test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interest Check: University/College themed RP Groups?

Hey folks! So I'm pretty new to the game, but I wanted to run an idea by the community to see if anyone would be interested in fleshing out an idea I had for a RP group (or groups) for college-age characters!

I'm sort of dabbling in the realm of roleplaying student-led groups. Could be anything! Though personally I was toying with ideas around a student group that is dedicated to vocalizing the concerns of Supernatural students, within and outside of campus, pressuring authorities into action, or otherwise taking things into their own hands. My goal would ultimately be to flesh out the experiences of Supernatural beings who aren't all big heroes and/or villains. I'm positive folks with superpowers experience life differently than those who don't, and there are likely many layers that affect those experiences (supernatural people who visibly appear inhuman in some way vs. those who can pass for humans, etc.) So it'd be interesting to see what a few young adults with great aspirations, who are just trying to get through life, could do with their heads put together. Plenty of room for plot-driving drama, twists, growth, all of that good stuff. :D

This is very much a raw, unrefined idea so constructive opinions are welcome! Let me know what you think!

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Hey Vel! Since so many MMO players are living the college experience themselves, that sounds like a natural background for a group of young supers. Let me suggest taking a look at an inexpensive little PDF book from Hero Games (the publishers of the Champions tabletop RPG that CO is based on) which describes Millennium City University, to enhance your role-playing options.

There are a couple of things about the default official setting that could influence how you approach the situation you propose; although if your particular RP group all agree to ignore or change them for your role playing, the continuity police won't come to your door. ;) One, there aren't enough superhumans on Champions Earth to where any particular subset of them has had the profile to advocate for society changing to meet their needs. Generally speaking, in the United States and most of the industrialized West, superhumans of all stripes have had their basic human rights recognized by law, and society has adapted in many ways to the reality of their existence. (More info available on request.) There are definitely segments of society that are pro- or anti- particular elements of the superhuman community -- mutants, aliens, etc. -- but they're mostly extremist fringe groups.

Second, while most governments appear to at least recognize the existence of magic and the supernatural, the majority of regular people don't believe in them any more than people in the real world do. They prefer to believe that supers who claim magical powers have more scientific (for a comic-book world) explanations for their abilities, and are just trying to fool the gullible. This mindset has been contributed to by centuries of the "Mystic World" sub-culture maintaining a covert bearing overall, despite the occasional high-profile "super-mage" hero or villain in the modern era. While from one perspective this might seem restrictive, the situation provides its own interesting role-playing possibilities.

Finally, I'll just mention that if magical characters are your particular jam, the Mystic World of the Champions Universe is vast, very diverse, and thoroughly documented, with enormous potential for character origins and story lines.

I hope some of that was of use to you.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Hey folks! So I'm pretty new to the game, but I wanted to run an idea by the community to see if anyone would be interested in fleshing out an idea I had for a RP group (or groups) for college-age characters!

I'm sort of dabbling in the realm of roleplaying student-led groups. Could be anything! Though personally I was toying with ideas around a student group that is dedicated to vocalizing the concerns of Supernatural students, within and outside of campus, pressuring authorities into action, or otherwise taking things into their own hands. My goal would ultimately be to flesh out the experiences of Supernatural beings who aren't all big heroes and/or villains. I'm positive folks with superpowers experience life differently than those who don't, and there are likely many layers that affect those experiences (supernatural people who visibly appear inhuman in some way vs. those who can pass for humans, etc.) So it'd be interesting to see what a few young adults with great aspirations, who are just trying to get through life, could do with their heads put together. Plenty of room for plot-driving drama, twists, growth, all of that good stuff. :D

This is very much a raw, unrefined idea so constructive opinions are welcome! Let me know what you think!

Hey that doesn't sound bad! I wouldn't mind and was actually oddly enough thinking of something along those same lines. But, of course, Im terrible at leading an SG(never have, even in CoH :p) but I'd certainly have plenty of supernatural toons to spare if you decide to follow through on this. Are you only looking for supernatural types who perhaps look the part?(werewolves and what not) or are all supernatural types welcome? (Spellcasters of various types)
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • velsirien#1774 velsirien Posts: 8 Arc User
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Hey Vel! Since so many MMO players are living the college experience themselves, that sounds like a natural background for a group of young supers. Let me suggest taking a look at an inexpensive little PDF book from Hero Games (the publishers of the Champions tabletop RPG that CO is based on) which describes Millennium City University, to enhance your role-playing options.

