test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dread Knight, build optimization...

mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
So... this character came into existence simply because I happened to collect the Aurum heirloom set. Thus began a quest to make a toon that could use said set and be a tanky build that is able to solo as much content as possible... especially those bloody open world missions...

He just hit 40 last night and with his new respec token I'm tempted to look into rebuilding him to be a bit better.

Already thinking of dropping Shadow Shroud (not really noticing a major benefit from terrifying visage, as the dimensional DoT just isn't procing often enough to justify the points) for Ego Burst, or perhaps a second defense ability and I'm not sure if keeping Recovery as a secondary is a good idea or if I should switch to Dexterity (increased crit) or Endurance (higher max energy). I can't say I'm overjoyed with the energy management of this build, it just feels really hit or miss.

I'm also not sure if my Talents are a good mix or if that could be improved.

The build below is a quick slapped together representation of my current build. Doing the alerts and open world fights had a rather considerable influence on this build between conception and final result, in particular wanting to be as little of a burden on the healers as possible. Travel speed is actually supplied by a combination of vehicle, teleportation devices and a Dark Speed device.

Dread Knight Hybrid
v3.12:30

Super Stats
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Gunslinger (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Ego: 8, Rec: 10)
Level 6: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
Level 9: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
Level 12: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
Level 18: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Kinetic Darts
Level 1: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Stressed Out, Challenge!)
Level 6: Ego Blade Frenzy (Rank 2, Instill Doubt, Challenge!)
Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
Level 14: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Voracious Darkness)
Level 17: Shadow Shroud (Terrifying Visage)
Level 20: Masterful Dodge
Level 23: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Ego Blade Annihilation (Rank 2, Mental Acuity)
Level 29: Telekinetic Maelstrom
Level 32: Ego Blade Pandemonium (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Mental Discipline
Level 38: Telekinetic Reverberation
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Phase Out (Rank 2)
Level 35: Athletics

Specializations
Ego: Mental Endurance (3/3)
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Follow Through (2/3)
Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Upper Hand (2/3)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Brawler: The Glory of Battle (1/3)
Brawler: Penetrating Strikes (2/2)
Brawler: Ruthless (2/2)
Brawler: Finishing Blow (3/3)
Brawler: Setup (2/2)
Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)

Devices
Slot 1: Coward's Lament​​

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I may keep Rec SS, as it scales w/ TK Reverb, but Dex scales up Mental Discipline (Ego doesn't) so not having Dex SS'd or geared out may be a reason why you have some energy issues. Also, its interesting that you didn't take Siphoning Strikes, given your stated goals for the build (though to be fair, it won't be as strong healing for a tank). Mental Block on EBF can also be really good for its dmg shield on trash- kinda like Eye of the Storm's innate one. They are 3-pt advs, but they can be worth it sometimes.

The current specs can work as is (TK blades w/ EBA is esp good w/ Brawler's Setup), but Brawler isn't making you more tanky either (at least w/o Siphoning). TK Maelstrom is also a good cd power for a variety of reasons, but it'll be pretty costly to use here- hopefully changing to a Dex focus can make it easier to fit in.

You could also consider getting a 2nd AD, but you'd have to give up something else for it. Also, a general potential issue is that the build is a bit knock-prone (easy treatment of that is changing to a CON/Dex/Rec setup w/ Resilient, and Armored + Adren Rush; you'll be tankier and less knock prone, but deal less base dps)
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    Dex... bloody hells... I forgot all about the scaling of the form. At first I had planned to take Mental Block and Siphoning Strikes, however during game play I found myself having more than sufficient healing with the HoT of Instill Doubt + Ebon Void and probably the set bonus.

One of my original considerations was to run with Con/Dex/Rec for the very reasons you've listed. I'll need to think about this while looking into better gear.​​
    So did a little screwing around with the build... I'm rather leary of defiance as I've not had good results with it, but I'm willing to give it a shot... I'm not really sure if Force of Will is even worth the points.

Dread rebuild concept... Any / Multiple
    v3.12:30

Super Stats
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Psychokinetic (Dex: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Shooter (Dex: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 9: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 18: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Ego Blade
    Level 1: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Stressed Out, Challenge!)
    Level 6: Ego Blade Frenzy (Rank 2, Mental Block)
    Level 8: Defiance (Force of Will)
    Level 11: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares, Challenge!)
    Level 14: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Voracious Darkness)
    Level 17: Mental Discipline
    Level 20: Telekinetic Reverberation
    Level 23: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Ego Blade Annihilation (Rank 2, Mental Acuity)
    Level 29: Telekinetic Maelstrom
    Level 32: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Masterful Dodge
    Level 38: Ego Blade Pandemonium (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Phase Out (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Distortion Acrobatics

Specializations
    Constitution: Unyielding (2/2)
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (2/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Upper Hand (2/3)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)​​
    Defiance is good for tackling higher-end content, as its the best vs. big hits, but Invuln is still good on its own, and can be better than Defiance in other respects. So perhaps it will depend on the content you're doing. I prob wouldn't even get the special adv if you're taking Defiance, though- Defiance is the exception to the rule of ranking up passives. Wardicator was also nerfed a bit so the AS/TBD combo won't give as much defense & offense as before; I may keep Brawler just for the better dps/threat (it is kinda hard to pass up Brawler's Setup here), or maybe consider Warden + Protector if you want to be more defensive.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    I believe the Wardicator 'fix' was implemented as the first patch after I started really playing. The whole strange feedback loop was both interesting and kind of odd to read about. Honestly I'm not sure why the calculation didn't just keep compounding. There must have been code in place to allow it to work in the first place.

Actually was going for a bit more crit... really abuse that whole heal on crit trick... assuming it doesn't have some kind of unlisted internal timer...

Likely not going to do the Defiance build, was running a few tests and I just don't have the latency or reflexes to be that on point. Also not keen on how much Con I'd have to strap to the build to make Defiance a viable passive. I'm much more ok with the way invulnerability scales and is always working.

On an unrelated note. Better (mercenary primaries) gear has virtually eliminated my energy management problems and given me the durability and dps needed to solo a fair chunk of the Q-War Zone... that was an amusing little diversion... just wish it wasn't so inconvenient to access, kind of like the lumeria content. Zipping around killing giants is kind of fun.​​
    Yea, the Ward/Guardicator fix should be easier on the server at least, afaik. Regardless, nice to hear that your energy issues are mostly gone, and Invuln should be fine to stick with.