test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

what villains from PnP would you like to see in game?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
So what character from the books would you like to see in game or use in a campaign? I know in PnP it depends on the group and setting. (in game you can have a Batman type character facing off against Grond o someone else too powerful for Bats, Captain America or even Spidey to realistically beat...if the word realistically fits).

For me? In game I'd love to see a plotline involving GRAB or the Ultimates. Hell, I''d love to see Eurostar, but that would require the creation of new maps. (at least to make it authentic) That would be cool if there were a required team mission where you had to go to Europe to face Eurostar.

But even for solo heroes it would be cool to fight guys like Black Fang if the storyline is written well. Or Black Paladin and even the Engineer.

Its just my thoughts but I'd love to know what the community here thinks of it.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Mechanon, Gravitar and GRAB would be good for me.
    edited September 2011
    Mechanon, Firewing and maybe some of those Australian villains I learnt about in the lore questions thread. Maybe Taipan, he sounds like he can put up a fight.
    edited September 2011
    Oculon...

Along with a pass that gives a big buff to Eye Beams!

Ok well yeah, not really... Mechanon... Firewing... Plasmoid!

But I still want the uber Eye Beams...

:)
    edited September 2011
    d4everman wrote:
    For me? In game I'd love to see a plotline involving GRAB or the Ultimates. Hell, I''d love to see Eurostar, but that would require the creation of new maps. (at least to make it authentic) That would be cool if there were a required team mission where you had to go to Europe to face Eurostar.

Actually, you wouldn't need to go to Europe to encounter Eurostar. As has been mentioned in various places in the PnP books, there are a number of reasons why Eurostar would travel across the pond. European leaders often visit North America for various conferences, and Eurostar might figure they'd be more vulnerable to assassination while traveling. The annual G8 and G20 group conferences would make tempting targets. Eurostar hates the United States, for what it views as its economic imperialism by investing in Europe, and its entertainment exports that are contaminating European culture. They might attempt a crippling attack against Wall Street, or a high-profile symbolic strike on Hollywood. Mind you, a number of international corporations, media groups, etc. have their headquarters in Millennium City.
    edited September 2011
    As for who I'd like to see in the game, Professor Paradigm and his Paradigm Pirates would be a hoot IMHO. There are so many potential ways to use them, singly or as a team -- everything from comic-relief nuisance, to deadly threat to reality, on Earth or even the entire universe.
    edited September 2011
    Mechanon,

I'd also like to see some expanded stuff with Takofanes.

really the only member of the "big 3" who are all that well represented is Doc Destroyer and most of what we see of him is actually Shadow Destroyer
    edited September 2011
    Since Mechanon and GRAB have already been mentioned I will go with Menton. And not the "Menton" that appears in stronghold, but the real one.
    edited September 2011
    Mechanon, Fire Wing, Herculan (already in game, just need to fight him now!), and Talon.
    edited October 2011
    Tyrannon the Cosmic Cancer, Skarn the Shaper, Eurostar, and the Fox of Crime.

Oculon, but only if his eyes are considered OAF. :p
    edited October 2011
    The Fox of Crime is semi-retired in the current official CU. Age has seriously diminished his physical abilities and teleporting powers. He stays in the game by
    sponsoring GRAB.

If magic wasn't off the table for a while, Tyrannon and Skarn would be cool to see. Skarn has a very diverse cadre of distinctive lieutenants who would look marvelous in the game. And Tyrannon is a whole villain organization by himself -- every time he appears would be like fighting someone different.
    edited October 2011
    Mechanon,

I'd also like to see some expanded stuff with Takofanes.

really the only member of the "big 3" who are all that well represented is Doc Destroyer and most of what we see of him is actually Shadow Destroyer

A lot of folks have expressed magic- and Destroyer-fatigue, so I suspect they'll be out of the picture for a while. Mechanon, though, gets asked for a lot, so I expect to see him as the next big bad added to the game.
    edited October 2011
    1) Mechanon(he's mentioned so much in-game that it's weird he's not already a featured character)

2) end-game content featuring the combined Crowns of Krim

3) a comic series featuring a full-out invasion of the Earth Dimension by Istvatha V’han!
    edited October 2011
    Andre Panthanatos or The Harbinger of Death would be good npcs to see.
    edited October 2011
    Blowtorch and/or Firewing: Open mission event - In a devastated penthouse with the side ripped open. Doing what they do best, burning up the place with a billionaire hostage cowering in the corner.

