test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where in the World is Carmel Santiago? Win a free month of playtime!

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
Have you seen this person? If so, there's a reward!
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5025/carmelsantiago.jpg

Yes, that's right, after a long hiatus the greatest contest in the world® is making its triumphant return! Not only that, but I'm thrilled to be able to offer as first prize for our inaugural contest of this "season," a game card for 30 days of free game time! Interested? Read on to learn more.
The Backstory...
'twas the week following Christmas, and the city was bitter, "I've stolen the socks!" she declared with a snicker... Carmel Santiago, the world's most notorious thief, had stolen Mr.Funsocks' socks, which had been generously donated by other heroes in the holiday spirit. Thankfully, through the hard work of team Failing Upward (DarkKindness, _Zer0_, and Melkathi), the socks were recovered, and Carmel stopped. And very little was heard from her for many months...

Until now. Carmel's most potent enemy, the mighty lumberjack... thing, THOG, who was responsible for foiling 5 of her last 6 heists, has gone missing! And by all accounts, it's Carmel who's kidnapped... him... it... whatever. Heroes, you must help save the mighty THOG from her clutches! Seeing an opportunity in the chaos surrounding the impending apocalypse in Vibora Bay, she has absconded there with THOG in (reluctant) tow. We have some leads, but we'll need your help!
The Game...
Saturday the 17th, at 6 PM Server Time (7 PM PST), anyone wishing to play the game will meet in Vibora Bay, on the deck of the Bayou Queen. Any time before the event starts, you must enter by sending an in-game email to me (@Mr.Funsocks) containing a Conjurer's Inscription. It's a basic mysticism crafting material, available at any mysticism trainer, that costs 1g, 0n, 55l to purchase, and sells for the same. This will be your entry fee. All entry fees will be added to the pot of possible prize money (AKA I'm not earning any resources off of this). Make sure you join the CarmelSantiago channel (Right click on chat tab>>Channels>>Type CarmelSantiago in the box>>Click Join). Any and all information will be posted there, and if you have any questions they can be answered. In fact, feel free to join it now, so you don't forget, or if you have questions ahead of the contest.

When everyone is ready, you will be given the first clue in the CarmelSantiago channel. The clue may be a riddle, it may be directions to a specific spot on the world map, it may be a reference to something historical/about the lore of the game, it may even be coordinates. There may be multiple clues as well, as Carmel may have left the location of the original clue, and you may have to continue chasing her. With this clue there will also be an instance number, make sure you remember this, you cannot PM or ask to get the clue again in the channel. The instance number will tell you which instance of whatever map the next clue is located in. (Note: Not applicable for this week's contest, as all clues are in Vibora Bay, you won't have to switch instances)

As soon as you're given the clue, you're off. First person to find her and open a trade window with Carmel Santiago wins the prize. If after a reasonable time (more than 1 hour) 3 people have not yet found her, the contest will be called for that week, and any remaining money added to next week's pot. When the contest ends, it will be announced (along with the winners) in the CarmelSantiago channel. Afterwords, we'll also have a Dance Party somewhere if you wanna come hang out ;)
The prizes:
Note: The resources here are the minimum, the amount will increase from any donations and from the entry fees of all contestants.

First Place: A Game Card worth 1 month of free game time! and 50g resources

Second Place: Choice of 4 common (or 2 uncommon) Action Figures from the vault, and 35g resources

Third Place: Choice of 2 common (or 1 uncommon) Action Figures from the vault and 15g resources

Rules

1. No excuses. First person to open a trade with Carmel Santiago wins the prize. This is a game of speed, knowledge, AND luck. Instance full? You were too slow, sorry. Lagged out? Unfortunate. Tripped and fell in the lava trying to find her? Be more careful. Aggroed a mob? You'd best deal with that.

2. Flying may be required. Carmel Santiago is quite an agile and crafty person. She may get into places that you cannot reach by mere jumping or climbing. Come prepared, it would be highly unfortunate to be the first one there, only too see her 10 feet out of reach of you, while someone else steals your prize. If flying is NOT required for the week's contest, it will be mentioned.

3. Level (and completion of the Vibora Bay Apocalypse) will be required this week. The entirety of this week's contest is in Vibora Bay. Meaning if you aren't high enough level to get to Vibora Bay, you can't play this week. If you haven't completed the Vibora Bay Apocalypse, you cannot play this week. Your character that you will be using for the contest must have completed the Apocalypse before the game begins.

4. You may work as a team, but only 1 can win. If you want to work with a friend and share the prize, you're more than welcome, but the prize will go to the one who opens the trade first. If you plan on splitting that with someone after, that's your business.

