What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pathstalker's Guide to Roleplay

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Fan Base Alpha
Pathstalkers Guide to Roleplay, v1.0

Introduction:
Roleplaying, also referred to as “RP” is a continuously growing community aspect in the online world. It adds a whole new element of socializing and interaction to MMOGs and over the years I have come to adore the experience of roleplaying with others in amazing storylines and spontaneous interactions. However, I also remember the days before I was immersed in roleplay and the fears and learning curve that I had to overcome in order to truly enjoy myself.

It is for this reason that I’ve decided to create this guide. I hope that those interested in roleplaying, but unsure of its mechanics or rules, as well as those already creating and playing out their stories alike will be able to read this guide and be better roleplayers for it. I don’t claim to be the master of roleplay or the final say on rules or regulations. Roleplay is fluid and every group and roleplayer will develop their own rules or styles. However, I do hope that this guide will make an effective starting point that will help create a better roleplay community here in the Champions Universe!

Section 1: What is Roleplay and how to identify it.

What is roleplay? The experience differs between different people, but at the basic level roleplay is…“Using the imagination to identify with someone else in order to explore and represent experiences from their perspective or viewpoint.” (Courtesy of google definitions)

What does this mean when it comes to MMOGs such as Champions? Well, the player essentially creates a personality and life for the character they play and act out that character’s personality. The best example of this would be the actor on stage. When Joe the Actor gets on stage, he stops being Joe the actor. He is no longer on a stage or performing in front of an audience. He becomes Hamlet, speaking to his father’s ghost. He acts to reflect his new reality. This what roleplayers do, they act out their characters.

Why? Because its fun! Roleplaying adds a whole new dimension to your game. You can go and clean out a room of bad guys with a team and talk about your new car or which enemy should go down first…Or you can take on the role of your character, letting off a battle cry and valiantly jumping in to apprehend the criminals whom you swore to stop as a young adult. Much more exciting now, no?

So how do we identify our fellow roleplayers? Well there are several ways. For starters, roleplayers generally need other roleplayers to interact with. Therefore many games have so called hotspots where roleplayers congregate. In City of Heroes/Villains this place was typically the Pocket D for example. Visiting these locations you can generally identify roleplayers doing their thing. Furthermore, roleplay communities generally welcome newcomers and new roleplay and therefore identify themselves as roleplayers to make these meetings easier. Checking a character’s biography for example will usually yield a small “(Roleplayer)” comment that will make things clear for you. Finally, you can just observe the people around you. If you see a group of characters doing a lot of emoting and talking very seriously or acting as if they’re not in a game…They’re probably roleplayers! It’s a simple matter of paying attention and using logic really.

Section 2: The basics of In Character vs. Out of Character

Now, to be fair it can be difficult to roleplay at all times in any game. Sometimes when you’re teamed up and taking on a challenging mission you have to break character and talk about game mechanics and tactics that wouldn’t make sense from a character perspective. For example, no general would mention DPS or having to “lock down the bosses before the minions.”

This is where we have the beautiful and simple system of In Character or IC versus Out Of Character or OOC. The names are pretty self explanatory and the mechanics of declaring IC or OOC interaction is simple. Of course the methods change between different players but generally things work as follows:

When a player interacts or speaks regularly in game, they are IC or in character.

Example: “Afternoon Captain Michael, you said you needed help with some local gangs?”

However, when a player adds three brackets to their comments or an otherwise identifiable OOC label, they are OOC or out of character, breaking the character personality. Typically OOC chat is considered to be separate from IC chat and characters should not react to OOC conversation.

Example: “(((Hey guys, this mission is pretty tough. Remember to load up your AoEs.
OR… “OOC: Hey guys, this mission is pretty tough. Remember to load up your AoEs”

With the basics of IC and OOC covered there is one final bit of useful info to cover and that’s the RP levels. These levels typically vary in definition, however understanding the general idea of each level when used in reference to a roleplayer’s style or a roleplaying guild’s seriousness. Its basically a classification system for identifying how much a person or guild like to RP.

Light RP: Mainly OOC interactions with the occasional RP for fun. RP is also typically light hearted and refrains from getting heavy and complex.

Medium RP: Equal levels of OOC and IC interactions, perhaps leaning towards IC. Offers lighthearted and serious roleplay alike.

Heavy RP: Mostly IC interactions with the occasional OOC interactions when necessary. Also involves complex RP stories and plots with detailed characters.