Borealis: Light-controlling Canadian supervillain determined to conquer first Canada and then the world.
    In Canada, making full use of an enhanced Aurora Borealis, Only appears when borealis builds to highest visibility, or an Aurora event like in opening scene of Thor™. Event could be used for introducing / unlocking a light powerset on defeat.

Cheshire Cat: Teleporting martial artist villain, a member of GRAB.
    Open mission event at random spawn points robbing banks and jewellers in Millennium City.
    High numberr of Perk related number of captures/defeats unlocks a free TP skin.

D.u.c.h.e.s.s. Industries: One of the world's most influential corporations, secretly a branch of VIPER.
    In-game, in-residence in Millenium City.

Gargantua: Villain who can grow to approximately 200 feet tall, and at full size is one of the strongest villains in the world.causing mayhem in downtown Millennium City / westside. (Cosmic encounter) Open mission / Instance, lots of building destruction.

Howler: Supervillainess whose sonic powers result from her body being fused with Hzeel technology.
    Encounter in Millennium City, open mission event.

Kanrok the Acquisitioner: Malvan "bounty hunter" who wants to capture Earth superhumans to fight in the Malvan arenas.
    Prowling about Millennium City looking for Superhumans, random open mission spawn locations, he will try to capture you and if he does you will have to fight your way out of the Malvern Arena (scales with lv) to get back to Millennium City.

Mechanon: Big cosmic level boss, preferably introduced via endgame and/or a comic series pack.

Mirage: Supervillainess who uses gadgets, special effects, holograms, and trickery to commit crimes and battle her foes.
    Try to catch her red-handed in Millennium City, stealing from museums, jewellers, banks - multiple alerts off at the same time in Millennium City.... but which are real and which is the real Mc'Coy?.

Ogre: Super-strong, dim-witted supervillain.
    Dumb crimes in MC, badly planned, stealing from shops of no apparent value, humour in NPC chat, super-strong fight encounter.

Selenites, the: Insectoid aliens who live on the Moon. Protagonists of Moon zone crisis and raids on Moonbase. Inhabit the cavernous underground Selenite City, think Eden Trial on steroids for enviroment - big caverns, city carved out of moon rock. Queen encounter at centre of Hive, Men in the Moon / Starship troopers homage references.

Slick: Friction-manipulating villain, a member of the Ultimates.
    Random spawn open mission event, Slick will try to glue you to the spot or (aka: foxbat pin-pong balls) lay down a sheet of super-slick super-slippy stuff™ to avoid capture. Temp-device of slick-projector on defeat.

Star Guard, the: An organization founded a million years ago on the planet Odrugar whose members are dedicated to protecting the peoples of the Galaxy from all sorts of dangers, threats, and menaces. Its warriors all wield a powerful weapon called a Star Staff.
    Endgame, contacts from Until space station mission-hub after Moonbase crisis. Launchpad to Champions-Beyond content.

Stormlord: Weather-controlling supervillain. Any zone, rare (twice a day across different zones) random spawn location. Nice big GFX of storm build-up that can be seen for miles announcing his arrival.

Tachyon: Super-strong teleporting supervillain.
    More teleporting heists, this time somewhere different.... Vibora?.

Taipan: Super-swift Australian assassin responsible for killing dozens of superhumans; currently incarcerated in hot sleep in House Taipan, a prison in the Australian outback built specially to hold him.
    Breaks out of House Taipan in outback zone, you contact Walkabout or the Wanambi Man at the Well of the Worlds for advice in stopping him.

