test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PA Dual Role Tank/DPS [Help Request]

torduvidetorduvide Posts: 23 Arc User
edited November 2020 in Builds and Roles
Hey all, I'm currently working on a PA Dual Role Tank/DPS build. I've tried a few iterations, yet so far the two best, at least for DPS, are as follows.

https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=36&n=&d=15830b8QXia50M3070910096059E009F0599039I0358001L008O01NC03NK019O039L01JA030CLK0EB6438W10000000000&e=

and

https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=36&n=&d=15830b8QXia50M3070910096059E009F0599039I0358001L008O01NC03NK019O039L01JA030CLK3T3B438W10000000000&e=

Basically the difference is the first uses avenger-guardian while the other uses warden-guardian. After parsing multiple times I seem to be able to do about the same DPS regardless in my ranged DPS role.

Those aren't things that I'm trying to stick with, just my best attempts so far.

However I'm not really happy with what I've come up with. I'm having slight energy issues in DPS, so I can only imagine I'll have larger ones as tank. After every three-toggle PA volley I end up having to use the EB for four or five hits in order to be able to re-do my volley. I'm wondering if there's a way to keep from having to use my EB at all and if there's a way to do better DPS than the measly ~3.2k I'm doing in all blue merc primaries and all r5 ego mods + the basic purple no-mod SCR secondaries that give ~52 ego and 20 end in total.

I considered stacking INT instead of EGO and replaced END with Int, while that gave me a noticeably higher crit rate I did have less sev and still ended up doing about the same DPS and still had the same energy problems.

I'm trying to follow Kamo's DPS guide and throw (almost) all my stat points into whatever my toggle and my primary support for damage increases and so have switched between concentration and chilled form in order to switch between ego and int for my stat focus yet neither gives what I need to keep off my EB.

Is there any way at all to accomplish the dual role Tank/DPS thing here with PA or am I sorta dead in the water? Right now the EU and the toggle just don't provide the energy I need to keep from having to awkwardly switch to my EB after every volley. Help and advice in this matter is extremely appreciated, thank you for your time.

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Toggle-based PA tanks generally aren't recommended because having to block constantly can greatly interfere w/ their functionality (since attack toggles have a delay before they start dealing dmg), but I suppose it also depends on the content you run and how important blocking will be there. And yea, energy issues are even worse as a Tank, but that's mainly if you're not blocking hits often (and ofc that creates a sort of conundrum for PA toggle tanks). You could always use something like Power Conversion to help w/ energy in general, either way, though you'd have to mind the small dmg/heal penalty and make room for the power.

You'd prob want Challenge advs to help tank anyways, but that can be cumbersome for a build that may also sometimes want to just dps. All things considered, I'd prob just forgo the normal tanking plans here. You can still keep it as a dual passive build if you want to have the option of going into the Hyrbid role w/ a defensive passive, though. Adding a threat wipe and just committing to dps can also be a good option, esp for very high-dmg builds like PA, but it's up to you on how you want to approach this.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,077 Arc User
    (Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
    v3.44:36

Super Stats
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1:
    Level 6:
    Level 9:
    Level 12:
    Level 15:
    Level 18:
    Level 21:

Powers
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Concussor Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Eye Beam (Rank 2, 20/20 Fission)
    Level 8: Chest Laser (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Sparkstorm (Electric Personality, Challenge!)
    Level 14: Defiance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Power Conversion
    Level 20: Reconstruction Circuits (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Masterful Dodge (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Chilled Form
    Level 32: Overdrive
    Level 35: Targeting Computer
    Level 38: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Jet Boots

Specializations
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Tough (3/3)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Unrelenting (2/2)
    Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
    Protector: Resolute (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Initiative (2/2)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
    Mastery: Protector Mastery (1/1)

Devices

This is my character, Search and Destroy.

He's fair at Cosmics, where he can soak at Dino and Ape. He has Main Tanked Kigatilik. Needs help to Main Tank at Ape.

Sparkstorm keeps your form stacks up while blocking or even if you are standing at range as it seems to proc the Form even if nothing is hit. However, with this being his only Challenge power, it is more difficult to keep aggro from other tanks unless he is able to fire all 3 toggles. But, you can put Challenge on one of the PA powers too.

At all other event content, as a tank, he is awesome. I say it this way: The more I'm hit, the better I git. With Defender Gloves and all 3 PA powers going and tank stance, I rarely had some other tank pulling aggro off of me during the Bloodmoon Event.

And, as a dps, he even ranks high at Cosmics and Events even though I'm only getting +13% per stack from Dex in the Form and r1 Targeting Computer.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I guess the big question is if you intend to tank in a group setting, or if you just want a tanky/tougher 2nd build? Having a full set of Justice Gear with R7+ mods and slotted for cost reduction will help.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    torduvidetorduvide Posts: 23 Arc User
    I thank you all for your feedback! What Flowcyto said is about what I was starting to figure. Generally speaking I was planning on doing most group content as DPS and doing things like APs and the like with friends as the tank and just generally having a more robust build to solo more difficult content, Jaazaniah.

Thank you warcanch for your build, definitely appreciate that. Looks interesting, probably gonna give it a try, should probably work for what I'm shooting for.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    In general you can just run APs as a dps. Main-tanking with toggles is an enormous hassle, but off-tank builds work okay (you can OT with an Invincible). I'd probably have invulnerability and reconstructive circuits if doing that, though.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Here's a slight modification of my TA dps/tank dual passive PA character. He can solo the QWZ just fine, but I wouldn't tank cosmics with him. He uses Justice Gear, with R7 mods, but if you are willing to give up some damage to be tougher you could get Distinguished Gear. Chest beam is in there if you want to grab aggro or if you don't care that you get aggro and just want the debuff. If you want to be yet more tanky you could pick up a Defender Glove OSV secondary and use that in your tank build, and use some other offensive secondary when you dps. You have range of options depending how much you want to farm or are willing to pay for stuff.

Dr. Harlem 8 - Freeform (Ranged Damage)
    v3.44:36

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Psychokinetic (Dex: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Dual Wrist Rocket Barrage (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Mini Gun (Rank 2, U-238 Rounds)
    Level 8: Micro Munitions (Rank 2, Alpha Strike)
    Level 11: Overdrive
    Level 14: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Reconstruction Circuits (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Toxic Nanites
    Level 23: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Concentration
    Level 29: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Phalanx Defense System)
    Level 32: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Sonic Device
    Level 38: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Challenge!)
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Jet Pack
    Level 35: Power Skating

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!