test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rude Name or Not?

Would it be offensive to use the word 'dwarf' as part of a name for a little person hero? One that isn't a fantasy-style dwarf, that is?

Comments

• Options
    people get offended if they have to so much as breathe the same air as other people nowadays...if not the name, someone will find something else about the character to be offended about

so as long as you aren't doing it to mock or disparage little people, do whatever the fork you want and don't give a cat's ash about what anyone else thinks of it​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Depends on context, really. "Jimmy the Dwarf" would probably come across as pretty offensive; "Dwarf Star", for say a toon with energy powers, should be okay, I would think. (I have a 4' 6" electrical toon named "Short Circuit".)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Call him Stunt Growth, a midget stuntman
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Or Low Down Bum, a short legged cowboy.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    Short Change, the Shady trader
  • Options
    bughousebughouse Posts: 105 Arc User
    Thanks all. Guess I was overthinking it.
  • Options
    Hahahahahahaha overthinking a midget. You guy!!!
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,077 Arc User
    Friend and I have short toons named: Jack Squat and Diddley Squat. Theme overcomes possible problems.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    Those are great!
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Yeah, DwarfStar was one of my favorite characters back in City of Heroes, and I believe the name was first used [to my knowledge] in a Gurps Supers IST setting book, or the base Gurps Supers example Characters section. Great name.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I think the title of Dwarf is strong and respectable.
    c3cfa76de2c63ae8acf983bf338b51e6.jpg
    As a short person, I have no problems with this word u3u​​
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Some synonyms from Merriam-Webster for midget. Interesting how some of these terms would likely be seen as perfectly acceptable, while others would be seen as pejoratives.

Synonyms of midget
    diminutive, dwarf, mite, peewee, pygmy (also pigmy), runt, scrub, shrimp, Tom Thumb

Words Related to midget
    nubbin
    mini, miniature
    bantam
    homunculus, hop-o'-my-thumb, manikin (also mannikin)
    half-pint
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    a homunculus is an artificial humanoid construct created through magic (or alchemy) - it has nothing to do with small people​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    a homunculus is an artificial humanoid construct created through magic (or alchemy) - it has nothing to do with small people​​

It literally means "little person" in latin.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    edited April 2019

It literally means "little person" in latin.
    And "robot" literally means "worker" in Czech (robota), but you wouldn't refer to a carpenter as a "robot", because you know that its usage in modern English is not its usage in Czech in 1922. I mean, there's pedantry, and then there's this.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    Literally literally means actually except when it actually doesn't o3o​​
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    jonsills wrote: »
    And "robot" literally means "worker" in Czech (robota), but you wouldn't refer to a carpenter as a "robot", because you know that its usage in modern English is not its usage in Czech in 1922. I mean, there's pedantry, and then there's this.

And with that last sentence, irony exploded whilst waving a white flag.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    A homonculus is generally defined as "little person" or "little man" in most English dictionaries also. They're also usually depicted in images as little men, albeit a bit malformed. It's not comparable to your example of 'robot' (see post below ;) )

It is inherently connected to the term "small people" contrary to the opinion below (the context of my first comment ;) )....
    it has nothing to do with small people​​

Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Actually, the original term 'robota' in Czech means means servitude or forced labor. The modern word 'robot' ('roboti' in Czech) was coined by artist Josef Čapek, the brother of famed Czechoslovakian author Karel Čapek. Karel Čapek was, among other things, a science fiction author before there was something officially known as science fiction, in subject matter along the same vein as George Orwell. He introduced the word in a play called R.U.R. The full title translated into English as Rossum’s Universal Robots, which debuted in January of 1921.

He actually invented the word 'roboti' (derived from the Czech word robota), which became robot in English. In the play it referred to manufactured, living, simplified people called robots that were created in a factory using a chemical substitute for protoplasm.

As an adept of pedantry, I thought you might like this.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    And the term "homonculous" was coined to describe the (imaginary, obviously) servant of a wizard, being a small humanoid animated by magic to scurry around the wizard's lair performing all manner of simple tasks. Its meaning in Latin comes from this fact; in usage, it has only been used to describe actual humans in an insulting manner, just as it would be difficult to take "golem" as a complimentary term for a large person.

The meaning of words is dependent on more than their ultimate derivation. As I said, there's pedantry, and then there's this.

• Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    And the term "homonculous" was coined to describe the (imaginary, obviously) servant of a wizard, being a small humanoid animated by magic to scurry around the wizard's lair performing all manner of simple tasks. Its meaning in Latin comes from this fact; in usage, it has only been used to describe actual humans in an insulting manner, just as it would be difficult to take "golem" as a complimentary term for a large person.

The meaning of words is dependent on more than their ultimate derivation. As I said, there's pedantry, and then there's this.

And yet, you still proved his point. So, this argument is rather pointless in the end of all thing. Homonculi are nothing more than little golem people. End of discussion.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

a small humanoid

it has only been used to describe actual humans in an insulting manner

B)

zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited April 2019

So you're in agreement that the term basically means "little people" which is akin to "small humanoid".

The only real pendatry I see is coming from you.
  • Options
    jennymachx wrote: »

So you're in agreement that the term basically means "little people" which is akin to "small humanoid".

The only real pendatry I see is coming from you.
    The question was whether the name selected might be offensive to a little person. As I noted, it's all in context - "Jimmy the Dwarf" could hardly be anything but offensive, while "Dwarf Star" clearly is not, even if the toon in question in fact has dwarfism. If you call your toon "Homonculous", then it's not automatically offensive, precisely because the term does not reference human beings (the derivation of the word is unimportant). On the other hand, if you want to use "homonculous" as a descriptor for someone else who happens to be small, that's pretty doggone offensive, and attempts to deflect from this can only be seen as appeals to pedantry.

The meaning of a term is often unrelated to its ultimate derivation. "Awesome" once meant "deserving of awe and terror", but is now understood to be a term of general approval, often of things that don't inspire awe in the least. (I can think of several examples of incredibly offensive terms which, on a strictly pedantic level regarding literal meanings, could be "defended", but I'm far too nice a person to cite them here.)

• Options
    And the pedantry continues......

8xpnu5w.jpg

The context of my statement that you decided to take exception to was stated clearly, I was responding to an exact statement from another poster and even quoted the person I was replying to.

Scroll back to see or continue in your futility.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    This thread should return to being about dwarves o3o
    shield-defense.jpg​​
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Dude Dwarves are awesome!
    latest?cb=20140216222239​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    uw2ETZ6.png
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    Now, you want to know what a rude name is? "A Rude Name".
  • Options
    thebluelinkthebluelink Posts: 26 Arc User
    Uh, obviously Skyrim dwarves are the best dwarves though, as shown by this picture!
    Bl0rRYM.png

nice profile picture bro
  • Options
    galactickirigalactickiri Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Apparently you can get called out for a rename if someone finds it 'rude'. We have far too many whiners and weaklings on this shard.
  • Options
    Ultimately it won't be changed because some "whiner" finds it rude though. It will only be changed if a GM/mod deems it necessary.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Apparently you can get called out for a rename if someone finds it 'rude'.
    You get renamed if you come to a GMs attention and he deems the name inappropriate. Someone filing a bug report brings you to the GMs attention, but doesn't force any decision about appropriateness.
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,077 Arc User
    I've reported some of my own characters to make sure they pass muster. Of course, that doesn't mean some future GM won't decide differently.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"