Valak the World-Ravager: Immensely powerful cosmic being who exists only to fight, smash, and destroy. As of February 2008 he's incarcerated in hot sleep in Stronghold.
    Possible cosmic villain for Champions-Beyond endgame stuff.

Zephyr: Wind-controlling supervillainess.
    Using the new Wind powerset (currently in development) - Open Millennium City mission event, random spawn points, lots of debris nearby: cars, rubbish bins, park benches, stones, glass and other material in enviroment that can cause crushing or slashing damage blown at you.

Loads more that could be gleaned from the PnP, but generally I'd like to see open event missions, preferably random spawn points to keep players on their toes, using the full range of vertical locations in the city (up on rooftops, penthouses and skyscrapers) for open missions, and possibly a feature of Devs being able to take control of these characters for memorable player-Dev events.

Thats all I've got for now.
    edited October 2011
    Very well thought-out possibilities, M_L. :)
    Valak the World-Ravager: Immensely powerful cosmic being who exists only to fight, smash, and destroy. As of February 2008 he's incarcerated in hot sleep in Stronghold.
    Possible cosmic villain for Champions-Beyond endgame stuff.

Valak was part of the 2009 Stronghold breakout. He recovered his armor and Cosmic Halberd, and is now lurking out there somewhere.
    edited October 2011
    Zephyr: Wind-controlling supervillainess.
    Using the new Wind powerset (currently in development) - Open Millennium City mission event, random spawn points, lots of debris nearby: cars, rubbish bins, park benches, stones, glass and other material in enviroment that can cause crushing or slashing damage blown at you.

Don't you fight her in the Southwest desert?

Wait, no, that's Galeforce.

Close enough...
    edited October 2011
    PnP Zephyr is a lot more versatile and powerful than Galeforce.

I'd just like to see more of the hundreds of existing named villains in the game, period. Ease off the mobs a little. ;)
    edited October 2011
    I would love to see Professor Muerte in the game. As I understand it, there is some IP issue that prevents him from appearing in CO, but if there was some way to include him it would be awesome!
    edited October 2011
    Bulldozer - preferably voiced. The Ultimates, Lady Blue, Eurostar, Shrinker. Mechanon would be pretty cool as well. If I had to pick two right away, Thunderbird and Utility.
    edited October 2011
    -Seismic- wrote:
    I would love to see Professor Muerte in the game. As I understand it, there is some IP issue that prevents him from appearing in CO, but if there was some way to include him it would be awesome!

Actually, Prof. Muerte is still part of the Champions IP, along with his Terror Inc. group. He's past history, though. Steve Long didn't want to use the character in his reboot of the CU when he bought the company, so he had him murdered by his erstwhile team mates, Scorpia and Feurmacher. Very thoroughly murdered, at that.

I know Muerte is in the IP, because a few years ago Hero gave me permission to bring him back (unofficially) and update him to the new continuity in Hero Games's electronic magazine, Digital Hero. I'll Attach his illo from the cover of DH #44 below.

It would be up to Cryptic, now, if they want to find a way to bring Muerte back officially.
    edited October 2011
    Bulldozer - preferably voiced. The Ultimates, Lady Blue, Eurostar, Shrinker. Mechanon would be pretty cool as well. If I had to pick two right away, Thunderbird and Utility.

Bulldozer would be great voiced if he was a recurring nuisance as he's written in the books. He just kinda shows up like nemesis mobs and if you beat him he just comes back at some other time boasting and talking smack. If his dialogue varied between male and female characters (since he's a jerk and thinks all women "want" him) it would be kind of a hoot.

In that same vain it would be cool if Witchfinder showed up to gicve sorceryu and magic based heroes a hard time. Thats probably way too much to ask programming wise but it would be cool.
    edited October 2011
    d4everman wrote:

In that same vain it would be cool if Witchfinder showed up to gicve sorceryu and magic based heroes a hard time. Thats probably way too much to ask programming wise but it would be cool.

