test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Areas of synergy between the PnP RPG and Champions Online MMO

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
I think a good discussion to kickoff this shiny new forum would be what we'd like to see developed in terms of interaction and synergy between the HERO Games Paper and Pencil RPG and the Cryptic MMO.

The obvious things are more of the Champions IP/backstory showing up in game, and the guidance on how to build your CO MMO character in the HERO system rules. I know those are already on the table and being worked on, Steve Long has already said that the 6th ed of the Champions supplement for the HERO System will have a chapter devoted specifically to building powers that match those available in the MMO.

So lets talk about what else we'd like to see?

1. I'd like to an integration of some sort between the CO Character Creator and the HERO systems Hero Designer software so that I can use CO to create the character picture and import it into Hero Designer. Then I'd like to be able to print out a map figure sized character portrait (maybe front and back so you can just fold it and put it in a base?) to use on the tabletop map.

2. Maybe a way to keep a continuing storyline going for a character? Sort of a Character blog, so you can have more than just an origin for your character, more of journal. Maybe integrated with the log system?

3. Maybe have products that are co-marketed for both CO and Hero games? I.E. A new supplement comes out for HERO system AND CO you can buy it separately for either, or get a cost break for buying BOTH the PnP version AND the MMO version. This might help pull in more PnP players into the MMO and vice versa?

3a. Have Cryptic work with HERO games to publish the "Adventure Packs" that Jack mentioned come out as a Hero System by-monthly supplement kind of like the old Adventurers Club publication.

What would you all like to see?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'm not sure about how functional it is, but the "Character Stream" feature on the web site seems to fit what you describe as far as a character progress "blog"?
    edited February 2010
    Yes, the character stream allows you to keep an on-going journal of your character and their adventures if that's what you desire.
    edited February 2010
    But no one can currenlty read the character streams, unless you give them the direct link to the page. :rolleyes:
    edited February 2010
    You mean like your stream I couldn't reach by using the magical search feature in ChampEdia? Nope,c an't do anything like that :rolleyes:
    edited February 2010
    Silverspar wrote:
    You mean like your stream I couldn't reach by using the magical search feature in ChampEdia? Nope,c an't do anything like that :rolleyes:

Is there any way to write or access these ingame? I can't seem to find any way to do either...
    edited February 2010
    Is there any way to write or access these ingame? I can't seem to find any way to do either...

Not in-game, you access it throught eh site and write it like a blog entry. If they are adding a way in-game, it isn't known yet, though it might be on the UI teams list, but I doubt for right now.
    edited February 2010
    Silverspar wrote:
    Don't make me go upside your head.

The point is you have to be savvy with the website control in order to see it, most newbies won't know wtf you're talking about if you use any of this lingo or say "Go to Champedia."
    edited February 2010
    I'm probably not as knowledgable as anyone here on this game, but I still know what the Champedia is and where to find it.
    edited February 2010
    ::nods to the above minus the head whackage::

I'd much rather see it available in-game, it's not terribly useful isolated in a part of the website that most folks don't generally know about.

But what about other things? What else would YOU like to see that builds on the relationship of CO and the PnP RPG? Nice to see that the Vibora Bay book was heavily used by the Enviro-Artists based on Tumerboy's post, hope the rest of the team used it as much when developing the content.

REALLY hope there's some effort to tie in the Adventure packs with HERO System publications.