test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CO vs PnP stats

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
I will confess to being an utter dunce at the PnP Champions universe (although I did find and purchase an old Sourcebook ('Kingdom of Champions') when CO went into Closed Beta), being more of a Rifts man back in the day, and this may have been covered elsewhere; although I did look.

Succinctly: are there differences and/or a formula for CO stats compared to PnP stats? For example, my CO main has a STR of 217. However, in that aforementioned Sourcebook (albiet from an older incarnation of the rules), the giant 40ft monster 'Gog-Magog' has a STR of 120. If my main somehow entered the PnP world, how would his stats change?

I only ask as I'm curious where my hero would stand in the PnP world, especially with the new Core book out, which I do intend to buy, but wasn't sure if the stats are transferrable in each.

Cheers!
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    We haven't published any official conversion guidelines yet. We were considering that at one point, but for logistical reasons had to put that book on the back burner indefinitely.
    edited July 2010
    I would imagine it would be problematic, as CO statistics and there effects are still being tinkered with.
    edited July 2010
    Thats fair enough. :) I appreciate the reply.
    edited July 2010
    Epiphanis wrote:
    I would imagine it would be problematic, as CO statistics and there effects are still being tinkered with.

MMOs are always changing environments, unfortuantely. Look at the latest changes in WoW to their stats, they've pretty much gutted and reformatted the entire system. Not saying that will happen to Champions, but things change for many reasons, including it doesn't make sense anymore to it needed to be streamlined.
    edited July 2010
    About the only "comparison" is straight out of the character creator, where in most cases once you take your innate talent you have 10's in all but 2 stats, and in PNP characters start with 10's in their 8 primary stats.

In PNP stats have a numerical correlation to various things (STR/5 = dice of damage done; DEX/3 = Offensive and Defensive Combat Value). So too, in CO stats have numerical correlations to various things, but the relationships are more complex than /3 or /5, and include things like diminishing returns. Further, the stats don't do the same things. STR in PNP does not automatically provide KB resist (although it can apply if you perform a combat maneuver to make it do so) and INT does not lower energy costs.

I believe the devs consulted the PNP stats when deciding their effects in CO, but leavened that with a healthy does of what works in a video game as opposed to a tabletop.
    edited July 2010
    In PnP, starting heroes are typically built around a 250pt system and you spend these points to improve characteristics and buy powers. A typical Might toon, will start with 50-75 Str. Grond had 90, so 120 is immensely strong. However, Grond in CO, is much bigger and stronger than the original PnP version.

Frankly I am suprised that they are even considering a conversion formula as the stats do not correlate with those in PnP. Certain stats are non existent in CO, such as Speed, used to determine how many attacks you could do in a turn. Defences are much more detailed in PnP, as you have separate ones for energy, physical, mental, flash, ego and power (vs drains etc). Furthermore , you have standard and killing attacks, the former do mainly STUN whilst killing attacks do more BODY and thus can easily kill a toon with no defence against them ie resistant defences.
    edited August 2010
    Cervando wrote:
    In PnP, starting heroes are typically built around a 250pt system and you spend these points to improve characteristics and buy powers. A typical Might toon, will start with 50-75 Str. Grond had 90, so 120 is immensely strong. However, Grond in CO, is much bigger and stronger than the original PnP version.

You are two full editions behind.

250 point characters was standard in 4rth edition [Big Blue Book] days.

350 points in 5th edition.

450 now in 6th edition [but you no longer are encouraged to take 150 points in disads either, rather instead 50, so character power level is similar to 5th edition.
    edited August 2010
    I will confess to being an utter dunce at the PnP Champions universe (although I did find and purchase an old Sourcebook ('Kingdom of Champions') when CO went into Closed Beta), being more of a Rifts man back in the day, and this may have been covered elsewhere; although I did look.

Succinctly: are there differences and/or a formula for CO stats compared to PnP stats? For example, my CO main has a STR of 217. However, in that aforementioned Sourcebook (albiet from an older incarnation of the rules), the giant 40ft monster 'Gog-Magog' has a STR of 120. If my main somehow entered the PnP world, how would his stats change?

I only ask as I'm curious where my hero would stand in the PnP world, especially with the new Core book out, which I do intend to buy, but wasn't sure if the stats are transferrable in each.

Cheers!

I don't think there is much correlation between the two.