Witchfinder would probably be best used in scenarios where he is hunting an NPC and you have to intervene.
    edited October 2011
    Anything besides MOAR Viper and arcane enemies.

Id love to see an adventure pack for ARGENT aptly named Corporate Welfare. And the whole goal is to stop them from being bailed out by the federal government as they hide incriminating evidence.
    edited October 2011
    I'd like to see more VIPER, actually. Perhaps a mission arc or comic series where you have to invade VIPER Academy? Or the rest of Dragon Branch, like Halfjack and Oculon. I'd also love to see a take on a particular Ripper plot seed in the VIPER book, where a female agent is given a transplant from him and becomes RIpperette. Master villains, it'd also be fun to see the Warlord make his debut. Can't go wrong with a giant flying fortress.
    edited October 2011
    I'm going to go a completely different direction and mention C.L.O.W.N.

Not because they are silly and Steve Long hates too many silly elements, thus left them out of 5th edition, but because I think there is room in the setting for metahumans and their hangers-on that aren't outright super villains yet not heroes either. Metahuman Neutrals.

The Zany is handled in current setting by Foxbat very well, I think a slightly less silly direction with Clown as a traveling band of metahuman entertainers [who are secretly Gentleman Thief types] could be made into compelling content.

Not everything should be a gripping emergency with many lives on the line or the fate of the world as we know it at stake.
    edited October 2011
    Actually, Prof. Muerte is still part of the Champions IP, along with his Terror Inc. group. He's past history, though. Steve Long didn't want to use the character in his reboot of the CU when he bought the company, so he had him murdered by his erstwhile team mates, Scorpia and Feurmacher. Very thoroughly murdered, at that.

I know Muerte is in the IP, because a few years ago Hero gave me permission to bring him back (unofficially) and update him to the new continuity in Hero Games's electronic magazine, Digital Hero. I'll Attach his illo from the cover of DH #44 below.

It would be up to Cryptic, now, if they want to find a way to bring Muerte back officially.

That's good news, as it means that there is hope that he could reappear. I did see that image being used as an Avatar and I was thinking: "Could it be him?"

Now I won't feel bad using him as my Nemesis :)
    edited October 2011
    Rune wrote:
    I'm going to go a completely different direction and mention C.L.O.W.N.

Not because they are silly and Steve Long hates too many silly elements, thus left them out of 5th edition, but because I think there is room in the setting for metahumans and their hangers-on that aren't outright super villains yet not heroes either. Metahuman Neutrals.

The Zany is handled in current setting by Foxbat very well, I think a slightly less silly direction with Clown as a traveling band of metahuman entertainers [who are secretly Gentleman Thief types] could be made into compelling content.

Not everything should be a gripping emergency with many lives on the line or the fate of the world as we know it at stake.

Never heard of C.L.O.W.N. Could you elaboate?
    edited October 2011
    d4everman wrote:
    Never heard of C.L.O.W.N. Could you elaboate?
    C.L.O.W.N is an old organisation I personally discovered back in 1990 with the 3rd Edition of Champions PnP.
    Here's the cover a link to C.L.O.W.N on RPGNet DB.

C.L.O.W.N is an acronym for Criminal Legion Of Wacky Non-conformists.

Back to the original topic, there's one villain I'd like to see introduced in the game or more precisely, a group of villains : The Zodiac (from the supplement The Zodiac Conspiracy).
    These twelve super villains always have my preference because of their symbolism, motivation and charisma.
    edited October 2011
    Maybe the new City zone could feature CLOWN?
    edited October 2011
    CLOWN was an organization of zany villains -- a little like a dozen Foxbats -- in the "supervillain" game to a large extent to have fun by punching holes in the pretensions of the authorities (including superheroes) by pulling elaborate practical jokes. One notable example was drawing a gigantic dotted line across the top of the Florida peninsula, with the words "CUT HERE." They didn't really expect those alien invaders to try to take them up on it. :rolleyes: Although CLOWN liked money and committed thefts, they made a point of not stealing from anyone who couldn't afford it, and avoided injuring anyone.

