test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help updating an old Sterga Lawless build (Fiery Fists Melee)

rhymere#3035 rhymere Posts: 486 Arc User
edited March 2021 in Builds and Roles
With foxbatcon coming up I have been wanting to try to get the invisible weapons 4 years in a row. I've been wanting to try out this build but its terribly out of date. Any help updating it while still keeping the powers would be great!

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=11&n&d=11340000000Q3O0B000BA03GH03G600IC00J503QG03GF03DP03IG04EI047G002D04QJ0010gw3T3B3V76

Comments

• rhymere#3035 rhymere Posts: 486 Arc User
    Here's my attempt at updating it myself:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
    v3.44:36

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Wrecker (Str: 10, Dex: 8, Con: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Hawk's Talons
    Level 1: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Thunderbolt Lunge (Essence Assault, Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 8: Guard (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 17: Earth Splitter (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Open Palm Strike (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Trail Blazer)
    Level 26: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 29: Enrage
    Level 32: Lock N Load
    Level 35: Whirling Dragon Strike (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Fiery Embrace
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Blazing Speed (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Stoic Flight

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Brawler: The Glory of Battle (1/3)
    Brawler: Penetrating Strikes (2/2)
    Brawler: Ruthless (2/2)
    Brawler: Flanking (3/3)
    Brawler: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Devices
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    The build is a bit.. weird, at least in terms of its power combinations- which is why I assume that the original build's attacks were chosen mostly off of the theme/look for specific animations. The updated build could work out okay, though Open Palm Strike (OPS) is not that ideal as a main attack here (esp w/ its KB effect and lack of debuff support for Crushing dmg). The build's AoE is also a bit sketchy, since OPS and Earth Splitter are pretty narrow AoEs, and the Ult & Fire Snake have cds. Also, TReverb scales more w/ End than w/ Rec (Pulverizer + Rec SS is another potential option). I would also consider R1 LNL to be pretty low priority to keep, if you want to free up a power slot for something else. You could also consider paring Vindicator spec w/ Brawler for the crit% boosts (or just go for Wardicator or Warden + Guardian).

There's many ways to mix MA and Fire, and to a degree you don't even necc need to dip into Fire for a 'burning fists' theme these days, since Unarmed has many Chi Flame-related effects baked in for many powers. But if you just wanted to try to recreate the original build out of curiosity, then have at it, I guess. I wouldn't say that it's a very efficient build overall, but it can still be functional.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • somerandomkid500somerandomkid500 Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Hi, kinda new around these parts and kinda not at the same time. If I remember right, Sterga was one of those players that made builds using a bizarre mix of powers that played awkwardly if you were to use them yourself. Anyway, the original build was supposed to be a Super Strength/Fire "punchy" build. The issue is, as Flow pointed out, the AoEs are vary narrow and it might be easy to find yourself in a bind when putting the build into play.

Melee Fire DPS - Freeform (Melee Damage)

Super Stats
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Samurai (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Throw Fire
    Level 1: Thundering Kicks (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Thunderbolt Lunge (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 8: Fiery Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: One Hundred Hands (Rank 2, Flaming Fists)
    Level 17: Incendiary Grenade (Chemical Burn, Scorched Ground)
    Level 20: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Trail Blazer)
    Level 23: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 26: Absorb Heat (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Immolation (Blazing Body)
    Level 35: Form of the Tempest
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Devices

This revise may not be what you had/have in mind when it comes to theme, but I personally feel that its a "safer" alternative. I've used this particular build myself in-game and found myself enjoying it a lot.

I recommend opening with Incendiary Grenade in order to apply both Clinging Flames and the Crushing Damage debuff thats awarded through the Chemical Burn advantage. This will also kick your Energy Unlock into overdrive since you'll be standing near targets that'll have Clinging Flames applied them, especially given that you're a melee character with this particular build. 100Hands is your main AoE and through the Flaming Fists advantage, you should find yourself with plentiful energy to keep your recycling your attack rotation without any interruption.

Beware of Absorb Heat though if you're to use it as it'll consume the stacks of Clinging Flames you've applied if you ever need to use it. You can always swap this for the typical Conviction though if need be, but with a build such as this, I personally think Absorb Heat is better imo given that you'll be constantly applying the effect anyway as its coming from at least three sources (100Hands, Fire Snake, & IncendGrenade).