5. Your account name/global handle is your entry. No, you can't "send someone else" to find her for you. You CAN use a different character. However, only the account that we write down when given the entry fee can claim the reward. If your friend finds her first, but didn't enter, you better motor your way there as fast as you can, because he can't claim the prize, and someone else can beat you there.

6. Use whatever resources you like. The Wiki, the old PnP sourcebooks, recruit your entire SG to go through Millennium City inch by inch, use multiple characters, whatever you can think of.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    And your winners are....

With the gold medal... Strontium@goodbyeclock

With the silver medal... Paradigm Shift@Viciouspen

With the bronze medal... Nobody!

Yes, nobody managed to win third. Our first place winner got off to a rocky start, but then surged into the lead when he stumbled across THOG stuck up in a tree. While Lillith Hellion DID make it into the right area for the final clue, she couldn't find my secret little hidey hole I picked out :)

The clue list (highlight the hints and the location for spoilers):

1. Location: Balcony of Trismegistus Council building (1543 133 2760)
    Clue: Witnesses report that they heard THOG say something as he fled capture, perhaps hint about where he was seeking help? “MY BUDDY HAS A FIRST NAME, IT'S T-H-E-M-O-I-S-T-A-C-L-S-E-Q-V-P.”
    Clue 1, Hint 1: Another witness has come forward, saying that THOG continued his rhyme: "MY BUDDY HAS A SECOND NAME, IT'S V-E-M-E-D-I-K-T-O-E-S-I-E-S."
    Clue 1, Hint 2: Who would ever guess the likes of THOG would be a friend of the {Trismegistus Council}?

2. Location: Balcony next to Mahogany Club (3795 -9 557)
    Clue: Well, Theomistekles here says that THOG made it here, but Carmel's goons dragged him off. One of them muttered something about "hoping these {vamps} will house this unruly lumberjack. They fancy themselves as "gentlemen" in their little {club} I hear."
    Clue 2, Hint 1: Theomistekles overheard them saying something about "These vampires have been here since {1881}? They really are old farts..."
    Clue 2, Hint 2: This league of very unusual gentlemen has a presence in Vibora Bay as aged as {mahogany}.

3. Location: Marcello Bocchieri's courtyard balcony (4270 46 749)
    Clue: They literally got thrown out of there by the vamps. One of them yelled after "We have standards! You're as bad as that traitor to his own kind, Bocchieri"
    Clue 3, Hint 1: Bocchieri's courtyard is like something out of another era, nestled in this block of {Inner Easton}.
    Clue 3, Hint 2: A prime location, across the street from the amphitheater, as well as the entrance to crypt network...

4. Location: Weston Shore Fish Market (behind the counter, kneeling) (194 -48 571)
    Clue: When they weren't looking, THOG broke free and ran off down the street yelling "CARMEL MEAN, NOT GIVE THOG LUNCH. THOG KNOW, WS HAS BEST LOBSTER IN TOWN!"
    Clue 4, Hint 1: {Weston Shore} may seem like an odd place for a {fish market}, being so far from the docks, but they do good business there.
    Clue 4, Hint 2: Maybe with the train so close, THOG will do the smart thing and get out of Vibora?

5. Location: Center of the maze (1313 30 1925)
    Clue: When I got here, he was finishing up what appears to be his seventh whole salmon, just as Carmel showed up again. He just took off running, muttering something about "DANCE WITH DA GOBLIN KING!"
    Clue 5, Hint 1: UH OH, HOPE THOG DOESN'T GET {LOST}!
    Clue 5, Hint 2: We think THOG is lost somewhere near the center of the labyrinth.

6. Location: Tree outside Dogz mansion (4383 66 1379)
    Clue: {Sigh} It looks like I got here too late, THOG was already long gone. And... well now I can't find my way out. Anyway, we've had some reports from citizens in the area that they've heard shouting echoing through {Inner Easton}, and it's no doubt THOG. He's apparently saying "I FEEL LIKE CAT UP A TREE HERE!"
    Clue 6, Hint 1: Someone heard him yell "HAHA, PUNY DOGZ CAN'T REACH MEEEE!"
    Clue 6, Hint 2: Now he's apparently blathering something about the big white mansion being pretty...