Now, you don’t have to follow these labels as I’ve laid them down or define yourself by them. I just thought it might be handy to know should you ever see the terms come up.

Section 3: Your Character

Congratulations! You now know the basics of roleplay in regards to IC vs. OOC and therefore have the basic tools you need to meet and interact with fellow roleplayers. However there’s still a key part missing…And that’s your character! In order to roleplay you need a character to roleplay as. Like every other part of this guide, there are certainly no rules stating exactly how to make and roleplay a character. Instead follow my instructions as a starting point and work from there, developing your character and creative process as you learn and grow.

How do we begin? It’s simple: you need a basic character concept. You don’t need a detailed backstory or a masterfully crafted piece of fiction. What you DO need is a character name, a personality and a general idea of this character’s concept. If you can nail down who your character is, what they do, why they do it and how they do it, you can go and begin roleplaying. Details such as their origin story and history growing up help further develop the character and make them easier to roleplay through more complex stories. Yet for simple first encounters and social interactions you don’t need these details!

I asked my friend, Conjohn9, to put together a sample bio of character info as an example. It’s on the silly satire side, but it also shows off the basics that every character needs:

Name (Civilian/Alter Ego): Richard Ross

Origin: Richard Ross was just your average, everyday plumber, until one day, a freak accident occurred. He was plumbing some pipes for a nuclear power plant, and entered a very large pipe. He found some fungus growing there, and he decided to eat it. After eating that radiated mushroom, he gained super powers! He grew in size and was able to smash large bricks with his head.

Motive: The mushroom had caused him to gain a permanently altered perspective on reality, so now he roams the land, defeating all who oppose him in his search for his true love.

Personality: Eccentric, also very stubborn. Entertained by the same menial task over and over again.

Powers: Acrobatics, able to leap small turtles in a single bound. When enraged, he is able to shoot balls of radiation out of his hands. Feet are lethal, and his primary weapon.

Arch-Enemy: The giant turtle that he discovered in the pipes of the nuclear power plant. He has named himself Reswob, and attempted to construct a castle and a series of difficult tasks for Mr. Rooter to get to him.

Costume: Fluorescent green overalls, with a blue denim shirt, glowing slightly due to radiation.

Using this bio, anyone can create and roleplay as “Mr. Rooter.” They know how the character should interact with others, what kinds of choices the character would make and in general how the character would fit into the universe.

Just remember: Stick to the basics at first! Name, personality, motives, description (Powers and appearance) and possibly origin are all you need to start and none of it has to be particularly detailed. I also recommend that you observe the following tips as they will make your character more enjoyable or easier to play:

- Be unique: While basing your character’s details off another famous comic or movie here that you like is okay, completely copying your favorite heroes is generally frowned upon. Trying making your own unique character that also adapts some of your favorite parts of other heroes. This more fun for you and those around you! This pertains to naming, appearance and overall character identity.

- Don’t overpower yourself: While its true that a world of superheroes is going to be filled with powerful characters, nobody likes characters that have godlike powers and are invincible to everything. Good characters have a balance of strengths and weaknesses. (I like to call this the ‘Superman Sucks Rule.’)

- Be human: No, I’m not saying you can’t be an alien or robot! But remember that people have all sorts of flaws or personality traits and quirks that make them unique. Try creating similar flawed but realistic personalities for your own characters. This can be in the form of accents, clothing styles, body postures and gestures or perhaps conversation styles. Its up to you really, but remember that you can be creative as you like.

- Keep it simple, stupid!: I stole this title from my grade 9 English teacher who made it clear that simple writing and stories can be amazing. Basically, complex characters and stories are fantastic, but try to avoid becoming so complex or crazy that your character is convoluted and make no sense whatsoever. Funny gag characters can be great to have around in certain amounts, but an over the top character can be just embarrassing and sometimes ignored by others as an attempt at griefing roleplayers.

***Guide continues in post below***
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Section 4: Roleplay Etiquette

So you know how to identify and talk to roleplayers and you’ve got your carefully crafted character! You’re now ready to go out there and roleplay in game or on forums as you please. Before you go, I leave you with some final tips of general roleplaying etiquette. These rules will help ensure that you and your fellow roleplayers enjoy your experience as much as possible:

- Don’t Godmod: As previously mentioned, the act of godmodding involves creating a character that is ridiculousy overpowered and without flaw. These characters are heavily frowned upon by the community as they either act invincible or generally force their roleplay upon others. Good roleplayers can communicate OOC to resolve IC issues and perfect characters are NOT fun to roleplay with. These characters are sometimes referred to as a Mary-Sue or Gary-Stu. Do NOT Godmod!

