test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tech level & availability of high tech gear in Champions-verse

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited October 2010 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
In the Champions-verse, just how available are cybernetics, power armor, and similar high tech equipment. In-game, we see some power armor troops from PRIMUS, UNTIL, Steelhand, etc, but they still field unarmored troops as well. The loading screens make reference to cybernetics and such improving medicine. In general, though, would your average person who, say, lost a limb in a car accident be able to get a cybernetic replacement? Could a wealthy individual buy their own suit of power armor?

What about things like energy weapons? I could see some advantages to hunting with an energy weapon as opposed to a conventional gun. Could a hunter legally get such a weapon?

How about recreation? Could a vacationer go and rent a hover disk to go touring the countryside? Have things like stimpacks or HoT Bots basically replaced conventional first aid? I mean, those would be really handy to have if you were out camping, away from immediate care, and got hurt. Pop a HoT Bot and relax for a min while you heal up...
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    In a nutshell, technology within the Champions Universe is basically the same as you would expect it to be in the real world if there were superheroes running amok. Yes, supers technology has vastly improved the world at large, Millennium City and advances in Cybernetics are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to that, but things are never that simple.

There are three main reasons why Power Armors and such aren't really available to your average joe. First, given the origin of superpowers in the CU, some inventions are the result of a once in a lifetime discovery, or only works in the hand of their inventor as a focus for their innate superpowers.

Furthermore, the government works hard to restrict availability to such technology and supers themselves are none too keen on sharing their secrets or technology with the world at large. There's also the issue of money, as state of the art supers technology is very costly and inefficient as far as production goes.

It would technically be possible to obtain such weaponry through more unsavory channels, but those are very rare occurrences and aren't exactly the norm.

If you want more details, I would strongly suggest that you buy the Champions Universe sourcebook from Hero Games; as there is an entire chapter going in depth on the nature of Superhumans and their impact on the world within the Champions Universe. (Including technology, of course)
  • Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Sprime seems to've summarized things pretty well. I can of course enthusiastically second his suggestion that you pick up a copy of our fine supplement Champions Universe! ;) On pages 57-59 it discusses the issues you raise, and some related topics.