7. Location: Juryrig’s Workshop, in the little nook in the crates (71 -60 247)
    Clue: CARMEL NOT REACH THOG UP HERE. CARMEL FINALLY GIVE UP. SAY SHE TRY AGAIN, TIME-TRAVELING DOCTOR NOT STOP HER!
    Clue 7, Hint 1: THOG THINK CARMEL HAVE BETTER LUCK WITH 1.21 JIGGAWATTS!
    Clue 7, Hint 2: THOG THINK BLUE BOX WRONG SIZE TO HELP CARMEL MUCH.
    edited April 2010
    As always I am impressed by your dedication to this game and this community. Good show sir. Good show.
    edited April 2010
    I ll try to be there.
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure I can help on this night socks. I have a party to go to at 6pm CST that should take me past the start time. I'll hit you up in game. If I can help I certainly will.
    edited April 2010
    Mr Funsocks , I cant seem to see the image you posted, says error for me.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks again Mr Funsocks. Before someone complains that as a LTS, a free month is useless, try giving it as a gift to a non subscriber, (the game sells for £2.99 from play.com in the UK), or to get someone who quit before the recent improvements hooked again.
    edited April 2010
    Cute.

What does a Lifetime subscriber win as first prize? Obviously a gamecard would be worthless.
    edited April 2010
    Cervando wrote:
    Thanks again Mr Funsocks. Before someone complains that as a LTS, a free month is useless, try giving it as a gift to a non subscriber, (the game sells for £2.99 from play.com in the UK), or to get someone who quit before the recent improvements hooked again.
    Freeport wrote:
    Cute.

What does a Lifetime subscriber win as first prize? Obviously a gamecard would be worthless.

Told you so ;p
    edited April 2010
    Need to get Rockapella to write a theme song for this...

:D
    edited April 2010
    Cervando wrote:

Told you so ;p

Hahahah, that was priceless.
    edited April 2010
    Hehe, yes, I figured someone would bring it up ;) Yeah, you can give the game card to a friend or family member. I always also offer the option of choosing a lower prize if you do win, ie if you'd rather you can take the 4 action figures and 50g if you win first, and let 2nd place take the free month at 35g. I considered offering an alternate, but I'd much rather keep my other prizes for first place a secret 'till I offer 'em :)
    edited April 2010
    LemonLass wrote:
    Mr Funsocks , I cant seem to see the image you posted, says error for me.

Type 'Carmen Sandiego' into Google Images. Look for a person in the game who looks like that.

Which character will you be bringing, LemonLass?
    edited April 2010
    I won't be able to play until the next time, I dont have enough cash for my video card and operating system until later april. So I will miss this contest. I just wanted to see the carmen sandiego clone image (i can see it now thanks)
    edited April 2010
    Touche Mr. Funsocks, touche. :)
    edited April 2010
    /flex
    You just lost the game.
    edited April 2010
    This looks fun! Not high enough level though so good luck to all who chase.

Definitely makes me want to create a Patty Larceny character lol

Makes me regret not coming back to the game sooner (since I loved these types of events in COH)
    edited April 2010
    Well, you can participate in the next one (probably the next weekend sometime). I may include Monster Island and Lemuria, I may not, we shall see...
    edited April 2010
    Don't change for me! I like seeing player driven events. It's what kept COH hopping for as long as it did.

My playtimes are erratic so meh. I pay attention to zone chat and see things like CC in 10 min here and fly that way to check out people's costumes.

Maybe my "ooooo shiny object" has prevented my leveling...
    edited April 2010
    Oh, no, I like to move it around a bit to get as many people from different timezones as possible. Sometimes I go with 2 PM server time, as it's easier for some parts of Europe and Asia/Aus, and still in a decent time for the US. Next one will probably be later, and on a Friday is my guess.
    edited April 2010
    Cervando wrote:

Told you so ;p

This isn't being advertised as a walk for charity.

A competition implies legitimate incentive for all participants.
    edited April 2010
    Freeport wrote:
    This isn't being advertised as a walk for charity.

You will win the internet, happy now?

Next time, read the post preceding your first one, so as to avoid looking silly AND the OPs response to your first post for the same reason. Unless you like looking foolish and mean spirited. Maybe you should change your name to Freeloader, it seems more fitting. ;)
    edited April 2010
    Freeport wrote:

You can't ignore the value of a time code, even for an LTS. You could use it to run a contest of your own, for example. Or give it to one of your resource rich friends in exchange for a donation.

Also, it would help your case if you put the green title on (I'm a devslayer, what's your excuse ;) ).
    edited April 2010
    Cervando wrote:

Just to add: Giving it to a friend who is an active subscriber is also a good idea. 50g also sounds like a good prize reward if a LTS did win.
    edited April 2010
    If we have our usual participation, the reward'll be closer to 60g (20 players, 1g a player, divided by 2). And if we break 50, I'll throw one of my other 1st place rewards into the pot, and have two first place quality rewards, one for first and one for second, and yet ya choose.
    edited April 2010
    Good job on the event Mr.Funsocks. Cryptic needs to have an event GM for stuff like this. Give back to the players
    edited April 2010
    Man, THOG always beats me to the goalpost on these things.
    edited April 2010
    Well, this time THOG *is* the goalpost ;)
    edited April 2010
    Cervando wrote:
    You will win the internet, happy now?

