test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who Created Mechon? Dr.Willy maybe XD

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
I was joking on Dr. Willy part, but? Who did make Mechon? It would explain why he hates the humans/humanoid kind and robots who don't support in his way of life.
And can you give an image as well of his creator? :confused:
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    According to one of the books I was looking at, no one knows.
    edited June 2010
    HAHAHAHAHA...
    Actually, I know who created Mechanon...
    But...
    I'm not going to tell...
    Because Cryptic might change the creator of Mechanon in-game...if they do, it means it becomes canon.
    If Cryptic does NOT change the creator of Mechanon, and leave it the original creator, then I don't want to spoil who the creator of Mechanon is...
    The creator of Mechanon was NOT mentioned at all in the blue hardcover books.
    I'll give one hint: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    Mechanon has nothing to do with Nemesis, if anything, Nemesis is a Mechanon plot.
    edited June 2010
    The wiki has it as some super hero group that created Mechanon to protect their HQ from super villains, but a flaw in his CPU made him want to kill humans instead.
    edited June 2010
    Musa wrote:
    The wiki has it as some super hero group that created Mechanon to protect their HQ from super villains, but a flaw in his CPU made him want to kill humans instead.

The Guardians: Flare, Marksman, Gargoyle, and Rose.
    The Guardians don't exist in Champions Online.
    That's the reason I was being so cheeky.
    But there is actually more to it...Cryptic can change or retcon the previous history...
    Until Champions Online says who created Mechanon, it means Mechanon was created by...
    :cool:
    edited June 2010
    What if, and this is a "What if" Destroyer convinced Mechon that the humans where evil? And his the true puppeteer of this war? ;)
    edited June 2010
    The Guardians/Superhero group origin was a 1E through 4E concept (1981-1989). Mechanon's origins were changed to unknown in 5E and that seems to be carried over into 6E. Conspiracies abound stating Mechanon was created by every great robotics mind in the CU but no one knows for sure.
    edited June 2010
    Cosmic_One wrote:
    The Guardians/Superhero group origin was a 1E through 4E concept (1981-1989). Mechanon's origins were changed to unknown in 5E and that seems to be carried over into 6E. Conspiracies abound stating Mechanon was created by every great robotics mind in the CU but no one knows for sure.

I remember seeing a picture of someone getting a soda from an old Mechanon robot that was converted into a vending machine in one of the books or the comic.
    edited June 2010
    What if, and this is a "What if" Destroyer convinced Mechon that the humans where evil? And his the true puppeteer of this war? ;)

Well...
    Mechanon thought organics were inferior from the get-go, he probably doesn't care if they are evil nor even if they make great julian fries.
    Mechanon would try to kill destroyer I would assume, since destroyer is still organic.
    Destroyer can't control Mechanon, no one can.
    That is why Mechanon is always out there...
    I'd love to see an entire Mechanonzone...as a raid...H.R. Giger style...yeah that's the ticket :D
    edited June 2010
    Reactor wrote:
    I remember seeing a picture of someone getting a soda from an old Mechanon robot that was converted into a vending machine in one of the books or the comic.
    I don't remember him as a vending machine but I do remember a picture of him in Champions III (2e) where one of his captured bodies is used like a 'cigar store indian' shown in the background while Foxbat is breaking into The Guardians' HQ.
    edited June 2010
    Well, I did earn the Mechanon Loremaster Perk, so while I'm not familiar with the source material, I do know a bit about him through what we have in the game.

Truth is, all of the lore we have is pretty much based on circumstantial evidences and crazy talk, lending credence to the Theory that nobody knows who created Mechanon.

Theory #1: Forged by Destroyer

The only person with the sufficient technology to create Mechanon would have to be none other than Dr. Destroyer; and not out of some diabolical plan to conquer the universe, but rather as a mean to create an equal for himself. Sort of like a giant ego trip.

Problem with this theory, is that it pretty stands on the idea that Dr. Destroyer was just a sad sulky puppy in need of a friend...