- Don’t kill other characters: Unless you’ve discussed the issue OOC and come to an agreement, any sort of character conflict should never lead to one character killing another without the creator’s permission. Every roleplayer puts a lot of love and creativity into their character and they won’t just let you kill them off! (Read godmodding, above.)

- Be creative: Also previously mentioned, nobody really likes copycat characters. Sure they can be entertaining at first, but the reality is that unique characters are always more fun and have more room to develop and grow. Create your own character, not a Wolverine or Spiderman clone, please. (See section 3 for character creation)

- Respect: Always respect your fellow roleplayers, regardless of their skill or opinions. roleplayers are united by their love for interacting and storytelling and if you approach every situation with respect and an interest in having fun you’ll be able to find a solution and continue enjoying yourself.

- Keep an open mind: This is the final and most important rule. Different roleplayers have different styles for roleplaying and interacting with their own characters. Try to keep and open mind and learn from your interactions as this will help you grow as a player too. Also, remember to welcome those who are new to roleplay and try to show them the ropes. We were all ‘n00bs’ once.

Closing Comments: I enjoyed writing this guide and will continue to update it as much as I can with various other details and aspects of roleplay. I hope to cover roleplay fighting and conflicts in my next update. Until then, please read and enjoy my guide. If it helped anyone learn the ropes of roleplaying I’ll feel like I’ve met my goal. Feel free to respond to my guide or to message me with feedback or suggestions or questions, I’m always glad to help!

And finally, perhaps I could get this stickied? I put a lot of work into it and I’d like to have it easily accessed by the community.

-Pathstalker
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ***Post reserved for future additions***
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ***Post reserved for MORE future additions***
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I did not know about god modding.

Thank you Pathstalker for this original, and completely neccessary addition to the Champions community
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This guide rejects roleplayer elitism. How dare he. :mad:
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This guide rejects roleplayer elitism. How dare he. :mad:

I know, I know. The first rule of roleplaying is... You don't talk about roleplaying.

Clearly I'm a horrible person. :(
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Really? There are actual people above the age of 9 that do not know what roleplaying is?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes, and this is something we must work together to combat

Its also not so much for knowing what it is...but rather how to do it.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thoughtful and well written! Thanks for posting this!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Great guide man, there are some of us (me) who know nothing of rp, thanks:). I've never tried roleplaying before and I have been reading some rp in these forums, there are so many good writers in them. Its seems interesting and fun, maybe i'll get into it.
    Thanks for the little spark.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I know, I know. The first rule of roleplaying is... You don't talk about roleplaying.

Clearly I'm a horrible person. :(

Yes, yes you are. But you make up for it by posting this handy little guide. Thanks a lot:)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hey!

I helped too...a little...

Okay maybe not that much, but my name is in there too!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    conjohn9 wrote: »
    Hey!

I helped too...a little...

Okay maybe not that much, but my name is in there too!

Yeah, but he posted it:p
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Nice work, Pathstalker. :) Maybe this could be stickied...
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Pathstalkers Guide to Roleplay, v1.0
    Section 2: The basics of In Character vs. Out of Character

Now, to be fair it can be difficult to roleplay at all times in any game. Sometimes when you’re teamed up and taking on a challenging mission you have to break character and talk about game mechanics and tactics that wouldn’t make sense from a character perspective. For example, no general would mention DPS or having to “lock down the bosses before the minions.”

This is where we have the beautiful and simple system of In Character or IC versus Out Of Character or OOC. The names are pretty self explanatory and the mechanics of declaring IC or OOC interaction is simple. Of course the methods change between different players but generally things work as follows:

When a player interacts or speaks regularly in game, they are IC or in character.

Example: “Afternoon Captain Michael, you said you needed help with some local gangs?”

However, when a player adds three brackets to their comments or an otherwise identifiable OOC label, they are OOC or out of character, breaking the character personality. Typically OOC chat is considered to be separate from IC chat and characters should not react to OOC conversation.

Example: “(((Hey guys, this mission is pretty tough. Remember to load up your AoEs.
    OR… “OOC: Hey guys, this mission is pretty tough. Remember to load up your AoEs”

Great guide! I would add that another commonly accepted practice to denote OOC is the use of double brackets on either side of the sentence. Generally it is the more widely used system. ((out of character comment)). You did say there were others, but I wanted to throw this one out there for people.

Also, I slightly disagree where you say that sometimes you need to talk in game terms to deal with certain tough missions, etc. There is generally ALWAYS a way to turn game terms into in character terms for a mission. For instance.

((Hey guys, this mission is pretty tough. Remember to load up your AoE's)) could be.

Hey guys, I've dealt with these guys before and they're tough. If you have crowd affecting powers, it's a good idea to get ready to use them.

Yeah, it's a bit longer, but not much and it accomplishes the same thing. You generally have a little time to prepare for encounters, etc. So a little creativity (which hey, isn't that what RP is about?) can be used here.

Though I do agree there are times when you may need to say something ooc quickly to get to the point, but I generally personally save this for real world things.((Gotta take a bio break)) ((Gotta let the dog out.)) Things that wouldn't make sense to say in the game in the middle of a mission, but people need to know not to head into the next encounter if I'm not ready.

Just adding to a great guide a little!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    great guide. i think we should petition for this to be made a sticky.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    superllama wrote: »
    Great guide! I would add that another commonly accepted practice to denote OOC is the use of double brackets on either side of the sentence. Generally it is the more widely used system. ((out of character comment)). You did say there were others, but I wanted to throw this one out there for people.

Also, I slightly disagree where you say that sometimes you need to talk in game terms to deal with certain tough missions, etc. There is generally ALWAYS a way to turn game terms into in character terms for a mission. For instance.

((Hey guys, this mission is pretty tough. Remember to load up your AoE's)) could be.

Hey guys, I've dealt with these guys before and they're tough. If you have crowd affecting powers, it's a good idea to get ready to use them.

Yeah, it's a bit longer, but not much and it accomplishes the same thing. You generally have a little time to prepare for encounters, etc. So a little creativity (which hey, isn't that what RP is about?) can be used here.

Though I do agree there are times when you may need to say something ooc quickly to get to the point, but I generally personally save this for real world things.((Gotta take a bio break)) ((Gotta let the dog out.)) Things that wouldn't make sense to say in the game in the middle of a mission, but people need to know not to head into the next encounter if I'm not ready.

Just adding to a great guide a little!

A valid point on both parts. I plan to edit the guide in a day or two and continue to add sections and extras, so I'll be sure to modify the new version with these suggestions.

And hey! I got stickied! Awesome :D
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    gratz, dude... this thread deserves it.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    RP, I tried that once, I was the janitor and my girl was the teacher who had to stay late to mark papers.....oh wait.

Seriously though -Fantastic guide, great to see such enthusiasm to the RP side of things. I am hoping to find a strong community for RP, Champions is perfect for it and I would love to hear different peoples perspectives on "heroes" and how there particular avatar fits into the Champions universe.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    i learnt RP on a private server of WoW. never knew how fun it could be. i urge anyone who has never tried it to give it a go. If only for a day or so.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I discovered the enjoyment of Role-playing rather recently, on the CoV trial to be precise. I normally put on an snob intellectual act as I find it rather entertaining. lol
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Deserves a Superior's Superior Rating! Very good guide, wouldn't mind if it had pictures and comics though :(
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This thread gets my vote to be a sticky. Good job. Two thumbs up:D
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If only he had somebody to draw for him....
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Superior wrote: »
    Deserves a Superior's Superior Rating! Very good guide, wouldn't mind if it had pictures and comics though :(

Hmm, another great idea I'll looking into for my next update! :)

And thanks for all the positive feedback folks! Really appreciate all the support :D
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Section 4: Roleplay Etiquette

So you know how to identify and talk to roleplayers and you’ve got your carefully crafted character! You’re now ready to go out there and roleplay in game or on forums as you please. Before you go, I leave you with some final tips of general roleplaying etiquette. These rules will help ensure that you and your fellow roleplayers enjoy your experience as much as possible:

- Don’t Godmod: As previously mentioned, the act of godmodding involves creating a character that is ridiculousy overpowered and without flaw. These characters are heavily frowned upon by the community as they either act invincible or generally force their roleplay upon others. Good roleplayers can communicate OOC to resolve IC issues and perfect characters are NOT fun to roleplay with. These characters are sometimes referred to as a Mary-Sue or Gary-Stu. Do NOT Godmod!

