test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.31.20190510.2 - Weapon Display Devices

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
Devices
  • Added weapon display devices to the debugger. These devices will display a weapon while you are out of combat.

UI
  • The device tray now has hue options to individually color your devices.

Comments

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Devices
    • Added weapon display devices to the debugger. These devices will display a weapon while you are out of combat.

UI
    • The device tray now has hue options to individually color your devices.

A big yes to both of these! Very nice.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Wait it's a Device? Giving up a valuable slot for vanity? Hmmmmmmmm....

EDIT: nvm for some reason I thought it meant "show a weapon on your back" but these show in your hands.

It's a bummer that they turn themselves off when you attack and then don't turn back on once you're back out of combat. Unfortunate that whoever made auras didn't think to make exclusively out-of-combat auras, cause then these could be those.

Tried to break them by rapidly mashing powers and 2 of the weapon devices, no breakies.​​
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Will the Personal Magnifiers make these weapons look big too?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Will the Personal Magnifiers make these weapons look big too?

I tested and yes they do.​​
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    spinnytop wrote: »
    It's a bummer that they turn themselves off when you attack and then don't turn back on once you're back out of combat. Unfortunate that whoever made auras didn't think to make exclusively out-of-combat auras, cause then these could be those.​​

We want these to be easily turned off, so an aura wouldn't fit that requirement.
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    GcoduYy.jpg
    Well this is neat. Now you can dye your device without an obscure command. As for the weapon display device, it a neat gimmick. You can use the weapon skin that you costume save, even if you don't have the power for it. For example, my lazer sword user can use a Broadsword skin from the HW and save it in her costume slot, but she doesn't need to use any HW power for the display device to use. You can also change the color of these weapons with the device hue.
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Nice
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
    Please keep the feedback to what's on PTS. Costume transformation coloring is something we are working on, but this isn't the thread to discuss it.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Holy ************ ********! This is really great. Off to PTS.
    And more Device Slots.
    And now for nemesis weapon skins. pls.....
    Post edited by flyingfinn on
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited May 2019
    Would it be possible to make another version of these where the weapon doesn't disappear when you attack? Like you know... so I can be swinging around a Laser Sword while using TK attacks and what not? That'd be neat! I'm sure I've seen people request the ability to use weapon models from one power set with attacks from another. Or would that just end up with me holding both weapons in my hands? .-.​​
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    TYVM for this cool device that we the playerbase have been demanding for a long while! Though, gee, I must say I'm a bit concerned over the undesireable effects said device might have on the overall game experience if it somehow glitches out and doesn't turn off during combat. I do hope said device is properly and exhaustively tested in PTS before coming live!​​
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Would it be possible to make another version of these where the weapon doesn't disappear when you attack? Like you know... so I can be swinging around a Laser Sword while using TK attacks and what not? That'd be neat! I'm sure I've seen people request the ability to use weapon models from one power set with attacks from another. Or would that just end up with me holding both weapons in my hands? .-.​​

There won't be in combat versions. It would just overlap over the power weapon.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Well, seems like the each weapon devices seem to scale with the toon's size fine. Tested it with the normal Z-store Super Mag. I wonder if it's possible to make rainbow tkblades now. Except it'll be only for CCs and non-combat things.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    I was actually considering making a javascript thing to parse demorecord that would allow players to color devices via copypaste, since (up until now) there wasn't any way to using the UI. I'm glad there's a proper way to do it now instead. :D
    kaizerin wrote: »
    It would just overlap over the power weapon.
    That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. I imagine most people would handle any weapon clipping the same way they deal with costume parts that clip--specifically, they'd take steps to use them with things that don't clip or otherwise look decent enough. Like, if I wanted to use the laser sword device, I'd use it with an imaginary weapon skin instead of a katana or axe so it'd look like I'm wielding a laser sword. That'd be super cool for themes. In their current state, the weapon display devices are just a novelty at best, which is a shame.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    Hmm, there is one flaw with the hue options for the devices. What if the players who click the device might click the hue in the heat of the combat?
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    qawsada wrote: »
    Hmm, there is one flaw with the hue options for the devices. What if the players who click the device might click the hue in the heat of the combat?

maybe the keybinds could help.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    Since everyone is going to want these devices I'm assuming they will be ultra rare drops from lock boxes?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Does it work during travel? Like swinging.

I’ve always wanted some of the guns to be skins for swing
    edited May 2019
    The Display Device work with TP, including swinging. Yes, you're holding a gun while swinging around.
  • talaparitalapari Posts: 14 Arc User
    Does this mean the powerID's would be available for us to see?
    Just asking for a concept reason.
    uc?id=1hYNDw2qpS_hNp9F__9OJHsJoL5wtuDdm
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    qawsada wrote: »
    The Display Device work with TP, including swinging. Yes, you're holding a gun while swinging around.
    But can it look like you're firing the swingline from the gun itself? I mean, there's already a small device that appears in your hand to fire that, but it'd be cool if that could be replaced by your own weapon.

