test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trying to decide on a Passive Defensive

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Power Discussion
From what I've seen and read Passive Defensive powers are very important and the three best seem to be Personal Force Field, Invulnerability, and Regeneration.

I have an early Force/Power Armor character so I have access to the first two by level 5. The problem being I'm speccing my character focusing on Dexterity and Ego for DPS (with the Power Armor toggle powers this seems to amount to pretty good damage output).

But in order for Invulnerability to be effective I need to spec heavly in both Strength and Constitution making me spread out my items and talents more thinly and while Personal Force Field uses Ego it also uses Endurance which I have to branch into and from what I've read Personal Force Field isn't as good as Invulnerability.

The other option of course is to wait a few levels and take Regeneration which doesn't rely on any stats but I've been reading that Regeneration isn't as good as either Invulnerability or Personal Force Field, especially in the end game.

Any advice in what course I can take with my DPS character would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Lightning Reflexes or Regeneration should do the trick for you. Both are plenty good. You don't need the passive by level 5, but it'll become pretty important around your teens.

Flavor explanations for the powers aren't too hard to find, either....!
    edited August 2009
    you want a DPS hero with a passive defence?

well... i'd have to sayfor my DPS heroes i don't use a passive defense... it's simply not needed. unless you find yourself struggling at al with the game in any aspect... passive defenses just aren't necessary anymore.

the last handful of heroes i've run haven't used passive defences because i find it makes everything just too easy, you will become unkillable once you figure out how to best use your powers.

instead for DPS i would suggest exploring the other choices. there are some really awesome ones like my particular favourite at the moment quarry.

seriously, i want to have quarry's babies...

you don;t have to be archery, there are also ones like the gadgeteering one which is pretty good for returning energy on ranged heroes. heck i've run a few MA heroes before and never dreamed of slotting the focus but i'm actually swaying towards it now. the reason is because people seem to be teaming and supportive far more than they were in closed and therefore i could probably get away with the lack of defences and simply utilise the extra damage.

honestly dude, if you are good at this game at all... skip the defensives... what a bore fest.
    edited August 2009
    I have a question...what do the stacks from quarry actually do? Reduce energy costs? Is that it?
    edited August 2009
    i disagree with Hrungnir, sure u can own a mob really quickly, but when your under fire by 3-4 guys (which you mostly are) you'll die very quickly.