test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Nemesis Alert

Ok, first let me say, I'm DELIGHTED to see the Nemesis system is FINALLY getting some of the attention it deserves. I specifically resubbed to try out the new alert.

I'm disappointed. It's like they crammed all the most annoying game elements imaginable into one alert.

Spoilers ahead if you haven't done it and want to be surprised.

So, we go in and fight an army of bad guys. Good enough, they were tough but not overwhelming... as it should be. Good so far.

Next room is a LOT of thugs and a bunch of laser cannons behind force fields. Teamwork needed to disable the fields long enough to kill the lasers, again not overwhelming, but challenging. STILL good, except that our travel powers are disabled... AGAIN.

Then, the floor suddenly kills you. No warning, nothing, you just suddenly fall over dead. When you reenter the room, the floor is all electrified, instant death, so you can't cross over to the teleporter to get up to the next level. Eventually it spawns another teleporter so you can go up.

So, on the upper level there's a million bad guys. You go to fight them, and something unseen throws you off, back to the floor where you get instant death. You repeat this about 50, 60 or more times until eventually someone does something, and you start floating in midair, as if you have flight... except you can't stop moving. There are consoles to interact with, but between the floating and the 123432234234234 bad guys attacking, there's no way I could see to interact with them...

And then suddenly, the mission ended. I saw no Nemesis, just hundreds and hundreds of generic bad guys.

Apart from the lame unblockable, unavoidable, untelegraphed (as if it mattered) instant death knockback whatever it was, the mission wasn't overwhelming.

I would have liked to see more information about the stages.

That is, before going into the laser cannon room, perhaps a little cutscene to show us the consoles that turn off the force fields. Then, before going to to upper level, some Nemesis cutscene where they rant about whatever weapon they were using to knock you around... so you had some chance of avoiding or defending against it.

Finally, I would have liked to see the Nemesis at some point, perhaps all the generic bad guys flee when the Nemesis is first defeated. The Nemesis should then revive and fight alone against the heroes at a greater level of power... so we can all participate in the actual Nemesis fight.

Again, I intend this as constructive criticism. I'm glad to see some action on the Nemesis front, I've LONG held that it's one of the best parts of the game.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1108521

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    Check the other forum posts about how this mission works. Will solve most of the issues mentioned.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    The alert is currently missing its cutscenes but the devs tell us they will be ready by next time...

The nemesis is always there, on the upper platform behind the forcefield...after the forcefield is destroyed the room loses gravity and you are able to fight the nemesis(they can be a bit hard to find in the sea of enemies sometimes.) While on the platform there is a large wireframe sphere that pops up before the knockback happens, block until you see a flash in the center of the core and you will not be knocked off the platform.

The first room in the alert has a computer terminal with a question mark on the screen, clicking on that and reading what it says should also make things a little clearer.

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Apart from the lame unblockable, unavoidable, untelegraphed (as if it mattered) instant death knockback whatever it was, the mission wasn't overwhelming.

It's telegraphed by a giant bubble that envelops the entire upper platform, and is in fact blockable.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Save The Earth Tips and walk-through.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • colonelmarikcolonelmarik Posts: 185 Arc User
    Handy replies! I'll try it again and let you know how it goes.
    Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

So, tried it again, had a similar result. The phase of the mission where we go up to the upper level was just a string of unblockable, unavoidable, untelegraphed knocks into a guaranteed death. Over and over and over again. Couple that with endlessly spawning millions of thugs preventing you doing much of anything... and THEN it's a generic nemesis.

Not much fun to be had here.

• riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    So, tried it again, had a similar result. The phase of the mission where we go up to the upper level was just a string of unblockable, unavoidable, untelegraphed knocks into a guaranteed death. Over and over and over again. Couple that with endlessly spawning millions of thugs preventing you doing much of anything... and THEN it's a generic nemesis.

