test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is Dr. Destroyer's place in 6th edition?

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Ok so now I finally know that Dr. D is still around, and so is Shadow Destroyer(Blegh). So if Shadow Destroyer is the evil defender...what is the multifarian version of Doctor Destroyer? Is he the Defender of multifarian?
    edited April 2010
    Ok so now I finally know that Dr. D is still around, and so is Shadow Destroyer(Blegh). So if Shadow Destroyer is the evil defender...what is the multifarian version of Doctor Destroyer? Is he the Defender of multifarian?

There is no mention of the Doctor in the multifarian dimension.
    edited April 2010
    Generally Thanos.

If Doom has some time to plan or foresee it... Doom.
    If not... Thanos.
    Doom is great because he's 'the' Mastermind to me in Marvel. An my favourite Supervillain (and sometimes hero ;) )
    However he's been overpowered several times. He just always has a few trump cards to ensure survival.

Doom shall not be denied!

Btw what does this Shadow Destroyer look like?
    edited April 2010
    Btw what does this Shadow Destroyer look like?

The guy in the wallpaper on the right? Or in the banner? Or the Dr. Destroyer shown in the Dr. Destroyer profile on the villain profiles?
    edited April 2010
    Isn't all the art of Doctor Destroyer?
    edited April 2010
    No. That's Shadow Destroyer. In fact if you read the actual entry it says it's unusual considering the design of the armor and the new powers he is weilding.
    edited April 2010
    Hmm could someone put up a piccie of the regular one then?
    edited April 2010
    Hmm could someone put up a piccie of the regular one then?

The picture of the guy in the entrance of the Destroyer lair? That was Albert Zerstoiten's last known costume (ie. his 5th edition outfit).

Edit:
    As seen here:
    https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=232631
    edited April 2010
    Thundrax wrote:
    The picture of the guy in the entrance of the Destroyer lair? That was Albert Zerstoiten's last known costume (ie. his 5th edition outfit).

Well, his last known costume in CO would be the one that was seen inside the factory. Remember, in CO, he disappeared right after the destruction of Detroit and hasn't reappeared since. The use of that artwork for the entrance to Destroyer's factory I have always found to be a little off.
    edited April 2010
    Dardove wrote:
    Well, his last known costume in CO would be the one that was seen inside the factory. Remember, in CO, he disappeared right after the destruction of Detroit and hasn't reappeared since. The use of that artwork for the entrance to Destroyer's factory I have always found to be a little off.

It's a bit of a continuity issue, an artifact of Cryptic ignoring or downplaying Albert Zerstoiten's return in CU canon. I think we have to fan **** a wee bit and assume that Zerstoiten at some point in his career adopted the 5th edition outfit and wore it in public. This doesn't preclude wearing his 4th edition outfit at the battle of Detroit, but he would have been recognized as having switched his costumes back and forth a few times in his career. They certainly changed over the course of the PnP game, as Book of the Destroyer ably demonstrates. For Albert's 4th edition look:

http://vu.morrissey-solo.com/moz/perez/info/champions4.htm
    edited August 2011
    Aren't we all happy the Resistance Adventure Pack came out? I think it wrapped up this whole issue rather well.
    edited August 2011
    And there will be much rejoicing in Javangari! :D
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, Resistance basically put this to rest once and for all. I think they meant for us to go "Oh crap, he's back" but I was more "Yay! Dr. Destroyer!"
    edited August 2011
    I'd be interested in hearing the perspective of the Cryptic Studios devs as to what they were trying to accomplish by introducing Shadow Destroyer, that they felt they couldn't with the original Dr. D.
    edited August 2011
    I'd be interested in hearing the perspective of the Cryptic Studios devs as to what they were trying to accomplish by introducing Shadow Destroyer, that they felt they couldn't with the original Dr. D.

I think they just wanted an alternate universe version of the Champions themselves, in much the same way that they created the Praetorians in City of Heroes.
    edited August 2011

I've not finished resistance so perhaps I'm gonna seem real ignorant here, but I figured for sure "the old man" grizz mentioned would be the Multifarian version of doc destroyer
    edited August 2011
    I've not finished resistance so perhaps I'm gonna seem real ignorant here, but I figured for sure "the old man" grizz mentioned would be the Multifarian version of doc destroyer

Alright, what is to follow is basic spoiler info from what I know;
    Albert Zoisterton, or "The Old Man", that you free in Resistance is the real Dr. Destroyer. No, he is not Multifarian Destroyer, that man was actually killed according to the timeline. In fact, it was because of that Destroyer that Multifarian Harmon, aka Citizen Harmon or Shadow Destroyer, got his inspiration and became a new Destroyer.

