test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mechanon Lives!

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
Bring Mechanon to Champions Online!

I just love this villain so much. Fighting machines is also fun because there's little moral ambiguity for most heroes.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    They're definitely going to bring him in, he's too much of a part of lore to not. I think when they make the moon zone (assuming FTP makes enough money to be able to do so), he'll be a boss there on his space station.
    edited January 2011
    Hail Mechanon!
    edited January 2011
    Hail Heartless50, the real Robotmaster!
    edited January 2011
    I've been wanting to see Mechanon for soooooooooooooooo long.. Q_Q

To be a but a smear in his mighty, organic-loathing bootprint is.. *sniff* a long held dream of mine...!
    edited January 2011
    Mechanon's been strongly rumored to be the villain of the fourth adventure pack. Hopefully, fans of the World's Most Malevolent Machine will get to see him in CO by summer.

And, as this is the Paper and Pencil forums, Mechanon's available any time for an appearance at your gaming table, with his current game stats available in Champions Villains, Volume One!
    edited January 2011
    Jaybezz wrote:
    Bring Mechanon to Champions Online!

I just love this villain so much. Fighting machines is also fun because there's little moral ambiguity for most heroes.

Not having Mechanon at launch was another bad design decision. :eek:
    edited January 2011
    nam19771 wrote:
    Hail Heartless50, the real Robotmaster!

Thank you, Thank you :D
    edited January 2011
    segma wrote:
    I've been wanting to see Mechanon for soooooooooooooooo long.. Q_Q

To be a but a smear in his mighty, organic-loathing bootprint is.. *sniff* a long held dream of mine...!

You scare me sometimes, Segma..
    edited January 2011
    Here here, more votes for the machine!
    edited January 2011
    When did he first show up?

I have read that it was 1986.

However, in the Champions Universe...it states 1985.

I would just go with what the CU book says...but I've found typos in the book before...so I'm wondering what year did he actually show up...

1985 or 1986?
    edited January 2011
    Mechanon first appeared in 1985, as discussed in (among other books) Champions Universe, Champions Villlains, Vol. 1, and The Book Of The Machine. You can get the full details in BotM, of course, though a significant chunk of 'em are in CV1 as well. ;)
    edited January 2011
    HeroSteve wrote:
    Mechanon first appeared in 1985, as discussed in (among other books) Champions Universe, Champions Villlains, Vol. 1, and The Book Of The Machine. You can get the full details in BotM, of course, though a significant chunk of 'em are in CV1 as well. ;)

Hey Steve, who would win in a fight for epic robotic villain leader. ((If you know anything about mega man x that is))
    Sigma or Mechanon? I would love too hear your input on that thought. :)
    edited January 2011
    What the hell, bring on Skynet Ultron guy.
    edited January 2011
    I've always been fond of Mechanon, though I prefer the 3e/4e look with the distinctive (if somewhat funny looking) head wings or whatever they are.
    edited January 2011
    HeroSteve wrote:

Wasn't Mechanon in the old champions paper book that came in the box with hero alley? The book that had the picture of the cover of the Gaurdians with Flare shooting Ripper in all her bra-less glory? I would have sworn Mechanon was in that book as an example on how to build a villain.
    edited January 2011
    Yes, there was a version of Mechanon in the book you're referring to (which I think would be the 2nd Edition of Champions). There's been a version of him throughout the history of the game. When we did The Book Of The Machine a couple years ago, we went back and included all of them in Mechanon's history as different, progressively more advanced, versions of himself. So the one you're thinking of is Mechanon Mark I, whereas the one running around in the CU as of 2011 is Mechanon Mark XXXVII.
    edited January 2011
    HeroSteve wrote:
    Yes, there was a version of Mechanon in the book you're referring to (which I think would be the 2nd Edition of Champions). There's been a version of him throughout the history of the game. When we did The Book Of The Machine a couple years ago, we went back and included all of them in Mechanon's history as different, progressively more advanced, versions of himself. So the one you're thinking of is Mechanon Mark I, whereas the one running around in the CU as of 2011 is Mechanon Mark XXXVII.