I'm not the best player and my computer is a refurbished old office PC. But I can easily see the wire-frame warnings, and then block. So my guess is you're not recognizing the tell before the knock occurs. It's a giant blue bubble of energy that surrounds the entire upper level a few seconds before the knock. :

Here's the Video Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzMoIQskvfA

I hope that helps.

Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!

Most seem to be doing fine with it. You'll just have to avoid it I guess, wasn't meant for you.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I ran this once. I was lucky enough to have a team who knew what to do as I did not. I just followed people.

It was fun to a degree, probably just different than fun...it does need a cutscene, especially introducing Nem. I didn’t realize it was mine I was killing until about half way.

The reward seemed low compared to difficulty, running one alert and two of my normal nemesis missions I came out with a grand total of 30 tokens.

When you compare that with the cost of items....it’s not worth the farm. Maybe will join every so often and hope for a drop but that’s it.
    I've been running this alert quite a lot (a lot for me anyway so like 3 or 5 times a day) It is rare for me to end up on a team that cannot win these days but it still happens sometimes. More often it has become a stroll in the park(albeit a park located in a bad neighborhood at 2:37am...) I think I must just be getting really lucky with PUGs. I have obtained a single emote drop and earned around 300 tokens spread out across 3 characters... so yeah the rewards are not really that great and I think lots of the stuff in the nem store is overpriced, but that doesn't bother me much because personally there are only one or two items in the store that I actually want to buy. When things go smoothly I think this alert is a lot of fun but when things go badly it can become frustrating quickly.

• warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,075 Arc User
    Too many mobs. Just need to tone that back a little. Then it should be generally PUGable by just about any character mix. Plus needs the cut scenes to explain wassup.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I ran this once. I was lucky enough to have a team who knew what to do as I did not. I just followed people.

It was fun to a degree, probably just different than fun...it does need a cutscene, especially introducing Nem. I didn’t realize it was mine I was killing until about half way.

The reward seemed low compared to difficulty, running one alert and two of my normal nemesis missions I came out with a grand total of 30 tokens.

When you compare that with the cost of items....it’s not worth the farm. Maybe will join every so often and hope for a drop but that’s it.

You will get most of your tokens through the Nemesis story arc. Bigger Nemesis missions, like Prison Break, of the one with the Draysha lab on Monster Island, net something like 20 tokens each for my main.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User

I am not sure why you are not seeing the wire-frame blue bubbles that comes out to warn you that you are about to be knocked. You may want to zoom out during the upper platform fight because if you cannot see off the edge of the platform (the blacker area) then you may not see it because it is blue on blue.

As for the Nemesis it is only generic if the person selected did not make a Nemesis... I really feel it should ONLY pick from players who have made a Nemesis but not my call.

Be glad you have been having an easy go in the Turret room. Sometimes it decides to get evil down there and instead of Aggroing one group at a time you Aggro the ENTIRE ROOM at once and four groups spawn in to join that mob. It gets really hard to survive even for tanks.

The other night I had that happen again and I was on my best healer. OMG it is a miracle we survived but my Healer managed to outheal even that stupid amount of damage and the tank managed to keep their attention mostly alright. It was hairy but that is the first time I've seen that work in a PUG.
  • folv#5303 folv Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I ran into the exact same issue. Ironically, in my first attempt we actually happened to encounter my nemesis which was exciting. But my giddy quickly turned into unbridled rage as I got flung down to electric avenue every 5 seconds to my death without much explanation. As mentioned above, I will check out that guide, but it's a shame my first experience with this content was so terrible.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    1) Ok, first let me say, I'm DELIGHTED to see the Nemesis system is FINALLY getting some of the attention it deserves. I specifically resubbed to try out the new alert.

2) STILL good, except that our travel powers are disabled... AGAIN.

3) Then, the floor suddenly kills you. No warning, nothing, you just suddenly fall over dead. When you reenter the room, the floor is all electrified, instant death, so you can't cross over to the teleporter to get up to the next level. Eventually it spawns another teleporter so you can go up.

