test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Looking for feedback, Heavy Weapons DPS idea

omnius#0640 omnius Posts: 204 Arc User
edited September 2021 in Builds and Roles
I've been toying with adding some Reckless Endangerment for the shield effect. One source from Vicious Descent, and another apply/refresh from the adv in havoc Stomp. But the part that confuses me is the description: "causes 6% of your direct pre-mitigation damage to be applied as a shield". What does that mean? Does it lower my damage by 6% while Reckless is active? Or is that just the amount of shield I get but has no effect on my overall DPS?

The thought behind this is that I could lunge in to get the Reckless shield applied and then do my regular Eruption+Arc of Ruin routine, and then refresh Reckless with Havoc Stomp as needed (since Vicious Descent's CD is about as long as Reckless lasts on its own). The takeaway from this is that I'm losing Shockwave, which clumps up larger groups of mobs WAY better than Havoc Stomp, so I'm not sure if that extra Reckless refreshing is worth it considering most of my important AoE buffs/debuffs are 10'. The knock-to range of Major Impact is pretty crappy. I'm kinda feeling that my enrage stacking will also be slower with less enemies being knocked...

Next question is about the Work it Up advantage on Vicious Descent. Does that Heal over time effect interfere in any way with the heal over time from Endorphin Rush?
Anyway here's the idea, it's basically what my current build will be except Shockwave is traded for Havoc Stomp

HW DPS - Freeform (Melee Damage)
v3.44:37

Super Stats
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Devastator (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
Level 6: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 12: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 18: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
Level 21: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Bludgeon
Level 1: Eruption (Magma Burst)
Level 6: Enrage (Giant Growth)
Level 8: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Pulverizer
Level 14: Arc of Ruin (No Quarter, Wildfire)
Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2)
Level 20: Annihilate (Rank 2, Scorching Blade)
Level 23: Havoc Stomp (Major Impact, Reckless Endangerment)
Level 26: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Antagonize (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Vicious Descent (Work Up)
Level 35: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Fiery Embrace
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Tornado Flight

Specializations
Strength: Swole (2/3)
Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
Strength: Brutality (2/2)
Strength: Juggernaut (1/3)
Strength: Overpower (2/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Upper Hand (2/3)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Devices
Unholy Consult | Pantheon | Lazarus Frost | Sword Saint | Gammatron | Blackguard | Imperator | Sardaukar | Risen Osiris

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    But the part that confuses me is the description: "causes 6% of your direct pre-mitigation damage to be applied as a shield". What does that mean? Does it lower my damage by 6% while Reckless is active? Or is that just the amount of shield I get but has no effect on my overall DPS?
    Yea, it just means that ~6% of the dmg you deal also gets put up as a dmg shield on you. It doesn't subtract your dmg by that amount (thankfully).
    Next question is about the Work it Up advantage on Vicious Descent. Does that Heal over time effect interfere in any way with the heal over time from Endorphin Rush?
    Any of the Restoration-styled HoTs you get from special advs on certain powers (Stim Pack, Work Up, etc) will not interfere w/ separate HoTs like BCR or ERush. That said, ERush and BCR in particular do share a cd w/ each other.

Anyways, Havoc Stomp vs. Shockwave is just up to you (I actually kinda like the Stomp's 20ft pull-in pbAoE adv, but Shockwave w/ pull-in adv is indeed quite good). Also, Eruption can refresh Reckless as is, so you can use that to more easily maintain Reckless stacks (if that matters to you). Enrage stacking shouldn't be that different, either way, since Enrage can only stack once per proc, procs have a ~4 sec icd, and you only need to attempt to knock at least one target for a proc to register.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    omnius#0640 omnius Posts: 204 Arc User
    Perfect!
    Unholy Consult | Pantheon | Lazarus Frost | Sword Saint | Gammatron | Blackguard | Imperator | Sardaukar | Risen Osiris