test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't grasp Hero System

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
I picked up the PDF for both the Hero System core books and I have read through them. When I got done, I had no clue what to do. I tried to make a character and it is reallly overwelming. I have played various rpgs and I have a hard time grasping this one. I currently run Mutants and Masterminds for all my superhero needs. So I kind of understand how powers and effect are built. I really wanted to like the Hero System but I find it hard to like something I don't get.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    All powers have a basic effect. DIce of damage, points of defense, whatever.

You then apply modifiers to that basic cost.

If you want your energy blast to affect an area it increases teh cost.

In most games teh GM is expected to set a maximum power level, generally based on the active points in the power. So one has to decide whether to purchase more dice of energy blast, or to expand the capabilities of fewer dice through advantages, such as area effect.

Limitations on powers change how many points you actually pay for a power but dont affect the active points. Your energy blast with area effect has all of its active points even if you have taken a real cost reducing limitation that you can only use it while wielding your magic staff.

The difference between active and real point costs has been the single most common question I have had new players ask me over teh years so I hope that this helps.

If you provide more specific examples of your points of confusion I would be delighted to help.
    edited March 2010
    Hm. If you play Mutants and Masterminds, the Hero system shouldn't be that foreign; the problem may be that there isn't really a 'hero system for new players', you just get hit over the head with 750 pages of rules. So, expressing things in terms of Mutants and Masterminds:
    • Combat: your OCV is your M&M Offense. Your DCV is your M&M Defense. To make an attack roll, you have to roll 11 + (your OCV) - (target DCV), or lower, on 3d6. This way of expressing hit chances is historical artifact; you can achieve the same effects with 'roll 3d6+OCV; if the result is DCV+10 or better you hit'.
    • Skills: think of all skills in Hero as being Trained Only. To succeed at a skill, you must roll (skill) or lower on 3d6.
    • Levels: a level is a floating bonus (to OCV, DCV, or skills). A character with multiple levels functions similarly to a character with tradeoff feats in M&M.
    • Powers: a lot of powers have basically the same structure as M&M: a certain cost per rank, and you buy multiple ranks. Unlike M&M, some powers don't have ranks. Hero system advantages are M&M extras, Hero system limitations are M&M flaws, Hero system adders are M&M power feats. The cost system in Hero is somewhat more complex than M&M: powers cost (base) * (rank) * (1+advantages) / (1 + limitations), whereas in M&M this would be (base+extras-limitations)*(rank).
    • Damage: roll the indicated number of damage dice. Subtract the target's defenses. That's the amount of stun you do. Hero basically has nothing equivalent to M&M saves.

It looks like the Hero System Basic Rulebook is a 'lite' version of Hero; I've never actually seen the book, though.
    edited March 2010
    Ashen_X wrote:
    All powers have a basic effect. DIce of damage, points of defense, whatever.

You then apply modifiers to that basic cost.

If you want your energy blast to affect an area it increases teh cost.

In most games teh GM is expected to set a maximum power level, generally based on the active points in the power. So one has to decide whether to purchase more dice of energy blast, or to expand the capabilities of fewer dice through advantages, such as area effect.

Limitations on powers change how many points you actually pay for a power but dont affect the active points. Your energy blast with area effect has all of its active points even if you have taken a real cost reducing limitation that you can only use it while wielding your magic staff.

The difference between active and real point costs has been the single most common question I have had new players ask me over teh years so I hope that this helps.

If you provide more specific examples of your points of confusion I would be delighted to help.

I was trying to stat up my Mutants and Masterminds hero (a Superman inspired hero) for the Hero System and I don't know what the what is good and what is bad in the system. I don't have a clue of what values I should use for Endurance, what my Strength should be, What should my DCV should be, ect.. I even asked on the board what Superman would look like in the Hero System and all I got was the game master chooses the power cap and that would determine what is a good score and what is not a good score for that campaign.

