test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sidekick System - Nemesis Expansion Idea

kingpin0000kingpin0000 Posts: 68 Arc User
Nemesis Spoilers Ahead...

Requirements:

- Reach level 35. (Because you've got a new TP & you're finally feeling legit.)
- Defeat your first nemesis. (Final Mission)

Start Mission:

At level 35, you get an email from [insert champion] about new heroes looking to become your sidekick after you defeated & locked up your first nemesis. You meet [champion] in Renaissance Center near the new Sidekick Terminal/Database (replaces the 2nd Nemesis Terminal found in RC) and they have you interact with it to create your ideal sidekick.

Just like creating a nemesis you select a power framework(preset) & color, followed by a role(Tank, Healer, or DPS) & a personality type such as Boy Genius, Loyal Soldier, & Rebel Ward which all simply decide flavor text (different ways of saying the quest related dialogue), then design their costume as you would your own or a nemesis.

Note: Sidekick roles would in theory work the same as roles do for players: by giving boosts and/or reductions to values like threat generation, damage, & healing. Ideally, all of the power frameworks would come with a generic support heal or two. Something like "First-aid Kit", a Gadgeteering power that applies a HoT on an ally or self while temporarily increasing damage resistance.

Once you've created your new sidekick, as expected, some incident or crisis breaks out & the two of you are the only heroes nearby. You meet your new sidekick at the location where you must figure out working together on the fly while stopping the bad guys & rescuing civilians. It would basically play out like the first nemesis mission you get. You get a meet up scene where your sidekick introduces them-self & comments on getting to work with you. The two of you then focus on the mission. Your sidekick will say personality related stuff about meeting you and working with you as you fight just like normal NPC dialogue.

After you've completed the mission checklist & saved the day you get a cut-scene in which your sidekick mentions how something doesn't feel right about the situation & how they don't think it's really over. They decide to do some investigating on their own & will inform you of any leads by email so you can investigate the case together. Ultimately, the investigation will reveal the involvement of your old nemesis (randomly selected from those defeated) & Dr. Destroyer's Legion of Villains. New missions would ideally work more like Serial Story Missions, wherein you complete the mission then must wait a set amount of hours before receiving a new notification email about the next mission.

Rewards:

- Nemesis Tokens
- Call Sidekick command. (Summons your created sidekick. Access it from right-clicking your hero image. Same sub-menu that lets you change costumes & go to your active hideout.)

*This sidekick would work the same as a controllable pet. No time limit & won't take up a device slot or power slot, but causes increased energy cost & reduced energy generation. Also, you can only have one at any given time. Like with your nemesis, you can edit your sidekick's power framework & color, costume, and current role at a Sidekick Terminal/Database. Upon completing the entire quest-line you can also dismiss your current sidekick from the Sidekick Terminal/Database allowing them to move forward as a full-fledged hero (possible cut-scene), then create a new sidekick, or just choose to restart the quest-line with your current sidekick.

Final Mission Reward:

- Unlocks Ultimate Power use for your sidekick. (Accessible via Pet Hotbar. Each power framework option you're given when creating your sidekick would have a preset ultimate.)

Comments

• kingpin0000kingpin0000 Posts: 68 Arc User
    This is a re-post. Seemingly, if you edit a post 3 or 4 times in a short enough time frame it'll get flagged for approval & immediately taken down. Given that it's already happened to many of my post attempts in the past, I'm pretty sure it won't come back up for whatever reason like all the others so I'm posting it again. The previous version was actually a re-post after the first attempt was taken down in the same fashion & never came back up days later or since the re-post. Sorry if your previous comments got deleted with it.
  • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
    This is a re-post. Seemingly, if you edit a post 3 or 4 times in a short enough time frame it'll get flagged for approval & immediately taken down. Given that it's already happened to many of my post attempts in the past, I'm pretty sure it won't come back up for whatever reason like all the others so I'm posting it again. The previous version was actually a re-post after the first attempt was taken down in the same fashion & never came back up days later or since the re-post. Sorry if your previous comments got deleted with it.
    An issue I've faced numerous times with my "suggested framework" threads. I feel you. :( The idea is great, all-and-all!
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    given the only thing they've done for the ACTUAL nemesis system recently was a horribly buggy alert and minor minion powerset changes (which did nothing to solve the sheer OPness or uselessness of several of them)...don't expect anything like this to ever be adopted

it's a fairly good idea - it just has less chance of being implemented than a water or plant powerset, which is another thing which has been frequently requested and is also unlikely to ever see the light of day​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Horribly buggy? .-. I wasn't aware that the alert I've been farming consistently since its release was horribly buggy o3o huh
  • cannotdenycannotdeny Posts: 23 Arc User
    I absolutely love this idea. Coincidentally it could also increase sales for costume pieces and auras when people want to create a sidekick, thus giving the money grubbing Chlorfors a raisin to implement it
  • dicious#0640 dicious Posts: 1 New User
    I just want the game for xbox, why ignore a market that is literally drooling for anything superhero?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Xbox 360?
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I just want the game for xbox, why ignore a market that is literally drooling for anything superhero?

The game was originally planned to be on consoles, so they didn't ignore that market, it just stopped being feasible.

Would modern console audiences really be excited at news that a ten year old mmo that most people have never heard off is releasing on their console?
  • spinnytop wrote: »

The game was originally planned to be on consoles, so they didn't ignore that market, it just stopped being feasible.

Would modern console audiences really be excited at news that a ten year old mmo that most people have never heard off is releasing on their console?

They would have to do some serious marketing. It would involve a revamping of the game and investing in it. Giving us a villain mode, offering the three expansions as part of the deal and marketing it as intended which was "Make your own super hero or villain." I made a post about how I think with current game limits they can give us a villain mode, albeit it's a work around. It involves the player given a device at level 10 that essentially in role play terms makes the world see them as a villain. You as a villain can do Grab and the resource alerts as the villain. You pick your henchmen from the Nemesis system and you take down a random Champion or hero. There's also a PVP version where players can fight against each other - one team of villains versus a squad of heroes. This will give PVP some new life and provide players the ability to create new characters some of which may have PVP builds considered or even characters that exist to play this role.

I didn't say burst alerts because in my thread part of the role play is that the magic gem doesn't accommodate the increase in power you receive in Pyramid Power or Radiation Rumble while still allowing your character to change back. The being who gives you the magic gem to become a villain temporarily also has a special store where you can use tokens you earn as a Villain and buy mods, costumes, power unlocks, etc all kinds of stuff as sort of an interdimensional specialty store. Oh and this being offers this whole experience as a daily mission. You can access the store at any time but you can only play the bad guy once a day (well you only receive the gem once a day the experience lasts for five hours of game time).