test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Egypt in the Grand Scheme of Things

I have another regional inquiry!

Much like Hudson City and Faerie, I've put some considerable time into looking up Egypt's role in the Champions Universe and... unfortunately... have come up a bit short. Ancient Egypt certainly plays some role in the canon, seeing as how many of the Egyptian Gods are spoken of in some context. I've gone through the lore primer, with a fine-toothed comb more or less, and only found mentions of Dr. Ka, Necrull, and Anubis (the villain) as well as the gods Osiris and Set.

While I am curious of modern day Egyptian's presence, I am more specifically focused on Egypt itself, which mythologies apply, and the magical abilities of the setting.

For personal context: I've created an Egyptian character whose family lineage has long involved some form of mystic power. Is this a reasonable origin for an Egyptian hero? If not, how would it best be changed?

Thank you all for your time, patience, and provided information. I hope you guys enjoy explaining this lore as much as I enjoy absorbing it.

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoy it. :)

I realize you're on a budget, Speanoz, but if you have a general interest in the lore of the Champions Universe as set out in the PnP books, I would recommend picking up the book entitled, appropriately enough, Champions Universe at your earliest opportunity. It's like Scott Bennie's lore primer on gamma-powered steroids. ;)Champions Universe provides the broadest coverage of the lore of the setting, dealing at least to some extent with almost every subject related to the CU, including substantial information found nowhere else. Other books (there are literally dozens of them) focus on particular topics in greater depth, so are worth getting if you want to really delve into one subject; but this one is the foundation of the official Champions Universe that the others build from.

As far as modern Egypt goes, as you apparently surmised, many but not all of its superhumans have a magical background. The classical Egyptian pantheon is most active there, and the country holds numerous sites of mystic power, notably the Pyramids and the Sphinx. Besides the supers you mentioned, others with a connection to Egypt's occult tradition include Ma'at, an avatar of the Egyptian goddess of justice and truth; a superstrong energy-projecting hero called Pharos; the Living Sphinx, a monstrous beast-man with a hunger for magical beings; and an undead "mummy" assassin with terrible powers of death magic, known as The Curse. (Note that some of these beings spend much of their time outside of Egypt, particularly in the United States.)

DEMON has long coveted Egypt's mystic sites, but has experienced repeated setbacks in establishing Demonhames there for unknown reasons. OTOH VIPER has a major Nest in the Cairo region, called New Karnak. UNTIL also has a regional base at Cairo, and that city has the most active and diverse underworld on the continent. Its local criminal gangs include members who may rival some superhumans in their deadly skills, and/or hire mercenary supers for various "jobs."

Egypt has laws requiring all superhumans to register with the government, but in practice doesn't actively pursue obvious heroes who don't register. However, registration is usually the price for government cooperation or assistance, and any hero not officially sanctioned by the Egyptian government is legally liable for any damages they cause.

Most of the information about Champions Egypt can be found in Champions Universe, and Champions Worldwide which describes the international super-scene. Feel free to post further inquiries here. B)
    Going back to your initial request for a character background, not only is a family legacy of mystic power tied to Egypt possible, it's been done.

During the late 1930's, the god Osiris imbued an American tourist at the Pyramids with magical powers of darkness. He became the Golden Age superhero, Dr. Twilight. Osiris' purpose in doing so was so Twilight's child would be born with great magic potential, to become the god's champion against Set. Dr. Twilight had twin sons who were tutored in the Egyptian gods' realm by Thoth; but one of them fell under Set's influence and became the sorcerer villain Serpentine, leader of Set's cultists on Earth. His brother became the heroic Dr. Scarab, who fought Serpentine's schemes and ultimately killed him. Dr. Scarab took custody of Serpentine's own young son, whom Osiris also tried to train to be his agent; but the young man rebelled against Osiris' manipulation of his family, and charted his own path as a hero, calling himself Dr. Ka.

If Osiris used one family line this way, he might have tried with others; or another Egyptian god could have followed his example. However, I did think of another kind of legacy from Egypt that might offer your character a different origin path. The following is from The Mystic World p. 60:

Dr. Ibrahim Khalseran: When the Nazis unearthed this Egyptian priest-magician’s tomb, they awoke the mummified priest, who expressed his dislike of graverobbers quite forcefully. He eventually created the identity of Dr. Khalseran and found work in the Egyptian National Museum. Khalseran doesn’t look for trouble, but he protects the museum — and the legacy from his era — with a terrifying array of curses. Mystics who need to learn about ancient Egypt’s magic, including the mysterious Dr. Ka of Vibora Bay, can find no better teacher than Dr. Khalseran.
  • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
    I've heard brief mention of Dr. Scarab before, but that's truly enlightening!