It just seems so overly complicated but that maybe because I am use to MnM.
    edited March 2010
    I was trying to stat up my Mutants and Masterminds hero (a Superman inspired hero) for the Hero System and I don't know what the what is good and what is bad in the system. I don't have a clue of what values I should use for Endurance, what my Strength should be, What should my DCV should be, ect..
    These are somewhat a function of world design (i.e. the GM sets what is exceptional), but some points to be aware of:

1) A 'standard' Hero game has attacks at 8-12 DC, and is roughly equivalent to a 'standard' M&M game that tends to have attacks doing +8 to +12. You won't get perfectly playable characters by directly converting (very different damage mechanics), but they're roughly equivalent.
    2) Str scaling (for lift purposes) in Hero is actually identical to M&M, so you can just convert straight across (i.e. a brick in M&M with Str 34, Super-Str 5, has an effective Str of 59 for lifting purposes, which we can round to 60). Note that 60 str == 12 DC, though not all examples will work as conveniently.
    3) Endurance and Recovery should be whatever you need to be able to use your powers comfortably. This takes some practice to estimate, but a typical fight probably lasts 5-10 phases, so you should have enough endurance to last that long.
    4) How much CV you want depends on how the GM sets world benchmarks, but 1 point of CV difference is about as significant as 2 points of skill difference in M&M.
    edited March 2010
    -The 5th edition book does a much better job of walking you through the different points of character creation than 6th edition. Honestly, i'd go pick up a copy of 5th and read through it. Much more user-friendly from my experience.

You can also grab a character sheet, an "Intro to the Hero System" (about two-thirds of the way down the page) and a two-page combat summary here for free: http://www.herogames.com/freeStuff.htm

Good journey.

Rattletrap
    edited March 2010
    Rattletrap wrote:
    -The 5th edition book does a much better job of walking you through the different points of character creation than 6th edition.
    6E must be bad if people are telling newbs to check-out 5E for clarification. Heck, when 5E came out we were telling people to buy old copies of 4E to clarify 5E for them. :)
    edited March 2010
    I picked up the PDF for both the Hero System core books and I have read through them. When I got done, I had no clue what to do. I tried to make a character and it is reallly overwelming. I have played various rpgs and I have a hard time grasping this one. I currently run Mutants and Masterminds for all my superhero needs. So I kind of understand how powers and effect are built. I really wanted to like the Hero System but I find it hard to like something I don't get.

The Hero System was created by a math genius, one day, when he was bored in math class.
    It really takes a player that has made a character to sit down with ya and help ya make your first character.
    Then the sublime, mathematical beauty of the Hero System manifests itself in this simple concept: with enough points you can recreate/create a likeness of any fictional character ever imagined from Dr. Who, James Bond, Superman, Mu'ad Dib, Dark Pheonix, Akira, Bruce Lee, Patton, Perseus, Hercules, Neo, The Road Warrior, Ang, Spider-man, Batman or Robocop , the Predator, The Terminator...you get my point I think.
    edited March 2010
    Cosmic_One wrote:
    6E must be bad if people are telling newbs to check-out 5E for clarification. Heck, when 5E came out we were telling people to buy old copies of 4E to clarify 5E for them. :)
    If 4e were remotely available, I'd still recommend it ;). Steve Long has a tendency to write a paragraph where a sentence would be adequate; sure, the paragraph is a bit more precise, but it turns the system into a massive lump that cannot be easily digested.
    edited March 2010
    Pantagruel wrote:
    If 4e were remotely available, I'd still recommend it ;). Steve Long has a tendency to write a paragraph where a sentence would be adequate; sure, the paragraph is a bit more precise, but it turns the system into a massive lump that cannot be easily digested.
    People can find copies of 4E Champions on eBay quite often, for a very reasonable price. And yes, Steve's name in the industry has been Steve "Writes" Long for years.
    edited March 2010
    -5th Edition should be a bit easier to grab but i have seen 4th books floating around quite a few places. 4th may be a bit far removed if this person plays with others that want to use or plan on using 6th.

And i love the "Writes" nickname. Good stuff.

If you have any other questions either post here or create new topics. Happy to help where we can.

