test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are CO's power effects normalized?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Power Discussion
I'm not sure if I'm using that term (i.e., normalized) correctly in this context, but in any case it will be a lot easier to describe my question by way of example.

The Ice power set has a bread-and-butter ranged attack called Ice Blast. This attack can be tapped or charged, with the charged version doing more damage, requiring more energy, and of course taking more time. The power also has an advantage (I can't remember the name of it now) that deals extra damage to targets that are suffering from the Chill debuff that a number of Ice effects can apply.

The thing is that the damage bonus is listed as a static amount. No consideration is given in the text of the advantage for whether the Ice Blast is tapped or charged. As I understand the term to have been used in discussions of other games' mechanics (WoW's spell damage coefficient based on casting time, for example), normalizing the Ice Blast advantage's bonus damage would mean increasing the bonus damage the longer the Ice Blast is charged. The idea there is that a charged Ice Blast gets the same percentage boost out of hitting a Chilled target as a tapped Ice Blast does.

If the bonus is not treated this way, and remains a flat, non-percentage bonus, then that's fine too. In that case, as soon as you see you've Chilled your target then it's probably most efficient to start tapping that Ice Blast rather than charging it.

I would prefer the former approach, but the latter has its virtues too. Does anybody know which method Champions Online uses for this type of thing? Thanks for any insight you can provide. I wasn't in the closed beta and spent what little time I had in the open beta doing pretty much anything but number crunching. :D

(reprinted from the old forums)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Its a static amount from that advantage, some were finding it more efficient during beta to just keep tapping the power rather than charge it. It doesnt make that much of a difference as you get higher but at low levels it makes the skill hit extraordinarily hard for a tap.

When i had it ingame before the wipe i'm sure it said a flat figure of 285 or something along those lines but for some reason the builder program has it down as doing double damage on targets that are held or rooted.