test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does a canon race fits this description?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2011 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
Greetings, pen&paper people, my first time in these parts, be nice, pleaaaaase. ^_^

So, I have created a toon, with no prior knowledge of the canon races of C.O. Tabletop.
I would like to know if any race comes close (more or less, I can always create a loop-hole saying it's a faction of said race ^_^) to this description:

- Humanoid
- Amphibian, lizard traits
- Blue skin
- Hermaphrodites or able to switch to fit needs / adaptability / survival
(Think the frogs mentioned in Jurassic park, or the result their DNA had on the dinos ^_^).
- Part of a space empire that conquers but doesn't enslave planets AND that tries to protect Life (in the general sense) on said planets.
(Think "The Day The Earth Stood Still" type of Alien / Star Trek Space Federation)
- Good with technology / very advanced in genetics.
- Individuals trained / raised to fit roles (Soldiers, scouts, workers, etc. Hive-like structure).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. ^_^
The more details, the bigger the smile you'll get... :-p
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Welcome to this side of the Champions pond, Meredy. :)

There is no canon alien race that closely fits your parameters. The nearest matches are the Qularr (masters of genetics, eugenic breeding and hive-like structure, but semi-arthropods; an interstellar empire, but not close to benevolent); and the Gadroon (amphibious/reptilian, but not adaptable as you describe; technologically advanced, looking to find a new home world for selfish reasons, but no empire).

However, I think I have a way for you to play your toon pretty much as you envision it.

Perhaps the most powerful ruler in the entire Champions Universe is Istvatha V'han, the so-called "Empress of a Billion Dimensions" (it's actually only about a hundred million, but who's counting). ;) Rather than conquering worlds across space, V'han's forces cross between dimensions/universes. She's attempted to conquer Earth a few times, but failed due to the combination of Earthly superheroics, and the fact that for tactical and logistical reasons she's only devoted the tiniest fraction of her near-limitless resources to the task so far.

Istvatha's reason for conquest appears to be the belief that she's the best person to govern all of existence wisely and well, for the betterment of her subjects; and indeed, the peace, prosperity, and standard of living of most conquered peoples generally improves under her rule.

V'han's empire numbers in the trillions, from thousands of different races, few of which have or are going to get descriptions; so there's absolutely no reason your toon couldn't be from one of them, with all the traits you desire.

If that doesn't work for you, please explain, and we'll see if we can set you up. :)
    edited September 2011
    Actually, LL, her empire numbers in the octillions of inhabitants -- but there's no way any of you could know that yet, since The Book Of The Empress (which I'm currently writing) ain't been published yet. ;)
    edited September 2011
    I think you're writing it just to have an excuse to use "octillions." :p
    edited September 2011
    Hey guys, thanks for the quick answer, sorry for not being as fast to thank you.

To be honnest, I think you found me the perfect exit door here.
    I made that character with a few ideas in my little head, but I didn't (have much chance to) check the lore / background for her story.

I hate bugs! Both the crawling ones and those in programs. Qularr were a no-no from the start.
    As for the Gadroon, I thought for a bit to have her a "specifically bred infiltration soldier", but they are more about adapting the planet to them than the other way around.

This is the toon, btw: Lizzy and her Primus entry.

As you can see, blue skin (fits even the Empress spectrum of green / blue), made her hair green to give a little "lizardy" look. She's got fins, but those are folded and hidden by her suit. I took a good bit out of the Lemurians as well to make her.

I wanted to find a race / species that would basically act as those aliens from "The day the Earth stood still": preserving Life, even if it means wiping a species to save it. I guess the "betterment of life at the expense of freedom" can cover that as well.

The alternate dimensions can also help me for the genetics part, like a V'ha / Earth where a hive structure / genetic selection is in place.

And the part about failed attempts is the cherry on top, it helps me keep with the scout theme I had in mind for her. After all, you might rule over octillions of subjects, you might still want some intel about a place where you got your behind kicked already...