If not, it's still cool, especially with swords - you can do the whole swashbuckling thing that way.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • or you could, except pirates swung around on ropes, and none of the swinging TPs are rope​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    or you could, except pirates swung around on ropes, and none of the swinging TPs are rope​​
    Just because she wears thigh-high boots with folded tops and wields a psychokinetic scimitar doesn't mean Psimitar is a pirate. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited May 2019
    aesica wrote: »
    Like, if I wanted to use the laser sword device, I'd use it with an imaginary weapon skin instead of a katana or axe so it'd look like I'm wielding a laser sword.

That solves that. Make sure we have imaginary skins for all weapon types and then gives us in-combat versions of these \o/ eventually, down the road maybe, if you have time.​​
  • soundsriskysoundsrisky Posts: 58 Arc User
    Suggestion: Add a device for Unarmed Martial Arts as well since people use the same keybind for weapons to put themselves into the unarmed combat pose.
  • lunnylunnylunnylunny Posts: 186 Arc User
    Am I reading this correctly?
    Is this truly happening?

Oh. My. God.

You guys have been really awesome lately!
    Hmm. Can you have one device for a sword in one hand and another device for a pistol in the other?
    JwLmWoa.png
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Seems like some of the weapon display devices have weird interactions w/ all the various blocks (like the guns held w/ both hands not animating at all w/ the standard block pose). Special effects from block replacers using the standard pose still have the effect coming off the left hand even w/o taking the pose, and non-standard block poses don't temporarily stow some of the weapons when maybe they should. Since the displays are out-of-combat this isn't a huge deal; its just a bit weird overall.

A whole slew of new UNTIL elite-grade weapons have been unlocked, though- like this beauty:
    5bEPh9v.jpg
    I'm not sure what its for, but it'd prob give sword-chucks and gunblades a run for their money.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • mastercontrol7mastercontrol7 Posts: 181 Arc User
    Thank you, thank you thank you.

but isn't it possible that we could get the stance of rocket launcher that in outfit tailor?

20181113182041_1.jpg?width=684&height=344

20181113182044_1.jpg?width=684&height=344

in the near future maybe? ^^;

thanks for all the bugs you fix/removed [Even the ones i loved T_T] keep up the Greatwork You guys Rock! *thumbsup*
  • n8mcdn8mcd Posts: 332 Arc User
    I hope that color select panel can be manually toggled on and off, or at the very least can't be activated in combat.

I don't use keybinds for powers or devices due to my 'keyboard' (right) hand having limited mobility. I keep that hand on the 10-key and have that mapped for movement to maintain some mobility while I mouse-click power and device activations.

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Yeah, the color display options being always present is a bit unpleasant. There should be a trigger that decides whether to show them (the obvious one being when the powers window is open). Snazzy (but likely harder to implement) would be putting color display tabs on both powers and devices in the Builds tab.
    Will this device show the visual effects of power replacers upon a weapon?
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    Will this device show the visual effects of power replacers upon a weapon?
    I'm gonna bet on 'no', though I'd have to go hunt down a legacy melee weapon power replacer (ranged ones just change weapon model and power fx) to test.
    I'm gonna bet on 'no', though I'd have to go hunt down a legacy melee weapon power replacer (ranged ones just change weapon model and power fx) to test.

I'm kinda thinking it will be a no too. Just thought I'd remind the devs of this just in case it's possible to implement.

zrdRBy8.png
    edited May 2019
    General dev hatred of power replacers is a thing.

I found an old [poison] single blade replacer. The single blade device doesn't even use the weapon model for the power replacer, let alone show the blade aura.
    Post edited by pantagruel01 on
    Just wondering if this is possible. Say you don't have any actual powers that use weapons, but you still want to be able to pose with a drawn weapon (or maybe a shield?) of your choice. Currently you can equip a device (e.g. single blade) but it defaults to the katana. Is there a way to set the device to the weapon skin on one's choice (that one owns the unlock for)? That would please me mightily!
    JwLmWoa.png
  • soundsriskysoundsrisky Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Just wondering if this is possible. Say you don't have any actual powers that use weapons, but you still want to be able to pose with a drawn weapon (or maybe a shield?) of your choice. Currently you can equip a device (e.g. single blade) but it defaults to the katana. Is there a way to set the device to the weapon skin on one's choice (that one owns the unlock for)? That would please me mightily!

The devices appear to use weapon skins from the costume itself, so simply go grab a weapon power and customize the look of it from a tailor. After retconning back out of the power the costume data still retains the weapon skin information, and the device should use that.
    Post edited by soundsrisky on
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    The tabs being there under the device slots is a problem, makes it more difficult to click them, when you have your UI arranged so that they're easy to reach up to click them. It hurts your DPS to have to reach further to click them. Also, the UI is still resetting, and all binds are disappearing.
    [NbK]XStorm
    I suspect removing them from the default window and putting them somewhere else (I would suggest the builds panel, but ATs don't have access to it) would get rid of the UI reset behavior.
This discussion has been closed.