Steve Long wasn't the only one who didn't like CLOWN. Many players of the PnP game didn't appreciate the kind of humiliating pranks the group specialized in. Besides, such a large group of comic-relief villains felt like overkill to Steve and many others. OTOH no few Champs veterans retain a liking for CLOWN. I can't say for certain if they're still included in the IP, but if they are Cryptic would have the option to bring them back. Mind you, I've seen a lot of CO players who already are less than happy with the comical tone of much of the early game content, so might not appreciate CLOWN's introduction to the MMO. Not to mention the fuss of cleaning up after Steve's head exploded. ;)

There's no ambiguity about the Zodiac, though. The rights to that particular group were retained by their creator, Doug Shuler, so can't be used for the current CU.
    edited October 2011
    CLOWN was an organization of zany villains -- a little like a dozen Foxbats -- in the "supervillain" game to a large extent to have fun by punching holes in the pretensions of the authorities (including superheroes) by pulling elaborate practical jokes. One notable example was drawing a gigantic dotted line across the top of the Florida peninsula, with the words "CUT HERE." They didn't really expect those alien invaders to try to take them up on it. :rolleyes: Although CLOWN liked money and committed thefts, they made a point of not stealing from anyone who couldn't afford it, and avoided injuring anyone.

Steve Long wasn't the only one who didn't like CLOWN. Many players of the PnP game didn't appreciate the kind of humiliating pranks the group specialized in. Besides, such a large group of comic-relief villains felt like overkill to Steve and many others. OTOH no few Champs veterans retain a liking for CLOWN. I can't say for certain if they're still included in the IP, but if they are Cryptic would have the option to bring them back. Mind you, I've seen a lot of CO players who already are less than happy with the comical tone of much of the early game content, so might not appreciate CLOWN's introduction to the MMO. Not to mention the fuss of cleaning up after Steve's head exploded. ;)

There's no ambiguity about the Zodiac, though. The rights to that particular group were retained by their creator, Doug Shuler, so can't be used for the current CU.

From the description CLOWN might be overkill and not really needed...couldn't the Cirque Sinister (spelling) kinda fit that bill?
    edited October 2011
    You know, I am curious though. I know it hurts the City of players to know that their game was actually based on Champions and there are some interesting groups over there, but is there a super villain like Lord Nemesis from City of in Champions? I don't know hat it was about that guy, he wasn't even that special, but something about him made him fun just because he seemed to be everywhere.
    edited October 2011
    Silverspar wrote:
    You know, I am curious though. I know it hurts the City of players to know that their game was actually based on Champions... *snip*

Nope, not at all. Not one little bit. :)
    edited October 2011
    Nope, not at all. Not one little bit. :)

I meant more of the ones who try to raise a stink that City of did X first or whatever :p
    edited October 2011
    I'd love to see a mission chain featuring The Warlord, his superteam The War Machine and his Shadow Army.

preferably one that builds up by encountering Shadow Army troops up to no good, lead by Warcry, or two factions at each others throats due to the influence of Warmonger (Awad declaring war on it's neighbours, for example, with The Warlord selling his weapons to both sides), and then scale up the encounters until you are facing the whole War Machine. Then top it off with a lair as you raid The Warlord's Flying fortress, with a big setpiece battle against The Warlord in his power armour on the hanger deck as the clouds rush past beneath you.

Actually, that would make a pretty neat Comic Series.
    edited October 2011
    Silverspar wrote:
    You know, I am curious though. I know it hurts the City of players to know that their game was actually based on Champions and there are some interesting groups over there, but is there a super villain like Lord Nemesis from City of in Champions? I don't know hat it was about that guy, he wasn't even that special, but something about him made him fun just because he seemed to be everywhere.