This is also my first time giving build advice, so Build Masters please go easy on me! \*-*/
    Main OC: Glitch - Conduit of The Network

“I put a 'Glitch' in your system!”
    edited April 2021
    This is also my first time giving build advice, so Build Masters please go easy on me! \*-*/
    No sweat, cause the build looks pretty good. Main issues atm are that Fiery Form won't buff Unarmed's Crushing or Dimensional dmg, and the build lacks a stronger single-target attack atm. For Unarmed, that'd be either w/ BCF or DU, though OPS isn't too bad there either (obv less single-target dps, since it's still an AoE, but it's a runner-up). You also mentioned using 100Hand's CFlames adv, but it's not been taken on the posted build. Here's how I may edit it, trying to keep most of the powers in:

Melee Fire DPS - Freeform (Melee Damage)

Super Stats
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Samurai (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Vicious Strikes
    Level 1: One Hundred Hands (Rank 2, Flaming Fists)
    Level 6: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3, Silent Running)
    Level 8: Form of the Tempest
    Level 11: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 14: Incendiary Grenade (Chemical Burn, Scorched Ground)
    Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Dragon Uppercut (Rank 2, Dragon Rush)
    Level 23: Absorb Heat (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Smoke Bomb Lunge
    Level 29: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Trail Blazer)
    Level 32: Immolation (Rank 2, Blazing Body)
    Level 35: Fire Shield (Rank 2)

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (2/3)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Warden: Upper Hand (2/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

I swapped TKicks for DU, so you have a better single-target dps option available. The grenade is a bit odd for the theme, but it is very nice for the build mechanically, so I kept it in. 100Hands can be the main AoE filler attack, while charged DU is the main single-target attack, and the Grenade should be used in either case for debuffing and for TReverb (and you can also throw in the Fire Snake, if ya want). Gears mostly for Dex, w/ some Con and End (and some cost discount on gear).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Just to note, you can really use any melee power and consider it a fire/flame attack (at least in part) since there are many hand and foot auras that could look like fire. Don't obsess to much about having a "fire or flame" attack in your list of powers. My Chi MA tank is using Blot aura to get his flaming iron fist look.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • somerandomkid500somerandomkid500 Posts: 79 Arc User
    flowcyto wrote: »

I swapped TKicks for DU, so you have a better single-target dps option available. The grenade is a bit odd for the theme, but it is very nice for the build mechanically, so I kept it in. 100Hands can be the main AoE filler attack, while charged DU is the main single-target attack, and the Grenade should be used in either case for debuffing and for TReverb (and you can also throw in the Fire Snake, if ya want). Gears mostly for Dex, w/ some Con and End (and some cost discount on gear).

Yeah theme wise Grenande is odd, but the other alternatives can be Annihilate with Scorching Blade advantage or Arc of Ruin with either No Quarter and/or Wildfire adv tacked on from the HW tree. I guess in the end it all depends on if you want the attacks to look more "agile" or "super strong". Dragon Attacks also work well too. And with plenty of fire auras and plenty of fire-like in-game making a flame-y punch build shouldn't be too hard to create, visually that is.
    Main OC: Glitch - Conduit of The Network

“I put a 'Glitch' in your system!”
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Not a leveling build. Didn't log in to test this. It probably works. Tanky DPS, but you could go all in on Strength and damage stuff if you want to with some minor changes. I'd shoot for around 400 Str on tanky dps with the rest in Con.

Flaming Fists Remaster - Freeform (Any / Multiple)

Super Stats
    -OR- Dex for all in damage.
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    change Con to Dex if you go that way.

Level 1: The Devastator (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Mighty (Str: 8)
    Level 9: Enduring (Con: 8)
    Level 12: Tireless (Rec: 8)
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 18: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Pulverizer
    Level 6: Enrage
    -OR- Whatever you want to use. Antagonize is my fav.

Level 11: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Arc of Ruin (No Quarter, Wildfire)
    For that stupid buff thing and easy knock down. Or put the Wildfire points elsewhere.

-OR- Dragon Uppercut. -OR- Annihilate if you want to actually use a HW. I recommend a baseball bat.
    Really don't know how OPS does for damage. It's probably fine if you don't care about being a min/max pro/compensating for something/try-hard player. Or it could be garbage.

Level 23: Vicious Descent (Work Up)
    Damage shield and healing. You can use a different lunge and move the points elsewhere though.

Level 26: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    I believe this scales with Con, so pick a different heal if you go Dex.

Level 29: Indestructible
    -OR- Whatever Active Defense you want. That one in brick probably works too.

Level 32: Aggressor
    -OR- That one under martial arts if you went Dex over Con.

Level 35: Devastating Strike (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    -Or- Whatever Ultimate you want.

Level 38: Impressive Physique (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    -OR- Whatever you want.

Travel Powers
    Level 35: Flight

Specializations
    -OR- Dump Jugg for Overpower if you went Dex.

Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited April 2021
    ^ Yeah I like that update to the build, Sterga, and the extra details and options given. The AD in Brick is Indestructible, so maybe you meant PA's Unbreakable (I'd prob just take Resurgence, but Indestructible is fine too). For leveling, one could always take a combo early on (like Beatdown or Defense Combo + pummel, if using Enrage) and just train out of it when you can get the other attacks in the lvl 14-20 range or w/e. I may exchange Vind's Offensive Expertise for the single-target or AoE crit options, but that's a pretty minor change overall. Also, Endorphin Rush can scale w/ Con and Rec, so yea it could be okay here.
    Really don't know how OPS does for damage. It's probably fine if you don't care about being a min/max pro/compensating for something/try-hard player. Or it could be garbage.
    I'd say that OPS is alright as a single-target attack (it has similar base dmg to BCF, but a longer charge time and no built-in Chi Flame on charge). Not ideal, but you can do okay w/ it, as long as you either work around the KB on trash via building knock resist, or just don't mind it. It also helps that you have a Crushing debuff in there to boost it a bit more.
    Thanks Sterga that's exactly what I'm looking for. I tried out the build a couple years ago without invisible weapon and it was just amazingly fun to play with the animations and such!
    Minor Update. Still not a leveling build. Forgot how expensive Impressive Physique is. You could still use it if you want to, but a Str/End/Rec stat build would probably be much better for that. If you want Str/End/Rec or Str/Dex/Rec instead of using Con, you can simply stat dump into Str. You can actually do that taking Con too, depending on how much durability you would like to have.

Super Stats

Talents

Powers
    -OR- Whatever Block you want.

Having a knock here is kind of nice for Pulverizer, but not needed. You can just tap if you don't care about disorient.

Really anything that is punchy/crushing and knocks up/down is good for your AoE. CF is just some free damage for your build, but not actually important if you don't want to take Absorb Heat.

-OR- Dragon Uppercut -OR- Annihilate
    This is your single target power. Spam full charges. I guess Haymaker would work, but the animation is ew. Anything punchy/crushing and knocks that is a tier 3 power can go here. Just make sure your target is knock immune / will die from the fall if you use a knock back in team content. Most bosses usually are immune anyway.

-OR- Whatever lunge you want. Reckless can also be applied with Earth Splitter. This is just a nice opener with the small heal over time, but the cooldown is longer than most other lunges. Mighty Leap is also fun, but doesn't have the HoT.

Level 26: Warmth (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    -OR- Whatever self heal you want.

Level 29: Indestructible
    -OR- Whatever AD you want.

Level 32: Immolation
    -OR- Whatever AO you want. This just fits for the flaming part of the build. Cost Discount. Clinging Flames. Not really sure how useful AOs are anymore. I guess you could take whatever you want here.

Level 35: Devastating Strike (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    -OR- Whatever Ultimate you want that doesn't require non-Enrage form stacks. In terms of flashy: Whirling Dragon Strike or Bullet Barrage are also pretty. Invisible Weapons skins preferred.

Level 38: Absorb Heat (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    -OR- Whatever you want. I don't know if this eats just your Clinging Flames or everyone's. If you apply CF with Earth Splitter and keep Wildfire on Arc of Ruin, you should have at least one stack (does CF stack?) of pity heals for other people.
    Impressive Physique can still work with Str/End/Rec. Or a self rez. Or a threat wipe. Entrancing has a fun blow kiss animation or Magician's Dust to throw dirt around.

Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    -OR- Whatever you want as long as one is R3. Athletics/Acro is cheaper in terms of cost prices.
    Level 35: Flight

Specializations
    If you go Str/End/Rec or Str/Dex/Rec, dump Juggy for Overpower. Well, you can do that even if you take Con if you don't care about defense that much.

Depending on what power you pick for "single target", you could go with Focus Strikes or Mass Destruction instead of Offensive Expertise.

edited April 2021
    Yea, Impressive Physique is quite costly; prob something you only want to use as a situational power if you take it here.
    -OR- Whatever you want. I don't know if this eats just your Clinging Flames or everyone's. If you apply CF with Earth Splitter and keep Wildfire on Arc of Ruin, you should have at least one stack (does CF stack?) of pity heals for other people.
    Afaik, CFlames is one stack, but it can stack more between multiple players, and Absorb Heat only uses your own CF.
    Thanks again Sterga, I've been having a blast with this build and I love watching the mobs flip about!
    so after playing a bit and finding my "style" plus taking suggestions and not having devastating strike, I changed the build a bit:

Super Stats

Talents

Powers
    Level 26: Warmth (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Immolation
    Level 35: Bladed Fury (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Ninja Leaves (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Power Skating

Specializations
    You're welcome. I'm glad you're having fun.

I believe Bladed Fury's damage scales with Focus stacks. But it will give you that extra little bit of debuff with shredded and can proc Enrage + Pulverizer. If you like it for theme/fun, might as well keep it. You could put it as the last power after you pick everything else and put points into all of the other stuff in case you change your mind or another cooler looking Ultimate comes out.

I'd probably put the last two points into Vicious Decent > Relentless to pancake enemies. And that procing enrage/pulverize thing, but mostly for pancakes. Or the other travel power if you like to use them both. Or where ever you want.