Theory #2: Vanguard of the Invasion

This theory is based on the idea that Mechanon's technology is too advanced to have originated from Earth, and as such may well be only a vanguard of a massive alien invasion bent on conquering and annihilating the Earth. Another variation of this theory, is that Mechanon comes from the future, which would explain why his technology is so advanced; but the author of said theory, seemed not too keen on that one...

Theory #3: Internet Ex Machina

The core of Gadget Boy's theory about Mechanon, is that he originated from the Internet, and in turn created the whole endless speculations about Mechanon, within the Champs universe Internet. He might just be a part of this whole "The Internet is sentient and will someday get us" conspiracy. The problem is, that nobody has any real information to back up their case, so it is impossible to come to a proper conclusion.

These whole theories may sound cheesy to boot, but that's all we got...

So... I'll just go ahead and say he's the result of a Megaman / Champions cross-over where Dr. Wily unleashed him upon the CUverse.
    edited June 2010
    Cosmic_One wrote:
    I don't remember him as a vending machine but I do remember a picture of him in Champions III (2e) where one of his captured bodies is used like a 'cigar store indian' shown in the background while Foxbat is breaking into The Guardians' HQ.

That's the one...I need to break my books out of storage...oy!

I'm planning on getting the new books soon™...
    edited June 2010
    Reactor wrote:
    That's the one...I need to break my books out of storage...oy!

I'm planning on getting the new books soon™...
    I only purchased one of the 6E books, myself. I'm content with my 5E gear and, to be honest, I spend more time playing M&M now then I do HERO. And with the upcoming DC Adventures books coming for M&M in a couple of months it will probably be quite some time before I get back to playing Champions. :)
    edited June 2010
    Mechanon is a riff on Marvel's Ultron, who was built by Hank Pym (ant man, giant man, etc). Same irrational hatren for human beings (i.e. organics) and a primary nemesis for the supergroup that created him. Pretty cool comics trope, IMO.
    edited June 2010
    Interesting...

They never state in the main Champions 4th edition source book. In the "mirror universe" supplement for 4th edition it states that the... can't remember his exact name, but the Defender of that universe created him to watch over their HQ. That Mechanon rebels and starts a Resistance Movement.

If it is a true "mirror universe", then (at least for 4th edition) Defender created him. The theories as to why Mechanon in both cases rebels are vast. Some theories say the original AI developed for him was "flawed". Some theories involve Dr. Destroyer corrupting the AI.

My favorite involves a character. man I really need to start writing names down. He is a "prankster" with trans-dimensional powers. The theory states that both Mechanon were swapped from their respective universes by this "prankster".

Of course that was 4th Edition. How they will change Mechanon for 6th Edition may very well depend on how he is depicted in game.
    edited June 2010
    Shigeru wrote:
    Mechanon is a riff on Marvel's Ultron, who was built by Hank Pym (ant man, giant man, etc). Same irrational hatren for human beings (i.e. organics) and a primary nemesis for the supergroup that created him. Pretty cool comics trope, IMO.

It's fairly safe to blame Mechanon on the Champions Universe's Hank Pym equivalent.

Or just Hank Pym himself.
    edited June 2010
    The 5E article on Mechanon lists several theories about his origin, and states that the truth is not known.

One theory is that it spontaneously evolved from the internet and built itself. Imagine, if you will, a sentience developing its opinion on the worthiness of the human race to survive from what it sees on the internet. :rolleyes:
    edited June 2010
    As someone mentioned, there's a lot of speculation in the Champions Universe about who created Mechanon -- no one in the Champions Universe actually knows.

However, the actual truth has been revealed in print. You can find it in our supplement The Book Of The Machine, which is a thorough look at All Things Mechanon; it will also be a part of Mechanon's entry in the first volume of the forthcoming Champions Villains trilogy. ;)
    edited June 2010
    And can you give an image as well of his creator? :confused:
    There are no pictures of Dr. H, or Dr. P :)

Book of the Machine and Book of the Destroyer (both written alongside the MMO I believe?) were great reads, as they incorporated stuff I was seeing in the game too. Really brought home some of the familiar places.
    edited June 2010
    Book of the Machine and Book of the Destroyer (both written alongside the MMO I believe?) were great reads, as they incorporated stuff I was seeing in the game too. Really brought home some of the familiar places.

