test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Politicians

Hey there!

I’ve made a character who is into politics and I was seeing if there is lore on politicians’ views who the character may disagree with. Thanks!

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    I'm guessing you mean American politics -- if you want something from other countries, please specify. ;)
    Note that this post contains plot spoilers for the characters described.
    The political figure heroes are most likely to run afoul of is Senator Phillip Glassman of Wyoming. Sen. Glassman's daughter was a casualty of a super-battle in New York in 1997, and ever since Glassman has relentlessly crusaded to more vigorously restrain and neutralize superhumans. A four-term senator (as of 2010), he's also an influential and outspoken advocate for the Institute for Human Advancement, although it's unclear whether he's aware of its full genocidal agenda. (Sen. Glassman's abbreviated write-up is in Champions Universe p. 160. It's revealed in the adventure Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth that other politicians are fully complicit members of the IHA, but they haven't been named.)

Senator Arthur Bolton of New York is a popular, charismatic, and powerful member of both the Foreign Affairs and Paranormal Affairs committees of the Senate. He's also secretly a member of VIPER's governing body, the Council of Thirty. Bolton can use his committee influence to manipulate foreign aid to various governments, persuading them to follow policies favorable to VIPER. He can exert budgetary influence over the activities of PRIMUS and UNTIL, hamstringing or distracting them from anti-VIPER operations. Bolton also effectively leads VIPER's Political Division, which covertly employs bribery, blackmail and extortion to advance government policies beneficial to VIPER and promote politicians under their control. (Look for Sen. Bolton's background in VIPER: Coils Of The Serpent p. 31.)

The most prominent superhero-turned-politician in America today is Representative David Sutherland of Maryland. As the superhero Invictus he built a high profile and very positive reputation, before entering politics. He maintains good relations with various superheroes. Sutherland created a foundation, the Century Corps, to mentor promising young future leaders in politics and business. He's rumored to be planning an eventual run for the Presidency, which is true. But David Sutherland is actually an amoral, self-serving slime who plans to turn America into a modern Roman Empire dominating the world, with himself as Emperor. His career as Invictus was mainly public relations. His good terms with superheroes let him gather sensitive information he can use against them. His Century Corps seeds people loyal to him in influential positions. In Champions Online he's also become the nemesis of Thundrax, the PC hero played by our forum colleague, and major Hero Games contributing author, Scott Bennie. (Invictus is fully written up in Champions Villains Volume One: Master Villains.)

Eric Marburg is the very successful CEO of a prestigious investment firm. He's also become very involved as a behind-the-scenes political mover. He promotes politicians who seek to dismantle government's ability to regulate big business. Marburg's support almost guarantees a candidate's success, not only through his wealth, connections, and strategy, but also his use of subtle magic. Eric Marburg is secretly Archdruid Airetach, one of the highest-ranking members of the Circle of the Scarlet Moon. Airetach works to bring back the "Gilded Age" of wealthy robber-barons controlling the affairs of the world, and dreams of accumulating enough power to become the undisputed leader of the Scarlet Moon. (Archdruid Airetach is written up as part of the description of the Circle in Champions Villains Volume Two: Villain Teams.)

There are a few other political figures mentioned in various books, but these are the most notable and fully described, and most likely to provide opposition to PC heroes.
    Post edited by bulgarex on
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure Mayor Biselle is a Menon-class telepath. That's the only logical explanation for his tight grip on MC politics ;) He's never lost an election. Heck, he's never even been challenged.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited July 2020
    It's not unheard-of for mayors of major cities to become practical fixtures at their posts, e.g. Richard Daley of Chicago from 1955 to his death in 1976; or Hazel McCallion of Mississauga, Ontario, who served from 1978 until 2014.

But Calvin Biselle is described in the Millennium City source book as being very politically ambitious, and if Hero Games had continued to publish Champions Universe books he undoubtedly would have run for higher office by now.
    On the other side of the coin, the Congressman for the district containing Millennium City is Representative Mark Ayen, a former fire-fighter who got into politics out of a genuine desire to make people's lives better. (Yeah I know, but in a world of comic-book superheroes idealism isn't out of style.) :p Although zealous over reducing government spending and balancing budgets, Ayen strongly advocates for causes ranging from public safety to aiding small business to improving schools. As a Lennie from one of the hotbeds of superhuman activity, Ayen was interested in them and got himself assigned to several Congressional committees dealing with supers. He's thus come in contact with many superheroes, and is generally sympathetic to them, making him a good Washington contact for heroes.
  • kjames91kjames91 Posts: 186 Arc User
    Thank ya'll for the info!
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 737 Arc User
    Given that Detroit is a literal hell hole with all the craziness going on, it seem like Calvin Biselle is the only one willing to run for mayor every year.
    Real-world Detroit is sometimes described as a hell hole. Millennium City, built over the Dr. Destroyer-caused ruin of old Detroit, is more like designed by Walt Disney. ;) It's post-modern, prosperous, dynamic and optimistic, proud to be called the City of the Future.
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 737 Arc User
    Despite the fancy name, I'll still call it Detroit since it still a hellhole. Having your city constantly get wreak by Destroyer's robot, DEMONS, lemuricans, a french stripper, a dysfunctional couple, a literal zombie apocalypse, and a bunch of militia doesn't really shout City of the Future.
    Hey, you ever hear about any of those things happening in the past? :p
    Anyway, all of that stuff is an unrealistic MMORPG construct to give large numbers of random players something interesting to hit whenever they feel like it. I find it less stressful not to take everything we see in CO too literally. ;)
    I do wish there was a world progression on where you defeat destroids or DEMON they do disappear. Something similar to ESO.
    When I've discussed with other PnP Game Masters about introducing some of the political controversy the United States is currently going through into their games, I've suggested substituting David Sutherland, above, for Donald Trump as current POTUS, for those who don't want too much real-world controversy.
    Oh man... “I could use Defender as a supporter... it’s gonna be HEWGE!” Haha. I’d imagine him saying that.