test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Electricity/Might DPS (and Arbiter Mastery discussion)

wtbcreativitywtbcreativity Posts: 43 Arc User
edited July 2020 in Builds and Roles
Hey, all. I'm back with another... experiment? Self-imposed challenge? I've been trying to make a build that uses Vindicator Mastery (and not just the tree) because no one ever seems to, even though it means weird statting to take full advantage of it. I guess I'm just contrary that way. :grin: I know it's not the easiest thing to mix melee and ranged powers effectively, but I took my best stab at with an ST/AOE split. I suppose I could also swap between melee/ranged roles in combat, but with the long-ish cooldown on that I'm not sure that it would be worth it.

Electricity/Might DPS - Freeform (Melee Damage)
v3.43:35

I also had an alternative version where I used Electrical Siphon instead of ERush for the self-heal. Not sure which would be better, given that this build doesn't have the greatest Negative Ion uptime:
Powers
Level 1: Electric Bolt
Level 1: Beatdown (Rank 2, Reckless Endangerment)
Level 6: Enrage
Level 8: Stormbringer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Pulverizer
Level 14: Ball Lightning (Rank 2, Triplicity)
Level 17: Electrical Siphon (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Haymaker (Rank 2, Reckless Strikes)
Level 23: Electric Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Post edited by wtbcreativity on

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Since Vind Mastery is subject to DR, it's not really that worthwhile on a dps build. You can mix Might w/ Elec's Sparkstorm toggle adv and Ball Lit, though, and in quite a few diff ways. Can also use Elec's lunge, for the heck of it. Here's an example, building upon what you have:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Melee Damage)

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Rockstar (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
    Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Electric Bolt
    Level 1: Beatdown (Rank 2, Reckless Endangerment)
    Level 6: Enrage
    Level 8: Stormbringer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Sparkstorm (Rank 2, Electric Personality)
    Level 14: Pulverizer
    Level 17: Electrical Siphon (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Haymaker (Rank 2, Reckless Strikes)
    Level 23: Ball Lightning (Rank 2, Triplicity)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Lightning Strike
    Level 32: Electric Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 29/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (1/3)
    Strength: Overpower (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (2/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

The last few powers can be w/e ya want.

Keeps Sparkstorm's toggle and Ball Lit running in the background, while you can use Beatdown as a basic attack and cleave/AoE. Haymaker can be used for single-target dps, and Beatdown can apply/refresh Reckless for it. Gears mostly for Str, w/ some Con and Rec. Could also throw Demolish (w/ knock adv) in there, if you want it's debuff for longer fights.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Since Vind Mastery is subject to DR, it's not really that worthwhile on a dps build.

Ah, does it? That explains why no one uses it, then. Good to know.

I think I'll keep the ult and the self-rez and call it a day, then. Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Yea, the innate Ego/Str bonuses to ranged/melee are on the general dmg bonus DR, and that bonus is also soft-capped at 70 Ego_Str (after which it only gives about one quarter of the benefit, per point), and Vind only gives a third of that to boot. The mastery can still work okay in limited cases like this, but generally it's not going to give that much benefit.

Regardless, hope you like the build 8)
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    I tried to make Vinidcator master work too... once you get there the numbers are pitiful. They should rework it a bit, but I do not think they will ever touch the specs (they did some minor changes once I believe).

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I tried to make Vinidcator master work too... once you get there the numbers are pitiful. They should rework it a bit, but I do not think they will ever touch the specs (they did some minor changes once I believe).

Yeah, I was hoping it would be in a different damage layer or something because it's such weird statting to work around if you want to maximize it. Guess not!

Anyway, I'm reviving this because I decided to go in a different direction after playing around with the first build a bit. With all the lightning flying around, I was already halfway to being a Sith and I'm really bad at original characters, so screw it. I'm going Electricity/Laser Sword now. Unlimited power, etc.

Electricity/Laser Sword DPS - Freeform (Melee Damage)

The skill layout is mostly the same, just with different Superstats and LS skills swapped in for Might. And on the subject of Masteries that provide diminishing returns, I decided to skip Dexterity and Warden in favor of Arbiter. I don't know that Arbiter Mastery plus Electrical Siphon will make a huge difference, but having mained a healer/OT all this time, I know I appreciate it when DPS provide a little group utility of their own.