Rattletrap
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone actually looked at the hero system basic rulebook?
    edited March 2010
    Cosmic_One wrote:
    Heh, W.U.R.D...
    I remember doing that :cool:

Honestly, it's actually kinda funny when you think about it.
    People who were playing a "Role Playing Game" (a game centered on IMAGINATION),
    were having problems getting around the MATH behind the game to come up with a concept to "fit the math".

Maybe it was because in it's day Champions was one of the first to do away with "pre-designed" concepts of powers and let the player deal with that.

The beauty of Champions was you could:
    Player 1: "I want to come up with a 'Fireball-Lightning bolt-Ice Blast' of doom!"
    Player 1: "Something that hits everybody and lays waste to them all!"
    GM: "Sure Billy, just make sure it's under 60 active points..."

To this day it remains one of my favorite RPG's of all time.
    (It was also the main reason i payed for a LTS up front sight unseen, as i didn't get into closed beta)

It's also the main reason i'm a cranky fussbudget about CO's current incarnation/power structure.
    I was expecting something more like the PnP (4th ED.) ver.

Oh well...
    edited April 2010
    So, I just found all my versions of Champions, and I thought I'd do a comparison:
    4th edition: 215 pages rules, 59 pages on running a campaign, 70 pages world background. Basically 274 pages rules.
    5th edition: 360 pages rules (includes campaign stuff above), or about 1/3 more.
    5th edition revised: 592, apparently (I don't have a copy)
    6th edition: 448 pages character creation, 308 pages combat and adventuring (756 pages total). Roughly equivalent to 5th in what it covers.
    edited April 2010
    I've only played HERO system games a few times. Maybe twice... three times. I find it to be a little too math intensive. It's very in depth and it's very customizable, don't get me wrong, but I've never really felt it was for me.

For my superhero stuff, I just run Mutants and Masterminds myself. Nice to see a fellow MnM player, by the way.
    edited April 2010
    Then ask Steve to publish the next rulebook with a carrying handle.

*ba-dump-ch!*

On a more serious note, I am curious about the rules and accessibility, too. I'm being cautious about investment into the books.
    edited April 2010
    Brou wrote:
    On a more serious note, I am curious about the rules and accessibility, too. I'm being cautious about investment into the books.
    It's hard to say how accessible the current game is; I was first introduced to the game in 1989 by some people who already knew the system well, so I don't have any issues understanding anything with the new rules, but it's hard to put myself in the feet of someone who doesn't know the system. It's always been a system that's easier to learn from other players than learn from the book.
    edited April 2010
    Pantagruel wrote:
    It's hard to say how accessible the current game is; I was first introduced to the game in 1989 by some people who already knew the system well, so I don't have any issues understanding anything with the new rules, but it's hard to put myself in the feet of someone who doesn't know the system. It's always been a system that's easier to learn from other players than learn from the book.

I'd have to agree with this, as new players in games I've run and played in over the last while have depended on experienced players to write their characters for them. One player in a game I run has played for about two years and still does not have a clue how the system works.

I remember on some forum somewhere where "concerned" parents were running pnp rpg's down as a "waste of time." Once defender cited Champions as an example of an rpg that not only stimulated creativity but required junior to learn more math than any other pastime he was likely to engage in. ;)
    edited April 2010
    Scarlyng wrote:
    I remember on some forum somewhere where "concerned" parents were running pnp rpg's down as a "waste of time." Once defender cited Champions as an example of an rpg that not only stimulated creativity but required junior to learn more math than any other pastime he was likely to engage in. ;)
    Eh, Champions requires 5th grade math (division by fractions); it's just very calculation intensive. Vehicle design subsystems in several game systems require the ability to handle fractional exponents and sometimes natural logarithms, which is more like 8th grade math, and I think I've seen some that involved some simple trigonometry. I've yet to see an RPG product that involved math that would be remotely challenging in a spreadsheet, however.
    edited April 2010
    I'd advise taking a look at the 6th ed Champions book. It does a really good job in the 'gallery' of making character creation a shopping list exercise for new players. You can pick up a template pre-made character, tweak it with the listed options or shop around for all the premade powers you like.