Hmm, let's see... origin from an archaic era, Germanic ethnic extraction, scientific genius, made a vast fortune from munition sales, powered-armor-wearing, legions of followers, army of robots, labyrinthine plots, ambitions of conquest... sounds rather like that Zerstoiten guy who just moved back over here, where he lived since 1982. ;)
    edited October 2011
    I certainly wouldn't object to some members of CLOWN. They terrify me. Also, the Legion of Laughter and CLOWN fighting each other would be the height of hilarious I think.

Seriously though:
    Mechanon
    Firewing
    Eurostar
    GRAB
    Black Paladin
    Howler
    COIL
    Project: Sunburst
    the Ultimates
    rest of the Conquerors (Neutron, Arc, and Wyvern would make Ankylosaur less lonely)
    and a few more members of PSI. Specifically Deuce, Inquisitor, Omen, Soulfire. More Mind Slayer
    Zodiac has always been a favorite

I better stop there, before I just start listing everyone that's ever appeared in a Champions book :)

OOOOOO! ROAD KILL!!!
    edited October 2011
    This may be outdated, but I had a couple GMs who made great use of Pumpkin Jack.
    edited October 2011
    Bughouse wrote:
    rest of the Conquerors (Neutron, Arc, and Wyvern would make Ankylosaur less lonely)

Neutron and Arc are in the game (though in a very small role). Ankylosaur on the other hand never made it out of the concept art.
    edited October 2011
    I think there'd be interesting role-playing potential in bringing in both the mutant-hating-and-hunting Institute for Human Advancement, and the master villain Kinematik and his followers with their mutant-rule agenda. PCs could get caught in the middle of the conflict between Kinematik and the IHA; but which would be the lesser evil to choose to side with?
    edited October 2011
    SeraphyG wrote:
    I'd love to see a mission chain featuring The Warlord, his superteam The War Machine and his Shadow Army.

preferably one that builds up by encountering Shadow Army troops up to no good, lead by Warcry, or two factions at each others throats due to the influence of Warmonger (Awad declaring war on it's neighbours, for example, with The Warlord selling his weapons to both sides), and then scale up the encounters until you are facing the whole War Machine. Then top it off with a lair as you raid The Warlord's Flying fortress, with a big setpiece battle against The Warlord in his power armour on the hanger deck as the clouds rush past beneath you.

Actually, that would make a pretty neat Comic Series.

I concur. Warlord is another of the CU's master villains active around the world, whose potential hasn't yet been explored in the PnP game. As you point out, his organization is diverse enough that encounters with them would scale quite well. He's also a technology-based villain, which many in the community have been asking for after the past glut of magic menaces. ;)
    edited October 2011
    I concur. Warlord is another of the CU's master villains active around the world, whose potential hasn't yet been explored in the PnP game. As you point out, his organization is diverse enough that encounters with them would scale quite well. He's also a technology-based villain, which many in the community have been asking for after the past glut of magic menaces. ;)

He's one of my favourite CU villains, partly spurred by the fact that his organisation offers so much potential for plot strands.

There's his two general aims: 1) Create military conflict/tension around the world so he can sell more of his weapons, to fund 2) His desire to take over a significant portion of the world and rule it with a despotic fist

There are other villains out there using (stolen)Warlord tech (and desperately afraid he'll catch them), which can be used for interesting moral quandries: Sure, Devestator is a greedy, dangerous villain in a suit of (stolen) Power Armour, but does he deserve the horrible torture that he would suffer if The Warlord got hold of him? "I'll go quitely, just don't let them take me, please!"

There are his indirect links with the Hzeel, as Warlord's tech is a hybrid of human/hzeel science. A Crashed Hzeel scout ship would draw attention from many factions, especially those who also have an interest in Hzeel tech (Viper, trying to create more dragon branch operatives like Oculon; Howler, looking to increase her power by fusing more Hzeel tech with her body; ARGENT or (mercenaries hired by) ACI looking for Patentable scientific 'breakthroughs'; The Exoplanetary Society trying to beat the US Govt's Alien Affairs Bureau to the crash site in order to recover it for study. ~ Ok, I know that this overlaps with the start of the next comic series, but its still an interesting scenario.
    edited October 2011
    Dardove wrote:
    Neutron and Arc are in the game (though in a very small role). Ankylosaur on the other hand never made it out of the concept art.

