test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kiga (and maybe ape) cc tips and tricks

Kiga (and maybe ape) CC tips and tricks

Hi all -

I've been doing CC for a while now, and while this may not exactly end up being a comprehensive guide, I was inspired to share at least some tips and tricks I've found while doing *many* kiga (and ape) runs. Some of the advice also comes from others I've picked up over time.

I am VERY happy to see more dog CCs lately! Just to get that out of the way.

So - you've been tired of standing around waiting for a dog cc to show up, and have a freeform (or maybe a Mind AT - they can do it too but it's obviously not as flexible on the build) sitting there waiting for a respec. Or a fresh 40. I would NOT advise trying to level a kiga dog build, they are way too specialized.

You should probably have at least one support passive for extending your CC duration with Pre, and may want a tank passive for the Phase Two pull. As of this writing, all the support passives (still) use Pre.

Can you dog CC with minimal gear? Yeah, I think so - assuming at least all r5 mods in your gear. My minimum entry level now for new 40s at cosmics are either relevant blues (offense/defense primary), with a Q store Merc helmet, or just all Q store Mercs. They are easier for most people with freeforms to get than Heroics, and IMO, skip Heroics and save up for Virtuous/Justice/Distinguished, depending on your role and preferences and tolerance for Rampages.

I can usually hit the sweet spot of 520 primary / toggle stat with r5s and purple secondary gear from the AH, if you haven't earned much SCR yourself.

My dog cc is in full Distinguished for the +defense boost. Topped out at 617 pre, with a Cosmic Vision of Wrath / Superstat core r5; Cosmic Vision of Wrath with an r5 Control Core, and Q store Vigilante Bolstering Bracers (44 Pre). The OV secondary defense item would be marginally better but it wasn't worth the time investment for me as I can successfully do P1 and P2 with self-pulling.

I initially had Ego Blast with Mind Opener for a bit of damage, but have stuck with Entangling Mesh for easy Manipulator stacking.

The build I'm running now - I don't see much to change, but might swap out Grasping Shadows for a Revenancy Device to take something else (like Ego Blast):

https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=33&n=Tilly Donaldson rebuild&d=16370nQZO000061000G000GB00GC00G703G50GGL04MG03L4097B036201ML03MC03ER03G1042tf40dM70EBB10G1Q1Z0000&e=

Tilly Donaldson

rebuild - Freeform
(Any / Multiple)
v3.44:36

Super Stats
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)
Level 6: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
Level 9: Prodigy (Pre: 5, End: 5)
Level 12: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 15: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
Level 18: Survival Training (Dex: 3, Con: 3, Pre: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Psi Lash
Level 1: Manipulator
Level 6: Telepathic Reverberation
Level 8: Ego Sleep (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Mental Leech (Challenge!)
Level 14: Ego Storm (Rank 2, Malevolent Manifestation)
Level 17: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Grasping Shadows (Rank 2, Consumption)
Level 23: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Taser Arrow (Rank 2)
Level 29: Arcane Vitality (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Aura of Radiant Protection (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Masterful Dodge (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Entangling Mesh
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
Level 35:

Specializations
Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
Presence: Dominion (2/2)
Presence: Grandeur (1/3)
Presence: Brilliance (1/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Presence: Vulnerability (2/2)
Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
Sentry: Fortified Gear (2/3)
Sentry: Precise (2/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Stalling Tactics (3/3)
Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

Devices
Slot 1: Psionic Accelerator
Slot 2: Elder Worm Humidity Dome
Slot 3: Experimental Artificial Life Injection
Slot 4: Phoenix Tear

Can you survive the self-pull on P2 in entry level gear with r5s? Yeah probably, if you have:

Masterful Dodge (MD) rank 3.
Any R3 block of your choice - I use Eldritch Shield but this is really up to you
Bionic Shielding rank 3 (preferably)
a +HP consumable (Until or VIP lounge or other if you have it)
possibly the Experimental Artificial Life Injection device (100k at the Q store)

And either AORP or a defensive passive. *Maybe* with other support passives but I haven't tried it personally with those. Theoretically +HP, MD, and Bio Shield will be enough on its own.

Some suggestions for use.