In the PnP game:

Strength doesn't have a 'real' ceiling. A character of some type could have a 500 strength, which would be the equivalent of being able to lift the entire solar system or even the galaxy as a whole and throw it fairly far.

Characters have a SPEED attribute which maxes out at 12, and a twelve speed is VERY Expensive to buy (at least 80 points with a 30 Dex).

In the Champs online game:

The top end of a stat is 200-something and all stats go up the same amount with the right gear theoretically.

There is no SPEED attribute. However that would be a nice stat to add in later. What would it do? It would speed up the 'activation' time of a power, the casting time of a power, and the cool down would speed up as well, bringing it back to use faster. However it would also cost more energy to use said power. Maybe this isn't such a great stat to put 'in game' and 'everyone' under the hood is all balanced around the 'same' speed just for game balance reasons perhaps. Meaning SPEED exists in the game engine but is not modifiable by players.
    edited August 2010
    Reactor wrote:
    Characters have a SPEED attribute which maxes out at 12, and a twelve speed is VERY Expensive to buy (at least 80 points with a 30 Dex)...
    Yes, but 12 speed was soooooo much fun to play!
    (I'll never do something like that again though, it ****es the other players off too much :p )
    edited August 2010
    (I'll never do something like that again though, it ****es the other players off too much :p )

not to mention the GM ;)
    edited August 2010

A 12 speed is fun to play until you realize that you are spending either half your points on reduced endurance for your powers so that you can actually use them every phase, or half of your time taking recoveries :D
    edited August 2010
    Reactor wrote:
    Characters have a SPEED attribute which maxes out at 12, and a twelve speed is VERY Expensive to buy (at least 80 points with a 30 Dex)...
    (I'll never do something like that again though, it ****es the other players off too much...)
    Scarlyng wrote:
    not to mention the GM...
    Well, there is that :p
    Ashen_X wrote:
    A 12 speed is fun to play until you realize that you are spending either half your points on reduced endurance for your powers so that you can actually use them every phase, or half of your time taking recoveries...
    Reduced end in 4th ed was +1/4 (1/2 end) or +1/2 (0 end).
    (Not that big a hardship...)
    1d6 HA + 2d6 STR (9 active)
    0 End (+1: 2x Cost for AF), Vari. Advantage (+4: +3 active)
    9 (active) x 6 (advantages) - 6 (STR/free) = 48 active points

My standard attack was "3d6 (AF[x5],AoE[1Hex],Pen[x2]).
    It hit on an avg. of 5 times (high OCV :) ).

Instead of using a 10d6 attack that generated an avg. of 15 stun (3.5 x 10 - avg PD/20) every 3 segments (4 SPD),
    i used an attack that did 5 stun guarenteed every round/3 segments for an avg. of 15 stun.
    (As you can see, It still fell well within the curve)

If you wonder why i just didn't use a V.P.P. (Variable Power Pool) instead of "Variable Advantage"...
    ...It's because (after the first time) i was never allowed to have one AGAIN :(

(Who would of thought: "Instant change, usable vs. others, AoE, selective" could be THAT annoying?)
    (What? Haven't you ever seen a "Speed" character "Strip" villians down to their undies before?)
    (Sheesh!)

^^^ I'm sure you can see why ^^^ :rolleyes:

DAMMIT!

Now i want to play Champions (4th ED) again...
    ...Grrrrrr
    edited August 2010
    Well, there is that :p

Reduced end in 4th ed was +1/4 (1/2 end) or +1/2 (0 end).
    (Not that big a hardship...)

My standard attack was "3d6 (AF[x5],AoE[1Hex],Pen[x2]).
    It hit on an avg. of 5 times (high OCV :) ).

Instead of using a 10d6 attack that generated an avg. of 15 stun (3.5 x 10 - avg PD/20) every 3 segments (4 SPD),
    i used an attack that did 5 stun guarenteed every round/3 segments for an avg. of 15 stun.
    (As you can see, It still fell well within the curve)

If you wonder why i just didn't use a V.P.P. (Variable Power Pool) instead of "Variable Advantage"...
    ...It's because (after the first time) i was never allowed to have one AGAIN :(

(Who would of thought: "Instant change, usable vs. others, AoE, selective" could be THAT annoying?)
    (What? Haven't you ever seen a "Speed" character "Strip" villians down to their undies before?)
    (Sheesh!)