Thanks for the update there. I guess I got Ankylosaur and Armadillo confused again (just like always). Where, may I ask, are Arc and Neutron? I haven't seen them yet.
    edited October 2011
    Bughouse wrote:
    Thanks for the update there. I guess I got Ankylosaur and Armadillo confused again (just like always). Where, may I ask, are Arc and Neutron? I haven't seen them yet?

They are outside of Stronghold and part of one of the missions for the area.
    edited October 2011
    Dardove wrote:
    They are outside of Stronghold and part of one of the missions for the area.

Cool, thanks Dardove.
    edited October 2011
    I'd love to see a Vandaleur or two. Or three. Or four. Even if it's just the Toad as a dubious contact, or Chatoyant or Julie Rainbow.

Or a return of the Scions of Caine!
    edited October 2011
    Mayati wrote:
    I'd love to see a Vandaleur or two. Or three. Or four. Even if it's just the Toad as a dubious contact, or Chatoyant or Julie Rainbow.

Or a return of the Scions of Caine!

Oh god... Adrian Vandaleur. The nigh-omnipotent jerk-**** of the Champions Universe (but see below in spoiler space) . I've never run in a campaign where he showed up (and couldn't think of a good way to bring him in to the campaign I ran for a time) but his write-up alone... I'd love to see him done justice and I'm TERRIFIED at the thought! >.>;

I'd play him up as sort of like John Delancie's "Q" (from Star Trek Next Gen), but with a lot more hormones.

A LOT more hormones... ^^;;

** Spoilers - The entire Vandeleur extended family/clan lives in mortal fear of Adrian, since he can TAKE AWAY (shut down) their magic abilities, or warp their flesh (for beauty or ugliness or to cripple or to cure infirmity) at his whim no matter WHAT defenses they have! Since the Vandeleurs are often very powerful sorcerers, wizards and magic users, then by extension, all the other magic users who know of him think he's godlike. He exploits this shamelessly (major bonuses to "Presence Attacks") but this ability - "The Vandeleur Terror" - in fact only works on descendants of his line in the Vandeleur family. Not on other magic users! But he'll often bluff them into thinking he -could- do it and his charisma and chutzpah is such that many a wizard has been fooled by Adrian into backing down from a fight with him!

Scions of Caine... Damn I'm drawing a blank here. Who were they?
    edited October 2011
    Aariny wrote:
    Scions of Caine... Damn I'm drawing a blank here. Who were they?

A band of criminal (or at least amoral) superhuman mutants, gathered by an immortal sorceror/alchemist interested in human bloodlines manifesting super powers. Part of the Champions: New Millennium setting published during the late 1990's.
    edited October 2011
    Oh right! Now my memory is jogged I remember them!

Wow it's been ages since I've looked at those books. Despite some of the weirdness of C:NM, some of the ideas in the sourcebooks were well worth using. I remember a couple of characters specifically were "rescued" from that aborted setting to become part of the main 5th Ed. Continuity - specifically Cateran and Hummingbird. Black Diamond was actually part of the Scions IIRC. Whereas in 5th, 6th, (and presumably CO) she's part of GRAB. A villain named "Vibron" was part of the Scions too. But he was a completely different character than that of the 5th edition Vibron. (Human Mutant vs. Alien from Andromeda galaxy.)
    edited October 2011
    A lot of the characters have changed in each edition I think. I remember back in the 80's I had a Champions sourcebook (never got to play, but I enjoyed reading the book) and in that Mechanon was built by heroes to guard their HQ, but turned against them. (He was basically Ultron back then). BlueJay I think had the same basic origin, but the book said she could used either as a hero or villain. Now she's a villain, only an unlucky one.