For Phase 1 - Kiga won't snipe you. This makes it much much easier. However, you can't really do your full job without an experienced dog walker, preferably with an interrupt. The dog walker needs to interrupt the howls, or else the dogs will wake up, probably whack you, and then run wild. Thing is, you should be able to fix this once or twice, if you have Ego Storm.

But, if people keep waking the dogs for whatever reason, eventually, if the mix is up to it - just let the group zerg.

It's ideal to do P1 one dog at a time, but that doesn't always happen.

After doing it a while, however, if zerg happens, zerg happens. I don't worry about it.

P1 - just get through it somehow.

Phase 2 - this is really why you're here.

If you need a tank to pull, getting the dogs situated is actually harder with a Psionic Acclerator, and takes some practice. You can only practice on live, and the P2 Kigasniping is not something you'll be used to until you do it.

Ideally, you'll end up between roughly the second and third set of pillars, hopefully out of range of being tombed. Don't pull them back TOO far or they'll just reset anyway.

My run-up routine includes, stacking to 8 with Manipulator, then confirming the tank is ready. After the latest ego storm, around 10s recharge, I pop the 30s +HP device; about 6 seconds or so, Bio Shield + Masterful Dodge, then run in and Ego Storm, and block.

I personally still follow the rule of stay out of Team Up as the CC.

Once all four dogs are under, which can take a bit if one is slow, I immediately fire off Ego Sleep. Wait for all 4 to cluster around you / Ego Storm, but then fire it off and block again. Also note - I've tried running around pillars. If everyone else is actually toast (due to tomb or breath or whatever), he can snipe behind pillars, which is what it is.

Then settle in and keep the dogs under.

I fire off Mental Leech when it's up, to 3 stacks of dependency and some score. I bio shield when it's up. I mostly block via toggle block, except when about to bridge. I sometimes harmonize the sleeps - meaning, you can resleep them while sleep is ticking. It will NOT get you extra duration. However, it sometimes gets all 4 dogs to the same amount of time remaining, even though in doing so I lose a few seconds here and there. Keeping them syncronized is Very Important to keeping them under. It will redo Sentinel Mastery.

I use Grasping Shadows as a bridge, some use Electrocute or stuns. I've found the charge paralyzes to work for me, so that's what I'm using. Only Ego Storm (or PA) can reset the dogs, but I hope to not have to. I bridge at 10s remaining, as a bumper against server issues.

This requires *enough* duration from +CC and specs and PRE. I believe my regular sleep is 2 minutes, but hold resist always eats that during the bridge.

If you use a damage stun like Thunderclap, it can insta-wake them, but I think will still have a hold resist ticking from the stun. I haven't tested that personally.

People who've been doing this a long time often run up to the platform, but I find I need to refresh Manipulator, keep my shields / leech up, and that watching the timers really requires a lot of concentration, so I don't run up to the platform.

Please feel free to add other tips/tricks/strategies as you wish!

Comments

• jin#6625 jin Posts: 14 Arc User
    With the exception of rewording some things, this is one of the better tutorials on a build that I have come across, along with a little on how to use it. Most just tack up skills and leave the rest to you. Which is fine, but as a player who is just coming back and never really did Cosmic's (or a newer player) and the like before, the extra little knowledge goes a long way.

The mention of gear and *Device's* is an added bonus for some of us who don't really get into that part overly much. For me I do better with a starting point like this and then go play and see how it works for me, the extra info gives a jump start to the overall ordeal.

Thanks for the help in game today Tilly, along with the links to this post and the character build, I've already implemented it. Besides some devices I am good to go. Thanks Again...

Silk
    A.K.A. Trace Magus
  • zwipezantherzwipezanther Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Just read through the guide and looks like you covered the basics. Thank you for the nice write-up.

Just wanted to share a little tip I learned from the veteran CC'ers: Whenever you attempt to sleep the dogs, press and HOLD Ego Sleep down until it goes off on its own. This is to ensure that the power covers the full diameter that it was intended to, and reduce the chance of it missing one of the puppers.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Ego sleep has a radius of 0-15' depending on charge time, so yes, you want to full charge on dogs. A tap works on most targets, though a few targets (I recall this being a problem with old Eido orbs, don't remember if it affects hearts) have an offset between where the game thinks their center is and where their hitbox is and you have to partially charge.
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    For Ape hearts, you're good with a tap for Sleep.