test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Make all chain powers in melee sets do melee damage.

aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
In particular chain cyclone powers are used to fill up lack of good AoE in a few melee sets. But while it's not a bad power, being as tagged ranged power makes it do rather low damage for a melee build. So at least until all melee sets have proper high performance AoE please make these chain powers all melee.

Comments

• lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    (also increase the chance to apply Bleed if using certain form/passive)​​
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    That's probably to balance out the fact that they're not melee range. Now Lyn I know you don't recognize the reality of range but... I'm just saying, that's probably why that is the way it is.​​
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    What does a melee or ranged tag have to do with balance? You balance melee against ranged by giving higher ranged power a higher energy cost, lower movement, bit lower damage, etc, etc. A tag isn't a per power balancing mechanic, that is a restriction to enforce certain power combinations.
    aiqa wrote: »
    What does a melee or ranged tag have to do with balance?

This is a concept you have been struggling with for quite a while. I dunno, maybe someday you'll get it.​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Well, no, a tag determines what passives and roles it interacts with, and what types of effects you have access to is part of the theoretical balance of those roles.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    This is a concept you have been struggling with for quite a while. I dunno, maybe someday you'll get it.​​

Maybe one day you will learn to discuss these things without trying to make it into something personal.
    Well, no, a tag determines what passives and roles it interacts with, and what types of effects you have access to is part of the theoretical balance of those roles.

That more generic than "but it's ranged" though. Of course this is all about giving some melee sets access to some decent ish AoE. But just looking at those powers as is, no matter what they are tagged with they will not be overpowered.
    edited December 2018
    something personal.

Range isn't something personal, it's an attribute that has real gameplay implications. This is the thing that you've had trouble accepting for quite a long time. It's why you were upset about the changes to the Electric power set.​​
    Should have known this would turn to dishonest and silly word games in 3 posts.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    You can use the combo powers for AOE. Viper fangs, ego weapons, etc; all do really, really good dmg. They're tedious to line up sometimes, but they work ok.
    [NbK]XStorm
    edited December 2018
    Should have known this would turn to dishonest and silly word games in 3 posts.

Sure, that's one way to shut down the conversation. Let's go with that.​​
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    I agree. I don't think this change would be unbalancing. 25' range is short enough that it doesn't infringe on the ranged role too much.

I think the bleed procs could also be looked at. But instead of a higher bleed chance, give an auto bleed on a full maintain. There is just too much rng with many of these powers, it makes them annoying to use.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    As long as this game divides melee and ranged in the way that it does, you're going to run into annoying things like this. Currently, since melee powers enjoy more damage for a lower energy cost, and (in most cases) better mobility, I think it's fair that it falls short in the AoE department.

The combo powers were mentioned and I'll agree that they make great aoe solutions. Sword Cyclone with the Blender advantage is a pretty solid murder machine that in a sense emulates the reach of a ranged power. I'd really like to see more melee AoEs with a "get over here" mechanic. EotS and Crimson Bloom can be serviceable as well if you partial-maintain them.

That said, I think the chain powers should just get their own set and it should probably be full-on ranged. (50 feet would be fine for this, even though it's stupid for fire) Having flavors of the chain twirler attack seems a bit silly since, unlike themed variants, it's basically just the same theme over and over.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).