test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Endgame expectations of you

omnius#0640 omnius Posts: 204 Arc User
edited December 2021 in Champions Online Discussion
With the recent influx of new people (welcome by the way!) I'd like to mention a few things that have been somewhat problematic very recently.

Gear, or lack thereof. You can kit yourself out in mod-able blue primaries and blue/purple secondaries for a couple hundred gold on the AH easily, and slot R5 mods. If you don't have enough gold to do that yet, you're not ready to show up to cosmics either. The more people who don't care and come anyway, the worse those cosmic runs become to succeed. Please be courteous and don't "leech". An easy primer into gear can be found here

Builds. Use the builds and roles subforum here, and consider joining the CO Discord. A properly effective build from you is an asset to endgame content. I'll be blunt here: a 'fun casual theme' build that can't dps or heal worth a damn isn't an asset, and IMHO has no place doing cosmics or other equally difficult content. This isn't anything shocking or new to any MMO.

Mechanics: Endgame bosses need certain things to be done by everybody. If you're just showing up without at least taking the time to learn them, you're not only being discourteous to everyone else there, you're being a liability. Take the time to search, ask, read please. I would start here and with some searching you can also find guides for lairs like this one.

Pro Tip: save the annotated images from those on your phone or something to use as a quick reference!

Lastly, there's a chat channel in the game called CO Endgame with plenty of helpful people who are trying to help new people doing endgame content properly for everyone's sake I highly recommend you join.

Unholy Consult | Pantheon | Lazarus Frost | Sword Saint | Gammatron | Blackguard | Imperator | Sardaukar | Risen Osiris

Comments

• zwipezantherzwipezanther Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Thank you for stating this.

Also, keep in mind the symbol above your head determines what role you will be expected you to play.

If you have a shield above your head, you will be expected at the very least to soak for the main tank, or stand on the side platform at Kiga, ready to take over in an emergency, keeping your threat under Main Tank's. If you have a cross above your head with Compassion as your toggle, you will at the very least be expected to have sufficient AoE healing for Kiga and Ape, and a 100 ft heal for Baby tank during the Dino encounter.

If you're not ready to soak or heal at a Cosmic level, that's OK. Let everyone know that you're new/don't know what to do/undergeared, etc. BEFORE we start. Many people are glad to give pointers or even switch characters beforehand to help you heal/tank. Or (if you have one at level 40) switch to a Melee or Ranged Damage character instead. Get a feel for how the encounters go, then bring your Tank or Support toon back when you feel you're to take on the responsibility of tanking or healing.

But please don't be that tank in the DPS pile, or that healer DPSing with a tier 2 power at Dino because your heals can't reach Baby tank. People WILL notice you, and not in a good way.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    We LOVE new players at end-game content.

We LOVE new players announcing that they are new to end-game content.

We LOVE to offer advice, suggestions, build help, where to stand, when to block, when to attack, etc for all players.

We are not so enamored of players showing up at end-game content thinking that they won't be noticed for being NEW. We will.

Please let us know if THIS encounter is new to you. WE LOVE TO HELP.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    If you are a new player and have even seen this thread please leave a commnet.

Truth be told, there are some very longtime players who should know better but still show up to dino with dps that always finish in the bottem quarter of the charts, no matter what. I am always thankful for the OP dps and OP supports who carry those others.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • xanchaxancha Posts: 1 Arc User
    hello i just got my Free Form Char to lv 40. She uses all electric powers set (i got her for rng dps btw) i use rec, end, and con for het super stats. i just bought some blue primary modable gear. working on trying to find some deesn't secondary gear from AH but not finding any so far, i do have around 150 gold. i like the advice givin in this post. i do want to start doing end game stuff with her but im not ready yet. i hope to see more advice here soon
  • hello new player here. and yes that was me in tank spec not standing to teh side of Kiga. I have helped kill all the cosmics and it is a lesson in block timing for sure. getting into a group or a super group/guild seems to be a real issue in this game so far. I am a good tank or healer in every game I play and look forward to gaining more experience here. Yes, I have read the posts. No, they dont help until you actually experience the game content in person. I have had several players reach out with very helpful tidbits and advice both during and after the fights. they have been very helpful. I will continue to learn and grow. gear is an issue at first and a "couple hundred" gold is a huge sum to start with.

my current primary set has 2/3 Remarkable armor pieces (blue with 3 mod spots each). 1 heirloom gear.
    my current secondary set is 3/3 armadillo (for the 25% damage resistance).

I put the best modifications I had into the six slots available to me. when I earn more gold, I plan on getting the 3rd piece so i get the 10 percent bonus questionite too.

I caused a wipe once that I know of. I had my auto attack on at kiga and it shot a dog. oops. I learned.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    hello new player here. and yes that was me in tank spec not standing to teh side of Kiga. I have helped kill all the cosmics and it is a lesson in block timing for sure. getting into a group or a super group/guild seems to be a real issue in this game so far. I am a good tank or healer in every game I play and look forward to gaining more experience here. Yes, I have read the posts. No, they dont help until you actually experience the game content in person. I have had several players reach out with very helpful tidbits and advice both during and after the fights. they have been very helpful. I will continue to learn and grow. gear is an issue at first and a "couple hundred" gold is a huge sum to start with.

my current primary set has 2/3 Remarkable armor pieces (blue with 3 mod spots each). 1 heirloom gear.
    my current secondary set is 3/3 armadillo (for the 25% damage resistance).

I put the best modifications I had into the six slots available to me. when I earn more gold, I plan on getting the 3rd piece so i get the 10 percent bonus questionite too.

I caused a wipe once that I know of. I had my auto attack on at kiga and it shot a dog. oops. I learned.

Very nice example of a new player here.

I'm glad you had a good experience, especially with other players helping you out. Most of the community is very helpful.

I especially love that you acknowledge that you made some mistakes. But, that they were honest mistakes and the community helped you out.

And, wow, I'm heartened by the FREE FREEFORM that Cryptic has given away this year. I believe they did it the previous WINTER event, as well. This gives new players a chance to see the full potential of this game.

Welcome, and HAVE FUN!​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    xancha wrote: »
    hello i just got my Free Form Char to lv 40. She uses all electric powers set (i got her for rng dps btw) i use rec, end, and con for het super stats. i just bought some blue primary modable gear. working on trying to find some deesn't secondary gear from AH but not finding any so far, i do have around 150 gold. i like the advice givin in this post. i do want to start doing end game stuff with her but im not ready yet. i hope to see more advice here soon

Welcome to CO!

If you want advice on builds you can post queries in this sub-forum: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/categories/builds-and-roles

There are many ways to play this game and have fun it, so if you do post there, it is helpful to give an idea of what you are trying to accomplish. E.g. are you ariming to be a dps, tank, healer? Do you intend to do high end game content, or are you just going to do casual stuff? Folks who respond to queries when asked for just an "Electric build," with no other stipulations, will tend to give their best estimation of an end game dps build that wants to place high on the cosmic score board. If you have something else in mind, it helps to state it. Also, you might say something like, you want to do damage, but also have some toughness. There are a variety of ways to address this, from taking Con as a secondary super stat, to taking a 2nd passive to use in a tank role (e.g. your dps build uses Electric Form and your tougher tank build uses Invulnerability), to getting two separte sets of gear (e.g. your dps build would take mods mostly connected to the Form you are using, while your tankier build would likely take some con mods). You can also ask questions there about what gear will be of most help, and where/how to get it. The more information that you can provide will better help those offering advaice a better chance of helping you get to where you want to be.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!