test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Perk Store For Your Perk Points! + Making Some Perks More Useful

ph0toncann0nph0toncann0n Posts: 113 Community Moderator
edited May 2018 in Suggestions Box
Being awarded for a Perk earns a player a sort of point system. These points don't exactly serve a purpose in-game , at this time. Perhaps a sort of perk store should be implemented, one not unlike the Questionite store.

For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about: Here are the Perk Points currently shown on my main alt.
Cn0GVAb.png

You would be able to purchase certain perks for yourself in this store on a character-by-character basis. Maybe add completely new perks to its store, as well as move over perks much more difficult to come across nowadays, such as PvP- or Hero Games-based perks. You could also add the #StillStanding perk titles to this store (ergo "The," "Mistress," "Sir," "Impervious," etc.)

There's a whole thread about suggested perks; perhaps some perks found in there could be repurposed or even used for this store.

I would not encourage the ability to purchase work-in-progress perks, but others may disagree with me. It just feels weird to be able to buy a death perk by points, for example. It may also be too much trouble to move title/perk exchange vendors to this store in question...but it would be an option.

As for the second part of this suggestion! Several perks that exist now cannot be used as titles. Several new-release perks are certainly usable, but most perks in the entire game cannot be used. I would love it if I could call myself a "Canada Explorer," or note that I "Vanquished Therakiel," and so on so forth.

This may or may not be a large project to take on, but...I really would like to see those Perk Points go to use. And, for us perk-hunters, it would add a bit of flavor to our adventures.

UPDATE 5/29: It would seem that I didn't make it clear before which perks I did not see going into this store. No perks that have a counter to them need to be purchasable in the store. No in-progress perks. No enemy kill perks, no interact counter perks. No by-year event perks. None of those. Those are still to be earned. There is no "easy way" with those perks.

Perks I DO see working for the store: Old perks no longer normally accessible, "hidden" perks (so like easter egg exploration perks, but revamp them so they can also be perk titles), Hero Games perks, perks from the Perk Suggestions thread, Event Title Exchange Perks (we already have vendors who serve this purpose but it would be nice to have them all in one spot), etc. etc.

I could also see some special perks and emotes getting added exclusively to this store. There are a lot of emote suggestions coming about lately. Might be worth looking into.

Ultimately, I would like to see more titles readily available in this game, and a Perks Store may handle that.​​
|| Champion since Sept. of 2012 ||
uD82dqy.png
Endgame PvE - DPS Addict - Mature Roleplayer - Spectre - Storywriter - Perk Hunter - Altoholic - D.I.S.C.O.R.D.
Engel auf der Hölle | Death Excell | Ebon Carcass | Orb Weaver Von Deo | Peridot
Post edited by ph0toncann0n on

Comments

• shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    I support this :)​​
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    +1
    So long as it doesn't make getting the current 1k - 5k drop Enemy group X ones irrelavant, this would totally work! And the Devs could pull LOADS of title suggestions from the suggestions thread! Could have an awesome Vendor for it too!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Perk points serve the purpose of being able to compare your perk point total with other people. There used to be a perk store, it was a dumb idea and was gotten rid of.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Perk points serve the purpose of being able to compare your perk point total with other people. There used to be a perk store, it was a dumb idea and was gotten rid of.
    didn't that stuff get moved to the UNTIL rec vendor?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • ph0toncann0nph0toncann0n Posts: 113 Community Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Deleted​​
    Post edited by ph0toncann0n on
    uD82dqy.png
    Endgame PvE - DPS Addict - Mature Roleplayer - Spectre - Storywriter - Perk Hunter - Altoholic - D.I.S.C.O.R.D.
    Engel auf der Hölle | Death Excell | Ebon Carcass | Orb Weaver Von Deo | Peridot

Um...Well, I would not want to see the perk points exist for the sole purpose of comparing with each other. That sounds like another certain measurement-based contest not likely appropriate to blatantly reference here on the forums. onion-55.gif

We could always have a permanent counter somewhere, that tells you your grand Perk Points, no matter what ends up being spent. That way those who have fun comparing their counter with each other can always do that.

I and other players in the community have a lot of fun collecting perks; it's its own little adventure. As an avid RPer, I just like to see thematic titles over my head. I don't believe it would do good to try and compare an unsuccessful Perk Store concept with a fresh one...So I don't want this to become that. A new angle should be taken with the idea, and who knows? Maybe the current playerbase would be more well-receiving of a Perk Store.
    +1
    So long as it doesn't make getting the current 1k - 5k drop Enemy group X ones irrelavant, this would totally work! And the Devs could pull LOADS of title suggestions from the suggestions thread! Could have an awesome Vendor for it too!

That was exactly my thinking! I wouldn't suggest adding the counter perks to the store for purchase. Those aught to still be earned. That's why I suggested applying some perks listed in the Title Suggestion Thread instead.

