test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rights to CU

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
If one was trying to get a comic made of their character within the Champions Universe.

Would they have to get the rights of CU?

Is this even possible?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2011
    If it was just a Fan-Fic comic and wasn't derogatory towards the Champions IP, I don't think there would be any problems using the Champions Universe. Heck, they have Mash-On for that very purpose...

Now if you wanted to CHARGE for the comic, that's a whole new ball of wax and you would probably quicky become aquainted with Cryptic and/or DOJ Games lawyers...

:)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rhyatt wrote:
    If it was just a Fan-Fic comic and wasn't derogatory towards the Champions IP, I don't think there would be any problems using the Champions Universe. Heck, they have Mash-On for that very purpose...

Now if you wanted to CHARGE for the comic, that's a whole new ball of wax and you would probably quicky become aquainted with Cryptic and/or DOJ Games lawyers...

:)

Well I'm trying to make this legit.

It's not going to be made with screenshots.

I want to use the Champions Universe....their world and characters a like.

My characters backstory and career are well fit in the Champions Universe. It would be terrible to have to recreate his whole universe.

That's why I want to know if it's even possible to obtain the rights to the CU for something like this.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If one was trying to get a comic made of their character within the Champions Universe.

Would they have to get the rights of CU?
    You'd need permission from the rights owner, which is Atari (via Cryptic). I cannot immediately find information on Cryptic's policy towards fan works, though it's likely that they have such a policy. If you wanted to do something beyond the scope of whatever they allow as fan work, you'd have to negotiate terms with Atari, and it's doubtful that they have the staff to even really deal with that sort of negotiations.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well I'm trying to make this legit.

What does "legit" mean here? Does it mean a legally binding statement that they won't sue? They are extremely unlikely to make such a statement for free.

Picture if the exact post Rhyatt made above was instead written by a Cryptic employee, let's say Poz himself for the sake of argument. Would that change anything at all? The correct legal answer is "no." A forum post by an employee is not a legally binding contract for their employer.

It's pretty impossible to get "certainty" in law, without paying the people who you are asking for certainty from.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    isometry wrote:
    What does "legit" mean here? Does it mean a legally binding statement that they won't sue? They are extremely unlikely to make such a statement for free.

Picture if the exact post Rhyatt made above was instead written by a Cryptic employee, let's say Poz himself for the sake of argument. Would that change anything at all? The correct legal answer is "no." A forum post by an employee is not a legally binding contract for their employer.

It's pretty impossible to get "certainty" in law, without paying the people who you are asking for certainty from.

"Legit"...as used in my post...means that I want to make a "true" comic...not just a screenshot posted comic.

One that is actually drawn and colored.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Legit"...as used in my post...means that I want to make a "true" comic...not just a screenshot posted comic.

That doesn't matter. What matters more is who is going to see it.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    isometry wrote:
    Legally binding statement no, but fansite policies are fairly common and make it difficult for the IP owner to sue as long as you actually follow the rules in the policy. On checking, the fansite policy is actually included within the terms of use, some relevant paragraphs:
    (3)..(e) Except as expressly authorized by this Agreement, you may not (i) download, copy or use any of the Cryptic Content or Cryptic Marks; (ii) distribute, modify, transmit, publicly display and/or otherwise use Cryptic Content or Cryptic Marks; (iii) rent, lease, reproduce, modify, translate or create derivative works of Cryptic Content; or (iv) create any derivative works (including without limitation fiction or visual art) from, or in any way exploit, any of the characters or content contained in the Game or on the Site, in each case, without the written consent of Cryptic. Cryptic does not consent to the protection of any unauthorized derivative work under any copyright law. The creation and sale of merchandise that uses, references or is based upon the Game, Cryptic Content and/or Cryptic Marks is expressly prohibited.
    (11)..(d) Cryptic reserves the exclusive right to create derivative works based on the Software. You may not create derivative works based on the Software without Cryptic’s prior written consent.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    oddTodd wrote:
    That doesn't matter. What matters more is who is going to see it.

I understand.

I also understand that I won't get the rights for free.

What I'm asking is...is there a way to go about obtaining the rights.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What I'm asking is...is there a way to go about obtaining the rights.

http://crypticstudios.com/business
    Cryptic wrote:
    If you'd like to contact Cryptic Studios regarding licensing, middleware and other potential business opportunities, please use the following submission form and we'll get back to you as soon as we are able. Thank you so much.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I hope you are the one who has the drawing and coloring talent, sir. I know for a fact that being a writer for a work that makes no money is a fools game. No one will work for you

I'm saying this because there will certainly be no money in doing what you are doing. I know it's not the end all and be all, but it is a factor. I don't mean to be discourgaing. I'm not suggesting that you give up on your characters. I'd strangle the person who told me that.

If your characters really are worth the trouble of putting them down in ink, distance them from the CU. Atleast have a way of doing so just in case. Also, if your characters do get published, delete them from CO. It's not really required to do so, just a good idea.

I hold a grim hope that one day Cryptic will hire writers and artists to start a line of awesome comics staring CU personalities and player written titles. It is a grim hope because it will probably never happen.