2011 you say? Well, now we DEFINITELY need to have Mechanon in-game.
    edited January 2011
    Hey Steve, who would win in a fight for epic robotic villain leader. ((If you know anything about mega man x that is))
    Sigma or Mechanon? I would love too hear your input on that thought. :)

Mechanon.

eventually.

If Mechanon is defeated it triggers a hidden factory somewhere that rebuilds him with improvements that make him immune to whatever defeated him.

Mechanon's dominance is inevitable. We are merely attempting to survive a little longer...
    edited January 2011
    wrote:
    Mechanon.

eventually.

If Mechanon is defeated it triggers a hidden factory somewhere that rebuilds him with improvements that make him immune to whatever defeated him.

Mechanon's dominance is inevitable. We are merely attempting to survive a little longer...
    So he's like a robot version of doomsday but smart?
    edited January 2011
    Ashen_X wrote:

This is what we are led to believe.
    edited January 2011
    This is more (to me) remeniscent of Alistair Reynolds's "Inhibitor machine swarms" - hit em with one weapon and they either have a defence against it or develop one in short order. They just keep on adapting and evolving to anything you bring to bear, whilst they perform their function of inhibiting life in the Milky Way.
    edited January 2011
    4rksakes wrote:
    This is more (to me) remeniscent of Alistair Reynolds's "Inhibitor machine swarms" - hit em with one weapon and they either have a defence against it or develop one in short order. They just keep on adapting and evolving to anything you bring to bear, whilst they perform their function of inhibiting life in the Milky Way.

The Borg do the same thing, I believe.
    edited January 2011
    As does Doomsday :)
    wait I already siad that :O
    edited May 2011
    HeroSteve wrote:

How much have you written previous incarnations out of history?

I ask, because in the first edition of Champions there was no picture of Mechanon. He cost 345 points, however.

In 2nd edition he appeared as a smotth-bodies metal person with cylindrical joints in his knees and ankles that would allow up and down movement but no side to side movement, He had goggle-like eyee and a small, semi-rectangular "mouth" that looked like it might have had the slightest downturn at each end, mimicking a frown or scowl.

In 2nd edition he cost 600 points, indicatiing that that would have been at least a Mk II.

The cover of both of these volumes had a hero, clad in blue over grey with a grey inverted star on his chest getting ready to punch a red and purple-clad villain. The hero's fist trailed red energy and the villain had a green slit for his eyes from which he was firing a beam of energy.
    This was the same villain that appeared on the cover of the first Enemies book.

Third edition featured three heroes on the cover. In the middle was a male hero in red and blue with a yellow belt flying.
    To his left was a female in blue and purple, flying, trailing fire behind her.
    To his rght was a hero in green and yellow holding on to a line as if swinging through the air.

The game came in a box and there was a seperate scenario book that contained the villains.

Mechanon here appeared as a slit-eyed, mouthless being with cables mimicking the appearance of muscles in some places and the "wings" on his head, anchored below where a person's ears would be and going slightly out and up. Flat and facing forward and back.

This version cost 661 points, indicating at least a Mk III.

Finally I come to the fourth edition.
    A much thicker book and the cover showed an updated Dr. Destroyer shooting a blast at a hero that appears in the book as the hero "Seeker".

The picture for Mechanon is the same as that in volume III, but this time he weighs in at 787 points, indicating at least a Mk. IV.

That is why I ask. Each of the first four editions saw a progressively more expensive mechanon, indicating at least one upgrade. The second edition could not be Mk I unless the first edition has been totally wiped from history.

As far as Flare in all her bra-less glory, she appeared in that fashion on the cover of Champions II (not the second edition), but she was only shooting a generic robot.
    edited May 2011
    Mithros wrote:
    How much have you written previous incarnations out of history?...

