test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Martial Arts / Staff Warrior

magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
I was thinking about making an old tabletop RPG character of mine in CO and realised that what I wanted to make wasn't really there. Almost but not quite! The character was a Daredevil type martial arts character whose powers revolved around their physical agility/gymnast skills combined with a technologically enhanced staff. The game we were playing back then had a campaign system in which your character was ranked by how they appeared to the public. Blade-equipped characters were seen as threatening so a character who outwitted their opponents through nimbleness and skill was seen as the way to go.

I appreciate that the game doesn't have two-handed weapon animations of this kind (I think they have them in Neverwinter, IIRC) but single-handed/laser sword types would do (imagine a weapon clutched in the centre rather than the hilt, and a staff weapon skin (or staves). Power wise the set would sit between single blade and MA with an emphasis on Crushing effects, stuns and Stagger (so nothing new in terms of buffs/debuffs, just using some underused existing ones). The powers might proc faster than others, though; a kind of nimble MA fighting style rather than the ponderous crush of HW. You'd need a EB, single target combo attack, PBAoE (with stun advantage), lunge (SB already has one of these which would work), block and "finish him" style attack (perhaps using the overhead strike animation from Heavy Weapons?). An alternative for this closer attack is a two handed staff strike with an effect very much like Open Palm Strike from MA - big damage and significant knock back. Advantages to add synergies with other powersets (like MA/Chi Power would be nice, as well as some flashy hit VFX). This would all combine quite nicely with the existing MA passives, so players could have an effective choice of DPS, Dodge or Tank builds.

If it's possible to make this character in the current game I'd like to know (as I've run out of ideas otherwise!) but if not I'd like to add it to the big pile of suggestions....