test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Heroic demons in CO?

124»

Comments

• kjames91kjames91 Posts: 114 Arc User
    Perfect. Thank you! Just seeing your comment on supernatural being superheroes bums me. I love the supernatural world of vampires, werewolves, etc in genres, but it’s hard to insert in a world such as CO. Also, with doing so, would the agency need to be a secret? Magic according to humans isn’t real, so how would a vampire or werewolf explain if they were caught?
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 97 Arc User
    Why would they? The Vampire/Werewolf could be a super with powers that mimic a part particular concept of Werewolf/Vampire. How would anyone prove they weren't?
    I believe that everything can’t always point to the supers. Just seems weird to me.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 1,717 Arc User
    mordray001 makes a very good point. There are all sorts of mutants, mutates, aliens, constructs in the CU who happen to resemble classic supernatural entities, but aren't based on magic at all. The world has gotten rather used to that reality over the past eight decades. ;) But while the majority of people on Champions Earth don't believe in the supernatural, that's very different from banning or ostracizing people who do. In the real world we have people who believe in magic, ghosts, the power of crystals, and similar things, and they're allowed to practice their beliefs. Even much of modern religion is in a real sense "supernatural." Governmental and supra-governmental organizations devote resources to studying and countering threats from the occult, so at least some official organs know this stuff exists.

That said, for centuries the members of the Mystic World subculture have kept their activities secret from the inhabitants of the mundane world, and that tradition mostly persists to this day. OTOH the Age of Superheroes has seen the rise of powerful sorcerers, and the return of gods and other mythic creatures, who openly proclaim their presence and nature. Bottom line, if you want your group to be public a la Ghostbusters, most people will probably think you're crackpots, but if you keep your noses clean they shouldn't give you trouble. But there are also enough believers around that if you're looking for contacts or clients, you should be able to find them.

It's even possible to earn a living within this subculture, if you know the right channels. As one example, the supervillain Harpy (Champions Villains. Vol. 3) uses alchemy to transform herself into a powerful half-bird-woman, and often hires herself out to mystic supervillains who want extra muscle to use against fellow spell-casters who aren't used to countering physical threats.
    kjames91 wrote: »
    I believe that everything can’t always point to the supers. Just seems weird to me.

Could you clarify a bit more what you mean by this comment?
    Sorry. I think I may have answered my own question. So if someone is able to “magically” control fire, humans could see it as a man dressed as a wizard able to control fire through technology, but they will never know if it’s technology or possibly something else of science.

I may have answered my question, but forgot the meaning of that previous comment.
    Or the person could have a psionic pyrokinetic power. Or secretes and expels inflammatory chemicals. Or emits radiation that stimulates molecules to ignition temperature. Or any other comic-book science rationale. In a world where that sort of "science" is known and understood (at least by some), it often seems a much more reasonable explanation than magic.
    edited September 11
    kjames91 wrote: »
    Perfect. Thank you! Just seeing your comment on supernatural being superheroes bums me. I love the supernatural world of vampires, werewolves, etc in genres, but it’s hard to insert in a world such as CO. Also, with doing so, would the agency need to be a secret? Magic according to humans isn’t real, so how would a vampire or werewolf explain if they were caught?

Actually, CO is much easier to insert such things into than most comic-book worlds, because while the PnP Champions Earth allows for their existence, in CO they're common and running around openly terrorizing people. Whether or not the average person believes they're supernatural, their existence is undeniable.
  • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Posts: 1,479 Arc User
    or common and openly running around saving people...or mounting people...or saving and THEN mounting people - all totally consensual, of course​​
    Well, a tabletop RPG group need to all be on the same page for it to function. An MMO is a random smorgasbord of people, and its players will play what they want, whether it makes sense setting-wise or not.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,713 Arc User
    Well for an MMO, the devs do the GM role.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters