test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ice Demon Lore

Are the Ice Demons created by Kigatilik, or are they a subset of demons like the fire demons that DEMON summons?

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    It's not clear whether Kigatilik fashions his ice demons, or brings them to his location from somewhere else. Either or both are possible. There's no shortage of varieties of demons in Champions lore, from many traditions; but the precise nature of the ones which serve Kigatilik haven't been defined in the PnP books, other than Tilingkoot. At different points in Kigatilik's entry in Champions Villains Volume One: Master Villains, his demonic servants are described as "summoned," "conjured," or "controlled," which can imply one or the other. OTOH that entry points out that these creatures always reflect Kigatilik's powers and motivations in some way, so they might indeed owe their existence to him.

FWIW I would suggest going with whichever origin works for whatever background/history/plot you have in mind. It's unlikely anyone truly in the know will come along to tell you you're wrong. :)
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    Awesome thanks. I was reading the Master Villains section on Kigatilik, but couldn't find anything definitive about the Ice Demons. Just wanted to be sure before I started working on the bio I was going for.
    Glad you found that helpful. :) BTW in case you hadn't seen this thread, it has a couple of data bits related to Kigatilik that might also be of use to you: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1213962/how-much-does-mankind-know-about-the-imaginal-realms
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Some of the names used for them make the ones seen in CO seem like they might be creations.

Like this one is named "Spirit of Corruption" IIRC.

BUT, she works for Tilingkoot, not directly for Kigatilik.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    When I look at CO overall, I get the distinct impression that the devs are more concerned with style and coolness than lore consistency. ;)
    edited February 2020
    Some of the names used for them make the ones seen in CO seem like they might be creations.

Like this one is named "Spirit of Corruption" IIRC.

BUT, she works for Tilingkoot, not directly for Kigatilik.

Tilingkoot is known as "the Demon of the Lost," because in Algonquin myth he leads travelers in the wilderness astray with confusing darkness and deceptive illusions. Tilingkoot and Kigatilik come from different cultural traditions, but are allied due to their mutual desire to cause suffering; although Kigatilik is much more powerful, and his schemes are more epic.

The nearly-mindless giant ice monster Glacier (Champions Villains Vol. 3) is believed by some mystics to be a magical elemental being, perhaps a sort of devolved god; but no one knows for certain. It was captured in 2002 and confined to Stronghold, but escaped in the 2009 breakout and fled north, not seen since. Since there is no official origin for Glacier, there's nothing to say you couldn't tie it to your own concept.