test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Champions Universe Book and Champions Online

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
Is the lore consistent between the Champions PnP (new versions) and Champions Online? So if I buy your forthcoming Champions Universe book it can act as a rich background for the MMO as well as the PnP?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Generally speaking, yes, it's very consistent -- but you have to make allowances for the fact that (a) not everything that works in a PnP RPG translates well to an on-screen MMO without some minor changes, and (b) there's an enormous amount of info on the CU in our books that the MMO hasn't yet had a chance to make use of.

Similarly, there are times when the MMO needed to advance or alter a storyline to fit the needs of CO. For example, in our books you won't find any discussion of a rebellion in Lemuria -- that's an idea the Cryptic designers came up with to improve the Lemuria zone and generate interesting MMO game play.

The new CU book I'm working on will embody the "Cryptic take" on the CU as much as possible, though in most cases that will require little or no change from our existing material. The book will include discussion of, for example, the 2009 Qularr invasion, the 2009 Stronghold breakout, and the Lemurian rebellion -- none of which have appeared in our books before. It will also include Burning Sands, which is wholly a Cryptic creation and a great addition to the setting IMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Excellent! Sounds like a fantastic resource, even if we don't play the PnP. I am in for one!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    HeroSteve wrote:
    ...It will also include Burning Sands, which is wholly a Cryptic creation and a great addition to the setting IMO.

Awesome! Can't wait to read it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Champions book coming out? Sweet, love to read it!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The good news is, I'm nearly done with my writing/revising/updating, and if all goes to plan I'll send the book to layout early next week. Stay tuned!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Woot! Looking forward to it!