test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Offense question

I've wondered for the longest time. Why does offense power gives such a tiny boost to damage?

Comments

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Diminishing Returns and the fact that it's not rng.​​
  • Options
    areeeareee Posts: 828 Arc User
    So diminshing returns triggers at 5% on offense stat... No, I don't think so.
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    Blame Algebra.

Most calculations include one or more divisors inside sets of parentheses. This is why that "120% increase" winds up being only 5 - 20% actual increase. Whereas, this 5% increase actually IS a 5% increase. Generally, the closer the number is to the outside of the parentheses, the greater the impact.

Note, I did say "generally".​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    areee wrote: »

5% damage bonus from Offense isn't tiny, because as Warcanch points out that's actually 5% more damage, unlike the fake 132% damage boost you get from your Form which is more like ~20%. And yes, Diminishing Returns set in early and hard with Offense. It gets really bad once you hit around 20%, at which point you'll be stacking hundreds of Offense just to get another 1%. So don't worry, your UI isn't broken, Offense isn't bugged, it is showing the correct amount.​​
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    areee wrote: »
    DR in CO mostly starts immediately, rather than having inflection points, so yes, it does apply at 5%. Offense does seem to be normalized on some assumptions about crit chance and severity that don't reflect real use, though.