Hey! Thank you so much for this! I will definitely check the document out as I want to keep to the lore as closely as possible (while also leaving room for lore-friendly creativity).
    There are a couple of things about the default official setting that could influence how you approach the situation you propose; although if your particular RP group all agree to ignore or change them for your role playing, the continuity police won't come to your door. ;) One, there aren't enough superhumans on Champions Earth to where any particular subset of them has had the profile to advocate for society changing to meet their needs. Generally speaking, in the United States and most of the industrialized West, superhumans of all stripes have had their basic human rights recognized by law, and society has adapted in many ways to the reality of their existence. (More info available on request.) There are definitely segments of society that are pro- or anti- particular elements of the superhuman community -- mutants, aliens, etc. -- but they're mostly extremist fringe groups.

I'm in the midst of reading Champions Universe (6th edition) and I'm seeing what you're saying. I feel that, though it appears that the government and I'm assuming many other public institutions meet the basic needs of supers, there's always going to be a need for spaces and groups where supers can gather to lean on each other a little. Advocating for change on a societal-level might be too broad of a stroke to start off with, especially for a student-led college group.
    Finally, I'll just mention that if magical characters are your particular jam, the Mystic World of the Champions Universe is vast, very diverse, and thoroughly documented, with enormous potential for character origins and story lines.

I've noticed!! I love the diversity of the Champions world, it's part of what got me so excited to delve deep into it's story. I typically enjoy playing characters that come from religious backgrounds. My current character, Hype, is a Jinn, and I noticed on the Champions Online RP site that there are a few of those, however I'm aiming to approach this character as a Jinn that you would find in Islamic theology and folklore. Not much of the genies-in-lamps sort, but rather the lesser divine beings who were created with fire in the beginning of time, who have their own world that coexists with humans though it is hidden, who are either evil, good, neutral, long-lived, and sometimes pretty creepy looking. There are a lot of legends and stories of Jinns interacting with humans, or humans having encounters with Jinns, and quite a few of when Jinns tried to seduce humans (often ending badly) so I thought it'd be interesting to explore that in a world as diverse as in the Champions universe! Anyhow I'm rambling. I really just love Jinns hahaha.

Tons of use! Thanks so much for taking the time to explain and offer some food for thought for a lil' newbie like me! It's really appreciated!
    xcelsior41 wrote: »
    Hey that doesn't sound bad! I wouldn't mind and was actually oddly enough thinking of something along those same lines. But, of course, Im terrible at leading an SG(never have, even in CoH :p) but I'd certainly have plenty of supernatural toons to spare if you decide to follow through on this. Are you only looking for supernatural types who perhaps look the part?(werewolves and what not) or are all supernatural types welcome? (Spellcasters of various types)

Cool!!! This is great news! I'd love to hear about what you were originally thinking about yourself! Maybe we could bounce ideas off each other?

Oh yeah, believe me, leading RP groups is hard as heck. It's also super easy to get really excited and start things off way too early and not have the people/ideas/time/whatever to keep things going. I'm thinking getting a couple of people together to RP for fun and kinda set a foundation for the SG could be great to break the ice and get a feel for things. I myself get really nervous when I start RPing (just like, writer anxiety and being paranoid that I don't know my character as well as I do, but I just need to get out of my head lol) but I'm still incredibly excited and determined to make this work!

I'd say all supers are welcome. I'm aiming for this group to be as inclusive as possible, except of human characters. I have this concept in mind that this group should foremost be a space for young adult supers to gather and uplift each other sort of thing. It's all about them, looking out for other supers, the whole deal.

• kjames91kjames91 Posts: 186 Arc User
    I would be down to join. I have a guy who is a ghost trying to figure how he died. I was thinking of making it into a series or something. Love to meet with you and discuss more about it. Hit me up @kjames91 when you’re online.
    kjames91 wrote: »
    I would be down to join. I have a guy who is a ghost trying to figure how he died. I was thinking of making it into a series or something. Love to meet with you and discuss more about it. Hit me up @kjames91 when you’re online.

Noooiiiice! OUFF that sounds like a cool character you got there! I'll defs hit shoot you a message whenever I can. Super excited to get brainstorming with you!
    [

Cool!!! This is great news! I'd love to hear about what you were originally thinking about yourself! Maybe we could bounce ideas off each other?

Oh yeah, believe me, leading RP groups is hard as heck. It's also super easy to get really excited and start things off way too early and not have the people/ideas/time/whatever to keep things going. I'm thinking getting a couple of people together to RP for fun and kinda set a foundation for the SG could be great to break the ice and get a feel for things. I myself get really nervous when I start RPing (just like, writer anxiety and being paranoid that I don't know my character as well as I do, but I just need to get out of my head lol) but I'm still incredibly excited and determined to make this work!