- Don’t kill other characters: Unless you’ve discussed the issue OOC and come to an agreement, any sort of character conflict should never lead to one character killing another without the creator’s permission. Every roleplayer puts a lot of love and creativity into their character and they won’t just let you kill them off! (Read godmodding, above.)

- Be creative: Also previously mentioned, nobody really likes copycat characters. Sure they can be entertaining at first, but the reality is that unique characters are always more fun and have more room to develop and grow. Create your own character, not a Wolverine or Spiderman clone, please. (See section 3 for character creation)

- Respect: Always respect your fellow roleplayers, regardless of their skill or opinions. roleplayers are united by their love for interacting and storytelling and if you approach every situation with respect and an interest in having fun you’ll be able to find a solution and continue enjoying yourself.

- Keep an open mind: This is the final and most important rule. Different roleplayers have different styles for roleplaying and interacting with their own characters. Try to keep and open mind and learn from your interactions as this will help you grow as a player too. Also, remember to welcome those who are new to roleplay and try to show them the ropes. We were all ‘n00bs’ once.

Closing Comments: I enjoyed writing this guide and will continue to update it as much as I can with various other details and aspects of roleplay. I hope to cover roleplay fighting and conflicts in my next update. Until then, please read and enjoy my guide. If it helped anyone learn the ropes of roleplaying I’ll feel like I’ve met my goal. Feel free to respond to my guide or to message me with feedback or suggestions or questions, I’m always glad to help!

And finally, perhaps I could get this stickied? I put a lot of work into it and I’d like to have it easily accessed by the community.

-Pathstalker

Mr. Pathstalker, you have created a useful tool for all new roleplayers. On behalf of all current roleplayers and roleplayers to come,

Thank You.

~Ol' Vigor

P.S: If you ever wish to roleplay with Vigilance, just head on over we are always welcoming new roleplayers.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My only regret is I didn't read this earlier. If I had I could have said Good Job!! a lot sooner! :)

Seriously, I put it off because I expected I would wind up flaming you for being some kind of RP nazi. What a pleasant surprise.

My only suggestion would be to differentiate a bit more between MMO chat RP and Story Telling RP. As in it's far more common in say a forum thread RP session for someone to Godmod (godmode we called it) or kill someone off than it would be in a MMO chat. My reason for this is for the total newbie who might get confused. Then again I might be just over complicating things. :(

Again tho, awesome guide. Gratz on the sticky!!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for that post!
    And yes, there are people who do not know about RPing, or would activly try to destroy any attempts at it! You could find them in the PvP realms of WoW, for exemple!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Most definitely beurre....
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    conjohn9 wrote: »
    I did not know about god modding.

Thank you Pathstalker for this original, and completely neccessary addition to the Champions community

Actually, a tiny correction to an otherwise excellent guide.

Godmodding is actually taking any action in-character, and also declaring it's result.

An example;

[Normal polite RP statement]

/e Mr. Rooter becomes enraged at the insults to his costume, and grows in size, firing several radiation fueled bursts at Luigio.

[Godmodded version sent by a new or rude roleplayer]

/e Mr. Rooter becomes enraged at the insults to his costume, and fires several radiation fueled bursts, striking poor Luigio before he can react, and knocking him out.

In the first example, Mr. Rooters' player leaves the result of his action up to to other player, allowing them to dodge, resist, or take the hit however the want to, either lengthening the event or cutting it short as they prefer, based on in or out of character factors.

In the second Godmodded version, the rude or perhaps unknowledgeable roleplayer has dictated the result of his attacks without consulting the other player. Other players generally resent this greatly, particularly when it affects their characters background details such as their bio, or violence visited upon their character or friends.

This is akin to two kids playing "Cowboys & Indians", where one shouts, "I shot you!", and the other screams back, "No you didn't, I shot you first!"

Overpowered "perfect" characters are more a factor of powergamers than of godmodders, but both factors can exist in the same roleplayer, usually new roleplayers.

Just trying to help, and when I was new to online RP, I committed a few of these errors, much to my chagrin. Not the violence ones, the ones where I'd "help" people with their backstories. :-/
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Excellent post!

Its is now on the Required Reading List for all members of The ACADEMY.

If I may also add to have a good idea to know exactly what your charcter can do and not do. Don'to create a new power, ability , or gadgets out of thin air just to get you out of the problem. I am not refering to legitatly earned new powers, but plot breaking kind of stuff.

