test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about universes

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
I only know of 2 Universes in The champ lore and those are Multifaria and Right Hand Earth, are there others and what makes them alternate?

Also one more question while im here :) what is the lore on Vampires in Champions Online (as you can tell im a noob to the Lore and am trying to learn more to make my online character ideas better fitted into the world they exist in)
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I only know of 2 Universes in The champ lore and those are Multifaria and Right Hand Earth, are there others and what makes them alternate?

Also one more question while im here :) what is the lore on Vampires in Champions Online (as you can tell im a noob to the Lore and am trying to learn more to make my online character ideas better fitted into the world they exist in)

There are tons of alternate universes, everything from worlds where equine travel never developed (Walking World) to worlds where the British Empire completely took over, to worlds where everyone is a reptile, etc. Alternate worlds are those that either experienced a timeline divergence, or where one detail is altered, but the chronology mostly remains the same.

There's not much in the way of vampire lore for the Champions Universe, particularly if you're coming from White Wolf's "World of Darkness" and expecting to see similar levels of detail. Best to use traditional sources, or (if you're RPing) the vampire lore conventions agreed on by the group you're playing with.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This is a good thread for me to ask a question in too actually:

Is there a finite or infinite number of alternate worlds? (Do we know?)

I ask because I have a few characters from alternate worlds I've just kind of made up since my default assumption is always "There's an unlimited number of worlds out there." for any given universe.

I grant it wouldn't necessarily change anything to find out differently; but, I'm curious >.>
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Istvatha V'Han's (spelling ?) lore would seem to indicate that there are an infinite number (or at least a number so large as to serve teh same purpose).
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I ask because I have a few characters from alternate worlds I've just kind of made up since my default assumption is always "There's an unlimited number of worlds out there." for any given universe.

I grant it wouldn't necessarily change anything to find out differently; but, I'm curious >.>

Champions Universe (6th edition) uses the phrase "Uncounted trillions of dimensions". So that implies the number is vast, but finite.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Good enough for me then <^_^>b Appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I found this on the Hero Games site. I found it to be a good general resource and has a little blurb regarding the Undead.

https://www.herogames.com/get/HeroUniverse1.pdf
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    thank you for the swift reply guys, I think for Lord Bloodshade Im going to have to base him on the Vampire lore setup from Vibora and the few levels that concern them coupled with my own little flare here and there.

and about the Universes I just wanted to know if there were any major ones, but it does seem like its a "if you fancy a dimension then create it" kind of scenario.
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I do recall something about there being 4 Worlds back when I was googling stuff about the Qilopthic because I was curious if it was based on lovecraftian stuff (it was. :3)
    http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/Four_Worlds
    Although it initially looks like 4 universes, it's actually better (especially considering Multifaria being another material Earth) to consder them as 4 different CATEGORIES for universes.
    Just a cool thing I found that might be interesting to you guys.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    dyl_do wrote:
    I do recall something about there being 4 Worlds back when I was googling stuff about the Qilopthic because I was curious if it was based on lovecraftian stuff (it was. :3)
    http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/Four_Worlds
    Although it initially looks like 4 universes, it's actually better (especially considering Multifaria being another material Earth) to consder them as 4 different CATEGORIES for universes.
    Just a cool thing I found that might be interesting to you guys.

Those should more accurately be considered mystic/spiritual 'levels of reality' the lore (as I interpret it) indicates that the further one travels from the material realm towards the pure conceptual/spiritual realm, the less possibilities exist for alternates.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SeraphyG wrote:
    Those should more accurately be considered mystic/spiritual 'levels of reality' the lore (as I interpret it) indicates that the further one travels from the material realm towards the pure conceptual/spiritual realm, the less possibilities exist for alternates.

Yup. from lowest to highest; it's the Material World where Earth is; then the Astral World where the Quarternion Realms (Faerie/Babylon/Elysium/Netherworld) reside; afterwards the Creative World & following that the Archetypical World.

The Qliphothic World is a fifth world that is supposed to lay behind the four worlds.