I'd say all supers are welcome. I'm aiming for this group to be as inclusive as possible, except of human characters. I have this concept in mind that this group should foremost be a space for young adult supers to gather and uplift each other sort of thing. It's all about them, looking out for other supers, the whole deal.

Certainly :D. You can reach me @xcelsior41 in game whenever you're able. I'm currently brainstorming a toon around this specific concept(well, another magical toon around that concept that is :p)
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited June 2018
    Certainly :D. You can reach me @xcelsior41 in game whenever you're able. I'm currently brainstorming a toon around this specific concept(well, another magical toon around that concept that is :p)

Aaaahhh I am excite!! I'll do that for sure. Can't wait to hear about your character, too!

Second, while most governments appear to at least recognize the existence of magic and the supernatural, the majority of regular people don't believe in them any more than people in the real world do. They prefer to believe that supers who claim magical powers have more scientific (for a comic-book world) explanations for their abilities, and are just trying to fool the gullible. This mindset has been contributed to by centuries of the "Mystic World" sub-culture maintaining a covert bearing overall, despite the occasional high-profile "super-mage" hero or villain in the modern era. While from one perspective this might seem restrictive, the situation provides its own interesting role-playing possibilities.

I do have one lore question, to what extend does the government recognize magic itself? Are those rights given to undead and entities like them the full extent or are spellcasters acknowledged?

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited June 2018
    I do have one lore question, to what extend does the government recognize magic itself? Are those rights given to undead and entities like them the full extent or are spellcasters acknowledged?

That is actually pretty hard to pin down from what's provided in the source books. As Champions Universe p. 64 puts it, it's perhaps the nature of magic itself that it's difficult to define. There absolutely are government bodies dedicated to dealing with supernatural threats. In the United States the Department of Superhuman and Paranormal Affairs (DOSPA) is the cabinet-level agency responsible for all such affairs related to American security. It's organized into several subdivisions dealing with particular elements of superhumanity, including one for "Mystic Affairs." Japan has government agencies dedicated to specific types of paranormal threats; one of them, "Bureau 19," is focused on supernatural ones. And of course UNTIL maintains its Project Hermes researching ways to counter magical menaces to world security.

Now, to what degree that translates to officially-announced acknowledgement of magic's existence by any government remains unclear. Governments are typically wary of openly associating themselves with anything that might draw public ridicule, even if they're aware of it and perhaps privately supporting it. I would also be willing to bet there are factions within governments who deny the reality of magic even if presented with evidence. I mean, look at the controversy over global warming. ;) Finally, a lot of what's happening out in the Mystic World would be deeply unsettling and downright frightening for the average person to contemplate, so I wouldn't be surprised if governments deliberately say a lot less about it than they actually know. But all of that is just speculation.

Post edited by bulgarex on

That is actually pretty hard to pin down from what's provided in the source books. As Champions Universe p. 64 puts it, it's perhaps the nature of magic itself that it's difficult to define. There absolutely are government bodies dedicated to dealing with supernatural threats. In the United States the Department of Superhuman and Paranormal Affairs (DOSPA) is the cabinet-level agency responsible for all such affairs related to American security. It's organized into several subdivisions dealing with particular elements of superhumanity, including one for "Mystic Affairs." Japan has government agencies dedicated to specific types of paranormal threats; one of them, "Bureau 19," is focused on supernatural ones. And of course UNTIL maintains its Project Hermes researching ways to counter magical menaces to world security.

Now, to what degree that translates to officially-announced acknowledgement of magic's existence by any government remains unclear. Governments are typically wary of openly associating themselves with anything that might draw public ridicule, even if they're aware of it and perhaps privately supporting it. I would also be willing to bet there are factions within governments who deny the reality of magic even if presented with evidence. I mean, look at the controversy over global warming. ;) Finally, a lot of what's happening out in the Mystic World would be deeply unsettling and downright frightening for the average person to contemplate, so I wouldn't be surprised if governments deliberately say a lot less about it than they actually know. But all of that is just speculation.

Greatly appreciated as always! And as such the toon i'm brainstorming would probably understand this(Well, the whole "magic is scary to people" especially hers) and even goes as far as barely if ever using her magic outside of costumes

42 40s, LTSer.
    Just wanted to let you guys know that I purchased the Millennium City University PDF so if you want to read up on it to get a feel of any uni-related lore, just PM me! :)
    Or, um, maybe just buy it yourselves? I mean, it's only $2.00 US. ;)
    edited June 2018
    Or, um, maybe just buy it yourselves? I mean, it's only $2.00 US. ;)

Sharing is caring :p. Personally I've been wanting that magic world book for awhile. Seems like a fun read to be honest, even if not for RP(not that I'm against RP using it and all)

42 40s, LTSer.