Sure it works on Star Trek, when Geordi bypasses the superhydrodynamicsuperwhamperdyne, crosses the beams, goes back in time and saves Lois Lane, but in game it get old really fast. (Go old on Star Trek to...)

Part of the fun of RPing is working within the boundaries of a situation and of your powers.
    Sometimes you can't win.
    That the big differane between RP and Powergamers. RP is not always about winning the fight.
    As I always say "Sometimes its more fun to ride the waves than the still the waters."
    OK not always, but yo get the idea.

GORDO
    Dean of The ACADEMY
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    GORDO wrote: »
    Excellent post!

Its is now on the Required Reading List for all members of The ACADEMY.

If I may also add to have a good idea to know exactly what your charcter can do and not do. Don'to create a new power, ability , or gadgets out of thin air just to get you out of the problem. I am not refering to legitatly earned new powers, but plot breaking kind of stuff.

Sure it works on Star Trek, when Geordi bypasses the superhydrodynamicsuperwhamperdyne, crosses the beams, goes back in time and saves Lois Lane, but in game it get old really fast. (Go old on Star Trek to...)

Part of the fun of RPing is working within the boundaries of a situation and of your powers.
    Sometimes you can't win.
    That the big differane between RP and Powergamers. RP is not always about winning the fight.
    As I always say "Sometimes its more fun to ride the waves than the still the waters."
    OK not always, but yo get the idea.

GORDO
    Dean of The ACADEMY

"Do not Deux Ex!" Haha, excellent idea. Thanks very much for the suggestion as well as for sharing my work with your guild. :)

My schedule has sadly been hectic as of late, but I plan to implement the suggested edits and changes sometime this week! I hope everyone will continue to make suggestions so that I can further improve the guide :D
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "Do not Deux Ex!" Haha, excellent idea.

I've taken to bad plot breaking moves as "Deus Ex @ss", pulling god out of your @ss:D
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I used to play WOW on the server, Twisting Nether, ( a RP/PVP server). The funny thing was that, despite it being an RP server, I ran into many people who thought RP = Raid Progression !?! I was fortunate to have been in 2 role-playing guilds though. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think creating this guide was a great idea. I went threw like 5 lvl 50 toons on COH until i realized that its considered distasteful to make overly powerful characters. I also never even knew that you dont talk about RP to characters who are in character. I remember now that i used to compliment guys who would remain in character through out the mish and I pretty much broke all the rp rules without even knowing.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    t0ebis wrote: »
    I think creating this guide was a great idea. I went threw like 5 lvl 50 toons on COH until i realized that its considered distasteful to make overly powerful characters. I also never even knew that you dont talk about RP to characters who are in character. I remember now that i used to compliment guys who would remain in character through out the mish and I pretty much broke all the rp rules without even knowing.

That's when you say your character can break the 4th wall, that way you're actually still IC. :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    AWESOME guide to RP

I even gained more understanding in relation to IC & OoC when RPing rather than plain writing anything
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What is it called when you OOC IC? I feel it's a more effecient system.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Absolutely great... I think I will start roleplaying properly after CO is released... (roleplaying in WoW=impossible, practically impossible)
    This guide also taught me some things I didn't know such as... I gotta read it again -.-
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    t0ebis wrote: »
    I also never even knew that you dont talk about RP to characters who are in character. I remember now that i used to compliment guys who would remain in character through out the mish and I pretty much broke all the rp rules without even knowing.

t0ebis: Here, I think the RPer needs to bend a little. I've encountered some serious problems with RPers who never speak OOCly, and after running a RP guild for some time, I wouldn't accept anyone with whom I can't speak OOCly. Not everything can be resolved IC. Getting to the point, I don't think you did anything wrong complimenting those RPers on their costumes and continuing to talk to them OOCly. You were having fun your way, they were having fun their way - neither of your "funs" were more important than the other. I'd hope those RPers at least responded to you OOCly.

Pathstalker: Great guide! Definitions of powerplays and godmoding can change by the player or by the group and I personally think you got the right definition for godmoding. It's always been likened to someone who turned on the invincibility cheat in a game and then congratulated themselves for beating it. Not cool.

We define what Rune described as "powerplays".

I'm very pleased that you included an admonition to respect fellow RPers and to be open-minded to differing playstyles. I may not agree with all RP types, but it serves no purpose to be rude or disrespectful. I think you should also add, however, that RPers should be respectful of non-RPers, also. This should be something that never needs to be said. Unfortunately, it's not.