4) You repeat this about 50, 60 or more times until eventually someone does something, and you start floating in midair, as if you have flight... except you can't stop moving. There are consoles to interact with, but between the floating and the 123432234234234 bad guys attacking, there's no way I could see to interact with them...

5) And then suddenly, the mission ended. I saw no Nemesis, just hundreds and hundreds of generic bad guys.

6) Apart from the lame unblockable, unavoidable, untelegraphed (as if it mattered) instant death knockback whatever it was, the mission wasn't overwhelming.

7) I would have liked to see more information about the stages.

8)Finally, I would have liked to see the Nemesis at some point, perhaps all the generic bad guys flee when the Nemesis is first defeated. The Nemesis should then revive and fight alone against the heroes at a greater level of power... so we can all participate in the actual Nemesis fight.

I modified your post a bit to make it easier to take this in order....

1) This isn't exactly "attention being given to the nemesis system". It's our carious nemeses being used for something in addition to the same stuff, sometimes broken stuff, that had been in the game for so long now.

2) This is only temporary. More on this later.

3) There is a warning. Pops upon screen telling you that you have ten seconds to get to a platform. There isn't anywhere in the room that you will not be able to get to one of the two platforms within ten seconds.

There is also no need to cross over if you have to respawn. The game doesn't spawn the teleporters, the players do. A little glowing console on both platforms.

4) There are force fields that need to be destroyed first. They are not obvious, though, so tab through some targets if you need to to find them.

By the time you start floating, though, the consoles can be interacted with. It's only while the force field is up that you can not because they are on the other side.

Also, once the gravity goes off the travel powers work again, so if you can fly in some fashion it is recommended that you do so now.
    And finally, there is a crate in the entry room that has some gravity belts. These stop your movement with a click, so even if you are floating around otherwise uncontrolled, you can click the belt if you have one equipped and it will stop you in your tracks.

5) The nemesis is also on the upper level, also behind the force field when you get up there. When the field goes down, just as you can interact with the consoles, so can you interact with the nemesis and the inner core force fields. Those are the three different victory methods. Once the upper force field goes down (when the gravity cuts off), that is when the mission timer starts and you have to succeed at one of the three victory conditions.

6) The knockback is signaled with a blue wireframe. Do not keep your camera pointed inwards towards the core and it is easier to see the tell.
    It is fully blockable and if you block right you will not be knocked back. Also? If you make sure that you are lined up with a platform you will get knocked to that and not die as well, though this isn't entirely practical and it's easier just to block.

7) They are working on cutscenes, but there is a console off to the side in the first room that explains things a bit.

8) Again, the nemesis is there, and defeating them is usually the easiest and fastest way to score a win, so if your group won? You were probably floating around fighting minions while the rest of your team, or at least enough of them, were fighting the nemesis.

As mentioned, there is a thread or two on this alert around here that explains things a bit better, and again, hopefully cutscenes will be there by the time it rolls around in regular alert rotation.
    To clarify.... I know there is supposed to be a blue wireframe warning. It only appears occasionally. I also know you're supposed to be able to block the knock. That also only works occasionally.

To clarify.... I know there is supposed to be a blue wireframe warning. It only appears occasionally. I also know you're supposed to be able to block the knock. That also only works occasionally.

The wireframe shows up every single time for me, and I can block the knock every single time. Issue must be on your end. Have you checked your ping? Type /netgraph 1
    yeah sorry if you're still not seeing the wire frame when it pops up it is probably a technical issue on yor end and I cannot begin to guess what might be causing that. I see it every time and the only time I fail to block it is when I press the wrong button or when my finger slips off the shift key.

• roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Are you playing in first person or right over-the-shoulder mode, so to speak? When zoomed in really close, the wireframe tell is very hard to spot.

I play fairly zoomed out for that fight.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.