All of your other information is excellent! That will definitely help me shape my character further. I really dig the whole eternal Osiris vs Set battle that has been going on in the Champions Universe. (To my knowledge, it is largely based off of their supposed quarrels in actual Egyptian mythology. Neat!)

My character is a sort of "nature preserver" with some level of power over sand and water. I took great inspiration from the actual gods Sobek and Hapi, who act as the protector and administrator over the Nile River respectively. Since real Egyptian mythology canonizes several deities as fertility gods, I chose those two specifically due to their connections to the very real Nile River. Osiris, however, I feel would still be an excellent inspiration and motivational force for my character. Since his (Osiris') role in the Champions Universe is largely more fleshed out than minor gods like the aforementioned, it'd give my character a more meaningful connection to the lore, I reckon.

I'd like to pick up some of the books, as you know. I have no personal interest or investment in tabletop and would be acquiring them purely for their information, but I still feel that's not a wasted expenditure. Champions Universe and Hudson City: the Urban Abyss are definitely on my radar, though. I also have some interest in Champions Beyond, but know little about the subject aside from surface information. (Perhaps it will be my next inquiry!)
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    Just curious if Isis and Horus play any role in the CO canon since they are the wife and avenging son of Osiris.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Just curious if Isis and Horus play any role in the CO canon since they are the wife and avenging son of Osiris.

Funny you should mention that. :p I just recently noticed a relevant detail in Witchcraft's history from the Champions Universe book. As a result of a 2005 adventure when she, the Champions, and Dr. Ka helped the Egyptian gods prevent Set from having the supervillain Anubis and a group of cultists summon him to Earth, she was rewarded with a new power, the Eye of Horus. The hawk-god himself inscribed the symbol of his Eye on her forehead in silvery light. It’s only visible when she activates the power, which allows her to see things up to four miles away or to perceive any imminent danger. (CU p. 170)

Generally speaking, you can assume any god from any of the mythic pantheons could become involved in Earthly affairs under the right circumstances; although several gods from different pantheons are known to be particularly active on Champions Earth.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    Aw, I was hoping that his wife and son left him because he was such a manipulator and became super villains in their own right.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited September 2019
    speanoz wrote: »
    I've heard brief mention of Dr. Scarab before, but that's truly enlightening!

All of your other information is excellent! That will definitely help me shape my character further. I really dig the whole eternal Osiris vs Set battle that has been going on in the Champions Universe. (To my knowledge, it is largely based off of their supposed quarrels in actual Egyptian mythology. Neat!)

I'm glad you found that helpful. :)
    My character is a sort of "nature preserver" with some level of power over sand and water. I took great inspiration from the actual gods Sobek and Hapi, who act as the protector and administrator over the Nile River respectively. Since real Egyptian mythology canonizes several deities as fertility gods, I chose those two specifically due to their connections to the very real Nile River. Osiris, however, I feel would still be an excellent inspiration and motivational force for my character. Since his (Osiris') role in the Champions Universe is largely more fleshed out than minor gods like the aforementioned, it'd give my character a more meaningful connection to the lore, I reckon.

For that type of character, I have a CU precedent you may find inspirational. A'asifa Rumlia ("the Sandstorm") is a living, aware personification of the Arabian desert -- a mystical manifestation of nature at its deadliest and most inimical to man. "She" exists only to protect and care for the Arabian Desert and its creatures; she cares nothing for man. She periodically manifests when humanity is feeling too full of itself so she can reassert the supremacy of nature's power. She can also be summoned by mystics (though doing so is perilous), and occasionally interacts with gods and other cosmic types.

A'asifa Rumlia has the power to draw upon the full elemental force of the Arabian Desert. She can create huge earthquakes and sandstorms, or hurl scouring blasts of sand. She can mentally move massive quantities of earth and stone and shape them into crude bludgeons or prisons, and pass through the earth as though it were water. She can also transform her own body, which normally seems to be carved from living rock like an animate statue of roughly feminine configuration, into a flowing, spinning mass of sand. As a spirit and personification of nature she's immune to aging, disease and other mortal bodily infirmities. OTOH she can't abide the touch of water; she must pass under, not over, bodies of water, and takes extra damage from water attacks. Her life is also tied to the desert, and she can't leave the greater Middle East region without sickening and eventually dying.
    I'd like to pick up some of the books, as you know. I have no personal interest or investment in tabletop and would be acquiring them purely for their information, but I still feel that's not a wasted expenditure. Champions Universe and Hudson City: the Urban Abyss are definitely on my radar, though. I also have some interest in Champions Beyond, but know little about the subject aside from surface information. (Perhaps it will be my next inquiry!)

