test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CHAMPIONS VILLAINS Volume 1 Now Available In PDF

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
Hey folx! While we're waiting on the printer to get us the actual dead-tree version of Champions Villains, Volume 1: Master Villains, we thought we'd go ahead and start selling the PDF!

You can find it here:

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=250189

...and at other gaming PDF retailers we typically sell through, of course. ;)

Within this awesome 300-page sourcebook you'll find details on the master villains of the Champions Universe (plus their minions, gadgets, headquarters, villain underlings, and more). It includes, among others:

—Dr. Destroyer
—Gravitar
—Holocaust
—Interface
—Invictus
—Istvatha V’han
—Kigatilik
—Kinematik
—King Cobra
—Mechanon
—Menton
—Doctor Phillippe Moreau
—Necrull
—Professor Paradigm
—Shadow Destroyer
—the Shadow Queen
—Skarn the Shaper
—the Slug
—Franklin Stone
—Sunburst
—Takofanes the Archlich
—Teleios, the Perfect Man
—Tyrannon the Conqueror
—the Warlord
—Dr. Yin Wu

Check it out! :)
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Out of curiosity, is Menton based on the old suave version or the new Steve Urkel version?
    edited September 2010
    Menton is one of a couple characters where we asked Cryptic's permission to use the pre-existing appearance/background for the character rather than the MMO appearance/background, and Cryptic was kind enough to let us. Changing Menton in the PnP would have meant losing some cool Champions Universe background/story elements that don't impact CO but have been around in the PnP world for over 20 years, so we kept the (as you put it) "old suave version." ;)

And in fact he comes with a very suave Storn Cook illustration!
    edited September 2010
    I'm still of the opinion that the Steve Urkel look is really Menton trapped in a last ditch body from a mental swap, and his true body [or a clone of it] is waiting him somewhere.. if he can just get away from all the mental dampeners around Stronghold.

He's so strong mentally that even massively dampened and trapped in some geeks body, he can mind control tons of guards and make an attempt to escape.
    edited September 2010
    Steve, do you know fi they are going to change the way Menton looks in game?
    edited September 2010
    Prison can beat the fashion sense out of a man.
    edited September 2010
    I downloaded the book, very nice but I haven't picked through it in detail yet. Since we're on the topic of cosmetic discrepancies, I'll bring some points up again, comparing CO with C-PNP.

What color is Mayte Sanchez' hair? The PNP text says brown, but in CO and the most recent C-PNP illustrations her hair is white/platinum blonde (apparently taking the "Silver Avenger" job title a bit literally).

What color is Istvatha V'han's hair? The PNP text says white, but multiple recent PNP illustrations have shown it as dark and purplish. She hasn't appeared in CO in the flesh yet, though she is talked about in a number of places.

Timothy Blank (King Cobra): appears in CO as VIPER employee with no mention of his defecting and starting COIL. In CO he transforms himself as he did in PNP, but the end result is very different and doesn't look particularly snake-like. For the record, I find both the CO and C-PNP versions of post-transformation Blank kind of goofy; but that ridiculous loincloth really puts the PNP version over the top.
    edited September 2010
    Epiphanis wrote:
    I downloaded the book, very nice but I haven't picked through it in detail yet. Since we're on the topic of cosmetic discrepancies, I'll bring some points up again, comparing CO with C-PNP.

What color is Mayte Sanchez' hair? The PNP text says brown, but in CO and the most recent C-PNP illustrations her hair is white/platinum blonde (apparently taking the "Silver Avenger" job title a bit literally).

What color is Istvatha V'han's hair? The PNP text says white, but multiple recent PNP illustrations have shown it as dark and purplish. She hasn't appeared in CO in the flesh yet, though she is talked about in a number of places.

Timothy Blank (King Cobra): appears in CO as VIPER employee with no mention of his defecting and starting COIL. In CO he transforms himself as he did in PNP, but the end result is very different and doesn't look particularly snake-like. For the record, I find both the CO and C-PNP versions of post-transformation Blank kind of goofy; but that ridiculous loincloth really puts the PNP version over the top.

Downloaded?

I can just download this to my comp?
    edited September 2010
    Steve, do you know fi they are going to change the way Menton looks in game?

As far as I know they aren't. They've said nothing about that to me, and I doubt they'd consider it a good use of scarce resources in any event.
    edited September 2010
    Downloaded?

I can just download this to my comp?

Yes, the product we just uploaded is a PDF of the book. If you buy it you download it straight to your computer.

The hardcopy book is at the printer and should make its way to us shortly; I'll announce when it's available too.
    edited September 2010

That is an oversight on my part. Originally it was brown. CO changed it, and I forgot to make the change to the text. The No Prize explanation is that her hair is in fact brown; she just dyes it. ;)

It should be as illustrated. I should've changed the text based on evolving thought as to what she should look like.

Not every character that appears in CO is necessarily going to be 100% the same in the PnP books, as explained in the text box in the Introduction. The books give us a chance to expand on things that the MMO can only touch on -- something Cryptic encourages and appreciates, generally. After all, they have to review and approve the books before we print 'em. ;)
    edited September 2010
    HeroSteve wrote:
    Yes, the product we just uploaded is a PDF of the book. If you buy it you download it straight to your computer.

The hardcopy book is at the printer and should make its way to us shortly; I'll announce when it's available too.

Nice...are all of the books available for PDF download?
    edited September 2010
    Prison can beat the fashion sense out of a man.

Someone really ought to use this as a .sig file. ;)
    edited September 2010
    Nice...are all of the books available for PDF download?

Almost all of them. We started selling PDFs several years ago, and all of the books we've done since then (including all 6E books) are available in that format. For books prior to that we went back and made PDFs of them available for sale, but we haven't done all of the "back catalogue" yet. It can be a time-consuming chore that takes a distant back seat to more current matters, and the untimely death of our first Art Director, Andy Mathews, has made it difficult (if not impossible) to find some of the necessary art files. But we will get to more of them as circumstances allow. ;)
    edited October 2010
    I dont play the hero system(abit to crunchy for my group) but im shortly going to be starting up a supers game using the Icons rpg and i think im gonna grab this .pdf and see about adapting the villains to that rule system(failing that the new dc adventures rpg since i own that aswell).
    edited October 2010
    Volume 2 is out on pdf.
    edited December 2010
    Volume 1 or 2?

Which one details the most villains in this game?
    edited December 2010
    Volume 1 and Volume 2 are both now available as PDFs.

In terms of which one covers more of the villains seen in the game -- I can't say for certain, but I'd guess they're about the same. Volume 1 maybe has a few more, particularly if you count master villains' minions. Volume 3 (Solo Villains), when it comes out, will probably have the most characters you'll recognize.