I think the OP may be in deep because he's attempting to convert a character .. this is an exercise that's tough for any game to game conversion. Have gander at Champions 6th and check in the back, you can piece together a close approximation of your character. Pay for a bit so the system gets comfortable and then tune the character later.
    edited April 2010
    Scarlyng wrote:
    I'd have to agree with this, as new players in games I've run and played in over the last while have depended on experienced players to write their characters for them. One player in a game I run has played for about two years and still does not have a clue how the system works.

I have to confess I am a gross offender of writing peoples characters for them and the fact that those same people just can't seem to be bothered to actually learn how the game works. There was even a case where I was accused of being grossly OPed compared with everyone else and the accusers even confronted the GM about it. The GM then defended me while dissing the idiots by stating the only reason WHY I "seemed" to be more powerful was because I was *gasp* using the game mechanics to my advantage and they could be just as powerful if they were willing to learn how the damn system worked instead of relying on the experienced players telling them how many dice to roll and for what. :rolleyes:

Still boggles me to this day that math I learned in grade school confounds so many. I mean how hard is it to add X to Y and then divide by Z? The mere mention of math to some causes their eyes to glaze over and for them to start drooling.

Oh sorry......./rant off :D

Its a real shame there aren't more knowledgeable people like those who have posted in this thread that live in my area. :(

and for the record......I am pretty entrenched in the BBB (aka 4th ed). I bought the 5th and have used bits and pieces but by and large I found the 4th ed to be the best at covering all you need. Haven't even cracked open a 6th ed book because I see no reason to buy it.
    edited April 2010
    Moonglo wrote:
    ...Its a real shame there aren't more knowledgeable like those who have posted in this thread that live in my area. :( ...
    Utah?
    "Where is this Oo-tah you speak of?" :D
    edited April 2010
    Utah?
    "Where is this Oo-tah you speak of?" :D

Its that wasteland between Colorado and Nevada :rolleyes:

and sadly yes, its also a gaming desert. :p
    edited April 2010
    I found the main HERO system book had to slog through, myself. In particular, there's an intimidating number of powers.

My advice: grab a sourcebook with a bunch of character writeups. Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks is my favorite, but anywhere where you can see some characters actually built--most of the Champions sourcebooks have a few character writeups in them. In fact, most of the characters have a stat block, a plain English writeup of what their powers do, and some notes on their tactics (for the smart NPCs, this will clue you in on how to use their powers effectively).

Use the premade characters to learn the system, and then use them as templates to modify when creating your own characters. Don't try to create a character from scratch unless there's a HERO system veteran in the room. :)
    edited April 2010
    Lucid wrote:
    I found the main HERO system book had to slog through, myself. In particular, there's an intimidating number of powers.

My advice: grab a sourcebook with a bunch of character writeups. Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks is my favorite, but anywhere where you can see some characters actually built--most of the Champions sourcebooks have a few character writeups in them. In fact, most of the characters have a stat block, a plain English writeup of what their powers do, and some notes on their tactics (for the smart NPCs, this will clue you in on how to use their powers effectively).

Use the premade characters to learn the system, and then use them as templates to modify when creating your own characters. Don't try to create a character from scratch unless there's a HERO system veteran in the room. :)

Excellent advice!

I was lucky enough to learn the game from Glenn Thain at a convetion when Champions was first released, so I learned from a vet right out of the gate...

But none of my RP group ever had the Champions book and no one even tried to make a character without me there to crunch the numbers. They loved the game, as long as I was the one running it so they didn't have to deal with the math...

But once you get it down, the game is an amazing amount of fun! I used to spend hours just making different characters....

