test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let's talk about Powers that ignore Knock Resistance

No, not about Ape meteors. Those are """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""bugged"""""""""""""""""""""""" and only way to prevent the knock is by blocking.

No, this time today I want to talk about the High Noon Cowboy's Lasso.

You can invest in str, get the knock resistance spec, slot knock resistance mods, have Quantum Stabilizer or another passive that gives Knock Resistance, stand in a Circle of Primal Dominion and use Catastrophic Pummeling and if you aren't blocking you'll get knocked around.

Worst part, if 2 or more Cowboys use the Lasso very close to one another, they can knock you around multiple times in a row and you only get 1 stack of Knock resistance.

Blocking or getting 3 stacks of Knock Resistance is the only way to avoid getting Knocked around like a ragdoll.

This heavily undermines the value of any knock resistance mod/spec/passive/power.

Powers that bypass Knock Resistance should not exist at all.​​

Comments

• Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    The way knock resistance works would have to be changed I think.

I don't think there's an issue with powers overcoming knock resistance, but they shouldn't overcome blocking unless its to facilitate some sort of mechanic for a boss fight.

A lot of NPC powers would have to be looked into to ensure they respect knock resistance better (or flat out respect blocking)
  • Options
    lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    There is no issue with powers overcoming knock resistance

There is an issue with powers overcoming knock resistance 100% of the time though.

Having 200% knock resistance should for example reduce the chance to get knocked by 50% and distance knocked by 25%
    300% knock resistance should reduce the chance to get knocked by 60% and distance knocked by 40% and so on.​​
  • Options
    omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    I've long said that Knock Resistance in this game only exists in words. I can block or be hit by other knocks for five minutes to build resistance. I'm still knocked around more than the ball at a world championship ping-pong tournament.

Run into attack range, knock'd, run back into attack range, knock'd, run back into attack range turn on my energy builder, start charging a stronger attack, knock'd and attack interrupted, run back into attack range, bounce three times from successive knocks landing. this is usually how it goes when the "Random" number generator's being a dick.

By random I mean 70% in favor of the computer , 30% in favor of the player. At best.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Ok, my bad, Meteor ignoring knock is apparently an intended feature, which I can understand since the Meteor has a good 2-3 seconds forewarn time in which you can simply avoid being knocked by moving out of the way or blocking.

But the Lasso does not have a warning, and it knocks you to a fixed position right next to whoever used it instead of knocking you a distance, meaning that you can get leashed across the map like crazy, specially as I mentioned before if 2 or more cowboys use it at once resulting in:

RXn7qjz.jpg​​
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    In an event where it's super important for a tank to pull mob aggro and keep the mobs pointed away from tower, getting constantly lassoed back and forth like a ping pong ball is a PITA since if you are unlucky you can get lassoed right into the tower when, say, Ascii is charging her Showdown, essentially preventing or potentially wiping anyone trying to activate the tower.

I always advocate for challenging fights, but if the player is able to meet up to the challenge he shouldn't be screwed over by RNG.​​
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    lezard21 wrote: »
    In an event where it's super important for a tank to pull mob aggro and keep the mobs pointed away from tower, getting constantly lassoed back and forth like a ping pong ball is a PITA since if you are unlucky you can get lassoed right into the tower when, say, Ascii is charging her Showdown, essentially preventing or potentially wiping anyone trying to activate the tower.

I always advocate for challenging fights, but if the player is able to meet up to the challenge he shouldn't be screwed over by RNG.​​

I've come to accept (mostly) that being screwed over by the RNG is also a 'feature' which has popped up more and more in content.

I've not tried tanking the High Noon event by the towers (regardless of the attention DPSing by it can garner), but I've found Lasso's so far to be quite 'okay' to avoid this time around.

I think the problem comes from aggroing too much and not dealing with it, so that enemies out of your "awareness" may start charging lasso and yank you all over in a horrible lasso-fest.

Is that what you're experiencing?

(I'm not attempting to say your experience is invalid, because it clearly isn't. I can see where your coming from, but NPC knocks have been historically PITA and rage inducing)

It would be nice if there was a brief window open to all to actively counter certain knocks...I'm imagining players yanking the lasso back causing the NPC to fly towards them :tongue:
    Post edited by theravenforce on
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    But the Lasso does not have a warning, and it knocks you to a fixed position right next to whoever used it instead of knocking you a distance, meaning that you can get leashed across the map like crazy, specially as I mentioned before if 2 or more cowboys use it at once resulting in:
    FUN FACT: I Noticed all those years I had been playing that during Alerts if you and a teammate use a knock attack the same time on an Enemy with 2 stacks or Resistance the enemy instantly gains 4 stacks of resistance max instead of 3
    This happened a lot of times

Don't you just love the game's spaghetti code which makes the enemies playing against the rules? :grimace:​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options

I think the problem comes from aggroing too much and not dealing with it, so that enemies out of your "awareness" may start charging lasso and yank you all over in a horrible lasso-fest.

The problem is that when I tank, I choose to tank the Red tower (North, Ascii), which has uncleaned spawns from Asciing from Trouble.

So aside from having to deal with the 20+ mob spawns from the Event you have to also deal with 20+ skull level spawns from Asciing from Trouble, which to make things even better, have the "call for help" AI coded in for when more than 4 people are fighting them. This is why I'm constantly calling in zone that I only require 2 people with me in red, one to dispose of mobs sans Black Hats and Ascii, and another to poke the tower, but alas people don't listen and come rushing in with their vehicles aggroing even more mobs.

Maybe if the spawn tables from Asciing from Trouble were cleaned during High Noon the Lassoing wouldn't be so terrible. Whenever I heal or DPS in Yellow or Blue tower I don't encounter the annoying chain lassoing as frequently as in Red Tower. Were it not for the fact that my tank is Sentinel Mastery I would probably die super fast at 1/3.​​
  • Options
    I had the opposite problem yesterday...not enough people were at Red with me at times, so there I was lil 6k HP wispy thing trying to take on several Black Hats and Lassoing cowboy bots. :anguished:

But yeah, it sounds like perhaps its a problem exacerbated by players. I'd probably relate to what you mean a whole lot more if I tanked more stuff.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    When I'm at Red with my wide AoE dps I make it a point to get rid of all those extraneous cow boy robots anywhere near the tower just ameliorate all that yanking/knocking.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Maybe the Lassos actually have part Repel pull. Devs never really got the hang of the knock mechanic in this game anyway.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    or maybe it's just a negative repel? It's weird, whatever it is.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    This heavily undermines the value of any knock resistance mod/spec/passive/power.

Bit of an exaggeration. Powers that bypass knock resist aren't exactly common.

I do notice that when it comes to knocks, knock-to's are one of the most reliable knocks there are. It's pretty rare that they fail, even with low knock strength.​​