^^^ I'm sure you can see why ^^^ :rolleyes:

DAMMIT!

Now i want to play Champions (4th ED) again...
    ...Grrrrrr

Ahh now I see. All a matter of campaign power level. Most of the games I played in wouldnt accomodate a 12 speed or a CV that high but those that did would be populated with villains who would not be phased by that attack. Then again, you have the ultimate in versatility and could just switch to a different series of advantages as needed (NND-hard ear cover-lighting fast slaps at the targets ears causing an over-pressure effect) Definately a very cool effect.

Currently I am representing a character whose superpower is sufficiently difficult to use that he relies on sophisticated weapons (and martial arts) to round out his combat capabilities. I use a variable advantage and variable special effect combo on an RKA to represent a large number of different weapon options available to the character. THose advantages are really underused considering how much they can help you represent a concept.
    edited August 2010
    Ashen_X wrote:
    Ahh now I see. All a matter of campaign power level. Most of the games I played in wouldnt accomodate a 12 speed or a CV that high but those that did would be populated with villains who would not be phased by that attack...
    We had:
    • Active point cap (60)
    • Max dice cap (12)
    • Attribute/Power/Skill point (total) caps (125/125/50)
    The character in question had high DEX(33)/SPD(12)/REC(10), but under 1/2 human max for everything else.
    (You'd be surprised how high you can get some stats at the cost of others ;) )

What we (the players) did with those points set the tone of the campain.
    (I believe the quote from the GM was "I'll give you guys some rope, don't hang yourself with it!")

Our theme was "Super Normals".
    One character was super strong, another guy was super smart, etc.
    But just because you've got high stats in one area doens't make you unstoppable.
    (Believe me, my character got nailed by a bullet once, and it wasn't pretty!)

I've played some campains where the power level was higher,
    but it wasn't as fun :p
    edited August 2010
    We had:
    • Active point cap (60)
    • Max dice cap (12)
    • Attribute/Power/Skill point (total) caps (125/125/50)
    The character in question had high DEX(33)/SPD(12)/REC(10), but under 1/2 human max for everything else.
    (You'd be surprised how high you can get some stats at the cost of others ;) )

What we (the players) did with those points set the tone of the campain.
    (I believe the quote from the GM was "I'll give you guys some rope, don't hang yourself with it!")

Our theme was "Super Normals".
    One character was super strong, another guy was super smart, etc.
    But just because you've got high stats in one area doens't make you unstoppable.
    (Believe me, my character got nailed by a bullet once, and it wasn't pretty!)

I've played some campains where the power level was higher,
    but it wasn't as fun :p

My group plays at a higher level of power usually, but some of our most enjoyable games have been similar to what you have described. I ran a game in which all characters were restricted to normal characteristic maxima, except for a schtick (a brick would be allowed to buy up his strength and maybe con, a speedster their dex and spd). WHat really set the heroes apart from normals were their powers.

One of my all time favorite campaigns was inspired by the X-Men: Evolution animated show. We used our homegrown setting but focussed on lower powered teen supers still in highschool. It was a blast.
    edited August 2010
    Rune wrote:
    You are two full editions behind.

250 point characters was standard in 4rth edition [Big Blue Book] days.

350 points in 5th edition.

450 now in 6th edition [but you no longer are encouraged to take 150 points in disads either, rather instead 50, so character power level is similar to 5th edition.

I know, but he only has old source books and for that period heroes were based on 250 usually. Personally I prefer the lower cap as I never liked Superman, Hulk et al. However, I wouldn't mind a higher cap as long as the points are only spent on non combat abilities such as skills.
    edited August 2010
    *reads the thread*
    *brain asplodes*
    edited August 2010
    ...*brain asplodes*
    1d6 (AoE/Selective/AFx1001101010101/0End)

"Translation"

*catches all the microscopic brain matter flying out at the speed of sound and puts them back in GB's head* :p
    edited August 2010
    I want a conversion suppliment, and am willing to pay.

I want to put my character Judge Bott up against Iron Man in my java arena.
    I know it is using an old version of Hero Games rules, and doesn't include everything, but it is still fun to play with.

http://ultimatebattles.com/battledome/
    edited September 2010

Ya know what? There was a time in my life when that little JAVA applet Battle Arena thingie would have kept me occupied for months, fueled by my zest for Champions alone.

:D