Other than that, does it look OK?

EDIT: Screwed up the link. Should work now.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Well, the problem w/ Arbiter Mastery is that you have to be using the combo often to get the most out of it, but for more optimal single-target dps you'd want to be using Lume Slash as much as energy allows here (well, that and Sentinel Mastery is just the stronger Mastery-based heal atm, and that could be put up w/ a melee stun). The Mastery can still be okay for healing other melee units, and assuming you want to try something a bit different, but it'll depend on how much you value the minor ally healing in group content, and what you want your normal rotation to be. You may end up generating more energy w/ Ionic Reverb, either way, assuming you can keep Ball Lit and Sparkstorm up (ofc, you can always test it in a PH in-game). You may also want your other travel power to grant a form of flight.
  • Options
    superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Arbiter Mastery scales off your health, so the healing is nicer if you focus a lot on it (CON or END PSS) and/or Tank role.
    Also, as a general note, you definitely want a combo that you like to use a lot, instead of one that you use as a starting point, so a Tank that wants to build threat with the combo might be interesting...

Just as an addition to the discussion (since it's a build thats very different from your initial desires):

Sword Arbiter - Freeform (Tank)

Super Stats
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Protector (Str: 10, Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8)
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Con: 3, Int: 3)
    Level 9: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
    Level 12: Survival Training (Dex: 3, Con: 3, Pre: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
    Level 15: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Reaper's Touch
    Level 1: Reaper's Caress (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 6: Cut Down (Delayed Attack)
    Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Deflect (Rank 2)
    Level 14: Form of the Swordsman
    Level 17: Dragon's Bite (Cull the Weak, Dragon Rush)
    Level 20: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Swift Strike
    Level 26: Intensity
    Level 29: Unbreakable (Unchained)
    Level 32: Reaper's Embrace (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 35: Whirling Dragon Strike (Rank 2, Rank 3, Commanding Presence)
    Level 38: Steadfast
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Flight

Specializations
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (2/3)
    Constitution: Tough (3/3)
    Constitution: Deflection (1/3)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Arbiter: Enforcer (3/3)
    Arbiter: Ruthless (2/2)
    Arbiter: Rend (2/2)
    Arbiter: Concussion (3/3)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
    Protector: Resolute (3/3)
    Mastery: Arbiter Mastery (1/1)

Devices

• Options
    edited July 2020
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Well, the problem w/ Arbiter Mastery is that you have to be using the combo often to get the most out of it, but for more optimal single-target dps you'd want to be using Lume Slash as much as energy allows here (well, that and Sentinel Mastery is just the stronger Mastery-based heal atm, and that could be put up w/ a melee stun). The Mastery can still be okay for healing other melee units, and assuming you want to try something a bit different, but it'll depend on how much you value the minor ally healing in group content, and what you want your normal rotation to be.

Yeah, it's a little bit of trying something I don't normally use, but also because I didn't think Sentinel was a good pick in a single passive DPS build that has only one healing power. I also spend most of my time lately playing Alerts (i.e., AoE spam to the boss), which is the playstyle I had in mind when designing this. I don't like bringing my oddball builds into harder content. :sweat_smile:

You may end up generating more energy w/ Ionic Reverb, either way, assuming you can keep Ball Lit and Sparkstorm up (ofc, you can always test it in a PH in-game). You may also want your other travel power to grant a form of flight.

I'll try it out Ionic Reverb later today. You're probably right about it working out better overall. Also, I guess it's a good thing I have a hover disk. Can't really imagine a Sith with standard flight or a jetpack/jet boots.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Alright, well it should do fine in Alert-level content, but yeah testing for energy is a good thing to make sure the build works pretty smoothly in practice, at least.
    Arbiter Mastery scales off your health, so the healing is nicer if you focus a lot on it (CON or END PSS) and/or Tank role.
    Also, as a general note, you definitely want a combo that you like to use a lot, instead of one that you use as a starting point, so a Tank that wants to build threat with the combo might be interesting...
    Yea that's a good point too. It's prob going a bit too off-topic now, but it may be fun to try a Tank build w/ Arbiter Mastery. Maybe I'd use TKicks, cause it's one of the fastest combos, and then one could take adv of the dodge buff w/ something like BCR/RR + Gifts. As an example:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Tank)