I think the alternate Earth's all lie within the Material World (i.e. Multifaria).
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yup. from lowest to highest; it's the Material World where Earth is; then the Astral World where the Quarternion Realms (Faerie/Babylon/Elysium/Netherworld) reside; afterwards the Creative World & following that the Archetypical World.

The Qliphothic World is a fifth world that is supposed to lay behind the four worlds.

I think the alternate Earth's all lie within the Material World (i.e. Multifaria).

Ye. Alternate Earths (or alternate Earth dimensions) all lie in the first World.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Here's two questions that I've been trying to figure out, where does the Frost Tomb lie? Faerie, the Netherworld, or someplace else entirely?

And Kigatilik, being an Inuit god, what realm does he follow in?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    A little bit later this year we're going to publish a book called The Book Of The Empress, which is all about our master villainess Istvatha V'han. A big chunk of that book is going to involve taking a look at the Multiverse as a whole -- showing what the structure of it's like, describing a bunch of sample dimensions, and so on.

We've described the Multiverse in books several years ago from a mystic perspective. BotE will include that material, but won't be entirely from a mystic point of view, since V'han's dimension-traveling/manipulating powers aren't arcane in nature. Our previous material didn't really discuss alternate Earths to any great extent, but BotE will, for example.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    HeroSteve wrote:
    A little bit later this year we're going to publish a book called The Book Of The Empress, which is all about our master villainess Istvatha V'han. A big chunk of that book is going to involve taking a look at the Multiverse as a whole -- showing what the structure of it's like, describing a bunch of sample dimensions, and so on.

We've described the Multiverse in books several years ago from a mystic perspective. BotE will include that material, but won't be entirely from a mystic point of view, since V'han's dimension-traveling/manipulating powers aren't arcane in nature. Our previous material didn't really discuss alternate Earths to any great extent, but BotE will, for example.

Awesome. Can't wait for that book now, I've always wondering if that aspect of V'han power being non-mystical in nature based be expanded on in the future. So, is the Canadian Pantheons and the Four Great Spirits based on an alternate Earth then? Or are they part of the Quarternion?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Awesome. Can't wait for that book now, I've always wondering if that aspect of V'han power being non-mystical in nature based be expanded on in the future. So, is the Canadian Pantheons and the Four Great Spirits based on an alternate Earth then? Or are they part of the Quarternion?

As those are my creations, I'd say they're based in places within the second World and not alternate earths, unless Steve or Cryptic has a story related reason for placing them elsewhere. They're almost archetypal enough for the Briah, but I think it's best to keep that separate from our dimension's mythologies.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thundrax wrote:
    As those are my creations, I'd say they're based in places within the second World and not alternate earths, unless Steve or Cryptic has a story related reason for placing them elsewhere. They're almost archetypal enough for the Briah, but I think it's best to keep that separate from our dimension's mythologies.

Oh, so Kigatilik would probably be from Faerie or the Netherworld (I'm guessing on either) though the Four Great Spirits reside within own realms similar to the Blood Tide is to Animals and Yggdrasil is to Plants? I'm I close?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd probably designate Faerie as Kigatilik's native dimension, but make him a frequent visitor to the Netherworld. To my way of thinking most figures from human myth and legend reside in Faerie.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    HeroSteve wrote:
    I'd probably designate Faerie as Kigatilik's native dimension, but make him a frequent visitor to the Netherworld. To my way of thinking most figures from human myth and legend reside in Faerie.

Ah perfect! Now that gives me two items on my quest to become the next Archmage ;) Thanks a bunch!
  • Options
    edited May 2011

They just aren't all sparkly and teen angst-y.....
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Alrighty, my friend has a toon that is an elf that was orphaned here from another dimension/universe/what have you. Is there a dimension/universe/what have you where elves and the like come from?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Loganius -- the best bet for that would definitely be Faerie. An alternate Earth would also be possible, but of the dimensions we've named and described, Faerie is probably the closest to what you want.

Lythrum, mentioned on CU 108, is another possibility.