Dr. Destroyer was actually slated to return much sooner, but when Shadow Destroyer made his appearance and claiming to be THE Destroyer, well, Dr. Destroyer's ego sort of got in the way. He waited and plotted in the background and finally tracked him down and decided to attack Shadow Destroyer in his home world. However, that battle didn't go well and he was defeated and captured, and that is how Shadow Destroyer gained control of the mass of Destroid armies and factories.

So in short, the Dr. Destroyer you free is the REAL Dr. Destroyer. Albert Zerstoiten. Is the maniacal mad genius that leveled Detroit, and it is only a matter of time before his next plot will come forth now that he has been freed.
    edited August 2011
    You know, one thing that has me curious. Even though Dr. Destroyer is like the greatest scientific genius of all time, at least according to him, he's nearly 100 years old. Any explanation of how he is still alive, or is it explained as sheer will or some scientific drug he creates or something else?
    edited August 2011
    It's his armour - it slows down his aging to almost a complete standstill.

If I remember the quote, it's something like "Every second spent outside his armor is a second of normal aging, and a second to be avoided."
    edited August 2011
    Exactly, which is why he almost never takes off his armor. Outside of it he looks like a very healthy but still elderly white male.

Zerstoiten's greatest secret, which almost no-one else in the world knows, is that
    his exceptional genetics, which are responsible for his genius, also make him unsuitable for any of the antigeria or cloning procedures he's developed. The life-support systems in his armor slow his aging, but can't stop it. He's desperately searching for a way around this problem, but if he can't find one he won't be around very much longer.
    edited August 2011
    Well with the 'good' Doctor out and about now, that opens up some rather interesting and possibly Faustian story lines for him.
    edited August 2011
    Years ago I contributed a "plot seed" to a Champions PnP book, suggesting that Dr. Destroyer could start a war with Dr. Yin Wu if he learns the Chinese sorceror is immortal, to force from him the secret of the Pill of Immortality. I liked the image of ultratech robots slugging it out with Chinese supernatural monsters. PCs could be drawn into the middle of the conflict to prevent the destruction of Chinatown, and perhaps be recruited by Yin Wu himself in order to prevent an immortal Destroyer.

The climax of the scenario would be protecting Yin Wu's castle in China from Destroyer's assault. I also suggested it would make an interesting complication if the sorceror himself leaked knowledge of the Pill of Immortality to Dr. Destroyer, to prompt Destroyer to invade China to get to him; thus weakening the Chinese regime enough for Yin Wu to overthrow them and declare himself Emperor.
    edited August 2011
    Years ago I contributed a "plot seed" to a Champions PnP book, suggesting that Dr. Destroyer could start a war with Dr. Yin Wu if he learns the Chinese sorceror is immortal, to force from him the secret of the Pill of Immortality. I liked the image of ultratech robots slugging it out with Chinese supernatural monsters. PCs could be drawn into the middle of the conflict to prevent the destruction of Chinatown, and perhaps be recruited by Yin Wu himself in order to prevent an immortal Destroyer.

The climax of the scenario would be protecting Yin Wu's castle in China from Destroyer's assault. I also suggested it would make an interesting complication if the sorceror himself leaked knowledge of the Pill of Immortality to Dr. Destroyer, to prompt Destroyer to invade China to get to him; thus weakening the Chinese regime enough for Yin Wu to overthrow them and declare himself Emperor.

funny you mentioned that as I had JUST read that section of the book.

I admit to being VERY curious how destroy's mortality will be handled eventually. according to book of the destroyer, he's got 9 years before his health starts failing I can only figure that he's gonna launch some sort of last ditch world conquest plot fairly soon...
    edited August 2011
    I admit to being VERY curious how destroy's mortality will be handled eventually. according to book of the destroyer, he's got 9 years before his health starts failing I can only figure that he's gonna launch some sort of last ditch world conquest plot fairly soon...

You can actually find out about that in Galactic Champions -- though in the Cryptic Era I suppose it's possible there might be a bit o' a retcon eventually. ;)
    edited August 2011
    In the Galactic Champions timeline, Dr. D goes out with more of a whimper than a bang.
    edited August 2011
    In the Galactic Champions timeline, Dr. D goes out with more of a whimper than a bang.

Sad to hear. :(

But one more book to pick up on the next paycheck. :D
    edited August 2011
    HeroSteve wrote:
    You can actually find out about that in Galactic Champions -- though in the Cryptic Era I suppose it's possible there might be a bit o' a retcon eventually. ;)

haveing just read it you're gonna have to retcon it in 10 years anyway Steve, :)
    edited August 2011
    How far fetched would it be for Dr. D to develop time travel tech and travel to the future for the knowledge to help treat his aging issues? There have been time traveling people in Champions lore before.
    edited August 2011
    cptpatriot wrote:
    How far fetched would it be for Dr. D to develop time travel tech and travel to the future for the knowledge to help treat his aging issues? There have been time traveling people in Champions lore before.
    If our favourite blender wearing inventor can toss a time machine together, the Great Destroyer should be able to do it without any trouble.
    edited August 2011
    It mentions in Book Of The Destroyer that while Dr. D would like to get his hands on Captain Chronos's obviously-advanced technology to study, he's confident he could invent a time-travel device himself if he wanted to.