So, thanks a lot for the help. ^_^ (Sorry, can't change font size to give a bigger smile)

Now, for other questions:
    - Is there a specific distributor for Europe (Belgium actually) for the books?
    I checked a few specialized shops already for the lore / background books, but so far, I drew a blank...
    - Do you think it's easier, in my case, to get the books in PDF format from the Hero website?
    - What are you waiting for!? Stop wasting time on the forum, go write!!! (Joke inside :-p)
    edited September 2011
    So, thanks a lot for the help. ^_^ (Sorry, can't change font size to give a bigger smile)

Now, for other questions:
    I checked a few specialized shops already for the lore / background books, but so far, I drew a blank...
    - Do you think it's easier, in my case, to get the books in PDF format from the Hero website?
    - What are you waiting for!? Stop wasting time on the forum, go write!!! (Joke inside :-p)

Glad you found the info to your liking, Meredy. :)

Steve may come along later with recommendations for a particular distributor in Europe. However, you should know that not only can you order and download PDFs of Champions books from the Hero Games website, you can order physical books directly from them as well; Hero ships around the world. There's also an additional advantage to ordering directly from HG. The current edition of Champions/ HERO System is Sixth, but the majority of books currently available for it were written for the Fifth edition. If you're just interested in CU lore, that would make no difference to you; but all Fifth Edition books from their online store are now half their original cover price, hardcopy or PDF.

Below is a link to the online store -- I tailored the display options to focus on Champs books, but there's tons of other stuff you could look up should you be interested:
    https://www.herogames.com/browse.htm?keywords=&categoryID=220001&releaseDate=-1&available=Y&book=Y&pdf=Y&multiBook=Y&damaged=Y

There's a FAQ link near the top of the store page with all the relevant ordering information. You just need to register on the website to order.

If you need more or other information or help, don't hesitate to post followups. ;)
    edited September 2011
    I wanted to find a race / species that would basically act as those aliens from "The day the Earth stood still": preserving Life, even if it means wiping a species to save it. I guess the "betterment of life at the expense of freedom" can cover that as well.

Istvatha V'han often gives a world/dimension/civilization she's set her sights on the opportunity to voluntarily submit to her will before using her full force against them. I could imagine your character's people deciding that serving the V'hanian Empire would give them the greatest opportunity to protect Life everywhere, even if their agenda doesn't precisely match hers.
    The alternate dimensions can also help me for the genetics part, like a V'ha / Earth where a hive structure / genetic selection is in place.

Many of the dimensions V'han rules differ in radical ways from Earth or even its galaxy, so you can devise whatever conditions you think are appropriate for "Lizzy's" original home.
    edited September 2011

I don't generally handle that end of the business, but I do know we sell to at least a few European distributors (including Esdevium, undoubtedly our largest customer over thataway).
    Do you think it's easier, in my case, to get the books in PDF format from the Hero website?

If you've tried several stores and had no luck, then probably that would be easier. We do ship books internationally, if you'd prefer to order hard copies from us.

Awww, man... ::scuffs foot in dirt and gets back to work::
    edited September 2011
    Istvatha V'han often gives a world/dimension/civilization she's set her sights on the opportunity to voluntarily submit to her will before using her full force against them. I could imagine your character's people deciding that serving the V'hanian Empire would give them the greatest opportunity to protect Life everywhere, even if their agenda doesn't precisely match hers.

Yes, and it would even fit her even more since her "pre-RP" introduction was going in that general direction.
    HeroSteve wrote:
    I don't generally handle that end of the business, but I do know we sell to at least a few European distributors (including Esdevium, undoubtedly our largest customer over thataway).

Will try to check that way, thanks.
    HeroSteve wrote:
    If you've tried several stores and had no luck, then probably that would be easier. We do ship books internationally, if you'd prefer to order hard copies from us.

I'm one of those that like the feel and weight of a good hardcopy.
    HeroSteve wrote:
    Awww, man... ::scuffs foot in dirt and gets back to work::

Lol, here's to cheer you up. ^_^