test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'm thinking about starting up the pen and pencil..

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
I don't really know much about the actual game, and I'd have to get my friends into it in order for me to play. The only game I play that would even be closely related to hero games (I think that's what it's called) is warhammer 40k. I use to play magic back in the day also. This game looks nice though...can someone convince me to buy it?:rolleyes:
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Imagine if you will a RPG which gives you the tools to create exactly the character you want to play.

CO is an extremely watered down version (not complaining just being honest) of the Hero System's open character creation.

When I say anything you want, I mean it.

Player one wants a classic superhero with flight, superstrength, eye beams, frost breath, x-ray vision, and invulnerability.

The system allows for it.

Player Two want something a little more off-beat. He wants to play a character that can bend teh fabric of space-time so as to alter the dimensions of any object.

Not a problem.

The key to this system is that you define exactly what you want to be able to accomplish with your abilities, and then use the tools provided to represent your vision.

Many (most) games start off with: "Let me look at the classes/skills/powers/etc to see whats allowed and then Ill pick what Im going to play."

In Hero System it starts with, "what do you want to play, the system exists to be manipulated to give you what you want."

I should make clear that Hero System is not a superhero game. It is a universal game system that can be used to represent any genre (inicluding Warhammer 40k)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That sounds pretty good, the only thing though, is there rules for combat? If the combat is good that would be what would grab me. I'm not much of a role player but I think I could try if the combat was well worth it.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The combat system is very detailed.

You play out every maneuver.

A combat turn is 12 seconds long. It is broken down into 1 second "segments" numbered from 1 - 12.

Your "Speed" Characteristic (ranginf from 1 - 12)determines how many actions you get spread out over the course of the turn.

A character with a speed of 6 will get 6 actions per turn (spread out evenly over the turn: on segments 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12)

Play can be very very tactical as you try to keep track of the speed attributes of your foes so that you know what segments they act on so that you can take advantage of their down time.

For example if you have figured out that your foe ahs a 6 speed, and so doesnt act on segment 5, you might time your biggest atack to arrive when he is less able to defend himself.

This system rewards people for highly tactical play, but doesnt require it. If you want to just play a wade in and smash things brick, you can. If you want to play a martial artist that relies on outmaneuvering his foes, you can.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That sounds...pretty freaking awesome. If I buy a rule book which one should I get or would you recommend?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    There is a new edition (6th edition) of the game that just came out. It is supposed to be more streamlined and easier to use than previous editions (5th edition basic rule book was 3 times as many pages as warhamer 40k, which is a pretty big book itself).

I have not used 6th edition myself as of yet, but you might want to start with it since it is current.

The way the game is sold is:

Hero System Rule Book: has all of the rules for basic play

Champions Book: has suggestions for how to use the Hero System rules to run/play in a superhero game.

Only the main book is, "necessary," all others are add ons to make things easier and to help you with ideas.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ashen_X wrote:
    There is a new edition (6th edition) of the game that just came out. It is supposed to be more streamlined and easier to use than previous editions (5th edition basic rule book was 3 times as many pages as warhamer 40k, which is a pretty big book itself).

I have not used 6th edition myself as of yet, but you might want to start with it since it is current.

The way the game is sold is:

Hero System Rule Book: has all of the rules for basic play

Champions Book: has suggestions for how to use the Hero System rules to run/play in a superhero game.

Only the main book is, "necessary," all others are add ons to make things easier and to help you with ideas.

Sounds good :) I think I'll go get the main book this week then. Thanks for helping explain :D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    krunksmash wrote:
    Sounds good :) I think I'll go get the main book this week then. Thanks for helping explain :D

Enjoy.

I must admit that the many hundreds of dollars worth of 5th edition books on my shelf make me resistant to the idea of changing to 6th edition, but I may do so anyway.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Er...On a more careful reading, that question's kinda pointess. I'll ask again elsewhere. :o
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ashen_X wrote:
    Enjoy.

I must admit that the many hundreds of dollars worth of 5th edition books on my shelf make me resistant to the idea of changing to 6th edition, but I may do so anyway.

I've bought every edition starting with the 1st. I know what you mean. I fight it and then I succumb and buy them all.

I wanted to add that there's also an Advanced Rulebook and that all of the pen and paper books from Hero System are also in PDF form.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I really miss playing PnP RPG's. But when friends get married, have kids, and move to different states; what can ya do?

The greatest thing about PnP RPGs is the unparallelled flexibility. If there are rules you don't want to use...don't use them. If a campaign is proving too difficult for your players, you can adjust it on the fly. Plus, as an extra added bonus, you get to goof around with your friends and be subject to some of the weirdest, most out of place conversations that may ever plague your friendship.

:)

Good times.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Grimraven wrote:
    I really miss playing PnP RPG's. But when friends get married, have kids, and move to different states; what can ya do?

The greatest thing about PnP RPGs is the unparallelled flexibility. If there are rules you don't want to use...don't use them. If a campaign is proving too difficult for your players, you can adjust it on the fly. Plus, as an extra added bonus, you get to goof around with your friends and be subject to some of the weirdest, most out of place conversations that may ever plague your friendship.

:)

Good times.

You get your gaming friends on Ventrilo, use an online whiteboard program like dabbleboard, start up a private forum for character bios, pictures, GM handouts, etc, and keep gaming one night a week/month/whatever.

The stories, oddball conversations, and plain old palling around dont have to stop. And neither does the game.

Its a bit more effort to organize, but remind the wives that getting online to game with friends is soooooo much better than a guys night out at the bar, or poker night at Joey's house (everyone knows his wife is a ***** !)