test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Changing Power Colors

Hello everyone, quick question to any subscribers out there:

1) Can I recolor my powers on a freeform character with a monthly "gold" subscription or does this require a lifetime sub?
2) If I were to subscribe, change some colors and later end the subscription, would the colors stay the way I last assigned them (even when I am "silver" /non-subscriber again), or would they revert to their vanilla colors as soon as the sub ends?
3) And lastly, is there a way to buy a sub via Steam, or do I have to do it from Cryptic's site? (didn't find any such option so there probably isn't, just wanted to ask in case I may have missed something)

Now it's not like I'd consider buying a sub just for the sake of recoloring my powers, but since changing them is definitely something I'd do IF I had a subscription I figured might as well ask beforehand lol
Thanks in advance for any clarification on this matter

Comments

• stealthriderstealthrider Posts: 86 Arc User
    Yes. Technically yes, but if you end your subscription you can no longer play those characters anyway (and while subscribed you can't play your silver characters) so it's irrelevant. No.
  • lun4cy#3055 lun4cy Posts: 14 Arc User
    Wow, definitely didn't know that. So basically if you subscribe once you would need to stay subscribed, or else it'd be pointless since you'd loose any progress you made while subscribed.
    Anyways, thanks for letting me know
  • nayaflask#5866 nayaflask Posts: 20 Arc User
    Wow, definitely didn't know that. So basically if you subscribe once you would need to stay subscribed, or else it'd be pointless since you'd loose any progress you made while subscribed.
    Anyways, thanks for letting me know

Yeah this turned me off from subbing... Tho I think ye can buy a freeform slot as silver account, but I dont think ye can change power colors...
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    And Freeform Slot is a new slot, not a slot you can use on existing characters. And you can't change power colors with it either.
    And you can play your Silver characters as Gold. Just turn them into Gold ATs. And back. So you don't lose any progress either way.
    Silver players who have a unused Freeform Character Slot from purchasing one in the ZEN store can choose to use up that slot to convert a Standard character into a Freeform character.
    Post edited by flyingfinn on
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    And Freeform Slot is a new slot, not a slot you can use on existing characters. And you can't change power colors with it either.
    And you can play your Silver characters as Gold. Just turn them into Gold ATs. And back. So you don't lose any progress either way.

Except you only get to swap them either way once without paying for a retrain, and if they're not a free AT as Gold then they'd need to be converted to a free AT as silver.

Basically the only way to not be screwed by the shitty model is to buy LTS.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Almost like the company wants to make some money?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited July 2018
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Almost like the company wants to make some money?

'Cause CO is clearly the epitome of a successful, hand-over-fist money-making game. It's why they've been able to hire so many devs and spend so much on new assets.
    Yeah this turned me off from subbing... Tho I think ye can buy a freeform slot as silver account, but I dont think ye can change power colors...
    flyingfinn wrote: »

I've been playing a Freeform character on my silver account. I don't like playing ATs. I'm unhappy with some of my freeform's powers colors. What I was looking to do is changing that existing character's colors and continue playing it after getting my subscription. If going Gold means I can't do that but instead need to start all new chars that I can only play as long as I stay subbed anyways (and to do that, buy another freeform slot while I'm at it) then it's probably best for me to just stay a Silver
  • narf#9213 narf Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    You can play your freeform while subbed. I don't know where you got the idea that you couldn't. It's a special slot, not a Silver or Gold slot. That means you don't have to change it from a Silver to a Gold and back when subbing and unsubbing.

If you have any Archetypes that you end up wanting to play, you can freely swap them back and forth from silver to gold slots (but will have to respec your Specialization tree, b/c it's bugged) as much as you want too, so long as you have them unlocked.

If you have a Gold slot that you use for a freeform character (but not the same as the Freeform slot you buy from the store: any Gold character can be freeform), or for an Archetype that you haven't unlocked, then you will have to use a Retrain token to convert it to a Silver character if you unsub. You get one free one per character, so that's a one way trip, unless you want to pay a stupid amount of zen to buy another token.

For example, when the new Unarmed DPS AT came out, I converted my old freeform MA character to it, so I can play him while unsubbed. If I subscribe, I can convert him to a gold slot of that same AT, since it's one I can play as Silver. If I want to make him Freeform again, then I'd have to buy a Retrain token.

You can color the powers on any Archetype character while subbed and the colors will stick after you unsub. I'm 99% sure you can do the same with your Freeform character, but you might want to verify that with someone who's Gold and has a paid Freeform slot by asking in general chat in game. (There should be plenty, as they gave a Freeform slot away to everyone a few years back.)
  • nevyn34nevyn34 Posts: 104 Arc User
    Hello everyone, quick question to any subscribers out there:

1) Can I recolor my powers on a freeform character with a monthly "gold" subscription or does this require a lifetime sub?
    2) If I were to subscribe, change some colors and later end the subscription, would the colors stay the way I last assigned them (even when I am "silver" /non-subscriber again), or would they revert to their vanilla colors as soon as the sub ends?
    3) And lastly, is there a way to buy a sub via Steam, or do I have to do it from Cryptic's site? (didn't find any such option so there probably isn't, just wanted to ask in case I may have missed something)

Now it's not like I'd consider buying a sub just for the sake of recoloring my powers, but since changing them is definitely something I'd do IF I had a subscription I figured might as well ask beforehand lol
    Thanks in advance for any clarification on this matter

1. Yes, if you have bought FF slots then you can subscribe to color their powers. The changes will stay when the sub lapses. The only thing to watch out for is Silver character slots. Any characters in Silver slots will need to be converted to Gold before you can play them, and then when the sub lapses will need converted back. Any power color changes on them will stay after the conversions.

Current Roster:

Frostbiter (Freeform Ice DPS)
    Battle Hazard (Unleashed AT)
    Glacial Tyrant (Glacier AT)
    Silver Mantra ( Freeform Single Blade DPS)
    Magnetros (Freeform Heavy Weapons/Lightning Hybrid)
    Alright, thanks a bunch for clearing that up.
    Didn't know about all those conversion mechanics before, but since a silver Freeform seems to be the exception to those it looks like I don't need to worry after all.