This idea would be a great pretext to send PCs on a time-travel adventure. Trying to stop Destroyer they're accidentally drawn into his machine and follow him to the Thirtieth Century and the universe of Galactic Champions! Now that would make a helluva comic series or adventure pack! :cool:
    edited August 2011
    It mentions in Book Of The Destroyer that while Dr. D would like to get his hands on Captain Chronos's obviously-advanced technology to study, he's confident he could invent a time-travel device himself if he wanted to.

This idea would be a great pretext to send PCs on a time-travel adventure. Trying to stop Destroyer they're accidentally drawn into his machine and follow him to the Thirtieth Century and the universe of Galactic Champions! Now that would make a helluva comic series or adventure pack! :cool:

agreed! it'd offer up a chance to use part of the champs IP that would otherwise be hard to use
    edited February 2012
    Hello, I haven't read the books of the Champions, but I can't understand if Dr. D (Albert Z.) died or travelled to Multifaria due a space time distortion created by his Orbital Cannon. So both destroyers fought and eventually Citizen Harmon defeat Albert Z. or am I wrong? Please explain me what happend after the battle of Detroit.
    edited February 2012
    At the conclusion of the Battle of Detroit in 1992, Dr. Destroyer (the original, Albert Zerstoiten, whom I'll refer to as "Dr. Destroyer" for purposes of this discussion) teleported away to one of his hidden bases, while leaving evidence behind that led the world to believe he died. Dr. Destroyer spent a decade in seclusion refining his weapons and technology, intending to return to the world more powerful than ever. Just as he was about to launch his reappearance in 2002, a villain claiming to be Dr. Destroyer ("Citizen Harmon") showed up on Champions Earth. Destroyer covertly studied his doppleganger, eventually discovering the dimension he came from. In 2009
    Dr. D travelled to the Multifarian and attacked Citizen Harmon, but underestimated his opponent and was defeated and imprisoned. Harmon used control codes from the Doctor's captured armor to access some of his facilities and employ some of his robots and vehicles. As a result of the events in "Resistance," Dr. Destroyer escaped his imprisonment and confronted and defeated Citizen Harmon.

Now we're all just waiting to see what happens when the true Destroyer announces his return. ;)
    edited February 2012
    I'd really hope for the new level (whenever it comes out) to have some more Dr. D in it.
    edited February 2012
    Regarding a more continuity question: is Book of the Destroyer considered a 5th edition book or does it stand in the 6th edition?
    edited February 2012
    Regarding a more continuity question: is Book of the Destroyer considered a 5th edition book or does it stand in the 6th edition?

Book Of The Destroyer was written for the Fifth Edition of HERO System, and is technically a 5E book continuity-wise, although AFAICT everything in it about Destroyer up until 2002 still applies to 6E continuity. In BOTD Steve Long had Dr. D make his public return in that year because other 5E books referred to his activities after that date, and Steve didn't want to contradict and confuse the timeline for people who had those books. In BOTD he makes Shadow Destroyer/Citizen Harmon's appearance a more recent event.

The Sixth Edition Champions Universe sourcebook completely conforms to the timeline established by Champions Online regarding the two Destroyers.
    edited February 2012
    Book Of The Destroyer was written for the Fifth Edition of HERO System, and is technically a 5E book continuity-wise, although AFAICT everything in it about Destroyer up until 2002 still applies to 6E continuity. In BOTD Steve Long had Dr. D make his public return in that year because other 5E books referred to his activities after that date, and Steve didn't want to contradict and confuse the timeline for people who had those books. In BOTD he makes Shadow Destroyer/Citizen Harmon's appearance a more recent event.

The Sixth Edition Champions Universe sourcebook completely conforms to the timeline established by Champions Online regarding the two Destroyers.

Thanks for the help.One more quick question(hoping not to diverge attention on the thread's basic topic): Is Champions Universe the only book,currently, that counts as a part of the 6th edition volumes?
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for the help.One more quick question(hoping not to diverge attention on the thread's basic topic): Is Champions Universe the only book,currently, that counts as a part of the 6th edition volumes?

Definitely not. :) Besides the rulebooks, and books full of prebuilt superpowers, supertech, and the like, volumes that are written for Sixth Edition and firmly part of current Champions Universe continuity include the Champions genre book, of which a fraction is devoted to describing the superteam of that name; the Champions Villains trilogy, detailing literally hundreds of canon supervillains; Champions Beyond describing CU outer space and its inhabitants; and the soon-to-be-released Book Of The Empress detailing the vast interdimensional empire of Istvatha V'han.

