test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

German Superheroes

2»

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 1,639 Arc User
    Probably true; but the Aryan is rife with potential for intriguing moral quandaries for an RP group mature enough to handle them. How do heroes deal with someone who's clearly trying to do good, but whose motivation they can't condone? Do they accept his legitimate offers to help? Would working with him somehow look like validating his views? Should he be pilloried for his philosophy, or lauded for his good deeds? Can they turn his genuine desire to make the world better into a more balanced world view? Or will rejection of his efforts push the Aryan down a more radical, villainous path?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,615 Arc User
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Probably true; but the Aryan is rife with potential for intriguing moral quandaries for an RP group mature enough to handle them. How do heroes deal with someone who's clearly trying to do good, but whose motivation they can't condone? Do they accept his legitimate offers to help? Would working with him somehow look like validating his views? Should he be pilloried for his philosophy, or lauded for his good deeds? Can they turn his genuine desire to make the world better into a more balanced world view? Or will rejection of his efforts push the Aryan down a more radical, villainous path?
    This is a classic anti-villain example. Approximately:

Heroes do good things for good reasons.
    Villains do bad things for bad reasons.
    Anti-heroes do bad things for good reasons.
    Anti-villains do good things for bad reasons.

This guy had goals that... most people would consider bad, but his methods of trying to achieve them are useful to the public as a whole. Ultimately his goal is futile, and eventually the story would probably have to address that, but until then he'd be useful as a hero. How useful would probably depend on how much time he spent preaching though....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    FWIW there are some present-day Nazi supervillains active on Champions Earth. The most prominent one is probably Panzer, a German scientist-engineer who created a formidable powered-armor suit refined from the original Eisenmech designs from WW II. Panzer is an "Aryan" racist who dreams of leading a Fourth Reich, and has contacts with neo-Nazis around the world. He often works as a mercenary to raise money for his cause. Most Germans loathe him. Panzer's PnP write-up is in Champions Worldwide.

Ernst Von Niehl was a dedicated Nazi and one of the Third Reich's premier weapon designers, inventing a disintegrating weapon using "Nihil energy." When he was about to test it in combat, a group of Canadian heroes attacked and caused the weapon to misfire, discorporating Von Niehl and stranding him in another dimension. After many years Von Niehl was able to coalesce himself as a roughly-humanoid energy being, in a pocket dimension inhabited by Aryan-looking people. Von Niehl conquered them and renamed himself Baron Nihil, and eventually learned to open a portal back to Earth, where he menaces the modern world (particularly Canada) with his powers, technology, and followers, for the cause of Nazism. Baron Nihil is detailed in Champions Villains Vol. 1: Master Villains.

Of course Kapitan Eisenblut would probably remember Albert "Dr. Destroyer" Zerstoiten from the war since Zerstoiten was involved in Germany's supers-creation experiments. Zerstoiten was never a Nazi or sympathetic to their cause, but was no less cruel and ruthless.
  • lillysaturnlillysaturn Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Ok I am late.
    For me as a german Superheroes have a odd feel. I think that the Nazis back then left a lot of us with a sour taste regarding Übermenschen, its also true that we here in Europe have no real tradition of Superhero comics.
    That aside. I think I remember darkly that someone from germany described a native Superhero Group a while back in the Hero Game Forums. I looked for it but could not find it. (Maybe Liaden can find it)

* addendum if it is supposed to be Captain its probatly Hauptmann in german. Kapitän is a naval rank
    Post edited by lillysaturn on
    Thanks for the clarification, lillysaturn. It's always nice to get input from folks who know stuff firsthand. :) I tried to locate that German hero team you mentioned on the Hero forums, but without more clues there was more stuff than I had time to sift through.

I should also mention that the leader of UNITY, UNTIL's superhero team, is German. Quasar is a physicist named Johann Mersinger who was once actually in the employ of Dr. Destroyer. He defected from DD's organization to UNTIL; but Destroyer never forgives or forgets betrayal, or any slight for that matter. The Doctor had a tiny bomb planted in an experimental blaster Mersinger was testing, but the resulting bombardment turned him into a being of "living energy."
  • hatutzeraze1hatutzeraze1 Posts: 2 Arc User
    When I ran my old Champions campaign in the late 80s, after the fall of the Berlin Wall, I had a player who made up a character with a German background. I riffed on that and created a supergroup backed by the re-unified German government that recruited him.

There were only about 4 of them plus the player character. The only two I remember were:

- Duergar
    I obviously stole the name from D&D; to my non-German speaking ear, it sounded approximately Germanic. He was basically a D&D style Dwarven Fighter, but obviously using his abilities to fight as a modern day superhero.

- Grunblitz
    This was my attempt to meet the language halfway - I was shooting for something that would be the equivalent of "The Green Bolt" but I am not really sure if that translates accurately.