Now I do that in CO!
    edited April 2010
    I'd suggest picking up the book Hero System: Sidekick. It is about 1/4 the size of the core rulebook, but really simplifies character creation. I GM'ed a campaign and my players found that book much more user friendly than the core book. Also, there's the Unity: Powers Database book that has hundres of pages of sorted premade powers for you to choose from.
    edited April 2010
    spydersman wrote:
    I'd suggest picking up the book Hero System: Sidekick. It is about 1/4 the size of the core rulebook, but really simplifies character creation.
    It's also a 5th edition product.
    edited April 2010
    Pantagruel wrote:
    It's also a 5th edition product.
    There is a 6E version as well, though it's not called Sidekick.
    edited April 2010
    Cosmic_One wrote:
    There is a 6E version as well, though it's not called Sidekick.

Yes. The Hero System Basic Rulebook, mentioned earlier in the thread.

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=242420
    edited April 2010
    Pantagruel wrote:
    Eh, Champions requires 5th grade math (division by fractions); it's just very calculation intensive. Vehicle design subsystems in several game systems require the ability to handle fractional exponents and sometimes natural logarithms, which is more like 8th grade math, and I think I've seen some that involved some simple trigonometry. I've yet to see an RPG product that involved math that would be remotely challenging in a spreadsheet, however.

RIght.

I made over 1000 mathematically balanced Champions characters, each with a full color picture.

Creating characters, combined with the mathematics involved in combat, allowed me to memorized the Hardbound Blue Champions book (3rd Ed???, the one BEFORE that crappy fuzion junk) so much that I played for 5 years completely from memory.

The fraction division and mutliplication, multiforms, Elemental controls, variable power pools, exponential values like strength, and studying the bell curve probability of 1D6 and 3D6 rolls helped my mathematics out a lot. I heartily recommend teaching children how to play Champions just for the math skills involved in playing the game.

I also did a strength chart for all strength values from 0 to 150 for showing exactly how much a certain strength value could be. I also did the same thing with electricity and fire to show how each 5 points of an energy blast is double the amps or heat content of an attack, and so on.

And the OLD vehicle rules from the FIRST edition of Champions II sucked so bad, and were so hard to comprehend, they were probably the worst thing ever put out for Champions, except adding FUZION. Thank god the 2nd Edition of Champions II fixed the vehicle rules.
    edited April 2010
    Lucid wrote:

Good advice, but for any general PnP game. Best way to learn the system is to use the templates provided in teh book, see how they assembled it, look at their example of gameplays (most PnP games have at least one section devoted tot hat and even several supplement books may have it) and other features. It honestly helps the most to see it in action.

Copy a template, see how it was made, then in the example of play, follow along rolling dice yourself to get a feel and idea.
    edited April 2010
    A big part of what you can get out of really digging into the Hero System wasnt just math skills. As Pantagruel mentioned the actual math involved is not all that advanced. What I enjoy (I still actively play) seeing is the analytical thinking of concept realization.

A player wants a certain power concept and then breaks that concept down in order to construct the in game power from the various building block effects provided. There might not be a Circle of Primal Dominion power but you can certainly build it.
    edited April 2010
    Reactor wrote:
    RIght.

I made over 1000 mathematically balanced Champions characters, each with a full color picture.

Creating characters, combined with the mathematics involved in combat, allowed me to memorized the Hardbound Blue Champions book (4th Ed :), the one BEFORE that crappy fuzion junk) so much that I played for 5 years completely from memory.

The fraction division and mutliplication, multiforms, Elemental controls, variable power pools, exponential values like strength, and studying the bell curve probability of 1D6 and 3D6 rolls helped my mathematics out a lot. I heartily recommend teaching children how to play Champions just for the math skills involved in playing the game.

I also did a strength chart for all strength values from 0 to 150 for showing exactly how much a certain strength value could be. I also did the same thing with electricity and fire to show how each 5 points of an energy blast is double the amps or heat content of an attack, and so on.