Both books were written after we sold the Champions IP to Cryptic, so yes, they were written with Cryptic's input and subject to Cryptic's approval. For example, BotD includes Shadow Destroyer (a character created by Cryptic, to which I added details [like a map of his base] to flesh him out for the PnP RPG), and BotM debuts Mechanon's new, Cryptic-created look for everyone's favorite evil robot. ;)
    edited June 2010
    Hrmm, if I were to be silly and ask silly questions, is Mechanon the type of machine that belives bigger is better and pretty much some Atlas sized robot? Cause I know I would love an epic zone class raid type critter to face in the future :)
    edited June 2010
    Silverspar wrote:
    Hrmm, if I were to be silly and ask silly questions, is Mechanon the type of machine that belives bigger is better and pretty much some Atlas sized robot? Cause I know I would love an epic zone class raid type critter to face in the future :)

That would be so hardcore - a proper raid where multiple teams need to branch of to do different tasks at the same time to win.
    edited June 2010
    That's actually my motto, BIGGER = Better... Thus Keeper was born. ;)
    edited June 2010
    CHAPTER TWO: An Enemy of a Thousand Forms
    Other Mechanon Forms......................... 64
    Micro-Mechanon (Mechanon Mark XXXIII).... 64
    Mega-Mechanon (Mechanon Mark XXXIV)... 66
    Sphere Mechanon (Mechanon Mark XXXVI). 68

!!!
    edited June 2010
    Shigeru wrote:

You are correct, sir ;)

I knew that back the first time I did a movethrough on Mechanon through a vault door and took him out in one shot. Champions has a lot of tribute characters such as FIrewing (Dark Phoenix), Mechanon (Ultron), Fox (no, not Foxbat, the homage character to every stupid DC villain ever created that hit heroes with pickles or made a hero think he was a wombat), Crusader (Cap), and so on...

Mechanon as a sentient city for a raid like the machine city in the Matrix would ROCK!!!!
    edited June 2010
    An entire Mechanon city would certainly be interesting. ;)

In The Book Of The Machine, we do have mapped out an orbital base for Mechanon which is essentially one of his forms. So when you're in it you're, in a sense, walking around inside him -- which I suppose is something like Mechanon City, but on a smaller scale.
    edited June 2010
    That would present an awesome type of "classic" platformer style epic boss battle, where boss enemies were several screens tall and you had to beat several parts before attacking the final bit.
    edited June 2010
    HeroSteve wrote:

In The Book Of The Machine, we do have mapped out an orbital base for Mechanon which is essentially one of his forms. So when you're in it you're, in a sense, walking around inside him -- which I suppose is something like Mechanon City, but on a smaller scale.

So sort of like what he does in the future setting for Champions? Where he's his own starship?

EDIT: sorry, I meant frickin' HUGE starship.
    edited June 2010
    So sort of like what he does in the future setting for Champions? Where he's his own starship?

EDIT: sorry, I meant frickin' HUGE starship.

Where "frickin' HUGE" is defined as "the size of the Moon".
    edited June 2010
    Worldmaker wrote:
    Where "frickin' HUGE" is defined as "the size of the Moon".

So if Mechon... is the size of Unicron from transformers... Oh... sweet!

Plus with the tons of new robot parts... its ROBOCHIRSTMAS ALL OVER AGAIN! :D:D:D:D
    edited June 2010
    So if Mechon... is the size of Unicron from transformers... Oh... sweet!

The write-up for Moon-Sized Mechanon in Galactic Champions is indeed truly epic.
    edited June 2010
    HeroSteve wrote:

That's an even better idea, bravo!
    Cryptic Needs to build that.