Many (although not all) Hero Games books are concentrated vessels of lore on particular subjects. That's why I usually mention the books I draw specific details from in my posts, should people want to read more about their subjects. Any time you want to know where to find more on a given topic, I can point you to where the most info about it is kept. :)

Champions Beyond delves in detail into the space/cosmic side of the Champions Universe, the way The Mystic World treats the magical side. That includes alien races/civilizations/organizations, cosmic entities and artifacts, galactopolitics, and more. Nearly eighty alien sapient species are mentioned, with descriptions ranging from a couple of paragraphs to multi-page chapters. The most attention is paid to aliens who interact with Earth in a significant way -- the Gadroon, Qularr, Hzeel, Malvans, Elder Worm, as well as the Star*Guard. Individual chapters detail their history, society, technology, and notable individuals. The Malvans get the most thorough treatment, due to elaboration of their gladiatorial games, on Malva itself as well as the Forum Malvanum on Earth's Moon. (The Moon is a surprisingly "happening" place.) B)
    edited September 2019
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Aw, I was hoping that his wife and son left him because he was such a manipulator and became super villains in their own right.

Hey, if you read mythology you know manipulating mortals rarely provokes outrage or even irritation among the gods. For many of them it's their favorite pastime.

But that's rather different for the goddess Ma'at mentioned earlier on this thread. She represents the proper order of the Universe in Egyptian cosmology (and hence shares her name with the Egyptian gods' realm in Faerie). When Dr. Ka excoriated Osiris for using his family as pawns -- which moved Osiris not a whit -- Ma'at began to question whether it was in the best interests of mortals for the gods to continue or even increase direct meddling in their affairs; or if the gods should strengthen the Ban and shut themselves away from Earth completely, allowing mortals to chart their own destiny. She created her avatar so she could observe Earth firsthand to make her decision. Along the way, as a goddess of truth, justice, and order, she frequently opposes supernatural evil like most superheroes.

BTW if you want "divine" supervillains, we've got those too. Besides Set, the gods Hecate and Tezcatlipoca have launched multiple major villainous schemes on Earth. Not to mention powerful demonic entities from ethnic traditions around the globe.
    A'asifa Rumlia -- did I get that right...? -- sounds fascinating. There are certainly some parallels that I can draw between her and my own character. My character uses "sand colored" wind powers, quicksand, whirlpool, and even a big blue "soul vortex" for a waterspout. I am very pleased with both her build and thematic execution. At this rate, all I've left to do is flesh out her origin story.... so here I am. :)

You've given me a truckload of information to work with. I'm still torn between working with Osiris or Sobek and Hapi, but I'm really starting to enjoy the idea of throwing Set into the picture as an over-all nemesis.

I've long understood that great deities circumvent the Ban by creating avatars or empowering mortals as a sort of "loophole". Osiris and Set seem to enjoy that especially. Maybe my character's powers can originate from Osiris, Sobek, or Hapi.
    Getting power from Osiris seems to carry a lot of baggage. He has specific purposes in mind for his pawns, and doesn't mind lies or coercion to get them to fulfill those purposes. You might like your character to be channeled down a particular story path like that, and become part of a larger conflict. OTOH there are other official "divinely"-powered Champions who pretty much do their own thing without interference from their patron deities, as long as they work generally to further the god's priorities. That would give you more freedom.

Osiris also can't be counted on to bail you out if you're in a jam. Part of Dr. Ka's outrage came from learning Dr. Scarab was killed by Takofanes in 1994, but the Egyptian gods did nothing to help him.

Ironic trivia: Osiris granted power to Dr. Twilight because Thoth had prophesied a champion of Set would be born who would destroy the world, unless Osiris's own champion opposed him. If that champion was Serpentine, he never would have been born if Osiris hadn't intervened.
    BTW did you want to know more about the super scene in the wider Middle East, or just Egypt?
    It is not pertinent to my character, but if you're willing to divulge... sure, why not? I'm sure it's fascinating and somebody else may use the information. :)
    Weeeell... it's not a simple subject, and pulling the threads from different sources together takes time. I think I'll wait for someone to come up with more targeted questions before I decide to make the investment. ;)
    Perfectly understandable! Thanks again for the information that you have provided.