test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

HERO Games STR vs CO STR

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
How does HERO Games STR compare to CO STR?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Mostly it doesn't. In the Hero System, strength determines your lifting ability, unarmed combat damage (1d6 damage per 5 STR, and affects certain other powers), and relative strength determines outcome of grabs. The stat range is also much different, a 60 STR can lift 100 tons (basically enough to pick up any item in CO that can be lifted), a 200 STR can lift 25,000,000,000 tons. For comparison, Grond has a 90 STR in Champions (sufficient to lift 6.5 kilotons).
    edited December 2010
    Pantagruel wrote:
    Mostly it doesn't. In the Hero System, strength determines your lifting ability, unarmed combat damage (1d6 damage per 5 STR, and affects certain other powers), and relative strength determines outcome of grabs. The stat range is also much different, a 60 STR can lift 100 tons (basically enough to pick up any item in CO that can be lifted), a 200 STR can lift 25,000,000,000 tons.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out...

CO STR = how many tons?
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out...

CO STR = how many tons?
    That would imply CO bothering with figuring out weights, but the largest objects you can lift in CO are something like 25-50 tons.
    edited December 2010
    Approximate weights of things you can pick up in CO:
    tank = 65 tons
    fully-loaded 18 wheeler = 40 tons
    average car = 2 tons
    edited December 2010
    oddTodd wrote:
    Approximate weights of things you can pick up in CO:
    tank = 65 tons
    fully-loaded 18 wheeler = 40 tons
    average car = 2 tons

Ok...so 160 STR, I believe, is what it takes to lift a Tank...right? -or is it 320?
    edited December 2010
    Pantagruel wrote:
    Mostly it doesn't. In the Hero System, strength determines your lifting ability, unarmed combat damage (1d6 damage per 5 STR, and affects certain other powers), and relative strength determines outcome of grabs. The stat range is also much different, a 60 STR can lift 100 tons (basically enough to pick up any item in CO that can be lifted), a 200 STR can lift 25,000,000,000 tons. For comparison, Grond has a 90 STR in Champions (sufficient to lift 6.5 kilotons).

Hmmm...I would have sworn Grond's strength was only 80 in the original enemies book, but that's totally from memory. I'll take your word at that since I don't have access to the old enemies 1 book or the new books yet.
    edited December 2010
    Reactor wrote:
    Hmmm...I would have sworn Grond's strength was only 80 in the original enemies book, but that's totally from memory. I'll take your word at that since I don't have access to the old enemies 1 book or the new books yet.
    My number is from 4th edition Hero (Classic Enemies), so it might be different now anyway.
    edited December 2010
    Just got the new Champions Villains Volume 3 PDF today.

Grond is listed at 90 STR...25 ktons.
    edited December 2010
    Just got the new Champions Villains Volume 3 PDF today.

Grond is listed at 90 STR...25 ktons.
    That's... odd. Champions STR has always been 25 kg base lift, x2 per +5 (or x1,000 per +50), so he should be at 6.3 kT.
    edited December 2010
    Pantagruel wrote:
    That's... odd. Champions STR has always been 25 kg base lift, x2 per +5 (or x1,000 per +50), so he should be at 6.3 kT.

Check it out.
    edited December 2010
    Pantagruel wrote:

I looked in 5th Ed. revised and 90 STR lifting capacity is 6.4kt (probably a rounding issue). 100 STR can lift 25kt.

Did Steve rework lifting for 6E? Or, does Grond's writeup show a power like "Extra +10 STR: limitation, only for lifting"?
    edited December 2010
    In comparison, i'd like to point out that the "Hulk's" STR capasity is 70/100 tons (calm/enraged), 60 STR max, heh :rolleyes:
    edited December 2010
    In comparison, i'd like to point out that the "Hulk's" STR capasity is 70/100 tons (calm/enraged), 60 STR max, heh :rolleyes:
    Now, look at what the Hulk can actually lift, and try to figure out what it weighs. For example, holding up a mountain range in Secret Wars. OHotMU lifting figures are decent for figuring out which of two characters is stronger, but pretty much useless for figuring out actual lifting ability.
    edited December 2010
    Pantagruel wrote:
    Now, look at what the Hulk can actually lift, and try to figure out what it weighs. For example, holding up a mountain range in Secret Wars. OHotMU lifting figures are decent for figuring out which of two characters is stronger, but pretty much useless for figuring out actual lifting ability.
    Hey, don't shoot the messenger :eek:
    I only report the news, i don't make it :cool:
    edited December 2010
    Did Steve rework lifting for 6E? Or, does Grond's writeup show a power like "Extra +10 STR: limitation, only for lifting"?

When in doubt, go with Occam's Razor. ;) As far as I can tell it's simply an error I made, I probably read the wrong line on the table. It should be 6.4 ktons.

The upside here is that since the book hasn't gone off to print, I asked our layout guy to correct this so the error won't make it into the actual book. ;)
    edited December 2010
    HeroSteve wrote:
    When in doubt, go with Occam's Razor. ;) As far as I can tell it's simply an error I made, I probably read the wrong line on the table. It should be 6.4 ktons.

The upside here is that since the book hasn't gone off to print, I asked our layout guy to correct this so the error won't make it into the actual book. ;)

Good thing I got that PDF.

Seriously though...is 6.4 ktons the upper limit of Grond's strength?
    edited December 2010
    Seriously though...is 6.4 ktons the upper limit of Grond's strength?
    Other than pushing (like any supers character, he can push for +10 strength, which would be 25 kT), I don't believe he has any powers that can boost his strength, so yes.
    edited December 2010
    HeroSteve wrote:

Nice; do we get an editing credit? :D