Next time, read the post preceding your first one, so as to avoid looking silly AND the OPs response to your first post for the same reason. Unless you like looking foolish and mean spirited. Maybe you should change your name to Freeloader, it seems more fitting. ;)

Wow someone's a bit testy. Maybe you'd be more happy if people just never disagreed with you at all? If you're going to insult someone on the basis that they have a different opinion then maybe you shouldn't be spending so much time on forums.

Following it up with name calling is even more disappointing.
    edited April 2010

He did it again, and the thing hasn't even started yet!
    edited April 2010
    Freeport wrote:
    Wow someone's a bit testy. Maybe you'd be more happy if people just never disagreed with you at all? If you're going to insult someone on the basis that they have a different opinion then maybe you shouldn't be spending so much time on forums.

Following it up with name calling is even more disappointing.

Wow, someone is a bit sensitive. It's not a question of agreement, you simply didn't read the proceeding post to your first one OR the answer from the OP. That is why several people found it amusing. If you are going to post without reading threads, maybe YOU shouldn't be spending so much time on forums.

Sorry to de-rail, Mr. Funsocks, back on topic and hopefully I will be around to compete, even though I am usually hopeless ;)

edited April 2010
    Carmel is on stage, go tip her a dollar.
    edited April 2010
    Ahem. Anyway.

A picture of THOG, just so everyone can get the visual:

http://img291.imageshack.us/i/donttalkbacktoyourmama.jpg/

The time draws near! Make sure you're through the Vibora Bay Apocalypse by Saturday!
    edited April 2010

THOG SAY, THAT WHAT SHE SAID!

These events are always a blast, fun opportunities to dig into the Champions backstory and some trivia in a new way. I always look forward to them!

~THOG
    edited April 2010
    Sounds like fun..I always wanted to take part in this back when the game was first announced..but every time the game started I was at work. Luckily I have Saturday off..so I will plan to take part in it. :D
    edited April 2010
    I'll see y'all there! Bring your friends, if I get 50 players, I'm going to add a 2nd "1st place" quality reward, so both 1st and second will get something special.
    edited April 2010
    One final bump before we begin! 30 minutes 'till start, log on and join the channel if you want to play!
    edited April 2010
    Good luck everyone.
    Too tired myself :(

Looking forward to hearing about it next time I am on :)
    edited April 2010
    'twas fun! Winners and cluelist posted in the 2nd post.
    edited April 2010
    As luck would have it, my subscription ran out today... so I couldn't go to Vibora Bay to enter the contest which would possibly allow me to win one more month of play time :p

Congratulations to the winners!
    edited April 2010
    I'd be smiling my head off right now, but I had a root canal 4 hours ago and can't feel most of my face. This helped to ease the pain, heh.

Thog was actually the first clue I'd found, after doing basically 4 circles of the map (two of which were in the wrong zone) I was in the middle of flying back to the jet for a restart of the entire search. I saw him stuck in a tree. Got clue 7. Found that rouge-hatted damsel after flying through Juryrig's garage for about 10 minutes.

Either way, it was a good game. Maybe karma's giving me a pat on the back ahead of time for all the pain I'll probably have tomorrow.
    edited April 2010
    I am a sore loser.

I still think Juryrig’s Workshop is a different zone than Vibora Bay.

Oh well, it wouldn't be the same if I won it anyway!
    edited April 2010
    I found stuff.

I actualy ran through all the clues in order.

First gave me trouble until I got the first hint, then the second I knew exactly where it was.
    Second I knew right off the bat but it was finding the exact spot the clue giver was stashed that took awhile.
    Third I had to check out Windsong first, but after I didnt' find anybody there I flew straight to the fish market.

I knew where all the other where right off the bat, it was just finding the exact spot that took awhile.

I'm glad Strontium won first though honestly, cause I really only wanted the cash and AF since I have a lifetime account and if I had won first I'd have had to give it to somebody else anyways lol I didn't realize at the time we could pass on the prize so if I had won I was just going to keep quite on the whole winning a time card when I have a lifetime account :p lol I swear I'd have attempted to donate it to a good cause though......prolly.....
    And with them starting out in the wrong zone at the beginning of the contest it made it more fun in the end.

*bathes in contest money while the Gnasher AF looks on*
    edited April 2010
    I am a sore loser.

I still think Juryrig’s Workshop is a different zone than Vibora Bay.

Oh well, it wouldn't be the same if I won it anyway!

Still part of VB.
  • thewinxfairythewinxfairy Posts: 70 Arc User
    Sorry for the necro bump, but this is a great concept.