=================

To add onto my original post: It may also be beneficial to transfer all event title vendors into the Perk Store for ease of access, and to possibly apply them all to one NPC. Toy Master already gets used for event AF Title Perks, so perhaps he should be considered for the ultimate Perk Store Vendor. onion-13.gif​​
    uD82dqy.png
    Perks already give you things.. well some of them. I personally love the perk for the ragged cape option. :D
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited May 2018
    Perks already give you things.. well some of them. I personally love the perk for the ragged cape option. :D

Not sure what you're trying to say, here? Perk Store would let you buy new or no-longer-accessible perks with Perk Points. Not so much costumes/devices, unless exchange vendors are added in.​​
    uD82dqy.png
    Not sure what you're trying to say, here? Perk Store would let you buy new or no-longer-accessible perks with Perk Points. Not so much costumes/devices, unless exchange vendors are added in.​​
    Perks like what? not sure why this is a good thing...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    The only perks I would like this for would be ones that cannot be obtained anymore. Otherwise, go out and do the thing to get the perk.

For instance, if you want the "Magic Dance" perk, go dance with Bowie in game. It can be done still.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • i would only put in perks that can be missed over the course of normal gameplay...like all those ones in the tutorial and the various crisis zones

perks from deprecated events like prior anniversaries, well...you should've been here for it​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    edited May 2018
    Okay, so perhaps I didn't make the point clear in my original or second posts. I'll try again!

No perks that have a counter to them need to be purchasable in the store. No in-progress perks. No enemy kill perks, no interact counter perks. No by-year event perks. None of those. Those are still to be earned. There is no "easy way" with those perks. Maybe that'll get caught this time.

Perks that I can see going into the store: Old perks no longer normally accessible, "hidden" perks (so like easter egg exploration perks, but revamp them so they can also be perk titles), Hero Games perks, perks from the Perk Suggestions thread, Event Title Exchange Perks (we already have vendors who serve this purpose but it would be nice to have them all in one spot), etc. etc.

I will also add these to the original post to avoid further confusion. Sorry I was not clear enough before!​​
    uD82dqy.png
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I can think of no good reason to allow alternate means of obtaining any perks. The whole point of perks is that they mark something you've done. Yes, there are perks that can no longer be obtained, or which can be missed and you can never go back and do them. So be it.
    I can think of no good reason to allow alternate means of obtaining any perks. The whole point of perks is that they mark something you've done. Yes, there are perks that can no longer be obtained, or which can be missed and you can never go back and do them. So be it.

Perk titles tho, especially new ones.​​
    uD82dqy.png
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    The "new" perk titles from Still Standing have been given out for free on at least one other occasion, maybe two.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I'm not so sure using perk points as a currency is a good idea since they are essentially finite. You could spend all your perk points on stuff, only to have more stuff come out that you may not be able to acquire because you're "out of perks to chase."

Granted, there's a lot of perks to chase, but they are still limited in supply overall.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • grievehartgrievehart Posts: 192 Arc User

Why not use perks point as some kind of in game "reputation / notoriety" indicator visible near players names above avatar's head ?

After all, perks points are earned by achieving story arcs, defeating bosses or colossal amounts of mobs, accomplishing specific actions, gathering clues and lore, exploring the world, etc... so, in some way these points are representative of the involvment of your character in Champions Online world, story and events, so his reputation and notoriety in the game world.

As i imagine it, it would be some kind of nice icon before and after the character name, the nature and number of icon would depend about the number of perks points on that char.

Example:
    (I do not know how much perks point you can achieve in this game at max, so values i take are just for example)

- 0 perks point : standard name display ( "Playerheroname")

- 5000 perks points : Name surrounded by bronze medals (" 1 bronze medal" "PlayerHeroname" "1 bronze medal")

- 10000 perks points : Name surrounded by silver cups (" 1 silver cup" "PlayerHeroname" "1 silver cup")

- 15000 perks points: Name surrounded by 2 silver cups (" 2 silver cups" "PlayerHeroname" "2 silver cups")

- 20000 perks points : Name surrounded by 3 silver cups (" 3 silver cups" "PlayerHeroname" "3 silver cups")

- 25000 perks points : Name surrounded by gold stars (" 1 gold star" "PlayerHeroname" "1 gold star")

- 30000 perks points : Name surrounded by 2 gold stars ("2 gold stars" "PlayerHeroname" "2 gold stars")

- 35000 perks points : Name surrounded by 3 gold stars ("3 gold stars" "PlayerHeroname" "3 gold stars")

Advantages of this:

- Making perks points usefull

- Valorizing players who have completed a lot of things by making it appear directly on them, and so making it visible for everyone

- Pushing players to (re)visit the game, explore everything and actively hunt for perks on all their chars to increase their notoriety and improving their name's appearence.

- With a slight revisit and an increase of perks points rewards for hard things like number of Eido kills, it could be a source of motivation for endgame players who have already everything to farm these bosses again.
    I'm pretty sure some players would appreciate to shine in ren cen with their 3 gold stars chars names and show the world how valuable and badass they are without having to say it.

Would that cause UI problems, though? I'm really not sure. I suppose it would be fine, if you could toggle it off much in the way you can toggle player names off.​​
    uD82dqy.png