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Master (Str: 8, Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Con: 3, Int: 3)
    Level 9: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 18: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Boomerang Toss
    Level 1: Thundering Kicks (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 6: Lightning Reflexes (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Form of the Master
    Level 11: Steadfast
    Level 14: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki, Gifts of the Storm)
    Level 17: Dragon Kick (Dragon Rush)
    Level 20: Shuriken Storm (Rank 2, Floating Butterfly, Challenge!)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Iron Chain (Demolition, Rampant, Challenge!)
    Level 29: Smoke Bomb Lunge
    Level 32: Parry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Aggressor
    Level 38: Devastating Strike (Commanding Presence)
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)
    Arbiter: Concussion (3/3)

For SS setups, CON/Dex/Rec_Str could also work fine here (w/ Aden Rush and Deflection or Armored), though it'd be less overall dps/threat. END/Con/Dex (w/ Hardened and Gear Util) could also prob be worked around.

Iron Chain can put up Demolish (and potentially Reckless) and still proc the Mastery, since it's a combo as well. As the build is heavily dodge-based, but w/o being 100% dodge, I prob wouldn't bring it to serious content (where you have to block more anyways, reducing the Mastery's relevance). But it should be fine for most Alert-level stuff.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Nah, it's not off-topic at all! I'm the one who brought up Vindicator and Arbiter Masteries in the first place. :tongue:

Anyway, what about something like this?

Martial Arts/Telekinesis Hybrid - Freeform (Any / Multiple)

I prefer Int as the third SS because it doesn't diminish in tank role like Recovery/Endurance and I like the CD reduction when I'm running two ADs without Protector Mastery. I also went with Telekinesis because Ego Weaponry has the Siphoning Strikes adv, so I'm getting that heal in addition to Arbiter Mastery. The rotation would be something like:

AoE: tap Telekinetic Maelstrom (for Ego Leech stacks + Challenge) > Ego Blade Frenzy x1 (for Dependency) > spam Ego Weaponry
    ST: tap Telekinetic Maelstrom > Ego Weaponry x3 > Ego Blade Annihilation
  • Options
    I would still prob take Rec SS there, since TK Reverb scales w/ it, and you can get some cost discount on gear to help w/ energy costs. Since ADs and AOs were changed/nerfed to have their shared cd match their base cd, you don't really need >1 AD anyways, unless you want to be able to choose between a mitigation cd or Resurgence on the fly. Here's an example edit of it:

Martial Arts/Telekinesis Hybrid - Freeform (Tank)

Super Stats
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Kinetic Darts
    Level 1: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Siphoning Strikes)
    Level 6: Mental Discipline (Id Blades)
    Level 8: Lightning Reflexes (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Ego Blade Frenzy (Rank 2, Instill Doubt, Challenge!)
    Level 14: Telekinetic Reverberation
    Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki, Gifts of the Storm)
    Level 20: Ego Blade Annihilation (Rank 2, Mental Acuity, Challenge!)
    Level 23: Masterful Dodge
    Level 26: Telekinetic Maelstrom (Expansive Intellect, Challenge!)
    Level 29: Ego Blade Dash
    Level 32: Telekinetic Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 38: Ego Blade Pandemonium (Leave a Mark)
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Hover Disk
    Level 35: Acrobatics

Specializations
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Deflection (3/3)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Protector: Unrelenting (1/2)
    Protector: Defensive Expertise (2/3)
    Arbiter: Preservation (1/2)
    Arbiter: Enhanced Gear (2/3)

Gears mostly for Con, w/ some Dex and Rec.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Was hoping to keep the dual passive, but I guess I shouldn't be trying that with all the build resources you need to sink into making a proper dodge tank. And yeah, I had Master of the Mind as a mitigation AD in case I needed it instead of Masterful Dodge.

Anyway, this looks better. Thanks!
    Post edited by wtbcreativity on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    You can go for a dual passive build, but then you may have to be a bit careful drawing aggro when dps'ing w/ all of the Challenge advs. And yea, MD is a mitigation cd overall (rng-based, unless it puts you past 100% dodge, which it should here), but here it's also bit of a self-heal cd since it'll ramp up procs of BCR/RR when you get hit. I prob would take that over MotM- since MotM puts both ADs and AOs on cd, and precludes getting another ult.