My supergroup in another superhero MMO has laid out some guidelines focusing on being respectful and easy-going, if you want to look at them for inspiration for future sections. They don't benefit from the wonderful guide you're written here and would by no means attempt to replace anything; our guidelines assume fore-knowledge of RP and go from there.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    darn lol no superman rule lol
    sucks for me my charecter Sentinel is a Kryptonian/Viltrumite(if u read the cominc Invincible u know them) hybrid lol
    but i will prob try to roleplay nvr did it before
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thank you for the guide. It clears up alot of questions I've had about RPing. I'm definitely planning on trying out RPing when the game launches as forum RP has be really fun.:D
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Even though I've been RP'ing for a while (another forum), this guide actually managed to teach me a couple things. It's very well put together and necessary for RP newbies. Kudos to you.

I've never actually RP'd in an MMO before though. Too concentrated on leveling and completing missions I guess. So it's just forum RPs for me. But that's just fine by me, unless you could tell me advantages and such with RPing on MMOs.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    All I can say is... wow. This was extreamly well written and laid out. I just hope more people will rp in champions then they did in the city of games.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    good guide! I never Rp'ed much but I think ill give it another shot
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ty good guide, I RP'ed in wow and had alot of fun but I wasnt sure on how they where gunna do it in this game.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nicely Written and Well thought out Guide...
    Even if a Couple of my Characters kinda Break some Tenants of it....
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Good thing about CO is that it takes place in a world not unlike ours. Therefore your charachters can use references to real locations and things. Making roleplaying much simpler then trying to get into a mindset of a fantasy world where things have a tendency to need alot of background checks like. "Where do paladins get their power from" and "How do they light the city up at night?"
    Where as in a modern setting most people know how a lamp works, what an ipod is.

Good guide ^^
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    EXCELLENT guide to roleplaying. This thread has laid out in a few posts what had taken me the better part of '99 to learn the hard way in roleplaying chats and message boards. I really wish something like this had been around when I'd started; it would have saved me a lot of headache and would have served as a handy reference guide.

The best part about this, I think, is that it plants the concept of roleplaying into the minds of CO players who might not have considered that approach before. I'm really hoping there will be a roleplaying atmosphere in CO -- and heck, the MMO is based on a tabletop RPG, so there'd better be some roleplayin'! Just saying.

Personally, I think RP is tailor-made for an MMO. I mean, sure, there's really nothing wrong with level-grinding up to the maximum level as quickly as possible and making every character epic ... but I have plenty of offline games in which the entire point is to get from one end of the game to the other. An MMO's free-roaming and interactive nature allows for players to explore the world and other characters at their own pace, and to see the game world through their characters' eyes.

On COH, my highest-level character is level 31, and between my alt-itis and my general disinterest in power-leveling, that toon may not make it to top level any time soon. And that's just fine with me, because I can roleplay with other players, and when that gets boring I can go on missions and level up my character (and even then, I tend to run through missions IC as much as possible). When that gets boring I go back to roleplaying. To me, the experience is much more rewarding than simple level-grinding that way. Some people are just fine with going through the missions and grinding to max level, and that's fine with me. But I'm less likely to mind how repetitive grinding can get in an MMO, as long as there characters to RP with who bring their own creativity to the experience. There's a limit to the MMO's content; there's no limit to what the players themselves can come up with.

Keep the pointers coming.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I love this guide. I humbly offer my advice to add to it.

My rp tip:

Avoid "This character is just like me". These characters don't usually have a personality, just a catalogue of your ideals with the lack of urgency or emotion that comes with chat. (Ever tried to interrupt, scare, intimidate someone in unmoderated text rp? You end up trying to kill each other with walls of text) This is how Mary Sues or Godmoders are born. You don't want anything bad thought about or done to you, so how could you let anything happen to a loose representation of you? This means if you are able to surround yourself with all the money, power, knowledge, and beauty you can imagine, then you will do so. (But with a tortured past. Always with a tortured past)

If you're not experienced with making character personalities off the cuff, model it after someone you (personally) know. (For best results, never tell them) It can be someone you love, hate, are infatuated with, or simply admire.

Try making a hero out of someone you don't like, or a villain out of someone you really do. Let them grow into their own seperate character through play, because the point of a story is for characters to change, and eventually they start to grow on their own.