test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Aerial Ape & Dino

h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
I'm having some trouble finding people interested in this ingame, so I figured I'd put up a forum post in case this reaches people who might want to give it a try. Lately, I've been having fun staying in the air while fighting ape and dino, and think it would look great to have a few people to fly formation with while doing this. I think a lot of people just assume travel powers aren't usable in these fights, and I'd like to clear that up through this post.

Requirements
  • A fast flight power, preferably jet boots or jetpack. Normal speed flights leave less wiggle room.
  • A 100 ft range attack, preferably not self-rooting. 50 fts can work but lose a lot more time moving in and out.
  • Knowledge of the battle mechanics
  • Willingness to trade away damage in exchange for looking cool

For Ape, the nail is on his slam attack. This is avoidable by being outside of the slam radius at the moment when the damage is attached to you. I like to be safe and start flying for distance as soon as the lava pools disappear, making it outside the bubble by the time the wireframe comes up. It is safe to go back into the wireframe as soon as he raises his arms in the air. A side benefit here is that since the damage isn't attached, no lava pool will form for you by doing this. Additonally, by flying away early, we can re-enter the battle at non-combat speed along with higher flight stage.

For Dino, the nail is on the green bubble. It is a lot harder to predict than the ape bubble, but can still be consistently avoided. The best positioning I've found is max range above the Dino's head, which is safe from breath attacks and tail attacks. From this point, when the green bubble comes up, we have to move up about 10 feet and hold block. What happens here is that the nail effect radius is smaller than the green wireframe bubble (approx 80% of the bubble size), while the damage radius is somewhat larger than the bubble. After the blocked hit, it is safe to drop back down to max range and resume attacks. Yellow circles (stomp, roar) are blocked normally. It is a bit boring to stay at max aerial range though, since its largely the same as max ground range. I like to mix in some dives, and sometimes get caught out of position by the green bubble. Not really a big deal though, block and turn the flight power back on in 3 seconds.

Anyway I hope this is useful for people who want to try something different. Shoot me a message ingame at a cosmic if you wanna try out the formation flying. We'll probably keep it something simple like sweep left side to right side.