And the OLD vehicle rules from the FIRST edition of Champions II sucked so bad, and were so hard to comprehend, they were probably the worst thing ever put out for Champions, except adding FUZION. Thank god the 2nd Edition of Champions II fixed the vehicle rules.
    /agree....
    edited April 2010
    I currently run Mutants and Masterminds for all my superhero needs.
    Ashen_X wrote:
    All powers have a basic effect. DIce of damage, points of defense, whatever. You then apply modifiers to that basic cost. If you want your energy blast to affect an area it increases teh cost.
    In terms of M&M2E ... this would be what are called "extras".

For example, in M&M I can buy a generic "Blast" power. I can describe it any way I want; a Fire blast or an Ice blast work identically within the rules. All else is window-dressing and descriptive narrative elements, really. By default, it's a single-target power with default accuracy, usable once per turn/round. The power's Rank determines both Range and Strength of the attack.

If I want to affect an Area, there's an Extra for that (with several KINDS of area to choose from) - to vary the Area, which is normally based on Rank as well, I can apply the extra to only SOME of the ranks in Blast.

I poked my head into a Champions rulebook once. 3E, I think. And, even though I'm a math-loving point-monkey sort of gamer, the sheer breadth of what's covered, is indeed a bit intimidating at first. I've been warned more than once, "bring a calculator to make your character. It's not that the mathis hard - it's that calcualtors have better memory than people. And nothing sucks quite like forgetting to add that sixteen-and-a-half-point power into your running total ... halfway through a four-hundred-point character."

The beauty of Champions was you could:
    M&M does this too. The GM simply says "sure, keep it to PL10, and however you want to describe it, you can. :)

For my superhero stuff, I just run Mutants and Masterminds myself. Nice to see a fellow MnM player, by the way.
    There's a few of us kickin' around. :)
    edited April 2010
    _Pax_ wrote:
    In terms of M&M2E ... this would be what are called "extras".
    Pretty much everything in M&M can be mapped to Hero, and vice versa.
    _Pax_ wrote:
    I poked my head into a Champions rulebook once. 3E, I think. And, even though I'm a math-loving point-monkey sort of gamer, the sheer breadth of what's covered, is indeed a bit intimidating at first. I've been warned more than once, "bring a calculator to make your character. It's not that the mathis hard - it's that calcualtors have better memory than people. And nothing sucks quite like forgetting to add that sixteen-and-a-half-point power into your running total ... halfway through a four-hundred-point character."
    What you really want is a spreadsheet. I've done Hero chars by hand, but it's a pain. However, it can be a hassle tracking the points even in M&M.
    edited April 2010
    ^_^ I use a spreadsheet for M&M characters. Unfortunately, OpenOffice fails to translate my preferred sheet from Excel to it's own format. Breaks the whole thing. :(
    edited May 2010
    When I was first introduced to Champions, it was 2nd edition, so was still only one fairly small book. However, nobody in my gaming group had ever played before, either; the GM of our DnD campaign one night said "I wanna try this game."

My first character was a Spider-man clone, and not very well realized at that. He became my favourite character to play, in a 5+ year long campaign, but only after several rewrites and updates as I learned the system. I spent my first year in Champions writing up dozens upon dozens of different characters (only a scant few ever even saw NPC status), which was fun ('cause I actually love math), and helped me learn the (admittedly much less complex, back then) system very well. From that point, I never really thought about how hard the system was for new players with each new edition, though I did find myself running more than one campaign in which I as GM took on the mantle of writing up my players' characters for them.

So for the new player looking at 6th edition, I mostly agree with many of the people here who suggest that you start by using a pre-made character from one of the Hero System books/supplements, and concentrate on learning the combat, skill rolls, and all the gameplay mechanics. Once you become comfortable with that, then you can start deconstructing the characters you have been playing and adapting them, or creating your own.

I will say that having read through the books once already will become useful down the road; everything may be confusing now, but once you start learning the game, the things you read way back when will start to resurface and make sense.

It sounds like a lot of work to play a game, but, in my opinion (and obviously in others' opinions as well), it's totally worth it; for one game I was running, I made as an NPC ... "Letter-man" from the Electric Company in the '70's ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UOqSQdpgRI ). Try that with any other game!

-Reverend Spith