I hope I don't get in trouble for this, but here's a passage from The Book of the Machine...

"...advanced models of Mechanon from earlier periods in the evil robot’s career: the Mark I (1984-1986); the Mark XVIII (1987-1989); the Mark XXV (1989-2001); and the Mark XXX (2002-2008). Of course, Mechanon evolved throughout each of these periods in various ways, some significant and others not, but these represent the primary models that superheroes fought."

The Mark Williams version (the first one you mentioned) was Mark I

The Denis Loubert version (the second one you mentioned) was actually Mark XVIII, not Mark II...

If he shows up in CO (hope hope), lord knows what "Mark" he'll be....

Edit: Fergot to mention that the Denis Loubert model that appeared in the Big Blue Book was, as you said, same in appearance as the Mark XVIII, but in the history he was actually Mark XXV...
    edited May 2011
    Rhyatt wrote:
    I hope I don't get in trouble for this, but here's a passage from The Book of the Machine...

"...advanced models of Mechanon from earlier periods in the evil robot’s career: the Mark I (1984-1986); the Mark XVIII (1987-1989); the Mark XXV (1989-2001); and the Mark XXX (2002-2008). Of course, Mechanon evolved throughout each of these periods in various ways, some significant and others not, but these represent the primary models that superheroes fought."

The Mark Williams version (the first one you mentioned) was Mark I

The Denis Loubert version (the second one you mentioned) was actually Mark XVIII, not Mark II...

If he shows up in CO (hope hope), lord knows what "Mark" he'll be....

Edit: Fergot to mention that the Denis Loubert model that appeared in the Big Blue Book was, as you said, same in appearance as the Mark XVIII, but in the history he was actually Mark XXV...

Yeah, but that was my point... HeroSteve indicated that the one in what he thought was the second edition would have been the Mk I, when the Mk I should have been the one in first edition unless first edition was totally removed from continuity.

That was why I was asking.

Especially since the game came out in real time before the continuity starts in game time.

The pictureless Mechanon may never have existed in new continuity, nor the Mark Williams version, for that matter.

I do not own anything beyond that fourth edition rulebook.
    edited May 2011
    Quick question from someone who's hardly touched the tabletop side, are Dr. D's minions immune to Mechanon's influences, or would the good dcotor have to worry about his legions turning on him should Mechanon deign to send a version of himself to Earth to battle for world domination?
    edited May 2011
    Here is the costume file of my rendition of Mechanon as he appears in Book of the Machine.

Attachment not found.
    edited May 2011
    Quick question from someone who's hardly touched the tabletop side, are Dr. D's minions immune to Mechanon's influences, or would the good dcotor have to worry about his legions turning on him should Mechanon deign to send a version of himself to Earth to battle for world domination?

Doctor Destroyer absolutely has to worry about Mechanon and take steps to shield his technology from the fiendish robot. The two have been implacable enemies since they fought a major "war" in 1990 sparked by Mechanon's objection to Destroyer "enslaving" artificially intelligent technology. Of course, Mechanon like everyone else thinks the real Dr. Destroyer's been dead since 1992; what he thinks of Shadow Destroyer (aside from hating him because he is, presumably, organic) remains unknown.

The Book Of The Destroyer has details on their war from Destroyer's point of view; The Book Of The Machine covers it from Mechanon's perspective. ;)
    edited May 2011

Dr. Destroyer's Destroids are not immune, but are designed to obey him without without question.

Using the character writeups from Book of the Destroyer and Book of the Machine as a guideline, the Destroids' likelihood of being coerced into obeying Mechanon is high unless it violates the directive of Dr. Destroyer.

Based on the game rules, Mechanon would have a 99.89% chance to Override a Destroid's programming, though if Dr. Destroyer ordered it to never obey a directive from Mechanon, Mechanon would have a 1.66% chance to order the Destroid around.