However, with a few exceptions Champions Online is very firmly based on CU continuity established by Fifth Edition, so at least 90% of what was written for 5E is still accurate "lore-wise." ;)
    edited February 2012
    Definitely not. :) Besides the rulebooks, and books full of prebuilt superpowers, supertech, and the like, volumes that are written for Sixth Edition and firmly part of current Champions Universe continuity include the Champions genre book, of which a fraction is devoted to describing the superteam of that name; the Champions Villains trilogy, detailing literally hundreds of canon supervillains; Champions Beyond describing CU outer space and its inhabitants; and the soon-to-be-released Book Of The Empress detailing the vast interdimensional empire of Istvatha V'han.

However, with a few exceptions Champions Online is very firmly based on CU continuity established by Fifth Edition, so at least 90% of what was written for 5E is still accurate "lore-wise." ;)
    Thanks for help(again),Lord_Liaden.:)
    edited February 2012
    While chewy and interesting and loads of fun to think about what Cryptic could do with this in game...

It makes me sad to think Vanguard and so many others died and Dr.D still lurks and waits fro the moment to strike :(
    edited February 2012
    Gah. Double post...
    edited February 2012
    Alleyne wrote:
    While chewy and interesting and loads of fun to think about what Cryptic could do with this in game...

It makes me sad to think Vanguard and so many others died and Dr.D still lurks and waits fro the moment to strike :(

There was no corpse. Of course he escaped.
    edited February 2012
    Ogremindes wrote:
    There was no corpse. Of course he escaped.

Hate to be morbid about this, but in Vanguard's case, there is no corpse because it burned up on re-entry.
    edited February 2012
    Aariny wrote:
    Hate to be morbid about this, but in Vanguard's case, there is no corpse because it burned up on re-entry.

I think he was talking about Destroyer not Vanguard.
    edited February 2012
    Alleyne wrote:

Especially since, according to Book Of The Destroyer,
    the entire asteroid scheme and destruction of Detroit was set up by Destroyer as a ruse just to fake his death. I really disagreed with that choice by Steve Long -- IMO it cheapens all those deaths and the heroes' sacrifice. :(

And yes, I'm aware of the irony of moral outrage over a completely fictional event. :o
    edited February 2012
    Actually LL, that whole point drives home the completely evil nature of Dr. Destroyer. It was a cheap tactic, and it worked. He even got to remove a few pesky heroes in the process. So in all it was an intentional ruse to make himself disappear so he could have time and quiet to perfect his plans, that came out with bonuses for him. It doesn't cheapen it, IMO, it just drives home the point how diabolical and devious he truly is.
    edited February 2012
    Fair enough. :) For my part, I just feel that with so many lives lost, and so many heroes who sacrificed themselves, their deaths would have had more meaning if they'd actually stopped a plot that Dr. D really wanted to succeed.

It seemed to me like Steve Long went a little too Jim Starlin/Thanos on that one. He wanted Destroyer to be perfect. ;)
    edited February 2012
    *Cries* I' will not...sob... be happy until Dr. Ka, or Caliburn, or Wtichcraft or Dr.Black or White finds some weird voodooo whozywhutzit and brings Vanguard back from the dead ...waaaah

I may be a Bat-fan, but even reading about anything close to a "Superman...he be dead...fo reals" breaks my dark little heart :(

In all seriousness though. Doc D is one bad *****.
    edited February 2012
    Fair enough. :) For my part, I just feel that with so many lives lost, and so many heroes who sacrificed themselves, their deaths would have had more meaning if they'd actually stopped a plot that Dr. D really wanted to succeed.

It seemed to me like Steve Long went a little too Jim Starlin/Thanos on that one. He wanted Destroyer to be perfect. ;)

I tend to agree.
    edited February 2012
    Alleyne wrote:
    *Cries* I' will not...sob... be happy until Dr. Ka, or Caliburn, or Wtichcraft or Dr.Black or White finds some weird voodooo whozywhutzit and brings Vanguard back from the dead ...waaaah

I may be a Bat-fan, but even reading about anything close to a "Superman...he be dead...fo reals" breaks my dark little heart :(

His death was worthy of Superman, though. A great note to go out on.
    Alleyne wrote:
    In all seriousness though. Doc D is one bad *****.

That he is. For all his pretense of honor and nobility, and claims the world will be better under his rule... Albert Zerstoiten is a cruel, selfish, treacherous, greedy, ruthless SOB who cares nothing for anyone or anything but himself, and holds himself superior to all other beings in existence. It's truly unfortunate that he has the power and genius to back up his attitude.