EDIT/PS: Also, lookit the left leg female tribal strap on my new sig! I hadn't noticed I had screeny evidence of that strap in my own sig till now. That's the strap I was talking about right there.

ZOMG! Spineless Judas!

<3
  • Options
    edited November 2011

I blame the children.

Won't someone please think of blaming the children?

Anywho, Splosions - between you and G_Crush, I don't know who to stalk. ;)

But seriously, it's a perception thing. We think it should be doable in a couple of days or weeks, you guys think we're absolutely insane but can't tell us to go to hell like I'm sure most of you dream of nightly (in your shoes I would have been fired twice over by now). That's just how the customer/business dynamic works. We still love you.

Now get back to work, there's no reason we can't have a new zone by Christmas - it's just a bunch of doodles and some cut and paste. :p
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Splosions wrote:
    I think we've suggested that about white/black FX, and wall-running.

How about the Exit button? Swinging? SG bases?

'course we now know from the Exit button that all we need to do is find some way for this to bother the pvp crowd.
This discussion has been closed.